Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

:stare:

Conversely, I send all the kids over on those quests and they come back having actually been useful for once!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Moon Slayer posted:

That is indeed a fine looking base, especially for a first run, but it's absolutely crying out for the Deep Storage mod:

Yes my experience with this has convinced me that a better storage mod will probably be one of the first I get.

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

Getting into rimatomics. Building nuclear warheads like there's no tomorrow. And at this rate there won't be :eng101:

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
I had a quest to take out an encampment, and everyone got mad when I hit it with a nuke :mad: like its MY fault they didnt specify "without kicking off a world ending arms race"

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

Danaru posted:

I had a quest to take out an encampment, and everyone got mad when I hit it with a nuke :mad: like its MY fault they didnt specify "without kicking off a world ending arms race"

That sounds like a problem that can be solved with more nukes. A faction can't get mad at you if there is no faction to be mad at you!

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

Using nukes against settlements is kind of unsatisfying because it just gets deleted off the world map. I'd rather see what happens with the option to explore.

Does nature ever recover from tactical nukes? Thinking about using them to clean up my map of mountains etc to make fighting off raids easier but I'd like the trees to return.

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

Boo! I thought I could transfer my pawns brain into an android but turns out I can only make her remote control it.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Katt posted:

Boo! I thought I could transfer my pawns brain into an android but turns out I can only make her remote control it.

You definitely can, I dont remember how specifically though

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

Donald John Trump (born June 14, 1946) is the 45th and current President of the United States. Before entering politics, he was a businessman and television personality.

Katt posted:

Your meatbrain needs a VX2 or VX3 chip to do that.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

silentsnack posted:

Your meatbrain needs a VX2 or VX3 chip to do that.

And the host body also needs to be set up to accept a transfer - you can't do it to a surrogate body if I remember correctly (as the surrogate body doesn't have a brain).

The easiest way to do it is to upload the colonist into the skynet, and then download the consciousness into a body that way (you can also clone their mind, increase skills, etc.).

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
Oh right :v: You can also transfer Android personalities between bodies without needing a chip, which is a lot of fun when you rescue a T5 android and can just upload your T3 dude into it.

Just remember to take the upgrades off the old body before transferring :cripes: I've lost so many high powered arms

E: also if you go the Skycloud route, theres an option in the settings that turns the uploadee's body into a surrogate, rather than killing them

With Questionable Ethics, you can keep a few surrogate clones on ice in case the current one dies, it's pretty great :v:

Danaru fucked around with this message at 18:01 on Jan 24, 2021

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

I can't believe disabled structures till break down and need repairs with components :v:

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

Meanwhile I still can't find a way to move a pawns conciousness into an android. Pawn to Pawn and Android to Android I can find but pawns only seem to be able to remote control androids from the skymind?

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

Katt posted:

I can't believe disabled structures till break down and need repairs with components :v:

is this real? i thought they did not, but i suppose it's possible that it works like that and i've just been lucky enough not to see it.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
it hppens in vanilla yes

moot the hopple
Apr 26, 2008

dyslexic Bowie clone
Yeah, I keep my ground-penetrating scanner on disabled and it breaks down often. I have it disabled as opposed to powered down because you unfortunately still need to have it powered in order to see the resources/scanned patches.

I know you can also just chart them out with the plan tool and then turn off the scanner, but I like having that information just at the ready and at a readable form.

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

Donald John Trump (born June 14, 1946) is the 45th and current President of the United States. Before entering politics, he was a businessman and television personality.

Katt posted:

Meanwhile I still can't find a way to move a pawns conciousness into an android. Pawn to Pawn and Android to Android I can find but pawns only seem to be able to remote control androids from the skymind?

edit: splitting this up a bit so it's clearer

Simple route:
  • Give the pawn a VX2 chip
  • Build a "blank" android body or use a spare if you just happen to find one lying around (such as captured after a raid)
  • Install a VX2 or VX3 chip in the new or repurposed android
  • Connect the pawn and android to skymind (core is not necessary in this route) and use the "Permute" command
  • Wait for the transfer to finish... when it's done the android now has the pawn's consciousness and the pawn now has the android's consciousness (if it had one)

Keep a Backup Copy route:
  • Give the pawn a VX2 or VX3 chip
  • Connect to skymind and upload to server
  • When the upload finishes either the pawn dies or gets turned into a surrogate puppet, depending on your config
  • Clone the mind while it's on the server
  • Get a blank/spare android however you want
  • Install a VX2 or VX3 chip in the destination android
  • Connect to skymind and download
  • The android now has the pawn's consciousness, and there's a copy of the consciousness in the server, which can be be further copied and assigned to provide mood buffs and/or remote-control bodies without incapacitating any of your colonists. (If the android had a consciousness it is overwritten/destroyed and that makes some people sad.)

Note that you can't permanently download a mind into a surrogate android or pawn with VX0, those can only be remotely controlled.

If you upload the mind of a colonist with VX3 then the uploaded mind can control multiple surrogates, but the chip costs more. If you want to duplicate the mind and have one (or more) copy in the core to pilot surrogates and want them to use multiple bodies (such as an M7 squad) then VX3 is necessary.

silentsnack fucked around with this message at 02:32 on Jan 25, 2021

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

bob dobbs is dead posted:

it hppens in vanilla yes

this displeases me

i want it out of my dominion

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Wait, so pawns replace components in forbidden structures? I would expect them to break down, but I'd expect pawns to not do anything about it if it's literally forbidden

Moonshine Rhyme
Mar 26, 2010

Hate Hate Hate Hate Hate

Coolguye posted:

this displeases me

i want it out of my dominion

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=726244033

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Once you've got a decent buffer is there any reason not to grow 100% corn instead of rice/potato?

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

MikeJF posted:

Once you've got a decent buffer is there any reason not to grow 100% corn instead of rice/potato?

No, with the exception that potatoes are better in soil that has less fertility than normal. In normal and fertile soil, corn is better. Although I guess it depends on how you define better; potatoes will be producing more nutrition/day in poor fertility soil than corn, but if you just want to minimize harvesting labor then corn would still be preferred

And don't forget some haygrass, if you keep animals around

I also like to grow some berries. They're not particularly efficient, but they don't incur a mood penalty when eaten so they're often just a low-effort alternative to pemmican. You can still rarely get food poisoning from them but at least people won't get mad on a long journey with raw berries, as opposed to raw corn

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

How do I force a prisoner to wear things? I’m in a very, very cold place and it seems rude to keep the prisoners naked, even though it’s a balmy 70 degrees in a normally -50 environment.

Also I redesigned my normal compound style of being basically a village and instead put a roof over everything except for a fancy unroofed “park” with green carpet to simulate grass. It’s a nice lil place where everyone can sit in the sun at subzero temperatures to play chess, horseshoes, and launch artillery shells across the map. I made it to where they HAVE to walk through the park in order to get out of their apartments which makes sure I never have to deal with them not seeing the sun.

The worst thing is how long it takes to get rid of water. I got a big rear end marsh next to my base full of poop and dead bodies and it’s taking forever to pump dry.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

You can't force a prisoner to wear clothes, but you can put clothes in their room and they'll pick them up and wear them if they're naked. Just create a Critical stockpile in their room and move some clothes into it

Kiranamos
Sep 27, 2007

QuarkJets posted:

You can't force a prisoner to wear clothes, but you can put clothes in their room and they'll pick them up and wear them if they're naked. Just create a Critical stockpile in their room and move some clothes into it

I just have someone pick up what I want, walk them over there and drop it.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

i feel like my feelings on mods are well known at this point but thank you for finding this

MikeJF posted:

in addition to what quarkjets said if you're using hydroponics you cannot grow corn so you'd have to do something else (in this case rice because rice benefits from the high fertility of hydroponics and potato doesn't). but in general i'd argue that hydroponics are a good idea if there is no other choice, there's just way too much that can go wrong with them and rice is absurdly labor intensive compared the other food crops. in the general case, you are correct that corn is your god and your general affluence is directly related to how much of it you are growing at any one time.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Okay I was planning to finish out the first colony without gameplay-changing mods but this is silly, what's the best simple well-maintained compatible 'mend yo gear' mod.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

You want the mod named MendAndRecycle

I think mending is very powerful, and recycling is insanely good, so I don't use the mod anymore; I just continuously make more stuff

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Vanilla furniture expanded: spacer has a storage bench that repairs things left on it. Takes a bit of time and power but still kind of broken in the long run, mostly mention it since the furniture stuff in that series is pretty nice overall.

Harvey Baldman
Jan 11, 2011

ATTORNEY AT LAW
Justice is bald, like an eagle, or Lady Liberty's docket.

How concerned should I be about the fact that I've just discovered a 250gb player.log file in the game directory? I guess my plugins are constantly throwing errors but not major enough ones to pop up on screen in game.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Generally logs truncate after a certain size so they are usable. In that regard very worried.

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

I had an arctic base where I couldn't grow corn because there was no realistic way to insulate the growing areas to the point where the plants survived a solar flare and so corn would often not survive a full harvest.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

Harvey Baldman posted:

How concerned should I be about the fact that I've just discovered a 250gb player.log file in the game directory? I guess my plugins are constantly throwing errors but not major enough ones to pop up on screen in game.

I ran into the same issue. Delete the log, replace it with a blank file of the same name, then set that file to read only.

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012

Katt posted:

I had an arctic base where I couldn't grow corn because there was no realistic way to insulate the growing areas to the point where the plants survived a solar flare and so corn would often not survive a full harvest.

Grow stuff that don't take so long to grow. Also get the solar flare shield mod.

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

SugarAddict posted:

Grow stuff that don't take so long to grow. Also get the solar flare shield mod.

Yes that's what I was responding to. Why people might grow potatoes and rice instead of corn.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Katt posted:

Campfires put out a lot of heat. If you can’t get wood, you can have some in storage you bought from a trade ship or something. Alternatively, have a person use an incinerator on a pile of clothes/corpses surrounded by stone blocks with some vents.

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

jokes posted:

Campfires put out a lot of heat. If you can’t get wood, you can have some in storage you bought from a trade ship or something. Alternatively, have a person use an incinerator on a pile of clothes/corpses surrounded by stone blocks with some vents.

I think rice is just plain less effort than a fire heated hydroponics section :v:

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

yeah if i'm in actual factual permafrost-level tundra i'm probably gonna look pretty hard at potato and rice, too. campfires are cool to talk about but fueling them takes a lot of time in and of itself, it's one of the reasons why you want to get electric heaters going. the entire point of corn is to make the ground do a greater proportion of work. if the climate makes it so that's no longer true, corn loses most of its value proposition.

that said, if the idea is to keep the fires going only in case of a solar flare or cold snap, that's another matter. you can make a campfire with a critical wood pile right next to it, and turn off automatic refueling. then when there's a crisis you can order them fueled and lit immediately. that's ended up being part of the design in my current map, which is high enough latitude that it's like a fair bit of canada. yeah, this place is temperate, sort of, i guess, but also there's snow on the ground 6 months out of the year and go gently caress yourself if you think you're stepping outside without a shell layer and a good hat.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

mrking posted:

I have two mods that together let you destroy whatever you want. 'Smelt Everything' lets any item be run through the electric smelter if you want, it will give a bit of cloth or wood or whatever back, and combo'd with 'RandomThings - SmeltDesignation' you can set up a forever bill in the smelter for pawns and then just select the item and click Smelt. It lets you do Smelt Orders too if you want to click and drag over a pile a trash.

SmeltDesignation is exactly the type of mod I was looking for, an ability to directly designate a specific item as being trash, but unfortunately it's not updated for 1.2. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

I’m trying out Fertile Fields and holy poo poo are Plant Scraps annoying. My map is full of them and the only way to process them to fertilizer is to have some poor cook spend their entire life working with them on the Butchering Table.