Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

haha there's two world's and the rich never lose

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
I'm going to applying a system of morality to an inherently amoral system.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Zodium posted:

i just wanted to see capital bleed. :unsmith:

If it bleeds 🩸 we can kill :thermidor: it.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

billionaires just will prop your poo poo up. wild to see the timeliness

Greataval
Mar 26, 2010
I for one did my part my 600 shares of gme are mine and they can't take it my avg cost 17$ I rather go to zero then Sell. This will be an epic story one way or the other one firm down can retail take more with them before the SEC shits on retail.

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

Mr Hootington posted:

I'm going to applying a system of morality to an inherently amoral system.

there's no ethical consumption under capitalism doesn't mean that some things aren't less ethical than others
likewise, there's no morality in the stock market that doesn't mean that some things aren't more ethical than others
ethics is a market inefficiency and will be destroyed whenever and wherever capital can in the long term
it's really just a question of whether you think it's possible to be a good person in a bad system or if the system you were born into and have no hope of changing means that you can never be a good person

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

Greataval posted:

I for one did my part my 600 shares of gme are mine and they can't take it my avg cost 17$ I rather go to zero then Sell. This will be an epic story one way or the other one firm down can retail take more with them before the SEC shits on retail.

You should take some of your profits at some point.

dads friend steve
Dec 24, 2004

the future is so goddamn weird

Red Baron
Mar 9, 2007
no lube anal fan

Zodium posted:

i just wanted to see capital bleed. :unsmith:

Relevant Tangent posted:

it has been a fantastic day for Number :unsmigghh::kheldragar:

:hmmyes:

Red Baron
Mar 9, 2007
no lube anal fan

SKULL.GIF posted:

:vince:

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

SKULL.GIF posted:

i know.

:unsmigghh:

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
investors have been using WSB as a way to reverse-psychology normie investors into making terrible bets and scoring easy wins
someone in WSB (or in general) figured this out and is doing the opposite of that to beat the institutional investors

???????????

human garbage bag
Jan 8, 2020

by Fluffdaddy
lol remember back in march when the fed donated $300 billion to the market to not crash and it only held off the sell off for like 15 minutes.

Greataval
Mar 26, 2010

Relevant Tangent posted:

You should take some of your profits at some point.

I will when it hits 500 a share but the point is to help break the system I have blown up many trading accounts I am not afraid of going to zero won't be the first time.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

Relevant Tangent posted:

there's no ethical consumption under capitalism doesn't mean that some things aren't less ethical than others
likewise, there's no morality in the stock market that doesn't mean that some things aren't more ethical than others
ethics is a market inefficiency and will be destroyed whenever and wherever capital can in the long term
it's really just a question of whether you think it's possible to be a good person in a bad system or if the system you were born into and have no hope of changing means that you can never be a good person

Maybe this will be a learning moment and progress can be applied to capitalism!

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

Greataval posted:

I will when it hits 500 a share but the point is to help break the system I have blown up many trading accounts I am not afraid of going to zero won't be the first time.

Fair, you sound like an experienced poop-toucher.

human garbage bag
Jan 8, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

Greataval posted:

no the agreed upon sell price is $1000, don't go soft now.

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

Mr Hootington posted:

Maybe this will be a learning moment and progress can be applied to capitalism!

capital won't learn poo poo but money will be redistributed downwards that's extremely good

like capital is currently out 1.5 billion dollars because a bunch of people decided to make that happen, that's great! you should be ecstatic or at least happy about this poo poo imo

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

has any rich rear end in a top hat ever tried to do this sort of thing unilaterally? what happens if like, back in june when GME is $4 someone with real money looked at the situation and just starts buying up all the shares themselves even at massively inflated prices and refused to sell until they controlled almost all of it? could you create a situation where the shorters who couldnt get out are obligated to pay literally any price you set?

Greataval
Mar 26, 2010

human garbage bag posted:

no the agreed upon sell price is $1000, don't go soft now.

That will test me because so the model that guy used to sell me I should get in was the volkswagen short of 09 I believe that happen so fast and the dump was quick look at that chart to get understand GME.

Greataval
Mar 26, 2010

Fellatio del Toro posted:

has any rich rear end in a top hat ever tried to do this sort of thing unilaterally? what happens if like, back in june when GME is $4 someone with real money looked at the gamestop situation and just starts buying up all the shares themselves even at massively inflated prices and refused to sell until they controlled almost all of it? could you create a situation where the shorters who couldnt get out are obligated to pay literally any price you set?

Michael burry was the first buy in at 4$ then look at the chart in August last year.

human garbage bag
Jan 8, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

Greataval posted:

That will test me because so the model that guy used to sell me I should get in was the volkswagen short of 09 I believe that happen so fast and the dump was quick look at that chart to get understand GME.

There are a shitton more shorters on GME because unlike VW it is a dead company.

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

that deepfuckingvalue guy sold 200 options for another 2M but is still holding 50k shares.

i guess this makes sense. hold on and see if you get gently caress you rich while having life changing funds sitting pretty

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

All the dead 90s/00s stocks like Blackberry, Nokia, and GameStop are getting pumped. This is great. :lol:

Greataval
Mar 26, 2010

human garbage bag posted:

There are a shitton more shorters on GME because unlike VW it is a dead company.

Thems the dice you roll sometimes and that's the bet I'm willing to take.

Mutant Headcrab
May 14, 2007
Can someone give me a layman's explanation as to what's going on? I'm a bad maths man and economics makes my brain hurt, but it sounds like a bunch of internet weirdos are pumping otherwise low stocks skyward for the sole reason that they could?

human garbage bag
Jan 8, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

has any rich rear end in a top hat ever tried to do this sort of thing unilaterally? what happens if like, back in june when GME is $4 someone with real money looked at the situation and just starts buying up all the shares themselves even at massively inflated prices and refused to sell until they controlled almost all of it? could you create a situation where the shorters who couldnt get out are obligated to pay literally any price you set?

No the max price is linked to the total assets of the short sellers. Above that they declare bankruptcy and you get all their assets and the short contract is cancelled.

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

Fame Douglas posted:

The raw price of a single stock isn't a relevant comparison metric between different companies that don't have the same amount of outstanding shares.

it's relevant but not the whole story

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

short answer: yes
longer answer: yes and they'd probably try to kill you
longer but less funny answer: someone is always going to be willing to sell to shorts so they'd be fine, naked shorts would get absolutely hosed and not be allowed to trade anymore the reason this doesn't happen regularly is everyone is naked shorts because that's where all the money is

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Mutant Headcrab posted:

Can someone give me a layman's explanation as to what's going on? I'm a bad maths man and economics makes my brain hurt, but it sounds like a bunch of internet weirdos are pumping otherwise low stocks skyward for the sole reason that they could?

A bunch of institutional money is tied up in shorting dead/dying stocks. Some of these stocks have more shorts sold than actually existing shares. A group of traders gamblers figured out that with enough crowding into these stocks you could force a short squeeze, which is when the people who sold shares without holding shares are forced to buy back these shares at higher prices than they sold them for.

The crowd is now weaponizing this against institutional traders through the trading equivalent of DDOS attacks onto heavily shorted and cheap stocks.

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

Mutant Headcrab posted:

there are a bunch of people stabbing gamestop to death in an alley and taking it's money
other people are trying to stop them with some weapons they pulled off of gamestop's bleeding body
the original people are now also being forced to get weapons from gamestop's bleeding body because gamestop didn't die soon enough

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
so what you're all saying is that the market is the most efficient way to determine value

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

SKULL.GIF posted:

A bunch of institutional money is tied up in shorting dead/dying stocks.

It's worth noting that the reason these stocks are dead/dying is because naked short sellers stabbed them to death in an alley. Gamestop is fundamentally fine, as fine as any retailer (so not great but not dead) and was in no way worth as little as the $4 it was trading at.

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

Stereotype posted:

so what you're all saying is that the market is the most efficient way to determine value

oh it absolutely is, for given values of efficient

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
someone tell me how to make money by doing nothing

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

Stereotype posted:

are you already rich? because you need to be already rich for that to be a viable strategy

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Relevant Tangent posted:

It's worth noting that the reason these stocks are dead/dying is because naked short sellers stabbed them to death in an alley. Gamestop is fundamentally fine, as fine as any retailer (so not great but not dead) and was in no way worth as little as the $4 it was trading at.

i mean gamestop is absolutely fundamentally not fine, institutional investors are not wrong it's not long for the world. half the consoles this gen don't even come with a disk anymore (unless you pay extra) and everything is moving digitally. most people are buying consoles and games at best buy or target and was purely floated on used-market extraction. there's only so many funkopops you can sell in leiu of retail game distribution. it's been doing badly and closing up shops even pre-covid.

but yeah it was the naked shorts that did the hedge fund in

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
they have a proven inability to switch to digital sales too, lol

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

SKULL.GIF posted:

The crowd is now weaponizing this against institutional traders through the trading equivalent of DDOS attacks onto heavily shorted and cheap stocks.

is this class warfare

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Red Baron
Mar 9, 2007
no lube anal fan

Stereotype posted:

have you considered pretending to be an e-girl and selling vials of your bath water?