Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Flowers for QAnon
May 20, 2019

Ad by Khad posted:

US govt had no problem at all freezing and then seizing and then auctioning Ross's 6 digits of bits coin

They always say “you can’t do X”, when X has already occurred numerous times and is common knowledge. Smooth brains

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
They seized them first, and it actually was incredibly difficult. Not only technologically, but because the agents kept stealing the coins.

vv: you're talking about rubber hose cryptography and you didn't invent it

xtal fucked around with this message at 22:38 on Jan 25, 2021

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

...the bitcoin so hard to steal that the agents stole it from government is an argument so stupid only you could think it's a good one.

Rufio
Feb 6, 2003

I'm smart! Not like everybody says... like dumb... I'm smart and I want respect!
I've never been somewhere that didn't accept cash. In fact, many places give a discount for cash.

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

Yeah, no poo poo i didn't invent rubber hose cryptography, the concept that I'll break your loving leg if you don't give the key is one that somehow is ignored for the purpose of defeating security. Even if we take your version of the events, claiming it was hard to possess the butts by also claiming it was stolen multiple times isn't the galaxy brain argument you think.

Mr. Merdle
Oct 17, 2007

THE GREAT MANBABY SUCCESSOR

My roommate and a bunch of her friends are really big into crypto. I'm still on the fence but they do seem to make a bunch of money off of it. They show me balance sheets with $20,000 etc. Is the big reason to avoid it because of its volatility? Or is there another reason? The trend seems to be that it never loses so much value that it becomes insolvent, just gradual gains and crashes and gains and crashes.

I only kept up with the thread occasionally over the years.

Flowers for QAnon
May 20, 2019

xtal posted:

They seized them first, and it actually was incredibly difficult. Not only technologically, but because the agents kept stealing the coins.

vv: you're talking about rubber hose cryptography and you didn't invent it

They seized them, then froze them, they didn’t freeze them then seize them. Checkmate. -A Brain Genius

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"

Lil Peeler posted:

My roommate and a bunch of her friends are really big into crypto. I'm still on the fence but they do seem to make a bunch of money off of it. They show me balance sheets with $20,000 etc. Is the big reason to avoid it because of its volatility? Or is there another reason? The trend seems to be that it never loses so much value that it becomes insolvent, just gradual gains and crashes and gains and crashes.

I only kept up with the thread occasionally over the years.

Sell literally everything you own and buy bitcoin now

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

Flowers for QAnon posted:

They seized them, then froze them, they didn’t freeze them then seize them. Checkmate. -A Brain Genius

Do you not see why the difference is important?

Flowers for QAnon
May 20, 2019

xtal posted:

Do you not see why the difference is important?

Explain why the difference is important in the case you suggested. Re: political dissidents

ianmacdo
Oct 30, 2012

kw0134 posted:

Yeah, no poo poo i didn't invent rubber hose cryptography, the concept that I'll break your loving leg if you don't give the key is one that somehow is ignored for the purpose of defeating security.

You know how people are always going on about how torture doesn't work ect... Bitcoins are one of the only times that is incorrect. The decentralized nature of it means someone can keep getting tortured and the torturer can just check if the password works locally without having to use the Internet and possibly alerting anyone else.
With traditional banking or any kind of financial system you could have alternative panic codes that would set off alarms or call security.

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

Flowers for QAnon posted:

Explain why the difference is important in the case you suggested. Re: political dissidents

Seizing before freezing means you need to take control of the currency (such as through physical access and coercion). With conventional centralized currencies Mr. Banker can freeze your assets with a mouse click at any time.

xtal fucked around with this message at 23:59 on Jan 25, 2021

Flowers for QAnon
May 20, 2019

xtal posted:

Seizing before freezing means you need to take control of the currency (such as through physical access and coercion). With conventional centralized currencies Mr. Banker can freeze your assets with a mouse click at any time.

Who do you think tells the Mr. Banker to freeze assets? It’s the same people that will just directly seize your poo poo. Mr. Banker can’t freeze your yacht with a mouse click. Surely won’t stop the Gov from seizing it.

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
People seem do be doing fairly well.

Flowers for QAnon
May 20, 2019

xtal posted:

People seem do be doing fairly well.

Oh, so you were being disingenuous with your “political dissident” example, and meant cartel money. Got it.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

ianmacdo posted:

You know how people are always going on about how torture doesn't work ect... Bitcoins are one of the only times that is incorrect. The decentralized nature of it means someone can keep getting tortured and the torturer can just check if the password works locally without having to use the Internet and possibly alerting anyone else.
With traditional banking or any kind of financial system you could have alternative panic codes that would set off alarms or call security.
on the other hand look at all these people reading xhodl posts and still not buying bitscoined

Mr. Merdle
Oct 17, 2007

Captain Yossarian posted:

Sell literally everything you own and buy bitcoin now

Don't get me wrong I'm not jumping on board the block chain train, but I look at some of the discussion here and think that everything people with knowledge about economics or finance are saying makes sense. But also more people are buying into this stuff every day. I have a hard time wrapping my head around where it's going.

NtotheTC
Dec 31, 2007

Stocks (and therefore bitcoin) are a zero sum game. But it's worse than that because its a zero sum game that gives dumb people the impression that actually everyone wins! That's why wall street bets and bitcoiners are currently patting themselves on the back and buying in hand over fist because if number go up its literally creating wealth for everyone right??

Mr. Merdle
Oct 17, 2007

Which strikes me as the "don't be left holding the bag" kinda rule.

Like if I put in 50 bucks today and walk away with 2k in a few months, even if I only take $1500 away after taxes I still win, right?

Seems like the dumb thing is sitting on this over and over and reinvesting because eventually this overpriced monopoly money bubble is gonna crash.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
so should i open a coinbase account and buy some of this poo poo or what?

i need a new RTX3080Ti

NtotheTC
Dec 31, 2007

Lil Peeler posted:

Which strikes me as the "don't be left holding the bag" kinda rule.

Like if I put in 50 bucks today and walk away with 2k in a few months, even if I only take $1500 away after taxes I still win, right?

Seems like the dumb thing is sitting on this over and over and reinvesting because eventually this overpriced monopoly money bubble is gonna crash.

Absolutely- but the flaw in the plan is that noone is behaving rationally and you could put your money in today and it could be gone tomorrow because someone spooked the horses and everything crashed. Now with $50 it's a big who cares but your returns are also who cares, may as well play a slot machine. But these people are playing with their mortgages and life changing amounts of money (while constantly telling people they're fine and it's not a problem they aren't betting anything they can't afford to lose etc)

John_A_Tallon
Nov 22, 2000

Oh my! Check out that mitre!

xtal posted:

The same infrastructure that will be required to monitor wallet addresses for transfers of more than $3000 will be useful for publishing "blacklist warnings" about wallets associated with dumb fuckers who get their assets frozen. Blacklisted wallet lists will be pushed to exchanges and they will not touch them on threat of not being an exchange anymore. The blacklists will be pushed to tumblers, and if the tumblers do not also turn their nose up at it they will be shut down directly by men with guns. Responsible wallet software will check if a sending wallet is blacklisted, and if it is, will either send the crypto back or will forward it to a government holding wallet without further intervention from the user because accepting crypto from blacklisted wallets will be an excellent way to end up under legal scrutiny for money laundering or tax evasion.

Crypto's no harder to stop than any other instrument. The fig leaf of immunity to government control is solely due to governments taking time to form cogent positions on new technologies.

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

Bitcoin is strictly zero sum; there's no actual profit created or earned by the existence of butts existing. If you buy Verizon stock, then you get dividends from profits generated, or capital gains from useful economic activity being created by the business. I think Tesla is stupidly overpriced and at some point there's a reckoning when they discover that tens of thousands of cars being sold in a year doesn't justify a P/E ratio in the thousands -- but it's still a business doing things that have an actual impact. The promise of selling a hundred thousand Tesla vehicles causes optimism in future revenues. This economic behavior is not zero-sum; you can grow real wealth by stock investment that usually (but not always) reflects in real growth of the real economy.

There's no product with bitcoin. The "innovation" of blockchain does not require the actual associated coin. In fact, it creates negative value because its transactional process is so expensive that the economy bleeds money to pay for these expenses in fiat that is needed to pay utilities, rent, and other costs of mining.

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

John_A_Tallon posted:

The same infrastructure that will be required to monitor wallet addresses for transfers of more than $3000 will be useful for publishing "blacklist warnings" about wallets associated with dumb fuckers who get their assets frozen. Blacklisted wallet lists will be pushed to exchanges and they will not touch them on threat of not being an exchange anymore. The blacklists will be pushed to tumblers, and if the tumblers do not also turn their nose up at it they will be shut down directly by men with guns. Responsible wallet software will check if a sending wallet is blacklisted, and if it is, will either send the crypto back or will forward it to a government holding wallet without further intervention from the user because accepting crypto from blacklisted wallets will be an excellent way to end up under legal scrutiny for money laundering or tax evasion.

Crypto's no harder to stop than any other instrument. The fig leaf of immunity to government control is solely due to governments taking time to form cogent positions on new technologies.

Exchanges have been irrelevant since they started doing KYC

Edit: I'm starting to think I fell for a troll here, mostly of "Responsible wallet software will check if a sending wallet is blacklisted, and if it is, will either send the crypto back or will forward it to a government holding wallet"

xtal fucked around with this message at 01:59 on Jan 26, 2021

Mr. Merdle
Oct 17, 2007

This is more or less what I talk about when people get really into investing in it and I agree with everything there. But at the same time the idea that putting in 50 bux to see if you can walk away with more six months later doesn't seem like bad advice. Seems like a slot machine with slightly better odds that plays itself.

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Lil Peeler posted:

This is more or less what I talk about when people get really into investing in it and I agree with everything there. But at the same time the idea that putting in 50 bux to see if you can walk away with more six months later doesn't seem like bad advice. Seems like a slot machine with slightly better odds that plays itself.

thats capitalism

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

If you want to gamble, then gamble. You don't need our permission to do that.

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
you do, actually

Mr. Merdle
Oct 17, 2007

I'll just have one gamble, as a treat

John_A_Tallon
Nov 22, 2000

xtal posted:

Exchanges have been irrelevant since they started doing KYC

Edit: I'm starting to think I fell for a troll here, mostly of "Responsible wallet software will check if a sending wallet is blacklisted, and if it is, will either send the crypto back or will forward it to a government holding wallet"

The feds can literally mandate that requirement if they want to, and can physically shut down distributors of any software that doesn't comply with requirements to reject transfers from black listed wallets.

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
While it's definitely possible to relitigate the Crypto Wars, it's highly unlikely and I really wouldn't be begging for it

John_A_Tallon
Nov 22, 2000

It's the obvious outcome of the SEC's policy changes to require reporting on wallet transfers of over $3000 value. No one needs to beg for it, they're going to do it so they can exercise control.

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
It really doesn't matter either way, Bitcoin very obviously isn't "censorship-resistant" in any way. States could even block the protocol completely if they wanted to.

But I don't get why people keep bringing these obviously moronic arguments, just be honest and say "people should invest because I want to see the pump continued". Way more respectable.

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

John_A_Tallon posted:

It's the obvious outcome of the SEC's policy changes to require reporting on wallet transfers of over $3000 value. No one needs to beg for it, they're going to do it so they can exercise control.

There is better chance of the American empire collapsing tomorrow and bitcoin taking over the world, than there being a law that you can't make cryptocurrency software without a blacklist feature. It doesn't sound like you know a lot about software.

Fame Douglas posted:

States could even block the protocol completely if they wanted to.

Same to this. Not the likelihood, the knowing about software.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

xtal posted:

There is better chance of the American empire collapsing tomorrow and bitcoin taking over the world, than there being a law that you can't make cryptocurrency software without a blacklist feature. It doesn't sound like you know a lot about software.

Same to this. Not the likelihood, the knowing about software.

sure there is buddy, sure there is

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Chinatown posted:

Not at their current fee rates. Robinhood's less dependable with pricing, but the chances are better you'll come out ahead of buying/selling with Coinbase.

nnnotime
Sep 30, 2001

Hesitate, and you will be lost.
For your entertainment, a guy wrote a medium article about the guy in the news who is not able to remember the password to his bitcoins, that it's unironically good for bitcoin.

https://omid-malekan.medium.com/about-that-guy-who-cant-access-his-bitcoins-8036583b3269

Basically the author argues that the spreading of the story of the loss helps support the idea, of how bitcoin is valuable due to it's scarcity, as you can't replace the bitcoins if you forget how to access them, and the risk of losing access to your bitcoin also helps support it's value.

So with that big-brain logic, if everyone on the planet would simply agree to lose their passwords, or just set their wallets on stand-lone harddrives and destroy the drives, then crypto prices should increase in a unit price of the millions or billions each.

So Serpah would do himself a favor and do something good for bitcoin if he just threw all his token thingies into an industrial furnace. Right?

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

xtal posted:

Yes, because you are just explaining currency. If someone outlawed trading USD what value would USD have?

I don't think that you understood the question. In that scenario, bitcoin is not outlawed; all that would be outlawed would be currency conversion. You don't normally need to convert USD into some other currency before using it, which is a central feature of all currencies, but the same cannot really be said of bitcoin. There are exceptions of course, but for the most part spending BTC first requires being able to convert it into an actual currency that people want.

That's because bitcoin is not really currency, it's more like baseball cards. You can trade baseball cards for stuff if you find the right buyer, but it would be nonsensical to claim that that's sufficient to label baseball cards as a currency.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Chinatown posted:

i need a new RTX3080Ti

iirc you can just use the Cash app to bet on bitcoin without actually buying any, and without giving a bunch of personal information to coinbase. If you just want to gamble a little bit that's the path of least resistance

But if you just want to gamble a little bit there are better ways of doing that than bitcoin

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

human garbage bag
Jan 8, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

John_A_Tallon posted:

They can regulate exchanges that are operating openly on the www yes, but I don't see how they can track bitcoin being exchanged on an encrypted TOR network with anonymous bitcoin wallets without doing something like installing a secret camera inside a suspect's house to look at their screen. The only time the wallets would connect to an actual exchange would be to cashout the bitcoin, but that's all they'd see, some random wallet cashing out bitcoin.