Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005
im glad i have smilies, like :downs:, to express myself without using such distasteful language.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
despite the smilie code i think :downs: more closely resembles fetal alcohol syndrome

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

As a late-20s millennial, I was raised to have a love for calling things "retarded" so much and I will never forgive the liberals for taking that away from me. Yeah it's derogatory and crude, it's an insult. That's the point.

Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008

samantonio posted:

Scenario:

Hm, there's a dude over there. What level of lovely should I make him feel. Well, I'm an intellectual leftist, so I should probably make him feel the lowest level of lovely.

"Hey. Dude. You're a terrible person."

Yeah, that's how us leftists put down others. There was very little harm done. He'll feel better tomorrow.

Alternative Scenario:

"Hey. Dude. Cool hat."

Dude, continuing to hit a black guy on the ground with a bat: "Thanks, I bought it from the Trump store!"

Mirello
Jan 29, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
Yeah this isn't an old guy or young guy thing. I'm 27 and I love it. Maybe sooners don't say it, I dunno

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
i don't think i've ever worked a job where you could get in trouble for just saying it, like offhandedly to a coworker or something

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

I got fired from the library for calling Curious George a retarded monkey.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde
yeah but he isn't, curious george is just french

no library should ever tolerate francophobia

Pentecoastal Elites
Feb 27, 2007

my mom was a (very good) special ed teacher in a dirt poor district so ever since like jr high or so my brother and I were roped in to tons of time "volunteering" in afterschool stuff she set up for her kids because a lot of them were pretty profoundly disabled and often times the parents really needed help or unfortunately were like totally checked out. The class was, iirc, 1st-4th grade (I think?) and her students were always really sweet and adorable little kids genuinely trying their best with the bad hand they were dealt, but of course because it's that age every time there was anything involving a "regular" class or whatever like a field day there'd always be kids that had like zero qualms about calling them retards. most of my mom's students it just bounced off of because they didn't and couldn't really figure out what that meant, but some kids who weren't that severe knew what it meant or could have sort of pieced it together and it was always really just totally heartbreaking to see these sweet little guys just like full on fuckin smacked with the reminder they were broken in a way they couldn't understand and couldn't get better. for that reason I, personally, can't use the word and get insanely heated when someone uses it to disparage someone with mental disabilities (which is thankfully incredibly rare outside of grade school)

that said

I also think if you're not using it to make someone feel bad about a disability they might have it's not actually a big deal whatsoever, especially on the loving internet. even though I don't like using the word myself if you wanted to get on twitter dot com and call andrew cuomo a pasta brained retard I would proudly stand with you in solidarity

anwyay I guess my thing is that the word retard - or any insult, for that matter - is bad when you're using it against someone who can't fight back in any meaningful way, and if you're on something awful and someone calls you retarded you can tell them to suck the poo poo out of your rear end in a top hat and there you go

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 200 days!

some plague rats posted:

Okay but are you pro or anti saying retard

anti, at least in the context of a left-wing politics board. but i respect a rap sheet that backs up just generally being willing to take a probe for being an rear end. even though i think as an argument the idea that just being an rear end in a top hat absolves everything is incorrect, as context a record of being an rear end in a top hat but also okay with paying the price for that on a regular basis at least tells me it's being made with some sincerity in this specific case.

even though the backlash against identity politics is real, i think in the context of trying to build a left-wing political space it's important to keep in mind that just because the libs turn something to bullshit doesn't mean there isn't a version of it with value. socially, sure, i don't expect anything much beyond not being a psycho racist. politically, if you aren't willing to put the grand effort towards showing solidarity and compassion towards others of not using a word that fyad can barely make funny while specifically discussing politics in a left wing forum, you can gently caress off.

which comes off as a hard line, but in reality "succ zones with clearly-drawn boundaries" is probably where i'd land. hell we can have subforums now. you can be freegoons on the succ.

Hodgepodge has issued a correction as of 06:34 on Jan 25, 2021

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Hodgepodge posted:

anti, at least in the context of a left-wing politics board. but i respect a rap sheet that backs up just generally being willing to take a probe for being an rear end. even though i think as an argument the idea that just being an rear end in a top hat absolves everything is incorrect, as context a record of being an rear end in a top hat but also okay with paying the price for that on a regular basis at least tells me it's being made with some sincerity in this specific case.

even though the backlash against identity politics is real, i think in the context of trying to build a left-wing political space it's important to keep in mind that just because the libs turn something to bullshit doesn't mean there isn't a version of it with value. socially, sure, i don't expect anything much beyond not being a psycho racist. politically, if you aren't willing to put the grand effort towards showing solidarity and compassion towards others of not using a word that fyad can barely make funny while specifically discussing politics in a left wing forum, you can gently caress off.

which comes off as a hard line, but in reality "succ zones with clearly-drawn boundaries" is probably where i'd land. hell we can have subforums now. you can be freegoons on the succ.

hmm. What is the correct number of probations for being an rear end in a top hat required to say it. Because I must have enough for an r-word pass by now

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 200 days!

some plague rats posted:

hmm. What is the correct number of probations for being an rear end in a top hat required to say it. Because I must have enough for an r-word pass by now

its more that i think you're being honest and not just throwing it out as cover than a pass

pondering a system in which users may be crowned "sofa king," granting an rword pass in exchange for user text which makes it clear that it is their word

e: also, other users may, using polite and respectful language, acknowledge these posters' brave choice to self-identify as mentally challenged

Hodgepodge has issued a correction as of 07:04 on Jan 25, 2021

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Hodgepodge posted:

its more that i think you're being honest and not just throwing it out as cover than a pass

pondering a system in which users may be crowned "sofa king," granting an rword pass in exchange for user text which makes it clear that it is their word

e: also, other users may, using polite and respectful language, acknowledge these posters' brave choice to self-identify as mentally challenged

I'm nodding, respectfully.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 200 days!

some plague rats posted:

I'm nodding, respectfully.

solidarity with the mentally challenged achieved gently caress yeah dont tell capital or they might gently caress with funding though

bird.
Jun 20, 2010

wow this is many pages of posts stanning everyones favorite gamer word!!! gofd work cspam

bird.
Jun 20, 2010

this thread was a honey pot trap to find out howb old everyone in cspam is and its been wildly successful

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

bird. posted:

this thread was a honey pot trap to find out howb old everyone in cspam is and its been wildly successful

I’m actually a little surprised at how many grown adults are aggressively defending their right to say a word most commonly used by 7th grade bullies.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Lol at all the cspammers defending their use of the r word. gently caress this.

lil poopendorfer
Nov 13, 2014

by the sex ghost
Retard as a verb is a perfectly fine word, and there’s no direct synonym for things like “fire retardant”. Kinda wish it could be used in that sense without raising eyebrows. Used in a pejorative sense, I don’t see the distinction between retard and other antiquated medical terms.

That said, IDD folks and their advocates all say it’s hurtful and shouldn’t be used. To me that’s the end of discussion if you wanna be an ally, but ymmv I guess

Fluoride Jones
Aug 24, 2009

toot toot

Stereotype posted:

I’m actually a little surprised at how many grown adults are aggressively defending their right to say a word most commonly used by 7th grade bullies.

If you wanted to have a thread where you get to chastise people for using an insult you don't like then maybe call your thread "post itt to get scolded for using the r word" instead of "let's talk about the r word"

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

I know I posted the "bad means effeminate/hermaphrodite" link, but I'm not going to die on the hill of retard posting and idgaf if it remains probatable. I would never use it to describe someone who was actually mentally disabled and I've made an effort to stop using it otherwise, although sometimes I slip up among friends who still use it casually. There are plenty of other words available. That said, I dunno where the line is exactly. I've hung out in places where the term "dumb" was policed for being ableist, but words like "stupid", "idiot", "imbecile" and the like were not, which just seems arbitrary at that point.

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

I am willing to die on retard hill.

Aceofblue
Feb 26, 2009

Stereotype posted:

Grevling
Dec 18, 2016

spacemang_spliff posted:

when I took french in high school I turned something in late and I got it back with half the points taken off and at the top of the page in all caps and underlined was the word RETARD. I was like 'wtf is this bitch's problem???" and i was going to raise a stink until my friend pointed out that she was saying my homework was late

I took Italian and had a similar experience, I was late one time and the whole class laughed their asses off because it sounded like the teacher called me a "ritardo".

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

Fluoride Jones posted:

If you wanted to have a thread where you get to chastise people for using an insult you don't like then maybe call your thread "post itt to get scolded for using the r word" instead of "let's talk about the r word"

Bad faith is how libs do business on the whole.

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Homeless Friend posted:

have a word filter that filters the 'r word' to https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=am0pQx-dSpk

lmao

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

a new study bible! posted:

I am willing to die on retard hill.

i think a lot of people were saying this on jan. 6

Small Gay Planet
Aug 2, 2019

by Fluffdaddy

Fluoride Jones posted:

i would never use the word among actual people but will happily do so in a farcical terminally lib-brained thread like this

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I am Metango, Galactic Governor

my father was sniped by the r word in nam

Stinky Wizzleteats
Nov 26, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
A r-word, if you can keep it

bird.
Jun 20, 2010

me, going into my posting garage znd opening up my tool kit to see a bright shiny r-word,, caressing it nostalgically: "man they just dont make 'em like this anymore"

HORSE-SLAUGHTERER
Nov 11, 2020

H O R S E - S L A U G H T E R E R
is it bad to call somebody a monger

Badactura
Feb 14, 2019

My wish lives in the future.
Like a cheesemonger? Not unless they hate cheese sales I guess

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
Reading the thread it seems like the OP and a handful of others are ultimately of the belief that no matter the word that is used you shouldn't use any version of ’you have low intelligence' as an insult under any circumstances and good luck with that.

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.
Is there any solution to "ableist slurs" that isn't just everyone has to be be nice to everyone else all the time?

I don't think you can eradicate conflict and there's always going to be words that exist to be a jerk to other people.

Badactura
Feb 14, 2019

My wish lives in the future.
I think it's don't insult people based on immutable characteristics they didn't choose. This idea relies on there being a difference between 'acting stupid' and 'being stupid ontologically' and that there is such a thing as free will, so if you don't believe in those things it's a stupid argument. Also it would require not calling people psychos and stuff which I personally don't want to stop doing

Viginti Septem
Jan 9, 2021

Oculus Noctuae

500excf type r posted:

Is there any solution to "ableist slurs" that isn't just everyone has to be be nice to everyone else all the time?

I don't think you can eradicate conflict and there's always going to be words that exist to be a jerk to other people.

What a wild concept. Being nice to others all the time.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
https://twitter.com/yesterdaysprint/status/1353483631679787010?s=19

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

samantonio posted:

This guy wants to kiss nazis right on the lips.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pentecoastal Elites
Feb 27, 2007

samantonio posted:

being pathologically nice always to everyone seems hosed up and unhealthy, yeah