Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

inferis
Dec 30, 2003

that's a yikes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carlton Banks Teller
Nov 18, 2004

:ohdear:

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x38: FLOPPY_INTERNAL_ERROR

Jestery posted:

You just reminded me how good car boys was

:(

I'm glad they finished it

Speaking of actual sex pests. Car Boys was the first Mcelroy-adjacent thing I watched.

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

is the dave matthews band or phish game funny if you are familiar with the dave matthews band and/or phish?

Tears In A Vial
Jan 13, 2008

None of the things anyone had said make me wanna listen to this episode.

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020
the mod team violated the sancity of my avatar

Kazy posted:

Speaking of actual sex pests.

Australian, mate?

number 1 snake fan
Jul 16, 2018

Laterite posted:

I remember one time on MBMBAM Griffin McElroy realized he and his brothers are just 3 Dougs and there's never been a more incisive or devastating self-own.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
The final Yahoo this week is a genuine stumper, I gotta say.

wizzardstaff
Apr 6, 2018

Zorch! Splat! Pow!

Tears In A Vial posted:

None of the things anyone had said make me wanna listen to this episode.

No one has talked about the intro yet, I thought it was good at least. Griffin starts out making GBS threads on Travis' character bit like he does, and then does a 180 and leans back into it so hard that Justin is reduced to incoherent laughter.

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Everything is in my control
Lipstick Apathy

wizzardstaff posted:

No one has talked about the intro yet, I thought it was good at least. Griffin starts out making GBS threads on Travis' character bit like he does, and then does a 180 and leans back into it so hard that Justin is reduced to incoherent laughter.

Griffin also had a little comment that was almost lost as he moved to a Yahoo early on in the show, made me lose my poo poo

9/11

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x38: FLOPPY_INTERNAL_ERROR

Marsupial Ape posted:

Australian, mate?

Nope, US, but I'm pretty sure I picked up the term watching Ashens

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!
if people are hungry for a bullshit reason to cancel Griffin: he held onto the “Barack Hussein Obama, people skip the ‘Hussein’ part but I think it’s important” joke for way longer than it was cool. Like especially once Tromp became President

One time like 3 years ago I was at a stoplight in Cambridge, Mass with my windows down listening to MBMBaM and Griffin made the joke, and I got like the worst death stare from the people in the car next to me

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
I listen to MBMBAM in my closet with the lights off so that other people may not know my shame of listening to such a scandalous podcast.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

um excuse me posted:

I listen to MBMBAM in my closet with the lights off so that other people may not know my shame of listening to such a scandalous podcast.

the walls know.

God knows

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020

Ok Comboomer posted:

if people are hungry for a bullshit reason to cancel Griffin: he held onto the “Barack Hussein Obama, people skip the ‘Hussein’ part but I think it’s important” joke for way longer than it was cool. Like especially once Tromp became President

One time like 3 years ago I was at a stoplight in Cambridge, Mass with my windows down listening to MBMBaM and Griffin made the joke, and I got like the worst death stare from the people in the car next to me

It's Travis we are trying to cancel. Griffin is a sweet baby IBS angel.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Marsupial Ape posted:

It's Travis we are trying to cancel. Griffin is a sweet baby IBS angel.

Coolness ranking of ppl associated with MaxFun:

Jean Grae

Ted Leo/Aimee Mann

John Hodgeman

everybody else
Travis

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020
John Roderick should be on there, but Jesse Thorne is a fair-weather friend.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Ok Comboomer posted:

Coolness ranking of ppl associated with MaxFun:

Jean Grae

Ted Leo/Aimee Mann

John Hodgeman

everybody else
Travis

Not explicitly mbmam but I find Judge John Hoffman guest baliffs Joel Mann and Monte Belmonte cooler than Hodgman himself.

a cyberpunk goose
May 21, 2007

petition to rename mbmbam to "white noise"

aware of dog
Nov 14, 2016

a cyberpunk goose posted:

This but every podcast

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020

a cyberpunk goose posted:

poo poo, now I have to rename my podcast.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

aware of dog posted:

This but every podcast

Stroop There It Is
Mar 11, 2012

:gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar:
:stroop: :gaysper: :stroop:
:gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar:

Ok Comboomer posted:

are you sure it wasn't because you were driving something other than a Prius

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

"people forget about the Hussein" looped around and became funny again to me

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Marsupial Ape posted:

John Roderick should be on there, but Jesse Thorne is a fair-weather friend.

I think what bugs me about it is that the McElroys openly acknowledge that their first ~100 eps are full of super problematic poo poo, as is early Jordan Jesse Go, to the point where they all joke about it and are like “get your friends to listen to the pod! But maybe not the first hundred episodes, lol” but nobody’s going out of their way to scrub that poo poo from the feed or whatever. Idk, it just makes all of the public breaking with Bean Dad feel super performative.

Stroop There It Is posted:

are you sure it wasn't because you were driving something other than a Prius

I’m 90% sure I was in a silver 00s CRV at the time, which is the most “anonymously Boston Metro area” car that you can drive. It’s that, silver Mazda 3 hatchback, and Subaru Crosstrek.

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

Ok Comboomer posted:

it just makes all of the public breaking with Bean Dad feel super performative.

Super performative wokeness? In my max fun content?

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

Shinjobi posted:

All nonsense and tomfoolery aside, Boston Market with a Nashville chicken is hilariously stupid
City names in businesses are all just weird marketing. I know that Canada has a national chain called Boston Pizza. Is Boston famous for its pizza? No. Did Boston Pizza start in Boston? Also no. Does Boston Pizza serve a specific type of pizza made only in Boston? Nope.

Colonel Whitey posted:

Whenever this comes up it’s pretty clear there’s a certain segment of people who really want the mcelroys, especially Travis, to get some kind of comeuppance for their yet-to-be-named crimes
"Someone mildly annoys me so I want them put in jail" is 100% on-brand for internet garbage people.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Ok Comboomer posted:

I think what bugs me about it is that the McElroys openly acknowledge that their first ~100 eps are full of super problematic poo poo, as is early Jordan Jesse Go, to the point where they all joke about it and are like “get your friends to listen to the pod! But maybe not the first hundred episodes, lol” but nobody’s going out of their way to scrub that poo poo from the feed or whatever. Idk, it just makes all of the public breaking with Bean Dad feel super performative.

you've already declared you're done with the network and not listening to any show anymore, you could just stop making angry negative posts in this thread about old drama that continue to make it worse

inferis
Dec 30, 2003

There’s an entire generation of 30 somethings willfully pretending to forget what humor was like in the Obama era. The obvious example being Jon Stewart doing a racist voice when talking about any black politician.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Previa_fun posted:

Super performative wokeness? In my max fun content?

do you think the brothers fight over who gets to play a woman every time there’s a new Adventure Zone season?

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

inferis
Dec 30, 2003

Nothing more woke than three Christian white dudes from West Virginia role playing as transgender poc.

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020

Ok Comboomer posted:

The bean story was a big nothing story and people treat getting 'triggered' like its performance art. I am not downplaying or dismissing parental cruelty, especially in regards to withholding food (I have a friend whose mother was a meth head and kept him alive one jar of peanut butter at a time), but that was Twitter firmly appreciating the smell of its own farts.

As for his old jokes making fun of racists by parroting their talking points...yeah, that's a bad look and I don't particularly agree with how aggressive he got with it, but I am a nuanced adult and I understand the comedy culture that Roderick came up in the 80's and 90s. The Kids in the Hall, Mr. Show with Bob & Dad, all that very dark and very ironic Gen X skit comedy is about punching up by starkly displaying the ideology and words of hateful people in contrast to mundane situations. Do we cancel David Cross, a Jewish man who grew up in Georgia and is angrier for it, for his old stand up routines where he did impersonations of the rednecks who said and did terrible things to him? That's what that ironic mode of comedy is about : showing how inherently ridiculous a bad person is by acting exactly like them. I do realize that it is not the best way to get the message across and that intention is not impact, but John Roderick is neither a Nazi or a abusive parent. John Roderick is just an aging liberal Gen Xer that likes to hold court just a little too much.

I recommend everybody go back and watch the very first episode of Reno 911!. It is a spot on accurate take down of police incompetence and brutality, only more slightly ridiculous because they randomly assault Mormon kids instead of Black kids. It goddam encapsulates everything we are dealing with now, but 20 years later that show could never be made because, honestly, reality has gotten too close to the parody.

inferis
Dec 30, 2003

The problem with the bean dad is the inherent twitter problem that nobody familiar with John’s work misunderstood the anecdote and as soon as it blew up everyone outside of his audience did.

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020
Listening to John Roderick and Merlin Mann for the last ten years has made me a less lovely person. Just imagine how lovely I was in my late 20s/early 30s.

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

inferis posted:

Nothing more woke than three Christian white dudes from West Virginia role playing as transgender poc.

They're damned if they do and damned if they don't really. On one hand you have the scenario you outlined, on the other hand McElroy fans lose their mind over green skin and glass shark.

Also Lup is Chalupa. :colbert:

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

Ok Comboomer posted:

0-100 are incredibly funny and I hope they don't get scrubbed

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

eke out posted:

you've already declared you're done with the network and not listening to any show anymore, you could just stop making angry negative posts in this thread about old drama that continue to make it worse

I never declared anything dude, I just said I’d fallen out of listening to various podcasts after years of getting bored and finding other poo poo to listen to and generally changing my media habits and Friendly Fire was the last one at the moment. It genuinely felt kinda strange that after a decade+ of listening to MaxFun shows I didn’t have any that I was currently following.

I haven’t made any commitment to unsubscribe or stop listening to MaxFun’s content. Hell if they do another season of Art of Process I’m 100% for it. I’ll probably start listening to Hodgman or FlopHouse again soon enough, I got tired of Elliot’s “deliberately rude and annoying” gimmick (honestly I think he’s way more annoying than Travis, but he lands better jokes).

It’s funny that you seem to think that I’m the problem here, and the source of the weird vibes, and not all of the people unironically speculating on whether Travis is a sex pest. Way to go.

inferis
Dec 30, 2003

They should get jimmy buffett to do their new theme song.

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

inferis posted:

They should get jimmy buffett to do their new theme song.

I hear he loves the kids the kids love him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!

Previa_fun posted:

Also Lup is Chalupa. :colbert:

:aaaaa: