Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Niric
Jul 23, 2008

Strom Cuzewon posted:

That seems a pretty good take on how [X] results in [Y] , but hammering into [your academic niche] is a bizarre approach to me. I also have no idea what new directions we're supposed to be hoping for.

I feel like this feedback could work for the vast majority of submissions to peer reviewed journals.

[July 28th.1540: Thomas Cromwell is executed (spoiler for Hilary Mantel's The Mirror and the Light)]

Niric fucked around with this message at 08:58 on Jan 26, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

No it isn't, but it still tramples my bloody lavender.
saw hundreds of new posts and was genuinely glad to find a food discussion rather than some new aspect of horror to view this shambling apocalypse from

beans and mushy peas vary a lot with different cooking methods- a bit like how cabbage boiled for an hour until flavourless with the texture of soggy, discount brand arse wipe is entirely different to some that's been steamed a few minutes then tossed in butter and black pepper

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Ramming the two together, you can do refried pease too.

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

The reason the sauce is thin in baked beans is because it gets thicker when you heat then up. So my suggestion is, no matter how tempting, stop eating them cold out the tin you animals

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
It's funny to me that in the rush to return to normality with a sensible, centrist public school type it never occurred to anyone that he might be an absolutely dreadful politician.

https://twitter.com/LeftieStats/status/1353824499825856513

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

Guavanaut posted:

You finally really did it, you maniacs! You finally identified as an attack helicopter! Ah, drat you!

There was that scifi story a year or so back that caused a huge outcry, "I Sexually Identify as an Attack Helicopter". Lots of people decried it as a transphobic attack more or less based on the title, and got the magazine to retract it (including at least one extremely online author who later admitted not to actually having read it). It eventually emerged that the author was herself trans but not publically out. You can read it here if you'd like.

e: To be clear the story is intentionally a little uncomfortable in places, and the title is a provocation, but I think it's fairly obviously not transphobic.

big scary monsters fucked around with this message at 09:43 on Jan 26, 2021

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

peanut- posted:

It's funny to me that in the rush to return to normality with a sensible, centrist public school type it never occurred to anyone that he might be an absolutely dreadful politician.

Yeah, I've said this from the start. Starmer would, I'm sure, make a perfectly competent head of some civil service dept, or one of the larger charities perhaps. But the qualities that make you a decent manager don't map straight onto the ones you need to be a good politician and crucially, Starmer doesn't seem to get this.

For all the melts shouting that Starmer is making Labour 'electable' again, you can see this realisation starting to creep into their consciousnesses, hence all the faintly worried articles we've been seeing about how Starmer should probably be making a start on standing for some sort of coherent political programme.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

big scary monsters posted:

There was that scifi story a year or so back that caused a huge outcry, "I Sexually Identify as an Attack Helicopter". Lots of people decried it as a transphobic attack more or less based on the title, and got the magazine to retract it (including at least one extremely online author who later admitted not to actually having read it). It eventually emerged that the author was herself trans but not publically out. You can read it here if you'd like.

e: To be clear the story is intentionally a little uncomfortable in places, and the title is a provocation, but I think it's fairly obviously not transphobic.
I guess that's not so different to the old problem of all queer lit sometimes blurring lines between clumsy queer metaphor, mockery, and reclaiming that mockery with various degrees of sincerity which will always be something of an issue in a heteronormative cisnormative world where challenges to that have to be provocative.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

therattle posted:

My son is coeliac so these are off for us. Have you tried Beyond Burgers? They’re really amazing. Better than most actual beef burgers and they thoroughly sate the meat craving. And gluten free!

Real talk, my wife wanted a Beyond Burger last night so I went down to the Tesco to get them for her. I found them in the frozen foods section.
It was only when I got home that I discovered you have to thaw them out before cooking and can't cook them from frozen. (Since she's currently a diabetic dinners have to be eaten at specific times.)
But at least we can have them for dinner tonight.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

Pistol_Pete posted:

Yeah, I've said this from the start. Starmer would, I'm sure, make a perfectly competent head of some civil service dept, or one of the larger charities perhaps. But the qualities that make you a decent manager don't map straight onto the ones you need to be a good politician and crucially, Starmer doesn't seem to get this.

For all the melts shouting that Starmer is making Labour 'electable' again, you can see this realisation starting to creep into their consciousnesses, hence all the faintly worried articles we've been seeing about how Starmer should probably be making a start on standing for some sort of coherent political programme.

i dunno he has a pretty defined platform of not liking the left, liking police and being pro-statue/often complex

e: i was thinking yesterday actually that we're around the point at which they challenged corbyn for the leadership again, but the left has even less of a chance of challenging than owen smith did and we don't even really have an owen smith figure

imo the leader of the opposition probably shouldnt be cheerleading the government as they kill 100,000 people and if anyone in politics thought real life existed he'd have resigned in disgrace over the schools thing

Communist Thoughts fucked around with this message at 09:49 on Jan 26, 2021

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

The Question IRL posted:

Real talk, my wife wanted a Beyond Burger last night so I went down to the Tesco to get them for her. I found them in the frozen foods section.
It was only when I got home that I discovered you have to thaw them out before cooking and can't cook them from frozen. (Since she's currently a diabetic dinners have to be eaten at specific times.)
But at least we can have them for dinner tonight.

I guess I should have read the cooking instructions, but I've cooked them from frozen a number of times and they were pretty good and I didn't die.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Yeah I can't imagine a non-meat based dish will have any major issues being cooked from frozen. At worst the outside might get a bit overdone.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
Last night's steaks were supposed to be defrosted but I just pan fried them from frozen and they were fine

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

If you're not striving to improve, you'll end up going backwards.
If anyone is looking for good non-meat burgers then the Moving Mountains burgers are really good.

Their hotdogs are also better than any "real" hotdog I've had.

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
RIP hedgehogs, gonna miss you

https://twitter.com/BBCNews/status/1353862461234044929

Niric
Jul 23, 2008

Half a wit, half a wit,
Half a wit 'tween them...

HappyCamperGL
May 18, 2014

His Divine Shadow posted:

I want to try mushy peas, but I don't live in the UK so what kind of pea is best to start from? Canned green peas? Dried green peas? Frozen peas?

Most dried peas here are for making pea soup (yellow or green) or garden peas for eating whole in sallads and stuff. I am not sure if it's the same kind of pea, from what I understand, garden peas are marrowfat peas that have been left to dry in the field.

It really has to be marrowfat peas. They are aged and dried in the field and have an edible outer shell.

Young garden peas are too sweet, and don't have enough starch content to form mushy peas.

Peas for soup are usually dried and have the outer shell removed and come split. This gives them a smoother texture once cooked than marrowfats. You can use them to make pease pudding by using less water than a soup, which is a similar dish to mushy peas.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

Last night's steaks were supposed to be defrosted but I just pan fried them from frozen and they were fine

Oven for 20 minutes at medium heat then (after checking they're properly defrosted/cooked through to the middle) chuck them in a pan for 30 seconds a side to get the sear. You can certainly do it in just a pan (low heat, turning frequently, then whack the heat up) but doing it in the oven needs a lot less babysitting.

(Freezing and then cooking them this way is a great way of turning cheap steak or burgers into something a bit more palatable too, it's basically ghetto sous vide)

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

Ms Adequate posted:

And licorice belongs in the bin.

100% agree.

CyberPingu posted:

A low bar to clear, to be fair.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Ms Adequate posted:

And licorice belongs in the bin.

Miftan posted:

100% agree.
A low bar to clear, to be fair.

That's because you are eating the poo poo Licorice Allsorts, the cardboard of licorice.

A workmate brought in some licorice Turkish Pepper a few years ago, and poo poo it is good.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tyrkisk_peber

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010
https://www.statista.com/statistics/1104709/coronavirus-deaths-worldwide-per-million-inhabitants/

Third worst death rate per capita in the world! And that's only really because of the tininess of Slovenia and the relative smallness of Belgium.

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid

Jakabite posted:

https://www.statista.com/statistics/1104709/coronavirus-deaths-worldwide-per-million-inhabitants/

Third worst death rate per capita in the world! And that's only really because of the tininess of Slovenia and the relative smallness of Belgium.

and the Tories are still polling 40+ lol

I hate this country and many of its inhabitants

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
The tininess of Slovenia and the relative historical position of making Britain look slightly less of a failed state by general comparison of Belgium.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Guavanaut posted:

The tininess of Slovenia and the relative historical position of making Britain look slightly less of a failed state by general comparison of Belgium.

Yeah but Belgium is a fake country where two bits who hate each other are stuck together with little common cultural currency. Britain on the other hand i- ...oh...

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Belgium at least managed to evolve into federalism, just the least functional bits.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets

He's going to run one over on the way to/from the press conference, isn't he.

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

XMNN posted:

and the Tories are still polling 40+ lol

I hate this country and many of its inhabitants

They certainly are

https://twitter.com/BritainElects/status/1353809414571089920

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

Jakabite posted:

Not been following this closely but read the new Zealand figures the other day and its astonishing how little impact its had there by comparison

Flayer
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Buglord
Not that I believe everywhere is reporting accurately (including the UK). Pretty awful regardless.

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

3 years to launder their handling of the pandemic, and no meaningful opposition. We're looking at another 8 years of tories

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Just got informed by O2 that HMRC are putting VAT on early termination charges as of 1st March. So paying off your contract early is about to get more expensive.

Flayer
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Buglord

Tarnop posted:

3 years to launder their handling of the pandemic, and no meaningful opposition. We're looking at another 8 years of tories
You know if something does take down the tories it will be something utterly stupid and irrelevant, like Boris doesn't like a certain type of pie and is caught in a lie about it or something. Actual policies and actions seems to have about zero penetration with the general populace (as brutally shown by the last election).

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Flayer posted:

You know if something does take down the tories it will be something utterly stupid and irrelevant, like Boris doesn't like a certain type of pie and is caught in a lie about it or something. Actual policies and actions seems to have about zero penetration with the general populace (as brutally shown by the last election).

We need to film Johnson eating a procession of different foodstuffs until we find one that he eats weirdly.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Grey Hunter posted:

He's going to run one over on the way to/from the press conference, isn't he.

Clarence
May 3, 2012

Did a doubletake when I saw this. It's in the middle of a village in deepest, darkest Devon about a mile from us.

The village has a secondary school that Boris visited before the general election. The story from mini-me is that one of his mates muttered "I hate Boris Johnson", but it was within earshot of him so they were given a Paddington stare in return.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

CyberPingu posted:

This simply means you haven't had a proper kosher all-beef one.

Ah, Nathan's, I miss you.

Camrath
Mar 19, 2004

The UKMT Fudge Baron

feedmegin posted:

This simply means you haven't had a proper kosher all-beef one.

Ah, Nathan's, I miss you.

I’ll admit to being a hotdog addict, much to my wife’s despair. The only real sticking point I’ve had about moving from London to the sticks is that I cannot find Gilbert’s kosher hotdogs anywhere for love nor money.

Proper snap, good flavour.. put in a warmed bun with a slice of smoked cheese, hot mustard and ketchup and I’m about as happy as can be.

gently caress, I really want hotdogs now.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
A hotdog should snap?

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

I've never had a hotdog that wouldn't be improved by replacing the frankfurter with a proper sausage instead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

peanut- posted:

https://twitter.com/LeftieStats/status/1353824499825856513

I mean I know people are mostly just missing Corbyn here, but Starmer's low-thirties average is better than any polling Corbyn had managed since 2017. Mostly it appears that Brits just don't like Labour.