Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wolfs
Jul 17, 2001

posted by squid gang

The Panasonic G95 has a live composite mode I never use I might have to mess around with once the weather clears up -

I picked up a Tokina 300mm f6.3 reflex macro for a cool hundo and I’m deeply intrigued by what I could do with it once I’m comfortable with how narrow a field of view it has

Trying to focus at infinity on a distant highway I seemingly can’t resolve headlights into clean dots of light vs little donuts for some reason

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Maybe the adapter is too thick and the lens can't focus to infinity because of that. Personally all chinese adapters I have seen are badly out of spec.

The lens produces doughnut shaped highlights when the highlights are out of focus.

wolfs
Jul 17, 2001

posted by squid gang

It’s actually a native m43 lens Tokina released in 2012 — no adapter, and made in Japan if you can believe the little sticker. Behold, exif data:

I don’t think I’d want to use this close to infinity during the day it’s so soft but I suspect using it as a macro for flowers will be nice

Ethics_Gradient
May 5, 2015

Common misconception that; that fun is relaxing. If it is, you're not doing it right.

Ihmemies posted:

Maybe the adapter is too thick and the lens can't focus to infinity because of that. Personally all chinese adapters I have seen are badly out of spec.

I've never had one out of spec, across like 15 years and several systems.

I did have one come unscrewed and dump my Pen 42mm f/1.2 onto the ground and break it though, that wasn't fun.

accipter
Sep 12, 2003
Is the price difference between the Godox TT350 and V350 worth it? I mostly like the V350 because I don't want to deal with AA batteries.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

AA batteries aren't that bad to deal with imho. Just get some eneloops.

Dauher
Jul 22, 2007
The man from not near.
Is a Fuji xh1 still a good buy? I know they've been discontinued, and I've got a lead on one for about 680 body only.

On the same note, I'd be starting out in the Fujiblens system, what would be a good cheap place to start with for glass?

Ethics_Gradient
May 5, 2015

Common misconception that; that fun is relaxing. If it is, you're not doing it right.

Dauher posted:

Is a Fuji xh1 still a good buy? I know they've been discontinued, and I've got a lead on one for about 680 body only.

On the same note, I'd be starting out in the Fujiblens system, what would be a good cheap place to start with for glass?

I think that's a pretty good price. They've gotten quite tricky to find here in Australia for some reason, very few popping up used on eBay. I picked one up locally a few weeks ago as my first X-mount camera. Coming from an beat-up, 7 year old A7 it feels incredibly sturdy, well-made, and well-thought out.

Especially if IBIS appeals to you I'd say go for it, though fair warning I have no idea about video (don't care about it). The only other Fuji body with IBIS right now AFAIK is the X-T4, and the X-Tx series seem to hold their value; if I was lucky-ish might have gotten an X-T2 for what I paid for my XH-1, and it's a fair bit more camera if you don't mind the somewhat bigger size. It feels good in my large-ish hands I really like having the dials and the screen at the top with settings. My A7 is actually smaller which is a little surprising considering it's full-frame, but in practice it doesn't really make much of a difference.

If you're not a prime snob, the Fuji 18-55 is a great starter lens, far ahead of other factory kit lenses I've used. With a few exceptions in the very low end stuff Fuji seems to not bother making trash - even the factory strap is comfy enough I don't see a need to upgrade. I had the 16-55 on my wishlist but from the reviews I've seen it's really a pretty marginal upgrade, will probably only do it if a great deal comes along.

For primes:

7 artisans makes native X-mount lenses that are manual focus that are regarded as being quite good for the money. I would especially use a modern manual lens if you were looking to go wide.

For portrait/macro you can dig into old glass - I really liked my Micro-Nikkor 55mm f/3.5 on my A7 and am keen to see what it can do on the X-H1 once the adapter arrives. You might also grab an old 50mm f/1.4 for portraits, but the 7 artisans equivalent might be fine and even cheaper.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Dauher posted:

It’s based on the same guts as the X-T2 and X-Pro2, but at that price (US? Australian?) it’s a very good deal, especially if you really need the IBIS.

The 18-55 2.8-4 is a great place to start - and has IS as well. It was part of “kits” for a lot of the bodies, but it’s absolutely not the same as Canon or Nikon’s old 18-55s (that would be the XC lenses as opposed to XF).

Other good options are any of the “Fujicron” primes (23, 35, 55 f/2s, plus the 16 2.8). If you can wait a month or two, the 27 2.8 pancake is going to be updated, so the first gen - with the same internal design - should get cheaper soon.

Dauher
Jul 22, 2007
The man from not near.

harperdc posted:

It’s based on the same guts as the X-T2 and X-Pro2, but at that price (US? Australian?) it’s a very good deal, especially if you really need the IBIS.

The 18-55 2.8-4 is a great place to start - and has IS as well. It was part of “kits” for a lot of the bodies, but it’s absolutely not the same as Canon or Nikon’s old 18-55s (that would be the XC lenses as opposed to XF).

Other good options are any of the “Fujicron” primes (23, 35, 55 f/2s, plus the 16 2.8). If you can wait a month or two, the 27 2.8 pancake is going to be updated, so the first gen - with the same internal design - should get cheaper soon.

It's US. I'm in Canada so its about $866 local to me. I'd be upgrading from a Panasonic GX85 which is great for its size but is letting me down as a hybrid. I'm not too invested in the m4/3 glass realm so it's not too painful to start over there. I've been considering a few options for upgrades over the last year- the G9, or even XT3 or XT4 if I wanted to drop a fat load of cash, but sub-1000 for the X-H1 seems like a pretty good deal for something similar to the XT3.

The Lone Lemon
Mar 22, 2006
...rides again

Dauher posted:

I have access to a X-T30, X-T3, and X-H1, one of which I am going to buy. (I have shot with the X-T1 and X-T20 too). I shoot candid portraits and events (theatre, parties, and other low light type stuff). The H1 sensor shows its age a bit, with more noise in low light (especially evident in video), but for stills, I still prefer it. IBIS is great (I like to shoot with vintage manual glass a lot), and the mechanical shutter is also super quiet, so you don't need to muffle it if you're shooting a quiet live show...or a lightly sleeping baby.

That price is pretty good for an X-H1 in good condition and the kit lens is a great start.

I have, in native Fuji glass, the 18-55, the 23 1.4, the 35 1.4 and the 56 1.2. I'd recommend any of them. If you're scratching your head, go for the zoom or the 35.

I use adapted glass for the long telephoto end (everything over 56mm). The Fuji telephoto stuff is pricey, and I honestly was not blown away by the 55-140, or whatever it is. So that's my suggestion if you need something long on a budget.

dakana
Aug 28, 2006
So I packed up my Salvador Dali print of two blindfolded dental hygienists trying to make a circle on an Etch-a-Sketch and headed for California.

accipter posted:

Is the price difference between the Godox TT350 and V350 worth it? I mostly like the V350 because I don't want to deal with AA batteries.

For me, yes. Faster recycle times, fewer batteries to juggle, longer-lasting between battery changes. For weddings especially, most times I don't even need to change batteries the whole day.

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.
I really enjoy my Viltrox 23/1.4 for Fuji. I got it for under $300 USD, which feels like a steal.
The AF is solid and even gets a patch every once in a while (last one really made some nice speed improvements for me). It is definitely a pretty big lens though.

Stevie Lee
Oct 8, 2007

wolfs posted:

It’s actually a native m43 lens Tokina released in 2012 — no adapter, and made in Japan if you can believe the little sticker. Behold, exif data:

I don’t think I’d want to use this close to infinity during the day it’s so soft but I suspect using it as a macro for flowers will be nice

woah. i am now on the hunt for one of these to throw on my gx7

e: there's also a 500mm version under the rokinon name, apparently

Stevie Lee fucked around with this message at 17:52 on Jan 25, 2021

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Dauher posted:

It's US. I'm in Canada so its about $866 local to me. I'd be upgrading from a Panasonic GX85 which is great for its size but is letting me down as a hybrid. I'm not too invested in the m4/3 glass realm so it's not too painful to start over there. I've been considering a few options for upgrades over the last year- the G9, or even XT3 or XT4 if I wanted to drop a fat load of cash, but sub-1000 for the X-H1 seems like a pretty good deal for something similar to the XT3.

I followed the same progress path. I looked hard at the G9 and I really did like it, but it just could not compete on price with the X-H1. I got mine in a insane combo deal with the battery grip and the 16-55 lens. I never use the battery grip, but the two spare OEM batteries it came with is a super deal.
I love the camera, and it's definitely a huge improvement over the GX85 in pretty much all but portability. Fuji lenses can get pretty pricy, but seem excellent. I only have the 16-55 so far and it fills all my needs at the moment. I want to get the 80mm macro but it's :homebrew:. With the size of the body, I don't see much advantage finding a small wide angle prime to supplement the 16-55, but I might try something like a 24mm/35mm equivalent out eventually.

Dauher
Jul 22, 2007
The man from not near.
Nice. Yeah I'm just ready for something a bit more substantial than the GX85. I'm not sure that X-H1 is gonna work out, the import fees are gonna jack it up to over 1000$ canadian by the end of things, where I may as well start looking at XT3s or something. Just really in love with that Fuji color!

Ethics_Gradient
May 5, 2015

Just checking - is there any way to get Win 10 to render thumbnails for Fuji RAF files? (X-H1 and X100F in particular).

Lusername
Sep 22, 2005
The truth is just an excuse for a lack of imagination.

Ethics_Gradient posted:

Just checking - is there any way to get Win 10 to render thumbnails for Fuji RAF files? (X-H1 and X100F in particular).

It was a while ago but I believe installing this is what worked for me with my X-T20's RAF files.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/p/raw-image-extension/9nctdw2w1bh8?activetab=pivot:overviewtab

dakana
Aug 28, 2006
So I packed up my Salvador Dali print of two blindfolded dental hygienists trying to make a circle on an Etch-a-Sketch and headed for California.

Ethics_Gradient posted:

Will SageThumbs do it? https://sourceforge.net/projects/sagethumbs/

Ethics_Gradient
May 5, 2015

The Lone Lemon posted:

I use adapted glass for the long telephoto end (everything over 56mm). The Fuji telephoto stuff is pricey, and I honestly was not blown away by the 55-140, or whatever it is. So that's my suggestion if you need something long on a budget.

BTW drat you, I'd decided not to grab an FD adapter for my 70-200 f/4 L in my initial order, but now I've got one winging its way here from China.

Lusername posted:

It was a while ago but I believe installing this is what worked for me with my X-T20's RAF files.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/p/raw-image-extension/9nctdw2w1bh8?activetab=pivot:overviewtab

It works, thank you!

(Also thanks dakana for the heads up on SageThumbs)

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

The Lone Lemon posted:

I bought the XF 55-200 a couple months back, I haven’t been able to use it a ton but it’s absolutely a telephoto version of the XF 18-55, from build quality to image quality. It’s just a bit too big for the X-T20, but I’m sure it’d handle better on the H1.

The Lone Lemon
Mar 22, 2006
...rides again

harperdc posted:

I bought the XF 55-200 a couple months back, I haven’t been able to use it a ton but it’s absolutely a telephoto version of the XF 18-55, from build quality to image quality. It’s just a bit too big for the X-T20, but I’m sure it’d handle better on the H1.

Interesting. For me, I actually needed more telephoto than that (school sports days) and the price with the extender made my head explode. So I got the 70-200 Canon FD F/4 L from the 80s for ~$200 and a 2x
FD extender for another $20 and upped my manual focus game really fast. (The XH1's IBIS helps a lot.)

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE
Not really comparable to a 70-200 f/4 L of course, but FWIW, when I bought my X-T20 last year I also picked up the Fuji XC 50-230mm f/4.5-6.7, because I wanted something longer than the 18-55 and the 50-230 was the only thing I could afford. It was 200€ brand new from an eBay retailer in Italy. When it arrived first impressions weren't exactly favorable - it's super light, all silver plastic, and it rattles and wobbles slightly when you shake it. It has absolutely no controls aside from the zoom and focus rings and the focus ring isn't even mechanical, it's electronic. It looks and feels like the shittiest kit telezoom you could imagine.

Then I actually went out and started using it though and those first impressions turned out to be sorta misleading. Yes it's a slow lens (especially at the far end of the zoom range), it feels like there's nothing inside, there's no aperture ring and focusing in low light can be pretty slow. But in decent light it focuses fine (and quietly), it's got pretty good image stabilization and it's really sharp even wide open (well, if you can call f/6.7 wide open). I like it a lot! Good value for the money and great as a walkaround lens for a camera as small as the X-T20.

Hello Spaceman
Jan 18, 2005

hop, skip, and jumpgate

TheFluff posted:

the focus ring isn't even mechanical, it's electronic.

all the xf lenses are like this though

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer

The Lone Lemon posted:

Interesting. For me, I actually needed more telephoto than that (school sports days) and the price with the extender made my head explode. So I got the 70-200 Canon FD F/4 L from the 80s for ~$200 and a 2x
FD extender for another $20 and upped my manual focus game really fast. (The XH1's IBIS helps a lot.)

How does IBIS work with the zoom (I'm assuming the FD lens can't communicate focal length)? Do you have to stick with a focal length, or does it work OK throughout the range?

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
So Sony announced a new camera with some high end specs (50MP at 30fps). But it's still a Sony...

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Sony’s A1 looks like a monster.

Meanwhile, apparently two bodies and three lenses are set to be unveiled by Fujifilm later today/tomorrow morning - X-E4, updated 27 pancake, a 70-300 zoom, plus a GFX body and lens.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Holding out hope the X-E4 is sealed since the only update to the 27mm pancake was adding weather sealing and it’s the kit lens. I’m not super optimistic though. Plus the photos I’ve seen there’s no rear dial, just the front and exposure. Maybe the X100V really is the right camera, at least it prevents lens GAS. The most expensive accessory I’ve bought for my F is a fancy strap.

e: not sealed :smith:

qirex fucked around with this message at 17:17 on Jan 27, 2021

frogbs
May 5, 2004
Well well well

harperdc posted:

Meanwhile, apparently two bodies and three lenses are set to be unveiled by Fujifilm later today/tomorrow morning - X-E4, updated 27 pancake, a 70-300 zoom, plus a GFX body and lens.

I want Fuji to go nuts and release a GFX/medium format version of the X100 series. I don’t think they’ll do it, but I think it’d be cool. Especially if they keep the rangefinder styling, with an evf and no optical viewfinder, and a tilting screen.

SMERSH Mouth
Jun 25, 2005

The new Sony a1 has all the bells an whistles of a 1D, Dx top-level news & sports camera, plus 50MP. But those dslrs they call “flagship” cameras are really just professional news gathering tools. They’ve never had resolution or dynamic range for “artistic” photography, just FPS and high data throughput with lots of connectivity options. Don’t really think the Sony is going to break that mold. It’s just got to have the MP to furnish oversampled 8K output. The dynamic range it probably well short of a 7RIV.

But if it does actually fully encompass the performance of the 7R and 9 series that’s crazy. If you can put it on a tripod and get 50MP 12-stop DR 14-bit uncompressed images that have the flexibility of D850 files, then it really is kind of impressive.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

Fuji have had a big dump of product announcements, mostly predicted by Fujirumors.

melon cat
Jan 21, 2010

Nap Ghost

harperdc posted:

It's the camera that they should have (and arguably could have) released 2-3 years ago. Wonder why they've been sitting on this technology for so long.

I'm still holding out for a Canon RF APS-C. :smith:

frogbs
May 5, 2004
Well well well

Pablo Bluth posted:

Fuji have had a big dump of product announcements, mostly predicted by Fujirumors.

Whoa, is the XE-4 the first in that series with a tilting screen? It's almost my perfect Fuji camera. The only thing it's missing is IBIS. Fuji's lineup is getting a little confusing though, why would you buy this over the XS-10? They're priced pretty similarly.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

The X-E line has always struggled. It's never been high spec enough for the people that would like a X-Pro without the expensive of the optical part of the hybrid viewfinder, while most seem to prefer the SLR style X-T options.

I reckon the GFX 100S will kill the GFX 50S; for the majority the benefits are too small for the extra cost.

The 70-300 looks like a good expansion of the telephoto options. That said, it's going in under the 100-400 and it's the higher end stuff that'll get me excited; such as the 300 f4 and 500 f5.6 defractive lenses they patented.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I really prefer the rangefinder style and have always basically wanted the smallest and least obtrusive camera I can get away with. Even an X-Pro is potentially in my budget but the additional size and weight [it's much chunkier in hand than it looks, almost the size of an X-T], plus the dumb hidden screen makes it not worth it. I had really high hopes for the X-E4 but it's missing enough controls in addition to the lack of sealing or IBIS that the X-S10 at only $100 more clearly outclasses it. Maybe I'll try out the S10.

Gringostar
Nov 12, 2016
Morbid Hound

qirex posted:

I really prefer the rangefinder style and have always basically wanted the smallest and least obtrusive camera I can get away with. Even an X-Pro is potentially in my budget but the additional size and weight [it's much chunkier in hand than it looks, almost the size of an X-T], plus the dumb hidden screen makes it not worth it. I had really high hopes for the X-E4 but it's missing enough controls in addition to the lack of sealing or IBIS that the X-S10 at only $100 more clearly outclasses it. Maybe I'll try out the S10.

Same here.

The only good thing about the X-E4 is that it gets the rear LCD of the X-T4, X-Pro3, and X100V but I would have much preferred it be sealed.

Now the question is to pick up the X-S10/X-E4 or wait for the X-Pro3 to finally go on sale.

The 70-300 looks amazing though so that's at least good, and it shares the same filter as the 16/1.4 so those two as a hiking duo would be legit.

Fools Infinite
Mar 21, 2006
Journeyman
I think the amount of control in the xe4 is reasonable, they want their rangefinders to have dedicated controls for aperture, shutter speed, and exposure compensation. For people who want dslr controls there is the s10, which works better with a real grip anyway.

I thought it was interesting the xa7 had a fully articulating screen, but I guess the articulating is a better fit here and they probably used the same thin mechanism as the x100v?

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte
I'll likely dump my Nikon DSLR equipment and move to GFX with the latest releases. Looking forward to seeing reviews.

The Lone Lemon
Mar 22, 2006
...rides again

powderific posted:

How does IBIS work with the zoom (I'm assuming the FD lens can't communicate focal length)? Do you have to stick with a focal length, or does it work OK throughout the range?

You lose a couple of stops of stabilization, but it still works pretty well. With the extender on, handheld in daylight, haze and the optics of the lens are a greater limitation on sharpness than camera shake in my experience. I haven't tried it in darker environments (school recitals, theatre, etc.) with the extender on yet.

I either set it for the longest zoom setting (400mm on this case) if I'm going to be mostly shooting long, or if I'm going to be using the whole range, somewhere in the middle. Honestly, even when I forget to set the mount adapter setting, it still works okay.

(By the way, it's the 80-200 F/4 L, not 70-200 as I mistyped earlier.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Fools Infinite posted:

I think the amount of control in the xe4 is reasonable, they want their rangefinders to have dedicated controls for aperture, shutter speed, and exposure compensation. For people who want dslr controls there is the s10, which works better with a real grip anyway.

I thought it was interesting the xa7 had a fully articulating screen, but I guess the articulating is a better fit here and they probably used the same thin mechanism as the x100v?

In terms of controls there are a few buttons or switches missing, like the autofocus mode switch on the front of most Fuji bodies. DPReview mentioned it in their write-up.

The difference is the X-A and other lower-end XF cameras are made by a third party, and marketed as Fuji, but Fuji themselves aren’t doing the R&D work. That’s why there’s such a split between them, and why the tilting mechanism is more like the X100V.