Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

The Question IRL posted:

Given the number of clients I have represented who with substance abuse problems, or mental health issues or who have had adverse reactions when they combined alcohol with certain medications, or clients who have used substances and been unable to look after their children, or clients who have taken substances then been caught drug driving because their vulnerable parent had to be brought to hospital, the conclusion I have come to is not everyone can do psychedelics.
There is always going to be a percentage of the population who will not be able to use them. And the more mainstream they become, the more of a tease it will be for the people who can't use it.

Sort of like how bad our alcohol promoting culture is for people who are alcoholics trying to stay sober.
The big modern promoters of psychedelics seem to be hopeful that they'll work as a treatment for alcohol or tobacco or opioid misuse or PTSD or other trauma, and seem to be getting some success there.

It's probably not going to work for everyone, but the same's true for 12 step or hypnotherapy or anything else that sells itself as a cure. The mainstreaming is only necessary because we spent decades claiming that there's no legitimate uses for psychedelics at all, and banning any research into possible legitimate uses on the basis that there's no legitimate uses. If it weren't for that they'd probably have had a boom in the past century and then gone back to the psychotherapy circles where they originated.

e: Entry #149 in Alexander Shulgin's work on phenethylamines is 4-Thiobutoxy-3,5-dimethoxy-PEA, described as 'pleasant but not psychedelic', with a mild edge bringing to mind sardines and tomato sauce, and of 'possible use in depression.'

Guavanaut fucked around with this message at 14:24 on Jan 25, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Theodyn
Oct 12, 2012

I like all kinds of alcohol. Except schnapps. Schnapps can go to hell.
As with any drug, dosage is extremely important. If you've never taken acid before, then you shouldn't start with a couple of tabs, or even a full tab. The first time I took acid, I had a half tab and had a lovely night, whereas a friend of mine took two full tabs because she didn't think the first was doing anything and had a horrifying night which turned her off psychedelics forever.

Obviously it's highly subjective from person to person - there's a lot of things which should go into a good psychedelic experience (setting, time, environment, comfort level, etc.), but even with everything right some people will never have a positive experience on psychedelics - we're all different, after all.

For me, I find psychedelics extremely beneficial in a therapeutic sense (I suffer from sad brains and anxiety) and they do help me to rediscover passions I'd thought I'd lost, or discover new ones. My wife and I will occasionally each take acid and spend the night talking and watching movies - we do that anyway but psychedelics just enhance the experience.

It may be navel-gazing, but I know I'm far from the only person who's found psychedelics therapeutic instead of terrifying. If you're going to do it, just don't take a dose you don't know if you can handle, and don't take anything if you don't feel like taking it (and know you won't be good for much else for the next X amount of hours).

YMMV though, as with all things.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!

Failed Imagineer posted:

https://twitter.com/jonronson/status/1353333043512160257?s=19

Fuckkkk I am confused and excited, high chance of this series mindfucking me enough that I'll need an LSD reboot

Obligatory

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x1bX3F7uTrg

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

Guavanaut posted:

e: Entry #149 in Alexander Shulgin's work on phenethylamines is 4-Thiobutoxy-3,5-dimethoxy-PEA, described as 'pleasant but not psychedelic', with a mild edge bringing to mind sardines and tomato sauce, and of 'possible use in depression.'

Just reminded me of my god-awful lunch that I just had half a tin of carrots and half a tin of sardines in tom sauce, to be followed by the same for tea tonight: the other half tins of carrots and sardines in tomato sauce. (My weekly circulation of something in my apocalypse stash!). I don't feel a bit psychedelicized as a result, more 'when will this nightmare end'.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
*blasts kids with unshielded high power X-rays from eyes* Oh no, they're about to accept a cigarette!

e: ^^ I think that's what he was going for, an on-edge mild dysphoric feeling that isn't catastrophic but more like an unusual lunch.

e2: Re-reading it, it may also have been nothing more profound than that he had an unusual lunch a few hours before the test, and was reminiscing about it.

Guavanaut fucked around with this message at 14:45 on Jan 25, 2021

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Cigarettes are shite, all i got after six months was some yellow stained fingers and a lot of spare matches.

Alcohol; if it's in the house i'll drink it eventually so other than the xmas season i limit my purchases as i can get it discounted, this xmas i had 2 bottles of Makers Mark, 6 bottles of Baileys and a bottle of red wine (1/2 went into a marinade).... i appear to have been in a Baileys mood this year and no gin or cider for a change.

Diamorphine is ace, though that was after surgery but the absence of pain is wonderful and while on Kapek i had a few glasses of red wine: spent the next few hours staring at the pretty colours on the perfectly white ceiling. :goshawk:

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

CoolCab posted:

i have done everything except heroin, crack cocaine, extremely esoteric pharmas and mushrooms, weirdly. i don't understand how anyone can face life totally sober.

I don't even have a choice about it.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Just Another Lurker posted:

Cigarettes are shite, all i got after six months was some yellow stained fingers and a lot of spare matches.

I generally only ever smoke when I'm drunk enough to forget how horrible it is and someone offers. I always regret it as soon as I've sobered up and feel like someone's shoved a razorblade down my throat.

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

If you're not striving to improve, you'll end up going backwards.

stev posted:

I generally only ever smoke when I'm drunk enough to forget how horrible it is and someone offers. I always regret it as soon as I've sobered up and feel like someone's shoved a razorblade down my throat.

You arent supposed to eat the cigarette

TRIXNET
Jun 6, 2004

META AS FUCK.
I forgot to buy haggis for today, curses!!

Happy Burns Night to all that are celebrating. :)

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

CyberPingu posted:

don't goatshame

Ash Crimson
Apr 4, 2010

SpicePro posted:

I forgot to buy haggis for today, curses!!

Happy Burns Night to all that are celebrating. :)

we dont do scottish things in the ukmt okay

do you understand

this is a strictly british thread only

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

CyberPingu posted:

They're like cylindrical creme eggs right?

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

Ash Crimson posted:

we dont do scottish things in the ukmt okay

do you understand

this is a strictly british thread only

Wheesht or ill pan a haggis aff yer heid

Overminty
Mar 16, 2010

You may wonder what I am doing while reading your posts..

I had haggis on saturday. And yesterday. And today.

loving love the stuff, me.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Having pasta for dinner tonight like a proper Scot.

MeinPanzer
Dec 20, 2004
anyone who reads Cinema Discusso for anything more than slackjawed trolling will see the shittiness in my posts
My wife and I live in Scotland and my mum back in Canada was diagnosed with terminal cancer recently, so we chose to travel to Canada at the beginning of December to spend time with and care for her. After the new lockdown was imposed, we arranged to stay there and work remotely, but now we're facing the prospect of having to pay to cover a quarantine hotel after we get back.

gently caress. We arranged everything as carefully as possible so that all we needed to do was take our car parked at the airport home and then quarantine for the full period. Now we're probably going to be out thousands of pounds and liable to pay the same amount if we return to visit again later this year :(.

notaspy
Mar 22, 2009

Failed Imagineer posted:

https://twitter.com/jonronson/status/1353333043512160257?s=19

Fuckkkk I am confused and excited, high chance of this series mindfucking me enough that I'll need an LSD reboot

Just remember that Adam is a big ol' liberal libertarian, so it will be all "this is awful, but there is nothing to be done".

It will still be awesome. He is up there with the fox killer and oborne as people who will get a nice spot against the wall.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I wish I knew somewhere that did nice haggis, the tinned stuff is horrible.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

notaspy posted:

Just remember that Adam is a big ol' liberal libertarian, so it will be all "this is awful, but there is nothing to be done".

You mean..." Oh dearism"?

notaspy
Mar 22, 2009

Failed Imagineer posted:

You mean..." Oh dearism"?

I thought so, but that was a lie

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

notaspy posted:

I thought so, but that was a lie

:hmmyes:

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

forkboy84 posted:

Having pasta for dinner tonight like a proper Scot.

According to this haggis, yeah.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!

OwlFancier posted:

I wish I knew somewhere that did nice haggis, the tinned stuff is horrible.

https://www.haggisuk.co.uk/

Edit : Simon Howie Butchers make the best supermarket veggie haggis, but macsweens is fine in a pinch.

keep punching joe fucked around with this message at 15:54 on Jan 25, 2021

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

I just picked up some M&S own-brand, it's made by Macsween but somebody told me it's better

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

don't know why the thread is so into LSD, they're mostly safely tucked away in Utah

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes
remember to eat a haggis of 100% animal produce and get as drunk as possible in order to stop the Woke Brigade destroying our values

https://twitter.com/magnusllewellin/status/1352893854626754560

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
To an Editor, on Turning Him Up in His Nest With the Wokes

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Jakabite posted:

This is exactly how I view LSD. A big duster to clear out the cobwebs in your head and give your mind a spitshine. It always makes me fall back in love with the music of words and conversation for some reason too which is nice. One thing all potential users of psychedelics should note is that although the visuals are the most commonly talked about aspect, they're imo probably the least important and strange. What you see pales in comparison to what you feel and how your mind reconfigures to work in a way that you've never before experienced. I'd compare it to installing a totally new operating system on the hardware that is your brain.

drat where can I get me some of this

vv too late I asked

Microplastics fucked around with this message at 16:18 on Jan 25, 2021

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
I wouldn't mind trying psychedelics sometime, but I wouldn't know where and how to get them, and that's not the sort of thing you ask about over the public Internet.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
Vegan Haggis sounds awful

Non alcoholic whisky also sounds awful but since all whisky defaults to awful you already knew that

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

The only vegan haggis I've had was better than the meat version.

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь

JollyBoyJohn posted:

Vegan Haggis sounds awful

Non alcoholic whisky also sounds awful but since all whisky defaults to awful you already knew that

Vegan haggis is just stuffing

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

Gyro Zeppeli posted:

The only vegan haggis I've had was better than the meat version.

:getout:

Cyril Sneeer
Apr 4, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

What I don't get is why modern teenagers still seem to think it makes them look big to smoke cigs when every adult I know who smokes wishes they didn't. When the schools were open, there were great gangs of them under the nearby underpass puffing away, not even vaping, and there's usually a gaggle of them round the entrance to Home Bargains puffing away.

It might be partly trying to look cool or adult-like, but the kids I knew in my school years who smoked cigs got addicted to nicotine through smoking weed or hash.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!

Have fun eating lungs guy.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

i have heard veggie haggis is good, but i havent tried it.

meat haggis is good tho, i went through a whole phase of getting battered haggis and chips when i first arrived

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I had fried chicken livers the other day so lung doesn't bother me.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

OwlFancier posted:

I had fried chicken livers the other day so lung doesn't bother me.

Lung and other offal shouldn’t bother me but do. If we are going to eat animals then we should eat all the animal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.
If you're not in Scotland and want decent haggis you have to either order it online or go to one of the posher supermarkets - I think the M&S in Newcastle did it. I'm sure it's easy enough to find in London too being a ridiculous metropolis. You're probably poo poo out of luck if you live in some rural place on the south coast. I imagine most decent butchers will be able to do you one if you go ask in advance even in England, it's not like they have any other use for the bits that get shoved into them.