Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

samantonio posted:

What a wild concept. Being nice to others all the time.

No.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Viginti Septem
Jan 9, 2021

Oculus Noctuae

Pentecoastal Elites posted:

being pathologically nice always to everyone seems hosed up and unhealthy, yeah

How about "kind" in place of "nice"?

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

samantonio posted:

A third of the country is in a death cult and actively lusts for the death of the other two thirds.

Viginti Septem
Jan 9, 2021

Oculus Noctuae

Thoguh posted:

A third of the country is in a death cult and actively lusts for the death of the other two thirds.

Seems like we need more kind people.

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
Awoooooooooo
R-words of C-SPAM
Awoooooooooo

a Loving Dog
May 12, 2001

more like a Barking Dog, woof!

Thoguh posted:

Reading the thread it seems like the OP and a handful of others are ultimately of the belief that no matter the word that is used you shouldn't use any version of ’you have low intelligence' as an insult under any circumstances and good luck with that.

wonder why they feel that way lol

Frances Nurples
May 11, 2008

words are like weapons, they wound sometimes.

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.

samantonio posted:

It would be great if everyone was always nice to each other and there was no conflict but that's uhh, not going to ever happen.

I'm not sure there is a single family out there without some sort of dysfunctional blood relative relationship and if we can't even get along with our own flesh and blood then you can't expect complete strangers to do it

Aceofblue
Feb 26, 2009

:shrug: I think it's more than fine to insult people based on their willful ignorance. People who ignore evidence or cling to a lovely belief despite having been given the opportunity to grow and/or understand? Fair game.

But "retard" =/= willful ignorance.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Aceofblue posted:

:shrug: I think it's more than fine to insult people based on their willful ignorance. People who ignore evidence or cling to a lovely belief despite having been given the opportunity to grow and/or understand? Fair game.

I propose self-retard as a compromise term.

Pentecoastal Elites
Feb 27, 2007

samantonio posted:

yeah it is extremely unhealthy, and the only reasons you would live this way is because you are constitutionally incapable of conflict or -- and I think this is more likely here -- you're a sanctimonious weirdo who gets off on feeling morally superior to everyone who doesn't let their expressions and actions be determined by literally everyone around them

Pentecoastal Elites
Feb 27, 2007

no fellas! we can't strike! that might hurt our boss' feelings!!!

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.

Aceofblue posted:

Doesn't this just end back up on that slur tread mill where the sentiment behind the word never changes but the word itself does?

I don't care about saying the word retard specifically, but there have been numerous articles and posts in this thread stating that all sorts of words used to put others down should not be used. I can't wrap my head around that as a feasible solution because you would have to eradicate interpersonal conflicts

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

Aceofblue posted:

depends on what definition of willful your going for lol

Badactura
Feb 14, 2019

My wish lives in the future.

Homeless Friend posted:

depends on what definition of willful your going for lol

Zounds

Viginti Septem
Jan 9, 2021

Oculus Noctuae

yeah it is extremely unhealthy, and the only reasons you would live this way is because you are constitutionally incapable of conflict or -- and I think this is more likely here -- you're a sanctimonious weirdo who gets off on feeling morally superior to everyone who doesn't let their expressions and actions be determined by literally everyone around them

Being kind to others is unhealthy?

I think my posts in here are evidence of my ability to be capable of conflict without being unkind to others.

Stinky Wizzleteats
Nov 26, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
is is unhealthy to prefer begging forgiveness to asking permission?

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

How hard is it to like, not use a word that you've explicitly been asked not to use because it's insulting to an innocent group of people? Doubly so when there's plenty of other words that can fill in? Sounds pretty fuckin' dumb to be mad at being asked to not use that word!

Pentecoastal Elites
Feb 27, 2007

samantonio posted:

Being kind to others is unhealthy?

I think my posts in here are evidence of my ability to be capable of conflict without being unkind to others.

being unilaterally kind to everyone all the time is, yeah. and if you're okay with conflict, well I guess that means

you're a sanctimonious weirdo who gets off on feeling morally superior to everyone who doesn't let their expressions and actions be determined by literally everyone around them

Viginti Septem
Jan 9, 2021

Oculus Noctuae

being unilaterally kind to everyone all the time is, yeah. and if you're okay with conflict, well I guess that means

What is your definition of kind?

Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008

samantonio posted:

Actually, being nice all the time is bad OP

https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/abs/10.1111/jopy.12104

quote:

This study investigates how obedience in a Milgram‐like experiment is predicted by interindividual differences. Participants were 35 males and 31 females aged 26–54 from the general population who were contacted by phone 8 months after their participation in a study transposing Milgram's obedience paradigm to the context of a fake television game show. Interviews were presented as opinion polls with no stated ties to the earlier experiment. Personality was assessed by the Big Five Mini‐Markers questionnaire (Saucier, 1994). Political orientation and social activism were also measured. Results confirmed hypotheses that Conscientiousness and Agreeableness would be associated with willingness to administer higher‐intensity electric shocks to a victim. Political orientation and social activism were also related to obedience. Our results provide empirical evidence suggesting that individual differences in personality and political variables matter in the explanation of obedience to authority.

https://pdfs.semanticscholar.org/db8a/7fd4044397a321eefe63ccdd915ce714a085.pdf

quote:

An initial study investigating tolerance of group members who abuse a public good surprisingly showed that unselfish members (those who gave much toward the provision of the good but then used little of the good) were also targets for expulsion from the group. Two follow-up studies replicated this and ruled out explanations grounded in the target being seen as confused or unpredictable. A fourth study suggested that the target is seen by some as establishing an undesirable behavior standard and by others as a rulebreaker. Individuals who formed either perception expressed a desire for the unselfish person to be removed from the group. Implications are discussed

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007
you wanna hang out with homer simpson or ned flanders

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I am Metango, Galactic Governor

this is so masturbatory

Viginti Septem
Jan 9, 2021

Oculus Noctuae

I agree that society currently doesn't want unselfish people included. I also agree that society needs a serious change from the status quo. The world could use more kindness.

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

frankly the term has shitloads of synonyms and you can get creative in many languages

you just need to punch up and fast if you can. "you loving imbecile, you poo poo-for-brains moron"? great stuff

"BUT IT'S THE SAME..." no, doesn't work like that. Language is a living thing: nobody calls people with actual mental and/or cognitive impairments "imbeciles" anymore for like, a century (and even then was a medical descriptor, like referring to someone as "anemic"). If someone does, they are loving poo poo-for-brains morons

as for the word in case, tbqh, I think there is also the very unique factor that the group hurt by its use has very literal special needs, and solidarity requires of us to attend to our comrades by their own necessities. Many of them are some of the kindest, most gracious and gentle people in this earth and they only ask about not using a single word: c'mon, this one is easy

Badactura
Feb 14, 2019

Asking people to not call people retarded is contemptable slave morality

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

dead gay comedy forums posted:

frankly the term has shitloads of synonyms and you can get creative in many languages

you just need to punch up and fast if you can. "you loving imbecile, you poo poo-for-brains moron"? great stuff

"BUT IT'S THE SAME..." no, doesn't work like that. Language is a living thing: nobody calls people with actual mental and/or cognitive impairments "imbeciles" anymore for like, a century (and even then was a medical descriptor, like referring to someone as "anemic"). If someone does, they are loving poo poo-for-brains morons

as for the word in case, tbqh, I think there is also the very unique factor that the group hurt by its use has very literal special needs, and solidarity requires of us to attend to our comrades by their own necessities. Many of them are some of the kindest, most gracious and gentle people in this earth and they only ask about not using a single word: c'mon, this one is easy

No you see, for some reason I really, really need this unique word to insult people.

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
Alright, lets talk about you op :D

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

Honestly this is classic liberal poo poo. "Hey dont say this word it is bad." "gently caress you I can say it, what are you saying that it's as bad at the N WORD."

Like no, but it's exactly the same sort of "we are better than them because we only say the r word, they say the n word." How about we say neither and actually make society a little loving better instead of just less worse?

Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008

The "euphemism treadmill" folks are saying doesn't exist, circa 1988

Badactura
Feb 14, 2019

Skyl3lazer posted:

Honestly this is classic liberal poo poo. "Hey dont say this word it is bad." "gently caress you I can say it, what are you saying that it's as bad at the N WORD."

Like no, but it's exactly the same sort of "we are better than them because we only say the r word, they say the n word." How about we say neither and actually make society a little loving better instead of just less worse?

these slovenly appeals to pity based on your own weaknesses are a chain around the neck of the truly free

Stinky Wizzleteats
Nov 26, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
brats gonna brat

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Fluoride Jones posted:

Still unclear which word you mean. Plenty of words begin with R

ratatouille

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
A who's on first routine involving pirates discussing an ableist slur

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007
it is just as bad as the n word. its why i say it

elaboration
Feb 21, 2020

Pepe Silvia Browne posted:

A who's on first routine involving pirates discussing an ableist slur

lol

Stinky Wizzleteats
Nov 26, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
the secret to being a good dommey mommy is just letting them brat a little so you dont feel as guilty when you discipline them

FormaldehydeSon
Oct 1, 2011

R word

a Loving Dog
May 12, 2001

more like a Barking Dog, woof!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

Badactura posted:

these slovenly appeals to pity based on your own weaknesses are a chain around the neck of the truly free

anime avatar never lies tbh