Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Platystemon)

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo
$50,,000 Artistic Erection

A confusing snipe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

poll plane variant
Jan 12, 2021

by sebmojo

Ah yes, the idea that a flagless ship and a flagless colony are subject to NO nation instead of ANY nation

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

Any early space colony would either become at least somewhat egalitarian or die, it was the same with early colonialism where the natives weren’t there or weren’t weak enough to enslave.

In space I have a feeling the answer is die since the margins for failure are a biiiit tighter there and billionaires are a bit dumber.

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
[quote="SpaceSDoorGunner" post="511977950"]
Any early space colony would either become at least somewhat egalitarian or die, it was the same with early colonialism where the natives weren’t there or weren’t weak enough to enslave.

there was also the option of genocide, as british did in oceania. there is no requirement for egalitarianism for any colony, in fact there is an opposite demand from the colonial overlord, who demands subjugation of all demands that do not benefit them. the only way to have equality aboard a military ship is to have a mutiny

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

Military ships have constant resupply and depend on a logistics network, even in the days of sail. Barring that in a few extreme examples they still had foreign ports and more sailors to exploit. There is no “luxury”like that in space. The colonial overlord can’t do much if the launch windows and resupplies are years apart.

Isolated small colonies on the other hand either died off or to some extent got settlers that thought they’d be lording over slaves and servants to be productive.

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

SpaceSDoorGunner posted:

Military ships have constant resupply and depend on a logistics network, even in the days of sail. Barring that in a few extreme examples they still had foreign ports and more sailors to exploit. There is no “luxury”like that in space. The colonial overlord can’t do much if the launch windows and resupplies are years apart.

Isolated small colonies on the other hand either died off or to some extent got settlers that thought they’d be lording over slaves and servants to be productive.

doesnt colonial reliance on resupply, especially in space where you cant just "go native", increase the power of the colonial overlord? if the colony relies on supplies for basic survival, threatening the proles with blockade is the same as threatening them with execution

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

lollontee posted:

doesnt colonial reliance on resupply, especially in space where you cant just "go native", increase the power of the colonial overlord? if the colony relies on supplies for basic survival, threatening the proles with blockade is the same as threatening them with execution

Welcome to the backstory for half of the "gritty" hard science stories, such as The Expanse.

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
the expanse was great

exmachina
Mar 12, 2006

Look Closer

lollontee posted:

the expanse was great

Is great, man. The last book and the last tv season are still to come out, as well as whatever adaptions they do for the last few books.

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

exmachina posted:

Is great, man. The last book and the last tv season are still to come out, as well as whatever adaptions they do for the last few books.

tfuck theres another season coming out? goddddamn here i was thinking there was nowhere to go story wise from ancient aliens

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

lollontee posted:

tfuck theres another season coming out? goddddamn here i was thinking there was nowhere to go story wise from ancient aliens

we are already near the end of the fifth season, lmfao.

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Taintrunner posted:

we are already near the end of the fifth season, lmfao.

yeah, but i still need to get my gang to finish black sails before we move to space so

Goon Boots
Feb 2, 2020

Shrecknet posted:

A common misconception. :eng99: They actually shoot Armalite bullets

lmao

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

That is a good point- is the colony self sustaining, and are there multiple factions on earth interested in wanting some combination or credit for and control of the colony?

Either way, crises and small groups both tend to make hierarchies unstable and unproductive so I don’t see billionaires trying to do space Feudalism working very well for them after a few years.

exmachina
Mar 12, 2006

Look Closer

lollontee posted:

So there is a rough 1:1 correlation of books to show seasons, with the first six books linked and also in duologies. So book 1-2 is the protomolecule, 3-4 is the ring gate, 5-6 is the Free Navy.

The show will end here. The books have a 30 year gap between 6 & 7, introduce some new places and characters. The production company that makes the series has said they plan to adapt the last books, (the last of which should drop this year, and the authors have released books very regularly, this won't turn into asoiaf) but they don't know in what form, and they would like some of the actors to age out a little to make the gap more realistic.

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

Just started 7 and Duarte is musk if he gets on mars

NZAmoeba
Feb 14, 2005

It turns out it's MAN!
Hair Elf
https://twitter.com/AItoiI/status/1353303042863452160

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

i feel this is a wasted opportunity to have mirror pants

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

SpaceSDoorGunner posted:

That is a good point- is the colony self sustaining, and are there multiple factions on earth interested in wanting some combination or credit for and control of the colony?

Either way, crises and small groups both tend to make hierarchies unstable and unproductive so I don’t see billionaires trying to do space Feudalism working very well for them after a few years.

There's no traditional reason for someone to want to set up a colony on Mars. It's ruinously expensive to reach and operate, extremely unforgiving as an environment, has a gravity well that prevents ready distribution of any financially important resources, assuming they exist in profitable amounts, and if you're just trying to get away from the eyes of society or the law there's already more than enough places on earth for that. The only real reasons to go to Mars, as it is now, is for billionaires to have an ultimate flex on each other, or for reasons that are only going to be important to government entities (scientific research that isn't immediately applicable or profitable, distributing members of the human race outside of earth for redundancy, etc.)

Musk wants to go to Mars so that he can be known as the person who brought humanity to Mars. There's no room for self important bureaucrats on the mission, except for Musk himself, and there's no way he's going when he still has to drink his own piss.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Volmarias posted:

There's no room for self important bureaucrats on the mission, except for Musk himself, and there's no way he's going when he still has to drink his own piss.

the AI and brain implant stuff is all part of Musks master plan. Musk is going to mars, or at least Robo-MuskAI is going to Mars. There will be no pee drinking for the overlord Musk, he will get uploaded to his new slave colony via interplanetary wifi.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

That might be the plan but he would be too busy insisting that his brain app can make farts and Monty Python jokes that they'll never actually get around to sending it.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Breeches are back and better than ever baby.

e: Content

https://hk.appledaily.com/news/20210117/FLXATT4LKVBGVEBRLAECJPTCHM/

Tulip has issued a correction as of 17:32 on Jan 26, 2021

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

https://twitter.com/ABC7NY/status/1354104443848044545?s=19

Correction: alleged monkey labor violations

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

drat I'm running out of places to buy monkey milk

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Forced monkey labor is not great, but drat, I wish we could get a response like that to, say, child labor in the cacao industry.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

white women care about monkeys

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
its not forced labor. those monkey are criminals sentenced in a court of law and the farmers are carrying out their legal punishment

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

i say swears online posted:

lol

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Platystemon posted:

Forced monkey labor is not great, but drat, I wish we could get a response like that to, say, child labor in the cacao industry.

humans can be convinced to accept any evil once they're convinced that it's typical, normal, or standard

figuring out how to exploit monkeys is novel (ish, afaik paying monkeys to pick coconuts is something people figured out a long time ago and have done for a while, but I guess it hasn't made headlines in the west :shrug:)

JesustheDarkLord
May 22, 2006

#VolsDeep
Lipstick Apathy

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005

Volmarias posted:

Musk wants to go to Mars so that he can be known as the person who brought humanity to Mars. There's no room for self important bureaucrats on the mission, except for Musk himself, and there's no way he's going when he still has to drink his own piss.

i assume musk is looking forward to the opportunity to fix problems that are present on earth by starting over. its a good time to wipe the slate clean with regards to problems on earth, like age of consent laws.

Dick Valentine
Nov 4, 2009

feel like i'm losing my mind. this is just the plot of the game red faction.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Dick Valentine posted:

feel like i'm losing my mind. this is just the plot of the game red faction.

its also the plot of america

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Rutibex posted:

its also the plot of america

early, early American history, as in Chesapeake Bay Colony, the British sent over boat after boat of indentured servants, who died at such high rates (mostly from malaria) that the colony experienced nearly no population growth even with extremely high immigration rates. One interesting effect of this was that the few upper class women of the colony could see themselves marry 7+ times as their husbands withered of illness and they stood to inherit, creating a "widowarchy"

What I'm saying is that Musk is going to skimp on radiation shielding for most of the colonists.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

Tulip posted:

humans can be convinced to accept any evil once they're convinced that it's typical, normal, or standard

figuring out how to exploit monkeys is novel (ish, afaik paying monkeys to pick coconuts is something people figured out a long time ago and have done for a while, but I guess it hasn't made headlines in the west :shrug:)

(they aren't paying them. they're chaining them to trees and torturing them so they climb the tree to do work)

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
It wasn’t just colonies.

Pre‐modern cities were population sinks.

People came to them from the countryside, didn’t have kids, and died of communicable diseases.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

poo poo POST MALONE posted:

(they aren't paying them. they're chaining them to trees and torturing them so they climb the tree to do work)

OK yeah that's pretty exceptional, didn't catch that part. Thanks.

Platystemon posted:

It wasn’t just colonies.

Pre‐modern cities were population sinks.

People came to them from the countryside, didn’t have kids, and died of communicable diseases.

Modern 20th century plumbing is a bigger deal, tech-wise, than all of the computer/internet crap.

(the oldest cities that we have written records from, the Sumerian ones, had a particularly interesting population sink element: the palaces & temples that were the center of Sumerian cities were also the manufactories of the region, and the principle labor input for the workshops was widows, the partially disabled, and other people who were invalidated as yeomen farmers)

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Tulip posted:

Modern 20th century plumbing is a bigger deal, tech-wise, than all of the computer/internet crap.

the Harappan civilization figured out indoor plumbing in 2500 BC. unfortunately mankind was not ready to stop making GBS threads all over itself just yet:

https://www.harappa.com/blog/harappan-bathroom

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
Anyone want to try those clay poo poo sticks? I bet it's great

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

i say swears online posted:

They have to. They know if they have a miscarriage or find out they're barren and lose their minds, getting a monkey is one of the few child surrogate options they have.

The child-surrogacy hierarchy goes:

1.) Creepy doll
2.) Monkey dressed up like midwestern dullard
3.) Swarm of cats
4.) Addiction to eating copier toner