Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?

petit choux posted:

I found a copy of Tour in beautiful shape at a thrift the other day, now I'm wondering if it's worth something. I don't know where the hell it's at RN but I took quick photos of the entire booklet and front and back. I'm seeing no indication this is a stereo record.

It's a stereo copy - the catalog prefix is SMAL, and for mono records it would be MAL.

But is it worth something?

Since it's a Beatles album, and assuming the vinyl is of similar quality to the cover, the answer is yes. My guess is probably $20 bucks, maybe less, maybe a little more. It's a Beatles record, so there's a ton in print. The quality looks good, but it's not hard to find good quality Beatles records. Since it's a Capitol pressing, the sound quality isn't going to be something people are going to seek out.

Also, it depends on what pressing it is. An original pressing might get you more. I don't know if Capitol ever switched to using a True Stereo version of the entire album, or if all copies have the three fake stereo songs on side B.

If you missed out on it, it's not like you missed out on a once in a lifetime opportunity.

Cemetry Gator fucked around with this message at 19:38 on Jan 24, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:
You could have played it to see if it was stereo, op

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

Cemetry Gator posted:

It's a stereo copy - the catalog prefix is SMAL, and for mono records it would be MAL.

But is it worth something?

Since it's a Beatles album, and assuming the vinyl is of similar quality to the cover, the answer is yes. My guess is probably $20 bucks, maybe less, maybe a little more. It's a Beatles record, so there's a ton in print. The quality looks good, but it's not hard to find good quality Beatles records. Since it's a Capitol pressing, the sound quality isn't going to be something people are going to seek out.

Also, it depends on what pressing it is. An original pressing might get you more. I don't know if Capitol ever switched to using a True Stereo version of the entire album, or if all copies have the three fake stereo songs on side B.

If you missed out on it, it's not like you missed out on a once in a lifetime opportunity.

Well I've still got it and thanks for that info. I moved into a new apt a few months ago and haven't gotten properly set up yet. Which hasn't stopped me from finding a whole buttload of really good records. And a whole lot of really bad ones too.

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

pwn posted:

You could have played it to see if it was stereo, op

I am slowly uncovering the record player as we speak. Unfortunately the queue is so long they don't even make it on there, SAD!

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.
A copy of Magical Mystery Tour is always a good thing to have.

Cemetry Gator posted:

I don't know if Capitol ever switched to using a True Stereo version of the entire album, or if all copies have the three fake stereo songs on side B.

Is this why those Hor Zu pressings are so sought after?

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?

CPL593H posted:

Is this why those Hor Zu pressings are so sought after?

Yes. If I'm not mistaken, they also use a lower generation tape, so it sounds much better too.

Ironically, mo-fi used the Capitol tapes, so their audiophile pressing uses the fake stereo versions.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Cemetry Gator posted:

Yes. If I'm not mistaken, they also use a lower generation tape, so it sounds much better too.

Ironically, mo-fi used the Capitol tapes, so their audiophile pressing uses the fake stereo versions.

I have that mo-fi one and I knew about this. But I got it for 15 bucks or something so I don't really care. At this point in my life I just listen to the mono version, mainly in the form of the original UK EP. I'd love to have that Hor Zu pressing because I've heard that it's the best of the bunch but I'm not going to pay what that thing goes for. I should have bought it when it cost 30 bucks.

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

TGIF with inner sleeves and merch order form

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

JordanKai posted:

This sleeve owns.

So does this. Sorry for the weak photos

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

Sometimes, there's a man, well, he's the man for his time and place. He fits right in there. And that's Jimmy T.

petit choux posted:

So does this. Sorry for the weak photos

I have a few Dave Brubeck records but really want this one, nice find!

JAMOOOL
Oct 18, 2004

:qq: I LOVE TWO AND HALF MEN!! YOU 20 SOMETHINGS ARE JUST TOO CYNICAL TO UNDERSTAND IT!!:qq:
Q for all you vinyl freaks and freakettes

I have a record that I bought new and have played 6-7 times which, for some reason, plays kinda crackly right now - consistent surface noise

not sure why this is, maybe it's just a bad pressing and I didn't notice until now (its my first time listening on headphones) but I think it might be because the paper inner sleeve is scuffing it up. are paper sleeves known for doing that?

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

JAMOOOL posted:

I have a record that I bought new and have played 6-7 times which, for some reason, plays kinda crackly right now - consistent surface noise

not sure why this is, maybe it's just a bad pressing and I didn't notice until now (its my first time listening on headphones) but I think it might be because the paper inner sleeve is scuffing it up. are paper sleeves known for doing that?

I replace the paper inners because they can be abrasive but they're not the worst thing ever if it's just a run of the mill thin paper sleeve. They did put records in those for the last 70 years after all. BUT. Those thick paper sleeves they use for a lot of poo poo now are terrible. I'm referring to the ones that are some kind of card stock that the record is really sung inside. Those things are a bitch to get the record in and out of and I don't imagine all that sliding and dragging does the record any favors. I replace those immediately. Or you might have just gotten the record dusty. Get one of these if you don't already have one:

https://www.sleevecityusa.com/sleeve-city-carbon-fiber-record-brush-p/dc-05p.htm

It's an essential to any record collector.

JAMOOOL
Oct 18, 2004

:qq: I LOVE TWO AND HALF MEN!! YOU 20 SOMETHINGS ARE JUST TOO CYNICAL TO UNDERSTAND IT!!:qq:
I've got one of those cleaning systems with the brush & cleaning liquid but it's effectiveness kinda varies

think I know what you're saying though, those old plain white paper sleeves are probably fine but there are thicker ones that you can hear the record scraping against and those I'm kind of weary of

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF
https://twitter.com/rfcrecords/status/1353738197742866432/photo/1

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

JAMOOOL posted:

It could be a bad pressing, but it also might need a cleaning as well. You'd be surprised how many new records are simply filthy the first time they come out of the sleeve. If you have a cleaning system, try using that a few times and see if the sound quality improves. If it doesn't, it probably is a bad pressing.

And yeah, generic paper sleeves often contribute to issues adding debris, static, etc. to the record. The MoFi style rice paper sleeves are the gold standard for storing records. I don't use them for ALL of my collection, but definitely on the ones that get frequent spinnings or are personal favorites.

I had a mild heart attack seeing this until I realized it was someone returning their record to a label. Which... well, why are you returning a record to begin with?

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

someone did not like that record at all. not everything can be whipped cream I guess.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

JAMOOOL posted:

I've got one of those cleaning systems with the brush & cleaning liquid but it's effectiveness kinda varies

think I know what you're saying though, those old plain white paper sleeves are probably fine but there are thicker ones that you can hear the record scraping against and those I'm kind of weary of

It's still worth having the brush so you can get the surface dust off of there. They do get into the grooves a bit but it's not a substitute for wet cleaning either. If you're talking about the "RCA" Discwasher I wouldn't recommend that. It doesn't do much other than move the dirt around. That could even be what your problem is.

Ballz posted:

It could be a bad pressing, but it also might need a cleaning as well. You'd be surprised how many new records are simply filthy the first time they come out of the sleeve. If you have a cleaning system, try using that a few times and see if the sound quality improves. If it doesn't, it probably is a bad pressing.

And yeah, generic paper sleeves often contribute to issues adding debris, static, etc. to the record. The MoFi style rice paper sleeves are the gold standard for storing records. I don't use them for ALL of my collection, but definitely on the ones that get frequent spinnings or are personal favorites.

I had a mild heart attack seeing this until I realized it was someone returning their record to a label. Which... well, why are you returning a record to begin with?

Jesus wept.

sporklift
Aug 3, 2008

Feelin' it so hard.

Ballz posted:

Haha. poo poo. I wonder if the record came broken and the seller still wanted it returned. Usually if I get a messed up record I take a pic or video and the seller just says keep it and sends me a replacement. Every once in a while they want you to return it at your own expense which kinda sucks. In one case the return shipping actually cost more the record so I just ate the cost.

VladimirLeninpest
Jun 23, 2005

gn gorilla
Fallen Rib
Another thing to keep in mind with pops and clicks is that they can be caused by static build up, which can happen with repeated playing. The dust brushes are supposed to help get rid of static (and they make the zerostat guns if you have $), but i actually got the Hudson Hifi anti static arm brush here that ties directly into the system’s ground wire. It has worked surprisingly well so far for me and the records I’ve played sound quite a bit “cleaner” (less pops and ticks). Still recommend using a brush to get rid of bigger debris, but this is a nice add on for a reasonable price.

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

MEGA RAN's Black Materia is being pressed

https://gamechops.bandcamp.com/campaign/black-materia-the-remake

Have a good take on a video game soundtrack and support a good dude.

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

I get a lot of dust and microfiber fuzz collecting on my needle. Maybe that is causing some noise?

marjorie
May 4, 2014

phosdex posted:

I get a lot of dust and microfiber fuzz collecting on my needle. Maybe that is causing some noise?

And if so, this thing is a dream to mitigate it. Onzow stylus cleaner

VladimirLeninpest
Jun 23, 2005

gn gorilla
Fallen Rib

marjorie posted:

And if so, this thing is a dream to mitigate it. Onzow stylus cleaner

I don’t recommend getting the cheaper versions of this. I have the $20 one and it is no longer sticky, even after washing it off. The real one is supposed to be better.

marjorie
May 4, 2014

VladimirLeninpest posted:

I don’t recommend getting the cheaper versions of this. I have the $20 one and it is no longer sticky, even after washing it off. The real one is supposed to be better.

Yeah, I have the one in the link and have used it for about 4 years in a relatively high dust\particle environment (dogs amirite), still works great!

IG-88
Apr 21, 2019

Vaporwave folks, I got an extra copy of Aesthetic Please - Righteous Grove. Does anyone have anything they want to trade for? Preferably more vaporwave/future funk. (I can't be the only rear end in a top hat to order 2 copies of a record sometimes by accident, on totally different days)

pwn
May 27, 2004

JAMOOOL posted:

Do you clean it before playing it? Every time I play a record, I wipe the surface to remove whatever debris has accumulated.

”Freak” isn’t a gendered term, so “Freakette” is unnecessary

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

VladimirLeninpest posted:

Yeah the Onzow one works great and I've washed it a number of times and it still works. Really anyone investing in this format should have these things. If you can't get something like this there are little brushes you can use as well. Oh and use distilled water if you're washing off an Onzow or any similar stylus cleaning thing.

marjorie posted:

Yeah, I have the one in the link and have used it for about 4 years in a relatively high dust\particle environment (dogs amirite), still works great!

I have a puggle and let me tell you, those dogs exist to shed. It's a hybrid between two dogs that shed the most making it an ultra mega shedder. This is why I always play records with the dust cover down. I know this is supposed to ruin the sound or some bullshit but I've only ever had that happen when I had speakers on a high volume right next to the turntable. I don't notice a difference.

CPL593H fucked around with this message at 00:26 on Jan 26, 2021

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

My favorite thrift store find of '20

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

petit choux posted:

My favorite thrift store find of '20

Holy poo poo, that's an amazing find. I've been searching for a copy of this myself.

bigman.50grand
Mar 31, 2007
no
Re: static - it's always worse in winter months. I especially noticed it when I lived back east. Now I'm in LA where weather doesn't exist so the problem is minimal.

Zerostats work a charm, but they are crazy expensive. I use one of these. It works well enough by running it across the record and the sweeping it in towards the center, then touching it to the metal spindle.

JAMOOOL
Oct 18, 2004

pwn posted:

Do you clean it before playing it? Every time I play a record, I wipe the surface to remove whatever debris has accumulated.

”Freak” isn’t a gendered term, so “Freakette” is unnecessary

no - do y'all wipe off your records with a towel before playing? would probably help I suppose

agreed that static is a pretty big issue right now, particularly with new records - a few times I've thought "oh drat this pressing sucks" only to flip the record and feel all my arm hair stand up

Sweeper
Nov 29, 2007
The Joe Buck of Posting
Dinosaur Gum

JAMOOOL posted:

no - do y'all wipe off your records with a towel before playing? would probably help I suppose

agreed that static is a pretty big issue right now, particularly with new records - a few times I've thought "oh drat this pressing sucks" only to flip the record and feel all my arm hair stand up

This is by far the best thing I’ve found for cleaning: https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/prod...=BI%3A514&smp=y

I don’t like the fiber brushes at all, they never clean for me

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

JAMOOOL posted:

Never do this unless you are using a microfiber cloth. Just get that brush.

Sweeper posted:

This is by far the best thing I’ve found for cleaning: https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/prod...=BI%3A514&smp=y

I don't like anything that uses fluids without a wet cleaning. The microfiber brushes aren't meant to clean the record they're just meant to get the surface dust off and what's not too deep into the grooves. You're not really going to properly clean records unless you're doing a wet cleaning.

pwn
May 27, 2004

JAMOOOL posted:

I just use the back edge of my hand when the disc is on the TT and manually turn it a few times, bringing any debris toward the outside edge. If it feels staticy I’ll also touch the spindle with a finger. This doesn’t really cut it with real dirty old records, just for daily maintenance.

Edit: The deep cleaning method of choice

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iGq2NHilCI0

pwn fucked around with this message at 01:30 on Jan 26, 2021

Nightmare Cinema
Apr 4, 2020

no.

Sweeper posted:

The best are discwasher brushes from the 70's. I got one off of Ebay for like $20.

As for deep cleanings: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=QbphnT1d-ys

Arcella
Dec 16, 2013

Shiny and Chrome

Whenever I have a shipment in the mail I occasionally wake up in a cold sweat thinking about that goon earlier getting their records bent in half by the mailman.

Asnorban
Jun 13, 2003

Professor Gavelsmoke

CPL593H posted:

Yeah the Onzow one works great and I've washed it a number of times and it still works. Really anyone investing in this format should have these things. If you can't get something like this there are little brushes you can use as well. Oh and use distilled water if you're washing off an Onzow or any similar stylus cleaning thing.

Do you do anything special to clean the Onzow? Mine is pretty gnarly and needs a good cleaning, but I’ve been afraid I’ll ruin it somehow.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Asnorban posted:

Do you do anything special to clean the Onzow? Mine is pretty gnarly and needs a good cleaning, but I’ve been afraid I’ll ruin it somehow.

I rinse it with distilled water and rub all the junk off of it while wearing vinyl or latex gloves and let it air dry. I'd recommend rinsing it a couple times and also taking it out of the little casing first.

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

Thanks for the tip about that Anzow thing, although I'm not in the mood to spend an unexpected $40 RN.

ED: wups:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Man they sure loved their creepy puppets in the mid 20th century.