Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
I mean, there's a reason competitions started banning wedges. I stopped watching back in the day because wedges are boring. That highlight reel makes Duck look anything but boring, but it is a highlight reel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rarbatrol
Apr 17, 2011

Hurt//maim//kill.
I appreciate the concept of having a robot so sturdy that another robot will break itself with the power of its weapon, but... that requires the other robot to have a strong spinning weapon, and it's likely to only disable the weapon which turns it into a shoving match.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
I'm fine with having ONE duck in the competition.

Sawblaze and Beta are pretty much shovers/wedges too, but at least they can sometimes saw through Son of Wyachi's struts or cave in a bot's armor.

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

Gort posted:

Duck was boring garbage and it was hilarious watching the driver getting angrier and angrier after his robot - which was incapable of causing damage, being aggressive or controlling a match - continually lost judge decisions hinging on damage, control and aggression

"My robot is hard to destroy because it barely has a weapon" is not some genius robot design and it's great that Duck is gone this season

Counterpoint: watching massively destructive bots destroy themselves on Duck was hilarious. Anytime one of those bots lost to a tiny box on wheels was just great.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

DUCK!'s first configuration where the beak only articulated 2 inches was pretty bad and arguably not really in good faith with the active weapon rule.

The configuration where it can go 360 degrees is good and fun, because he can dance around the box in silly ways. And it's probably as (in)effective as any other lifter.

I miss BioHazard because its lifting arm telescoped forward. Cooler and feels more effective than lifters that just move on a fixed arc.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

wasn't the #1 issue last season that there was a bad batch of speed controllers, so everyone's bot kept burning them out?

Fish Of Doom
Aug 18, 2004
I'm too awake for this to be a nightmare

oh jay posted:

I miss BioHazard because its lifting arm telescoped forward. Cooler and feels more effective than lifters that just move on a fixed arc.

I really don't get the current popular 2 pronged forked lifters that so many bots have this season, like Big Dill, Claw Raptor, Gruff. The forks get bent super easily, have a hard time getting under anything, and are super ineffectual at actually flipping anything over. Biohazard's arm was brilliant because it lifted, but also pushed outwards, which was way more effective that something that just moves 90 degrees.

I know the OG Biohazard got destroyed by Gigabyte, but it would be interesting to see what a redesigned 250 lb version with better armor could do in the current meta.

Fish Of Doom fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Jan 25, 2021

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...

Fish Of Doom posted:

I really don't get the current popular 2 pronged forked lifters that so many bots have this season, like Big Dill, Claw Raptor, Gruff. The forks get bent super easily, have a hard time getting under anything, and are super ineffectual at actually flipping anything over. Biohazard's arm was brilliant because it lifted, but also pushed outwards, which was way more effective that something that just moves 90 degrees.

I know the OG Biohazard got destroyed by Gigabyte and Tombstone, but it would be interesting to see what a redesigned 250 lb version with better armor could do in the current meta.
I would assume that some of the reasoning is that if you're using an elaborate lifter arm & its corresponding motor system, that's also less weight you're spending on armor. Plus, the kind of lifting Biohazard used to do lacks a certain offensive oomph against the top tier bots of the current meta: flip them over while avoiding weapon damage and either watch them use their self-righting mechanism where it's back to square one or run away for the next 3 minutes from their weapon that still works while being inverted. So then you'd need to engineer wedges that are lighter in weight, can tank damage from the better kinetic spinners while also being able to not break off easily, and still get under every other bot in the competition without getting caught on the floor.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

The design concept for Duck this season did look like a much more active bot, they had a flifter/flipper actually looking like it might do things.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Coaaab posted:

I would assume that some of the reasoning is that if you're using an elaborate lifter arm & its corresponding motor system, that's also less weight you're spending on armor. Plus, the kind of lifting Biohazard used to do lacks a certain offensive oomph against the top tier bots of the current meta: flip them over while avoiding weapon damage and either watch them use their self-righting mechanism where it's back to square one or run away for the next 3 minutes from their weapon that still works while being inverted. So then you'd need to engineer wedges that are lighter in weight, can tank damage from the better kinetic spinners while also being able to not break off easily, and still get under every other bot in the competition without getting caught on the floor.

The lifting arm itself would have to be heavily armoured too, right? If that thing gets clipped and is even a little askew it won't be able to retract properly, and it's gonna get sheared right off against a lot of the spinners, wouldn't it?

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

Lone Goat posted:

The lifting arm itself would have to be heavily armoured too, right? If that thing gets clipped and is even a little askew it won't be able to retract properly, and it's gonna get sheared right off against a lot of the spinners, wouldn't it?

An arm like the one Biohazard had would get insanely hosed up with the weapons that exist these days. I think its just too many moving parts and things that can break.

Seriously, the bot I can think of with anything like a modern weapon system that Biohazard fought was SoW

GuavaMoment
Aug 13, 2006

YouTube dude

The Glumslinger posted:

An arm like the one Biohazard had would get insanely hosed up with the weapons that exist these days. I think its just too many moving parts and things that can break.

Seriously, the bot I can think of with anything like a modern weapon system that Biohazard fought was SoW

You can see Mechavore take out Bio's arm in 2002:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VB73lNXVpag

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Robert Cowan recapped the Copperhead vs. P1 fight. It wasn't an exciting looking fight but he has one of the wedgelets they ripped off P1 and it's a good reminder that even something that looks unexciting is a really sturdy chunk of steel.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H9049Hgf6DQ

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

GuavaMoment posted:

You can see Mechavore take out Bio's arm in 2002:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VB73lNXVpag

Biohazard won, so I'm not seeing what the problem is :haw:

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

When more robots finally adopt reliable self-righting mechanisms, then I'll accept that lifters are worthless. But so many robots still can't handle tipping.

Coaaab posted:

Plus, the kind of lifting Biohazard used to do lacks a certain offensive oomph against the top tier bots of the current meta: flip them over while avoiding weapon damage and either watch them use their self-righting mechanism where it's back to square one or run away for the next 3 minutes from their weapon that still works while being inverted.

I watched a bunch of Biohazard videos a while back, and it seems like its arm is less about lifting and more about leverage. Biohazard was a wrestler, not just trying to flip over other robots, but keeping its arm extended to help with pushing.

I was actually wondering how well that sort of reach would be better at meaningfully pushing around Huge or even lifting it up. Assuming it doesn't get mangled by the center blade.

Scrotum Modem
Sep 12, 2014

was just reminiscing of Warhead's badass finishing move from season 2. Luckily found a vid of it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BoncwuviIM8&t=171s

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

February 8th seems to be the next episode drop for Bounty Hunters... Not really clear how many episodes they are going to drop though...

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

SlothfulCobra posted:

When more robots finally adopt reliable self-righting mechanisms, then I'll accept that lifters are worthless. But so many robots still can't handle tipping.

I mean when the current champ can't self-right, it kinda makes sense.

beepsandboops
Jan 28, 2014

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

February 8th seems to be the next episode drop for Bounty Hunters... Not really clear how many episodes they are going to drop though...
They confirmed on Twitter that it's February 11th https://twitter.com/BattleBots/status/1353909012757049344

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
ooo, Skorpios-Tombstone. I do not know who's coming out ahead there. Skorpios is one of those real tough bots that might get Tombstone to tear itself apart.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

PostNouveau posted:

ooo, Skorpios-Tombstone. I do not know who's coming out ahead there. Skorpios is one of those real tough bots that might get Tombstone to tear itself apart.

I dunno, Bloodsport bodied Skorpios pretty well. I kinda expect Tombstone to do more of the same

Kraken getting that good bite at the begining was way more than I was expecting, but Huge got that in the end

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

Gotta say that Kraken is a very well put together bot. I didn't think it would have anything for Huge, but Kraken lasting out the fight was a surprise.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

lmao Ribbot, that was completely unnecessary

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

lmao Ribbot, that was completely unnecessary

It was fun tho

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

sweet geek swag posted:

It was fun tho

:hmmyes:

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
omg I want this $4,000 robot to win it all

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

Wow, Chronos' ring spinner may not be a great weapon, but it's decent side armor.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Did not know Fusion had that in them

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

PostNouveau posted:

Did not know Fusion had that in them

The horizontal spinner on Fusion looks pretty decent. The vertical one sucks though.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Oh man, Skorpios fought through a real beating there. I think they could have laid off and waited for a count out like 30 seconds before they did.

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary

PostNouveau posted:

Oh man, Skorpios fought through a real beating there. I think they could have laid off and waited for a count out like 30 seconds before they did.

I like that both of them lost a wheel but Skorpios could keep going and Tombstone couldn't

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

PostNouveau posted:

Definitely. They did a good job keeping close to Tombstone though.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

There are a lot of good bots at 1-2

Cut line is gonna be real interesting

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

There are a lot of good bots at 1-2

Cut line is gonna be real interesting

Gonna pick the fan favorites out of the 1-2 pool and maybe they will do a last chance tournament or some poo poo for the other bots to get a spot in the end...

Although the main Battlebots 2020 list shows 62 bots, including the Bounty Hunters that didn't fight in the main season. And there's loads of bots in the list that are not actual contenders with only 1 fight so far, and plenty with 0 wins... Curious to see how many 1-2 bots will actually need to get cut from the 32 team tournament. Especially the 1-2 teams whose only win was one of the non contender 0 win bots...

SLICK GOKU BABY fucked around with this message at 04:22 on Jan 29, 2021

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary
EDIT: wrong thread, how about them robots eh

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

DarklyDreaming posted:

EDIT: wrong thread, how about them robots eh

They are going to up rise and you will be the first against the wall.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Nyawww, the people on team Skorpios are such sweethearts. I'm definitely pulling for them this season. :3:

DarklyDreaming posted:

I like that both of them lost a wheel but Skorpios could keep going and Tombstone couldn't

Skorpios partly lost their wheel but could still hobble along on it. If Ray had've hit it a little more square on the fight would have had a different outcome, they were really lucky.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light
Suck it, Tombstone.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I know they like Tombstone as a heel or whatever but lol everyone's got it's number now

I just noticed though, how long has the arena had pop-up spikes on the floor? I only just saw that in the fight with Kraken and Huge lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

RBA Starblade posted:

I know they like Tombstone as a heel or whatever but lol everyone's got it's number now

I think bot quality has just gone up in general. The good teams seem to understand that it's more important to be able to survive a lot of big hits than it is to deliver big hits yourself. Maybe it's just me, but it seems like bots have gotten a whole lot sturdier in recent years.

There's a ceiling on how much you can hit, right? Like they limit the max speed of a weapon? If there's still room for bots to get sturdier but no more room for Tombstone to hit harder, well sucks to be Tombstone.