Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
?
This poll is closed.
Yes 62 44.93%
No 76 55.07%
Total: 138 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!
just go to vegas and bet it all on black at the roulette table

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

Day traders and MLMs

Only registered members can see post attachments!

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

The thing that stands out here to me as the novel development is the relative ease of WSB'ers coordinating their actions and actually following through, because of the shared identity of being WSB'ers. There are a lot of parallels to be drawn with the way goons behave in EVEOnline.

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

Hot Karl Marx posted:

just go to vegas and bet it all on black at the roulette table

:hmmyes: The odds on roulette are at least fair and predictable*. Plus, you can't lose any more than the chips you put on the table.

* Fair as in what-you-see-is-what-you-get, not fair as in even odds.

E: Not Vegas, though, we've been getting infected with triple-zero roulette. Go somewhere else.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned

shame on an IGA posted:

The thing that stands out here to me as the novel development is the relative ease of WSB'ers coordinating their actions and actually following through, because of the shared identity of being WSB'ers. There are a lot of parallels to be drawn with the way goons behave in EVEOnline.

https://www.reddit.com/r/wallstreet...utm_name=iossmf

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
The gamestop shortsqueeze cost a hedge fund multiple billions :lol:

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Mr. Nice! posted:

:smugdon:

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

wanna see the angry zoom calls that occur at these hedge funds atm

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Kazinsal posted:

I'm absolutely baffled at the fact that a bunch of Redditors with daytrading addictions successfully pumped and dumped *Gamestop* of all loving stocks.

If their idiotic bullshit is somehow able to make a not-insignificant fraction of the general public aware of how much of a shitshow HFT is, and lead to legislation curtailing it, I can't really be mad about that. I can lament the fact that there are going to be a fuckton of eternally :smug: r/wsb assholes for the next DECADE thinking they're Warren Buffett because they gambled and won (and then promptly lost their gains on stupid poo poo), but if it fucks over even richer people and financial houses who do this poo poo *daily* and get away with it because they're quiet about it...

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

BIG HEADLINE posted:

If their idiotic bullshit is somehow able to make a not-insignificant fraction of the general public aware of how much of a shitshow HFT is, and lead to legislation curtailing it, I can't really be mad about that. I can lament the fact that there are going to be a fuckton of eternally :smug: r/wsb assholes for the next DECADE thinking they're Warren Buffett because they gambled and won (and then promptly lost their gains on stupid poo poo), but if it fucks over even richer people and financial houses who do this poo poo *daily* and get away with it because they're quiet about it...

Didn't we go through this about 20 years ago?

brains
May 12, 2004

it's hard to choose which part to enjoy more- hedge fund managers getting owned from their own choice to incredibly overexpose themselves with shorts, versus reddit daytraders inexplicably holding on their own pump and dump scheme past the dump

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020

maffew buildings posted:

The amount of self awareness, discipline and risk management you need to day trade is, shockingly, absent in our society that decided hot tips from reddit are basis for rolling their net worth and also failed to stay home and wear masks during a pandemic.

Sounds like someone missed out on the TSLA express to the moon

Mr. Nice! posted:

Okay that's pretty hillarious

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Edit: nm misread Reddit

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah

Mr. Nice! posted:

lmao owned

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Stultus Maximus posted:

Didn't we go through this about 20 years ago?

I think so, and we'll probably go through it again in 20 years.

That the internet has directly amplified and lead to a resurgence of flat earthers and the massive growth of the antivaxx community alongside "experts" at day trading all seems to reek of the same Dunning-Kreuger stench imo, ie "I can do months of work and research and learn that things are kind of difficult or I can do an hour of surfing and learn that things work how I want them to" kinda deal.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

brains posted:

it's hard to choose which part to enjoy more- hedge fund managers getting owned from their own choice to incredibly overexpose themselves with shorts, versus reddit daytraders inexplicably holding on their own pump and dump scheme past the dump

Everyone involved is apparently an idiot, its wonderful

Greataval
Mar 26, 2010

BIG HEADLINE posted:

I know I am degenerate gambler buying weekly options and GME will be my best gain i read some random DD on WSB in August bought in 7$ and 15$ for a total of 600 shares. This is best rush I have felt in months.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

https://twitter.com/Oregon_GOP/status/1351656484392759297

Pine Cone Jones
Dec 6, 2009

You throw me the acorn, I throw you the whip!
poo poo like that makes me seriously hope there is a split in the GOP, because we are kind of hosed otherwise. Unless trump losing and the disillusioned folk from qanon make enough people never vote again.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Pine Cone Jones posted:

poo poo like that makes me seriously hope there is a split in the GOP, because we are kind of hosed otherwise. Unless trump losing and the disillusioned folk from qanon make enough people never vote again.

I hope, but the Tea Party came up and started its own caucus within the party and kept pulling it to the right since 2008 so...

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

M_Gargantua posted:

January 2021 CE: Everyone involved is apparently an idiot, its wonderful

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit
Between that and the Hawaiian GOP platforming a Holocaust-denying neonazi it's sort of hard to see the GOP as anything other than a Nazi party

A Bad Poster
Sep 25, 2006
Seriously, shut the fuck up.

:dukedog:

Pine Cone Jones posted:

If they're attacking the people who didn't hold the line, I wouldn't put a single dime into thinking that the Republican party will fracture.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

yeah they're just fascists but according to them if we don't want to forget everything that happened and come together right now to heal we're the intolerant ones so holy gently caress let's hope the Dems get it together and go after these idiots :smith:

Meshka
Nov 27, 2016

Pine Cone Jones posted:

If there is a split in GOP, moderate republicans will lose. Not only are those people are going to vote they are going to all vote unlike centrist reps and dems. Majority of the population wants strong borders + effort to sustain lower classes. Biden will do the opposite and will lose the government to the next populist that pops up.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
Yellen's vote wasn't close.

https://twitter.com/frankthorp/status/1353845735092051970

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
its cool how conservative turned into straight up nazi over the past few years

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

ded posted:

has the wikipedia article for "Overton Window" been updated with a picture of the AZ state GOP yet

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!
https://twitter.com/TexasGOP/status/1353112047970443266

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

ded posted:

The free market ghouls have spent decades nourishing the nazis in order to get their deregulation and tax cuts, now the nazis have taken charge.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Stultus Maximus posted:

The free market ghouls have spent decades nourishing the nazis in order to get their deregulation and tax cuts, now the nazis have taken charge.

In case you haven't missed it, the free market ghouls are the wealthy landowners. Our nation was founded with white supremacy hardcoded into its founding document with control put solely in the hand of the aristocracy. The free market ghouls have always been nazis or nazi adjacent/tolerant.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

maffew buildings posted:

The amount of self awareness, discipline and risk management you need to day trade is, shockingly, absent in our society that decided hot tips from reddit are basis for rolling their net worth and also failed to stay home and wear masks during a pandemic.

So many of my coworkers day trade pretty hard now. It's going to be interesting to see their reaction if the bottom falls out since I know some of them have a ton of money in the market right now. And then there's the one that used part of a HELOC to buy more Tesla stock. I don't know if she owns anything but Tesla stock either.

I should probably look into investing since I have a pretty obscene amount of money just sitting in checking accounts(they at least all draw decent interest) but I'm just really lazy and don't give a gently caress. I honestly don't care about making more money and that attitude blows so many of the people I work with away.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

same, id like to save more but ive worked hard on not spending money during the lockdown and ive been a lot happier

also marie kondo'ing my poo poo made me not want to load poo poo back up again

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
Y'all are making me think I should have went into financial planning and just catered to goons to make sure you're beating the market without having to worry about things.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

fknlo posted:

So many of my coworkers day trade pretty hard now. It's going to be interesting to see their reaction if the bottom falls out since I know some of them have a ton of money in the market right now. And then there's the one that used part of a HELOC to buy more Tesla stock. I don't know if she owns anything but Tesla stock either.

I should probably look into investing since I have a pretty obscene amount of money just sitting in checking accounts(they at least all draw decent interest) but I'm just really lazy and don't give a gently caress. I honestly don't care about making more money and that attitude blows so many of the people I work with away.

I'm one of those weirdos who likes the challenge of trading and how it's a big puzzle. I'm hoping this trait is what leaves me with capital when everything falls apart versus my old coworkers who told me I'm an idiot for not going all in on NIO. Or as Sean, who now won't talk to me because I called him out on being a misogynist says, "It's not a loss until you sell".

Also your coworker is going to probably get wrecked, jesus

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

https://twitter.com/RawStory/status/1353808571792764931

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

Mr. Nice! posted:

Y'all are making me think I should have went into financial planning and just catered to goons to make sure you're beating the market without having to worry about things.

Goon Investment Program (GIP) is something you should create

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

Mr. Nice! posted:

The contracted financial planning folks they have (had, been a while) on base say the exact same poo poo they teach in the intro courses in MBA programs. The gate keep to being a financial planner is printing a business card.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
Shall we add the "goon-run hedge fund" to the tragic list of failed goon projects?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Epiphyte
Apr 7, 2006

KirbyKhan posted:

The contracted financial planning folks they have (had, been a while) on base say the exact same poo poo they teach in the intro courses in MBA programs. The gate keep to being a financial planner is printing a business card.
Yeah, I mean "beating the market" is a pretty clear sign of someone you don't want handling your money

Manage your risk, not your money