Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

My wife and I tried these tonight and they were goddamn delicious

https://www.sainsburys.co.uk/gol-ui/product/plant-pioneers/plant-pioneers-2-vegan-steaks-226g

Actually tasted like a meat steak. Texture was a bit weird but I'll take it.

Sainsburys' plant pioneers range is all surprisingly solid tbh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear

BalloonFish posted:

it's also going to be depressing watching all the same mistakes and misjudgements made by the Remain campaign in the Brexit referendum all over again - telling Scotland that everything's great and any sort of change is scary rather than even trying to offer actual solutions to problems.

The 2014 referendum was actually pretty disastrous for the Better Together campaign. Don't forget that the Yes Scotland campaign got 45% of the vote when polling on the issue 4 or 5 years prior put support for it at 20 odd percent. Some polling shortly before the vote put the independence campaign in the lead. Economic security is most likely what won the referendum for BT and that can't be used as an argument for remaining in the UK in another referendum now the UK is unashamedly committed to pursuing a policy of economic suicide

The same effect is likely going to lead to a border poll in NI this decade. A lot of people don't realise that the last census revealed an almost equal protestant/catholic balance in NI and this year's is likely going to show a majority catholic population (and thanks to Brexit, more Irish passport holders than British). The only reason union with the UK was heavily favoured here was because so many people feared the economic consequences of irish unity, despite being culturally predisposed to the idea

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
https://twitter.com/williemillersm1/status/1353383658783191041?s=20

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WFP5MjUuzsg

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

Just one.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
I threw a Burns night a few years back where I got vegan haggis for the vegetarians/religious folk. All my guests, including the carnivores, liked them better than the meat ones. :scotland:

Have to say I still prefer the real deal but the veggie ones are really good too. Also when I was last back I was surprised to find Glasgow has a bunch of really good vegan restaurants these days. Had a fantastic vegan fish and chips in Stereo before a gig there.

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

If you're not striving to improve, you'll end up going backwards.
We got a veggie and a regular haggis tonight.

Both were very good.

The Neeps were gash though because I couldn't get a proper one so had to go with frozen.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ZQ3mTEdDD0

Long past time we did a bunch of high density automated vertical farms and rewilded land back for duck cults.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
Bums Night

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
Had a Simon Howie haggis and it was fine, not enough texture to be honest but better than the sloppy pork ones you get from Asda.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

My wife and I tried these tonight and they were goddamn delicious

https://www.sainsburys.co.uk/gol-ui/product/plant-pioneers/plant-pioneers-2-vegan-steaks-226g

Actually tasted like a meat steak. Texture was a bit weird but I'll take it.

My son is coeliac so these are off for us. Have you tried Beyond Burgers? They’re really amazing. Better than most actual beef burgers and they thoroughly sate the meat craving. And gluten free!

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

Wow more like burned night :supaburn:

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
Hands up, who recited the "address to a haggis" in front of their kitchen table tonight

Sad Panda
Sep 22, 2004

I'm a Sad Panda.

JollyBoyJohn posted:

Hands up, who recited the "address to a haggis" in front of their kitchen table tonight

The what? Please explain as I'm confused.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

Sad Panda posted:

It's a poem by Robert Burns, if you care that much google "address to a haggis" on youtube and you'll see some pretty cool performances by people at Burns Night suppers

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Kaal posted:

Oh agreed. I mean Ireland alone would be happy to help Scotland keep on its feet, if only to encourage Northern Ireland to make the same move.

Out of curiosity, why are you taking it as read that the Republic actually wants to absorb Northern Ireland? To the extent of also subsidising Scotland apparently?

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Sad Panda posted:

It's part of the ceremony of Burns Night, beforethe Haggis gets cut open someone has to recite. Dude wrote a poem to an item if food he liked.

Fair fa' your honest, sonsie face,
Great chieftain o the puddin'-race!
Aboon them a' ye tak your place,
Painch, tripe, or thairm:
Weel are ye wordy o' a grace
As lang's my arm.

And so on (I definitely just never learned more than the first and second verses)

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

If you don't keep your haggis up to date with your address then it won't be able to keep you informed of any changes to the service.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Dude wrote a poem ranking meat puddings.

Post your forums account Rabbie.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Guavanaut posted:

National poet baby! Stuff yer Shakespearean sonnets

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
The best part of Shakespeare's sonnets were when he wrote a bunch of them to a guy in the exact same style as his other love sonnets and then Victorians were like "ah he must have been teaching the lad how to court" and then he wrote some more about the dude's wang and they were like "uh let's just lose these ones" and then modern gammons are like "why do they need to teach LGBTQ history?"

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Guavanaut posted:

The best part of Shakespeare's sonnets were when he wrote a bunch of them to a guy in the exact same style as his other love sonnets and then Victorians were like "ah he must have been teaching the lad how to court" and then he wrote some more about the dude's wang and they were like "uh let's just lose these ones" and then modern gammons are like "why do they need to teach LGBTQ history?"
ande theye werr ROOME MATES

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

forkboy84 posted:

It's part of the ceremony of Burns Night, beforethe Haggis gets cut open someone has to recite. Dude wrote a poem to an item if food he liked.

Fair fa' your honest, sonsie face,
Great chieftain o the puddin'-race!
Aboon them a' ye tak your place,
Painch, tripe, or thairm:
Weel are ye wordy o' a grace
As lang's my arm.

And so on (I definitely just never learned more than the first and second verses)

That's reminded me that "pudding" was traditionally some sort of offal meat dish but now the word usually means a sweet dessert. (After your main course you get a pudding - though I suspect there's a class/geography dimension to this.) Except of course for black pudding and yorkshire pudding.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

Guavanaut posted:

Burns would definitely have been repeatedly banned for horny posting in D&D.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

That's reminded me that "pudding" was traditionally some sort of offal meat dish but now the word usually means a sweet dessert. (After your main course you get a pudding - though I suspect there's a class/geography dimension to this.) Except of course for black pudding and yorkshire pudding.

My granny would call a steak and kidney pie a steak and kidney pudding

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

JollyBoyJohn posted:

My granny would call a steak and kidney pie a steak and kidney pudding

yes that too I forgot about those.
And pease pudding. Just looked up a recipe for that and realize I have it quite often but never knew that was what it was - mushy cooked lentils essentially!

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

I think they are different things. Or the same thing but cooked differently

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
pies are supposed to be sweet and you're all a collection of degenerates for making meat pies. like, meat cake, or meat ice cream. sausage rolls can stay.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

kecske posted:

I think they are different things. Or the same thing but cooked differently

yes steak & kidney pudding is in a soft doughy suet outer but a pie is in a pastry cover.

CoolCab posted:

pies are supposed to be sweet and you're all a collection of degenerates for making meat pies. like, meat cake, or meat ice cream. sausage rolls can stay.

In the Before Times when a trip to the local chippy was in order, I often had chicken & mushroom pie & chips.

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

CoolCab posted:

The reason pies are better than cake is because they can be either

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

CoolCab posted:

Macaroni Pies are nice

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
i will either escape this horrible place or some day you'll find me in some long forgotten victorian sanatorium, bound in straightjacket screaming until i am hoarse about how peas already came pretty loving portable and WHY DO THEY NEED MASHING??? makes them look like neon green baby vomit

i am "all UKed out"

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

And pease pudding. Just looked up a recipe for that and realize I have it quite often but never knew that was what it was - mushy cooked lentils essentially!
Pease pudding is made out of pease.

That got back worked into pea being the singular of pease, and then peas into the plural of pea.

There's a few different types of pease though.

CoolCab posted:

pies are supposed to be sweet and you're all a collection of degenerates for making meat pies. like, meat cake, or meat ice cream.

:canada:

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
what am i looking at? it definitely looks better than mushy peas

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Pudding, like pie, refers to the form, not the recipe - it basically means "big lump of stuff". So black pudding, Yorkshire pudding, and treacle pudding are all as valid a use of the word as steak and kidney pie and apple pie are of the word "pie" to mean "stuff in pastry".

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

CoolCab posted:

i will either escape this horrible place or some day you'll find me in some long forgotten victorian sanatorium, bound in straightjacket screaming until i am hoarse about how peas already came pretty loving portable and WHY DO THEY NEED MASHING??? makes them look like neon green baby vomit

i am "all UKed out"

Mushy peas aren't just mashed up, they're soaked and cooked with baking soda. That's the secret to their deliciousness.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

feedmegin posted:

Out of curiosity, why are you taking it as read that the Republic actually wants to absorb Northern Ireland? To the extent of also subsidising Scotland apparently?

This comes up occasionally when reunification is talked about, and basically: Because the economic cost means absolutely nothing next to the general Irish belief in unification. I'm not saying any RoI government would definitely welcome Ulster, but the country's foremost political objective for a century now has been to unite the island, so getting the opportunity to do it and refusing would take, uh, shall we say courage* **

*Because the 'Ra would go after them with a fury that makes their hate of Thatcher look like a minor quibbling disagreement over a £12 item in the budget.

** Of course if it requires any constitutional changes the Free State would have to hold a referendum which could go any which way lmao

Plus one presumes that it solves a lot of headaches for Dublin and thus the EU in trade matters, doubleplus Brussels would think it's loving funny if the UK broke up because of Brexit and would have ever incentive to support the Irish economy as it absorbed the North.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Pudding, like pie, refers to the form, not the recipe - it basically means "big lump of stuff". So black pudding, Yorkshire pudding, and treacle pudding are all as valid a use of the word as steak and kidney pie and apple pie are of the word "pie" to mean "stuff in pastry".

Also a pudding is generally something you boil in a case or cloth.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

big scary monsters posted:

Mushy peas aren't just mashed up, they're soaked and cooked with baking soda. That's the secret to their deliciousness.

profoundly, at times alienatingly, sick culture and peoples.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Alkali salts belong on licorice.