Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Carthag Tuek posted:

yeah looks like current law says max 30 days unless theres like a criminal investigation or similar situation

im gonna insist on fde and requiring all access to the recordings being logged as well

other ideas?

e: no internet
Coil a copper wire around a nail, hook it up to a battery, and walk by accidentally. Possibly repeatedly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
is your goal to make things so onerous that he gives up, or are you okay with having cameras everywhere and just want to make sure it's done right?

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Jabor posted:

is your goal to make things so onerous that he gives up, or are you okay with having cameras everywhere and just want to make sure it's done right?

the former would be best, but if they go through with it id want it to be minimally idiotic

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

Carthag Tuek posted:

yeah looks like current law says max 30 days unless theres like a criminal investigation or similar situation

im gonna insist on fde and requiring all access to the recordings being logged as well

other ideas?

Also point out that they need to comply with CCPA and GDPR takedowns from residents/citizens of those places and the legal lift there is significant. If you're in CA, well, the CCPA is a whole entire thing. If they don't retain the data then compliance is much much easier.

SYSV Fanfic posted:

Don't count on an unhardened consumer OS to have a magical "protect me" button. It's definitely a bypass, but it required the machine to have a user account with automatic recovery options enabled. Without a competent sysadmin and a TPM, all you should really count on bitlocker for is having a thief format the machine instead of snooping.

I've heard rumored (but have seen no evidence) that Bitlocker can prevent certain kinds of ransomware from being able to encrypt your drives. Any idea if that's true, or is it just pure rumor?

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Kesper North posted:

I've heard rumored (but have seen no evidence) that Bitlocker can prevent certain kinds of ransomware from being able to encrypt your drives. Any idea if that's true, or is it just pure rumor?

almost certainly not, ransomware activity would not be distinguishable from any other activity under that account

at best a good policy could protect your backups from also being encrypted, which smart ransomware will do

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Tomorrow, our nation will sit on the throne of the world. This is not a figment of the imagination, but a fact. Tomorrow we will lead the world, Allah willing.

Carthag Tuek posted:

other ideas?

they're going to order the cheapest thing from amazon and tell you it does all that

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Kesper North posted:

as they say in the pseudoscience thread, I would be interested to know the mechanism of action here

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

jetz0r posted:

they're going to order the cheapest thing from amazonaliexpress and tell you it does all that

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

RFC2324 posted:

if an agent string switcher isn't just one of your standard browser addons, what are you even doing on the internet?

telling the truth or something?

it’s a heavily restricted internal network.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Subjunctive posted:

as they say in the pseudoscience thread, I would be interested to know the mechanism of action here
You've heard of homomorphic encryption. Now meet homeopathic encryption!

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Subjunctive posted:

maybe it's a particularly stupid ransomware that tries to use bitlocker itself to encrypt the drive and then gives up when it sees its already encrypted

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

jetz0r posted:

they're going to order the cheapest thing from amazon and tell you it does all that

oh yeah also insist on general assembly approval of technical solution

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Carthag Tuek posted:

other ideas?

Start looking for other places before they start doing "technically not harassment" stuff to you if you make enough of a fuss.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

thats not a worry. hes a nice guy, just not very smart

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

the minimally idiotic solution here is to do normal cctv. no internet connection, you just have a box somewhere in locked room in building basement that has storage capacity for N days. that’s it, if some suddenly spray paints goatse on landlord’s door the cops just take the HDD as it is at that moment.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

Shame Boy posted:

maybe it's a particularly stupid ransomware that tries to use bitlocker itself to encrypt the drive and then gives up when it sees its already encrypted

oh yes, the famous bootlicker malware

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Kesper North posted:

NetApp has something like this, I would assume the other big storage vendors do too, so it's possible that's what you've heard of?

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

~Coxy posted:

NetApp has something like this, I would assume the other big storage vendors do too, so it's possible that's what you've heard of?
Any copy-on-write filesystem which implements snapshots, and where snapshots are taken automatically and often enough, can defeat ransomware.

Considering NTFS manages to contain OS breaking bugs from back in the XP days, I'm not holding my breath for Microsoft to do a CoW filesystem.

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
as someone adjacent to that sort of camera network poo poo, holy christ never put an internet-enabled camera in your home. at best use actual cctv and put the recorder somewhere not obvious

there have been enough stories of "dvr manufacturer shitto includes a backdoor root account with a password you can find on the internet" already

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

Any copy-on-write filesystem which implements snapshots, and where snapshots are taken automatically and often enough, can defeat ransomware.

Considering NTFS manages to contain OS breaking bugs from back in the XP days, I'm not holding my breath for Microsoft to do a CoW filesystem.

isn’t ReFS cow?

fins
May 31, 2011

Floss Finder
the only acceptable in home surveillance

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

pseudorandom name posted:

isn’t ReFS cow?
Sure, but it's also got a history of throwing peoples data away.

To paraphrase Kirk McKusick, who's been working on the Fast File System/Unix File System in BSD since the early 80s and FreeBSD now: "Once you throw people's data away, they don't trust you with it anymore".

Especially not when there's no official spec from Microsoft, and the unofficial attempt at making recovery tools has all but stalled.

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

fins posted:

the only acceptable in home surveillance

Ceiling cat is watching you masturbate

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

xtal posted:

false Ceiling cat is watching you masturbate

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Buddy, if seeing rubbable cat tummies is wrong, I don't wanna be right.

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica
I've never heard bitlocker by itself can block ransomware. If it does anything, it probably just adds data to microsoft defender for it's own heuristics.

Windows does have the option to enable a whitelist for programs that can access your known folders (search for ransomware protection in start). If you've ever tried to edit your hosts file you've dealt with this before. Most ransomware targeting end users is pretty stupid. If someone has enabled any kind of protection, they probably have backups and won't pay out. Having the software include any kind of exploit or bypass increases the likelihood of detection. Imagine a python script which phones home for an encryption key, then recursively walks the known folders encrypting the first kb of data for every file, and finally drops a .html file on the desktop with instructions about how to pay the ransom and decrypt. All the effort goes into getting the program running as the local user with minimum interaction.

Ransomware that targets institutions with deep pockets is a whole different thing.

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica
Also - What I know about bitlocker comes from designing and implementing an appliance (read windows 10 LTSB laptop) for reading data from a medical device and sending it over the internet or dial up modem. I don't have any magical insider knowledge. I do understand why the DoD trusts windows and bitlocker. It's good enough from a technical perspective that you would be better off just paying (or I guess blackmailing) someone who could decrypt/unlock the device.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

quote:

The Intel hack

We talked on Friday about how Intel Corp. had to release its quarterly earnings early—roughly 12 minutes early—because someone had hacked into its computer systems and gotten an early look at an infographic containing its main earnings results. But that was perhaps overstating it. Intel, it turns out, was not really hacked. What happened was simpler and dumber. Intel puts its earnings releases up on its own website using predictable file names. Byrne Hobart explains:

quote:

Intel had an infographic for their Q3 earnings, in a file that ended with "Q3_2020_Infographic.pdf" and had a URL with a sequential numbering scheme. Q4’s earnings presentation had the same file naming scheme, so it was easy to guess.

https://www.bloomberg.com/opinion/articles/2021-01-25/the-game-never-stops

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

what was the last company that got hit with that trick?

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Subjunctive posted:

i think it was at&t

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Subjunctive posted:

it’s how the archive team was able to get everything off of parler

it happened to att a while ago too

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
the at&t guy was successfully prosecuted for hacking too

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

haveblue posted:

the at&t guy was successfully prosecuted for hacking too

Do you mean weev? Wasn't that overturned?

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Volmarias posted:

Do you mean weev? Wasn't that overturned?

on a venue technicality

Fart Sandwiches
Apr 4, 2006

i never asked for this
I have a camera I keep in the room with my birds so I can check on them when I'm out. I also use alexa in there because someone gave it to me and it's easier than keeping a dumb tablet or whatever for bird music. So anyone listening in or watching will just get endless screams followed by repeated pleading to alexa to play the drat rainforest sounds

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

SYSV Fanfic posted:

Also - What I know about bitlocker comes from designing and implementing an appliance (read windows 10 LTSB laptop) for reading data from a medical device and sending it over the internet or dial up modem. I don't have any magical insider knowledge. I do understand why the DoD trusts windows and bitlocker. It's good enough from a technical perspective that you would be better off just paying (or I guess blackmailing) someone who could decrypt/unlock the device.

yeah theres no special stuff to bitlocker beyond drive encryption and people are probably confusing it w/ cryptolocker and the ransomware protection which isnt enabled by default.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Clark Nova posted:

a lot of people in a position to be able to afford to pay some guy to wire up their entire house with surveillance cameras also have hired help in the home who they want to micromanage and abuse

Yea this I could see for sure.

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*
https://twitter.com/KimZetter/status/1352681107804676096?s=20

just send them a link like this about how easy it is for hackers to spy on underage girls and say something about 'are kids' and get the overprotective parents on your side

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

oh ya thanks for that link, gonna shoot that off if he doesnt get it yet

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost

crepeface posted:

https://twitter.com/KimZetter/status/1352681107804676096?s=20

just send them a link like this about how easy it is for hackers to spy on underage girls and say something about 'are kids' and get the overprotective parents on your side

lol that is 6 times a day