Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

morestuff posted:

We’re getting to the point where I wonder if leagues would be better off just selling their product themselves

NFL network is doing well but the other ones seem like they have a pretty hard time getting on basic tiers. If you look at college the Pac-12 was the one league that tried to do a network without partnering with ESPN or Fox and it's been a disaster. Plus networks are still shelling out a ton of money in rights fees because sports are the biggest reason people keep cable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
If blackouts weren't a thing anymore I'd imagine they'd do much better. NFL Sunday Ticket has the advantage of 100% of your blacked out games are OTA anyway. It's almost certainly not enough because of what networks are paying, and that (for the NBA at least) local deals means teams don't have to revenue share, but at some point I have to imagine getting rid of blackouts in some form has to be worth it.

Nystral
Feb 6, 2002

Every man likes a pretty girl with him at a skeleton dance.
Everyone is measuring NBCSN against other sports channels. NBC Cable Group is measuring it (and Golf) against USA, Bravo, and all the rest of its cable channels (which honestly escape me right now and I’m too lazy to look up). Carriage fees are part of overall revenue, however the major part was advertising. Which is why the audience makeup and metrics are so important and where NBCSN and Golf skew both more older and male vs the other channels making them less desirable then say the Kardashian shows.

Sports as a whole needs to have fresh shows airing all the time. Therefore they have to be cheaper to produce because you can’t really have repeats of a topical panel show or something even a week later, meaning more shows and the per-taping production costs have a shorter time frame to be recouped and you don’t have the syndication market to lean on as an additional revenue stream.

So combining the above you have a channel that brings in $400M, but costs say $375M to run, has poor synergy with the rest of the channels in the lineup, and less desirable demographics. Now, I don’t know all the details, I was an IT nerd who talked to business people a few times and read between the liens in public statements and whatever got blasted out to the company writ large. Oh and I left 2+ years ago, so I’m taking general trends here vs what is currently going on.

A net profit of $25M is not a ton of money in terms of a group looking to slash costs and whose leadership comes from other parts of the company who are used to higher margins. When you can sell it as adding prime live content to the company’s latest halo streaming product? It’s a no brainer to axe the channel and turn the existing facilities into a production house for content to be distributed across multiple channels and platforms.

Or at least that’s my take. Like I said I was just an IT nerd who paid attention to how the business operates and based on my circumstances it was Sports in particular vs the other groups. I’ve been gone a few years but much of this strategy was being laid down prior to my leaving and just accelerated due to COVID based on what I heard from my contacts.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Lockback posted:

If blackouts weren't a thing anymore I'd imagine they'd do much better. NFL Sunday Ticket has the advantage of 100% of your blacked out games are OTA anyway. It's almost certainly not enough because of what networks are paying, and that (for the NBA at least) local deals means teams don't have to revenue share, but at some point I have to imagine getting rid of blackouts in some form has to be worth it.
Are they still doing blackouts when fans can't attend games?

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

FlamingLiberal posted:

MLB didn't change their blackout rules at all in 2020. It's about protecting RSNs so I guess it makes sense from that angle.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
https://twitter.com/carolynryan/status/1353057952945508352

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Inspector_666 posted:

MLB didn't change their blackout rules at all in 2020. It's about protecting RSNs so I guess it makes sense from that angle.
I really never want to hear them try to claim that they are doing something 'for the fans' ever, when they do poo poo like this

SunshineDanceParty
Feb 7, 2006

One Road. Two Friends. One Ass.
I didn't read deadspin before but I saw some highlights. I support the idea of writers getting away from the industry as it exists so I was happy to throw a year at them. After a few months I like a couple of them.

My question is how did Drew Magary become a thing?

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

SunshineDanceParty posted:

I didn't read deadspin before but I saw some highlights. I support the idea of writers getting away from the industry as it exists so I was happy to throw a year at them. After a few months I like a couple of them.

My question is how did Drew Magary become a thing?

his big break was as one of the early commentators on Deadspin back when it was a pain to get approved as a commentator and there were fewer of them. Will Leitch thought he was funny and would regularly highlight his comments and let him pitch hit with blogs occasionally.
Eventually he and a few of the other prominent commentators started Kissing Suzie Kolber, a weird NFL humor site that definitely did age well but was pretty big at the time, and after awhile Deadspin brought him back as a regular for the funbag and that sort of stuff and he just kind of became an institution there.

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

MourningView posted:

his big break was as one of the early commentators on Deadspin back when it was a pain to get approved as a commentator and there were fewer of them. Will Leitch thought he was funny and would regularly highlight his comments and let him pitch hit with blogs occasionally.
Eventually he and a few of the other prominent commentators started Kissing Suzie Kolber, a weird NFL humor site that definitely did age well but was pretty big at the time, and after awhile Deadspin brought him back as a regular for the funbag and that sort of stuff and he just kind of became an institution there.

He's also a novelist but I'm not sure how much overlap that has with his online stardom.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Salvor_Hardin posted:

He's also a novelist but I'm not sure how much overlap that has with his online stardom.

That and the more mainstream gigs like GQ all came out of the Deadspin stuff

jackofarcades
Sep 2, 2011

Okay, I'll admit it took me a bit to get into it... But I think I kinda love this!! I'm Spider-Man!! I'm actually Spider-Man!! HA!

MourningView posted:

NFL network is doing well but the other ones seem like they have a pretty hard time getting on basic tiers. If you look at college the Pac-12 was the one league that tried to do a network without partnering with ESPN or Fox and it's been a disaster. Plus networks are still shelling out a ton of money in rights fees because sports are the biggest reason people keep cable.

More to this point:

https://variety.com/2021/digital/news/wwe-network-peacock-exclusively-streaming-1234890954/

WWE has been trying to get this thing going for like a decade, tanked their PPV revenue, and never got past like 1.5m paid subscribers (down to 1.1).

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

jackofarcades posted:

More to this point:

https://variety.com/2021/digital/news/wwe-network-peacock-exclusively-streaming-1234890954/

WWE has been trying to get this thing going for like a decade, tanked their PPV revenue, and never got past like 1.5m paid subscribers (down to 1.1).

They did just get a billion dollars from nbc to make it part of peacock so they continue their two decade plus pattern of failing upward

Gerund
Sep 12, 2007

He push a man

jackofarcades posted:

More to this point:

So that first live event was in Feb 2014, meaning we're coming up on 7 years of no PPV. Is there really that much of a benefit of getting ten bucks monthly off of a million credit cards instead of the payday off of big tickets from an audience that demands it?

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Gerund posted:

So that first live event was in Feb 2014, meaning we're coming up on 7 years of no PPV. Is there really that much of a benefit of getting ten bucks monthly off of a million credit cards instead of the payday off of big tickets from an audience that demands it?

There's a good reason so many businesses are going to monthly subscription models, whether it's sports, media, razor blades, food delivery, basically any business you see advertising on social media or podcasts. It's dependable (and relatively steady) income month over month as opposed to betting and hoping on a monthly event to hit a certain number of purchases. It's also why it's drat near impossible to buy exactly one thing as a 'trial' from those businesses without also getting their negative-option offer. They know that once you're signed up to the subscription, you're far less likely to cancel because you just forget about it.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Gerund posted:

Yes. Subscription revenue is king. Relying on selling big tickets means a couple flops and your broke, not to mention people forget their subbed and thats bonus bucks. Even if you subscription revenue is less dollars (it usually isn't) being able to forecast your cashflow is worth a considerable amount.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
In the WWEs case it also helped to reduce wrestlers pay and bonuses based on PPV pay.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Gerund posted:

in their case no, they lost a shitload of money off it and had huge start up costs that took forever to recoup but survived because their tv rights fees went nuts to the point where it didn't matter

MourningView fucked around with this message at 16:32 on Jan 25, 2021

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:
I haven't paid attention to WWE in some time but every story seems to be how their ratings are in the tank, they're bleeding money through the network, but here's another zillion dollar TV deal anyway.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

My understanding is their TV/ad revenues are down, but their expenses are WAY down

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

DJExile posted:

My understanding is their TV/ad revenues are down, but their expenses are WAY down

The expenses being down has made them more profitable during the pandemic because they don't have any touring expenses but TV revenue was generally way up over the last few years even before that because their rights fees went through the roof even as their ratings cratered (and cratered faster than tv ratings generally have cratered so it's not just cord cutting).

MourningView fucked around with this message at 17:04 on Jan 25, 2021

Gerund
Sep 12, 2007

He push a man

The WWE is like a dude that was toasted two years ago getting a five-year contract and far too much gravity/respect from defenders who should know better.

(Source- I stopped watching it years ago)

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

zakharov posted:

I haven't paid attention to WWE in some time but every story seems to be how their ratings are in the tank, they're bleeding money through the network, but here's another zillion dollar TV deal anyway.

Their ratings started to nosedive around the time that sports TV contracts started going through the roof because live sports was one of the only things keeping people subscribed to cable.

They also benefitted from the fact that USA hasn’t been able to launch any new properties worth a poo poo in recent years, so while their ratings declined, their value to the network has remained the same relative to its other programming.

Revenue took a hit because they switched from the PPV model to the WWE Network model, but the product has also gotten unspeakably lovely over that same time so the extent to which the WWE Network failed because of the method vs. the product is debatable.

Once UFC switched its model to selling PPV rights to ESPN+ for a flat fee every year, the pressure was kind of on WWE from an investor standpoint to do the same thing because it eliminates instability.

WWE should be in dire straits right now when you look at how terrible their ratings have gotten and how god awful the product is but they keep being in the right place at the right time when it comes to the tv rights fees for sports products and now the streaming wars has people desperately competing for content.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

MourningView posted:

in their case no, they lost a shitload of money off it and had huge start up costs that took forever to recoup but survived because their tv rights fees went nuts to the point where it didn't matter

they also forced an industry shift into everyone having some sort of streaming service available which has been mixed

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

the balkanization of streaming services is gonna wring the market dry in a few years with a lot of services just not doing that well, and i imagine that's going to result in a consolidation of streaming services into what are essentially cable packages all over again

it's hard to imagine the wwe won't benefit from that as well

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
The WWE was in a bit of a pickle. They had a cable on demand product for years that they could only get a few thousand people interested in that already had a ton of old PPVs and matches. They probably could not have pulled in many people at $10 a month for their internet version of that, which initially would have less content, without the PPVs. And they were starting to lose money on a PPV or two a year, with the trend looking like it would spread to more of the small PPVs, so I see why they bundled them with the network since they make a little bit more for those on the network than they did on PPV (and actually quite a bit more when you consider they were able to cut a lot of bonuses for these PPVs to wrestlers). But they gave up hundreds of thousands in revenue, and a chance for a UFC style giant streaming deal by including ALL of the PPVs. They probably should've tried some way to keep 4-6 off network, or at the very least Wrestlemania,

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Declan MacManus posted:

the balkanization of streaming services is gonna wring the market dry in a few years with a lot of services just not doing that well, and i imagine that's going to result in a consolidation of streaming services into what are essentially cable packages all over again

it's hard to imagine the wwe won't benefit from that as well

Its kind of hard to tell in terms of the Wrestling market, Sinclair Broadcasting owns ROH, the Jacksonville Jaguars basically own AEW, IMPACT continues to be a weird albatross.

Internationally CMLL has been in factional power struggles after its longtime owner died, NJPW has ownership but its expansion plans got nixed, and AAA had been doing well up until it came out that they are being sued by a US based subsidiary that they granted exclusive rights to worldwide based revenues because the parent company made like $650,000 off of twitch

SunshineDanceParty
Feb 7, 2006

MourningView posted:

I appreciate the detailed response and that all makes sense. He's not my thing at all, but I get why he has his fans. Kissing Suzie Kolber is another thing I only saw the highlights of. To me he's just a Bill Simmons I could stand to be around for a conversation.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

I appreciate the detailed response. He's not my thing at all, but I get why he has his fans. Kissing Suzie Kolber is another thing I only saw the highlights of. To me he's just a Bill Simmons I could stand to be around for a conversation.

He changed his style A LOT over time. His current stuff is almost unrecognizable from his older writings and he admits openly that his old stuff is garbage and that he didn't deserve the attention he got. He also doesn't take himself nearly as seriously as Simmons.

I'm not a huge margary fanboy or anything, I mostly just skimmed his stuff before it was paywalled, but he is closer to a old-style SA frontpage than a Simmons.

Anals of History
Jul 29, 2003

Didn't know about that NBC/Peacock deal with WWE 'til now. It's good to know because I was sort of on the fence about Peacock but definitely don't want to give money or views to any entity that supports the WWE at this point.

SunshineDanceParty
Feb 7, 2006

Lockback posted:

He changed his style A LOT over time. His current stuff is almost unrecognizable from his older writings and he admits openly that his old stuff is garbage and that he didn't deserve the attention he got. He also doesn't take himself nearly as seriously as Simmons.

I'm not a huge margary fanboy or anything, I mostly just skimmed his stuff before it was paywalled, but he is closer to a old-style SA frontpage than a Simmons.

That's fair. I really meant that in the sense that his stuff gets a ton of comments and attention and then I read it and I wonder why. But I have a better understanding now.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

quote:

In Greek mythology, Cronus overthrew his father, Uranus, to become king of the Titans. But eventually Cronos’s son, Zeus, rebelled against him. The ensuing war was called the Battle of the Titans. The new gods defeated the old. Zeus became king of Olympus.

A thousand epochs later, we are getting our own Clash of Titans. Tom Brady will face Patrick Mahomes in the Super Bowl.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

That's fair. I really meant that in the sense that his stuff gets a ton of comments and attention and then I read it and I wonder why. But I have a better understanding now.

the other advantage that magary has is that his fanbase has developed, grown, and matured with him and since he doesn't have old media web 2.0 stink on him there's always going to be a market for what he's selling, wherever he goes

Nybble
Jun 28, 2008

praise chuck, raise heck

I guessed this was from Simmons. Close enough.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

I appreciate the detailed response and that all makes sense. He's not my thing at all, but I get why he has his fans. Kissing Suzie Kolber is another thing I only saw the highlights of. To me he's just a Bill Simmons I could stand to be around for a conversation.

A lot of his schtick is actually making fun of dumb Bill Simmons ticks but he's been doing it forever and Bill Simmons hasn't written a column in years so I'm not sure that comes through now. I actually agree that most of his Deadspin/defector writing is pretty boring but he seems like a delightful labrador retriever of a person and I like him on the podcast with roth.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Nybble posted:

I guessed this was from Simmons. Close enough.

Rick Reilly?

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

In Greek mythology, Cronus married his sister. But eventually Cronos’s son, Zeus, also married his sister.

A thousand epochs later, we are getting our own taste of Greek mythology. Tom Brady will kiss his son on the mouth in the Super Bowl.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
https://twitter.com/FOS/status/1353861579696177153?s=20

Well that probably explains them restocking on actual journalists

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

That strikes me as the definition of too little too late but I guess we'll see

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

FlamingLiberal posted:

NBA definitely is, I’m annoyed that I can’t watch games @Minnesota or @Indiana because I live in Iowa under normal circumstances, the fact that I still can’t watch them in the middle of a loving pandemic is infuriating.

You’d think that the NBA would be encouraging anyone who wants to willingly watch Timberwolves games without making them jump through hoops