Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

The Eyes Have It posted:

I think this hits the nail on the head. Terraforming Mars is easier to play and grasp during one's first game, and it is friendly to new players in other ways, as well:

• The card draws mean you can get away without thinking too far ahead, you can just focus on the here and now of the current generation.
  • Every generation is a mini budgeting cycle, and loving it up doesn't paint you into a corner (meaning you can use what you learned next round instead of next game)
  • You can easily see how well you're doing compared to other players (and what's going on in general, for that matter)
  • There is a clear progression of A->B->C for everything e.g. power to heat, Terraforming rating to money, increasing O2, raising temperature, etc.
  • You can do stuff but often don't have quite enough of whatever you want, which helps lead to thinking how you could do better next time (instead of feeling like you're in over your head.)

Completely disagree with all of this. I've taught Scythe to folks that have only played Cards Against Humanity and the like and it was smooth and quick. The decision space is a lot smaller, the game naturally flows towards the endgame trigger, the systems are simpler, and it plays in half the time. They're both mediocre games, but Scythe is definitely easier to teach new players and easier for them to play in the system without floundering.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Radioactive Toy
Sep 14, 2005

Nothing has ever happened here, nothing.

Tekopo posted:

The thread must accept that it's not that TfM in of itself is bad, but that all drafting games are bad.

:qq: b-b-but I just purchased Inis!

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Consider: Drafting games are just simultaneous-play worker placement games with cards instead of dudes.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums

Bottom Liner posted:

Completely disagree with all of this. I've taught Scythe to folks that have only played Cards Against Humanity and the like and it was smooth and quick. The decision space is a lot smaller, the game naturally flows towards the endgame trigger, the systems are simpler, and it plays in half the time. They're both mediocre games, but Scythe is definitely easier to teach new players and easier for them to play in the system without floundering.

I was mostly just taking the opportunity to list stuff I thought was good and accessible about Terraforming Mars. I feel Scythe does have a couple unintuitive bits, but nothing that'll break people's brains or anything(*)

* unless you count that it is not primarily a game about giant robots duking it out :haw:

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Radioactive Toy posted:

:qq: b-b-but I just purchased Inis!

Drafting in Innis is just secret action selection so it doesn't count.

With TfM it's easy to see you need to terrform Mars, but when you're drafting half the cards do not involve terraforming mars. Do you draft the card about have pets? Who knows.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Aggro posted:

For the record, I thought it was funny and did not report it.

I'm glad you weren't offended, that wasn't my intent. I should have spent a little time explaining why TfM is a bad game, though.

cenotaph
Mar 2, 2013

That probe is hilarious given the history of this thread.

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad

Control Volume posted:

Thats not true, just look at Magic the gatherrrrhmmmmm. huh.

Cube draft is my favourite game, by some way. Drafting from regular boosters ranks among regular board games though for sure, and might be bad.

Also: I have a LOT of friends that I know through magic, a lot of my social and online life revolve around it, I travel across the county for tournaments etc. But even I think it's sometimes (maybe often) a trash game.

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Just a funny av. Not a redtext or an own ok.
Hi thread, so at the beginning of last year I got really into boardgames, that worked out pretty well. I'm sitting on 20 games not counting expansions, and have played most of them like 1-2 times with other people, and some of them not at all. This sadly doesn't stop me from buying more. Just ordered Dune even though it's going to be really tough finding a group for it, even disregarding isolation concerns. But I just love the idea of it and want to have it and look at it and whisper to it on long winter nights.

Also ordered High Frontier, before learning that Eklund is a trashman, but I'm extremely thirsty for any realistic space games and this seems like specifically tailored to me not ever leaving my house again. Man, that map.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
Seems to be working out badly for you, op.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

The Eyes Have It posted:

* unless you count that it is not primarily a game about giant robots duking it out :haw:

At the end of the day, I think its this betrayal that makes me hate Scythe the most

Bodanarko
May 29, 2009
DoW just announced the 15th Anniversary Edition of TTR: Europe. Features a larger board, pretty cards and of course sick new trains like the TTR: 10th edition.

I have the 10th edition of TTR and love it but rarely break it out these days. Probably going to get this for someone in my though.

https://www.daysofwonder.com/tickettoride/en/europe-anniversary/

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

Control Volume posted:

At the end of the day, I think its this betrayal that makes me hate Scythe the most

I think the fact that the game looks so nice while being so boring to play is the worst, but the lack of giant robot punching is definitely up there

theroachman
Sep 1, 2006

You're never fully dressed without a smile...

Tekopo posted:

The thread must accept that it's not that TfM in of itself is bad, but that all drafting games are bad.

Them's fightin' words. I love pure drafting games like 7 Wonders, Sushi Go, Greed (hidden gem!), etc. I do think that most games that have a drafting portion within a bigger game can sometimes be an indication of lazy design. MTG draft is an exception because that's basically a prologue to the real game, just like deck building in sealed.

medchem
Oct 11, 2012

For the record, TTR Europe was the first hobby board game I ever played way back in the mid to late 2000s and it's what got me into the hobby. Anyway, that anniversary edition looks cool, but yeah, I have the 10th anniversary of TTR and don't really play it.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

theroachman posted:

Them's fightin' words. I love pure drafting games like 7 Wonders, Sushi Go, Greed (hidden gem!), etc. I do think that most games that have a drafting portion within a bigger game can sometimes be an indication of lazy design. MTG draft is an exception because that's basically a prologue to the real game, just like deck building in sealed.
I might be overegging the pudding, but I've only enjoyed drafting games that are strictly two players like 7 Wonders Duel. There's something that annoys me about only being able to affect my immediate neighbours in pure drafting games.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

That’s probably why most drafting games are best at 3. Inis and 7 Wonders fall into that at least.

Phigs
Jan 23, 2019

I feel like drafting games run into a problem where there's a depth limit beyond which you basically require players to memorize all the cards. It's like a board game where the vast majority of the board is covered so players are either acting blind to most of the gamespace or they've memorized the whole board beforehand. And the board is the size of your living room.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

7 wonders has some toxic poo poo where, if the cards line up right, you can completely scuttle a civ. I managed it once against Giza B where he never had a chance to play stone because me and the other player just tossed them into wonders or the discard every chance we saw. There was a total of 2 stone on the board that game so Giza just collapsed.

Control Volume fucked around with this message at 18:50 on Jan 25, 2021

nordichammer
Oct 11, 2013
The reason I bounced off drafting games is because while the base mechanism is simple, the games require a lot of upfront information to be known in order to feel like a game over an activity.

Sushi Go Party is wonderful for that because there is a board that shows all of the card types in the middle of the table. Provides an easy reference plus variety. It also doesn't bog down the drafting with anything else. Sushi Go Party over 7 Wonders 10/10 days.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR

Phigs posted:

I feel like drafting games run into a problem where there's a depth limit beyond which you basically require players to memorize all the cards. It's like a board game where the vast majority of the board is covered so players are either acting blind to most of the gamespace or they've memorized the whole board beforehand. And the board is the size of your living room.

Yeah that's one of the big concerns I have about Darwin's Journey, they want you to draft cards and you have no idea what's what. Same with 1846, it effectively forces you into a draft and again as a new player you don't know what to choose. One big reason to start newbies off with 18Chesapeake, it doesn't really matter what you draft there, you can't make any game killing errors in the draft.

Memnaelar
Feb 21, 2013

WHO is the goodest girl?

Phigs posted:

I think that can be true about some games with larger draft pools. To me, Lorenzo hits the sweet spot of essentially being a drafting game (it is) but also having a limited enough pool of both card choices and possible effects to where you're not hugely disadvantaged if you come into the game blind. You can either refresh quickly on a cheat sheet or figure it out reasonably quickly on the fly. Yes, experienced players will have the edge but show me a game of any depth where that isn't true.

Personally, I just wouldn't play often with folks who'd memorize all the cards in one particular game anyhow. Life's too short. ;-)

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Galaxy Trucker is a drafting game about drafting a plan for a spaceship

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

CommonShore posted:

Probably going to pick this up once we burn through Maracaibos lifespan.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR

Control Volume posted:

Probably going to pick this up once we burn through Maracaibos lifespan.

I don't know if it's been publicly announced, but there is an expansion for Maracaibo in the pipline.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
With the release of Dice Throne Adventures, I thought Dice Throne was a big enough thing to warrant a thread of its own.

It can be found here

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug

CommonShore posted:

lotta airquotes missing in this post

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Galaxy Trucker is a drafting "game" about drafting a "plan" for a "spaceship"

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Control Volume posted:

Galaxy Trucker is a drafting "game" about drafting a "plan" for a "spaceship"
not enough quotation marks

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
Galaxy Trucker "is".

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Ga"""lax"y""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""
""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""
"""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""
"""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""Tr"""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""
""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""

"""""""""""
"""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""

""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""

""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""ucker""""""""""""""
"""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""

e.e. cummings

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Phigs posted:

Yeah drafting needs to either have a small number of possibilities that players can learn immediately or open information so they can immediately see the value of each card relative to the game state.

That's why Inis works so well IMO. It only has 14 cards to learn which people pick up on quickly, but further than that it's only a mix of a few actions spread across those cards in different ways (move/fight, recruit, place a building or tile, draw a card, counter, etc).

Blood Rage is overall a solid game but uses drafting in that lazy way. The trap it falls into is that the cards dictate entire strategies and have a lot of built in synergy with one another as opposed to with the general goals of the game, and on top of that it has a seeded deck for progressive rounds. So players need to see the full game in action to be able to valuate the cards and strategies and the first game will be a wash generally.

I agree that most drafting games fall into some form of lazy design for distribution of resources/powers, but there are a few that stand out as using it well. Looking over my collection, Sushi Roll, Inis, Res Arcana, and Paper Tales all do drafting well and in a way I see no faults with.

Bottom Liner fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Jan 25, 2021

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

The laziest drafting game is Agricola

The Nish
Mar 3, 2007

Bottom Liner posted:

Yeah drafting needs to either have a small number of possibilities that players can learn immediately or open information so they can immediately see the value of each card relative to the game state.

That's why Inis works so well IMO. It only has 14 cards to learn which people pick up on quickly, but further than that it's only a mix of a few actions spread across those cards in different ways (move/fight, recruit, place a building or tile, draw a card, counter, etc).

Another factor that helps with the drafting in Inis is that cards held in your hand from the first round of drafting can still be passed along in later rounds. Its more flexible and allows you to shift to building a different sort of hand for the next round pretty quickly.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Control Volume posted:

Ga"""lax"y""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""
""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""
"""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""Tr"""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""
""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""

"""""""""""

""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""

""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""ucker""""""""""""""
"""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""

e.e. cummings
Okay, that made me laugh.

Galaxy Trucker is an experience generator more than it is a game. If anything, it's the kind of game where actually trying hard and doing well makes it less fun. Which is a core problem of the design, yes, but if you have to play it? Don't play to win.

Quixotic1
Jul 25, 2007

Nothing beats the satisfaction of making a ship that's has storage,defense and offense;

then getting the cold sweats as you realize that it's all fulcrumed on one piece that is out in the open unguarded from damage.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Alternatively, if you want to play to win, play the app. It's got a pretty decent single player mode and automating all of the chaos gets you back to the fun part of the game quicker.

tofes
Mar 31, 2011

#1 Milpitas Dave and Buster's superfan since 2013
Drafting in Flamme Rouge is a lot of fun.

Jarvisi
Apr 17, 2001

Green is still best.
How good is branch and claw? So far spirit island is fun, but punishingly difficult, how much better does it make it? The digital version doesn't have it available so I have no way to tell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Jarvisi posted:

How good is branch and claw? So far spirit island is fun, but punishingly difficult, how much better does it make it? The digital version doesn't have it available so I have no way to tell.

YMMV. It brings good ideas to the table but I don't think it does the best job implementing most of them. Some people swear by it though.

It does introduce concepts used in the bigger (and IMO better) second expansion so it doesn't hurt to pick it up to familiarize yourself with some of the new stuff. If you're a digital only player it might be a while before Jagged Earth hits.