Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arkhamina
Mar 30, 2008

Arkham Whore.
Fallen Rib
I would love a Russian cooking thread, although/because I know next to nothing about the food.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008
Food grade chemical suppliers?

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Okay gimme a day or two for Russian food thread

I am not knowledgeable on it at all, it will be a journey of discovery

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE
A Slavic food thread would be cooler as it could encompass similar but different foods like Polish, Hungarian and the like.

Happy Hat
Aug 11, 2008

He just wants someone to shake his corks, is that too much to ask??
Geriatric cooking: the second gumming of the rice!

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

Croatoan posted:

A Slavic food thread would be cooler as it could encompass similar but different foods like Polish, Hungarian and the like.
I agree! There's a lot of Hungarian and Polish food I'm a fan of (my family is Russian, Hungarian, and Polish, but most of our culinary traditions come from the latter two) but which probably can't support their own threads.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

Oh hello.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE

OOO I wanna see some of that Jewish Cookery plz

Someone make the slav thread!

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

Croatoan posted:

OOO I wanna see some of that Jewish Cookery plz

Someone make the slav thread!

How about a nice borscht?

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Anne Whateley posted:

Bob Wells Nursery in Mineola, TX (northeast) has 50 kinds of apple trees. If they don't have skilled arborists experienced with apple trees on staff, they can certainly direct you to them, and to ag extension centers that know a shitload about apples in TX (they exist).

GWS has zero experts on pruning apple trees in Texas. They have a bunch. Call them. https://bobwellsnursery.com/contact-us-bob-wells-nursery/

Mr. Wiggles posted:

I second Anne Whately's post above. At this stage, consult the arborist. That doesn't mean they have to do the work for you, but they could tell you a few things more specific to that part of Texas that would be useful before you get cutting.

I didn’t know about Bob Wells. I’ll go down there and check with them, then. I need to pick up a new dogwood tree anyway.

Thanks for the tip!

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE

toplitzin posted:

What's their latke recipe?

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

toplitzin posted:

gently caress that looks a lot like Daniel Gritzer’s recipe. What book is this

Gritzer’s was excellent by the way

Arkhamina
Mar 30, 2008

Arkham Whore.
Fallen Rib
I bought that Anne V. Russian book, but haven't made stuff from it, need to plan out a grocery trip. I get mocked for my love of paprika, I would love some hungarian tips!

Happy Hat
Aug 11, 2008

People shouldn’t paprika shame! It is a gateway spice, which leads to more and ever more nuanced flavors....

Paprika is the savory vanilla!

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Happy Hat posted:

People shouldn’t paprika shame! It is a gateway spice, which leads to more and ever more nuanced flavors....

Paprika is the savory vanilla!

Hjäppy Hjät! Hëllō!

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Welcome back Hat friend. How are the kids? :3:

And paprika indeed owns. Smoked paprika especially.

Happy Hat
Aug 11, 2008

Manuel Calavera posted:

Welcome back Hat friend. How are the kids? :3:

And paprika indeed owns. Smoked paprika especially.

The kids have chosen different directions in life...

One is a pretty ballerina...
One is an antifa queer-feministic anarchistic activist.

So dance recitals and calls from the po-po at 4am, because of a banner drop - their dad is equally proud of them both!

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
gently caress yeah, that owns. They both own. (Although I'm biased towards the queer kid because that's in my wheelhouse more than ballet. :kimchi:)

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat
Both sound cool to me (I also love dance. And smoked paprika).

Arkhamina
Mar 30, 2008

Arkham Whore.
Fallen Rib
Hah, I like the vanilla reference. I keep big stocks of Penzeys smoked, half sharp, and normal. Eggs without a good dusting taste weird now.

On a random note, I really miss cooking for people beyond my two person household. I used to host games every weekend, and cook for 12-15 people. Now I cook once in a while for a local charity, but everything is takeout containers, in a fridge, and I never see the people eat. I didn't realize how much I enjoyed feeding friends. Just not the same when you are not across the table.

My friends going to get stuffed like fois gras geese when they can come over again.

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

Arkhamina posted:

Hah, I like the vanilla reference. I keep big stocks of Penzeys smoked, half sharp, and normal. Eggs without a good dusting taste weird now.

On a random note, I really miss cooking for people beyond my two person household. I used to host games every weekend, and cook for 12-15 people. Now I cook once in a while for a local charity, but everything is takeout containers, in a fridge, and I never see the people eat. I didn't realize how much I enjoyed feeding friends. Just not the same when you are not across the table.

My friends going to get stuffed like fois gras geese when they can come over again.

This, a dozen times. Worse now that my fiancée is a time zone away caring for her moms and I am cooking for “who?” I did make a nice send off meal for her Monday night: roast chicken with steamed rosemary potatoes (dressed in the pan sauce), roast cauliflower with paprika and thyme, and braised leeks. Really a fun winter meal, a great reminder to pay the $20 for the best chicken you can get (she was still raving about the dinner the next morning!) and get multiple meals from a single bird. Now that I’m cooking for myself, of course, it’s time for, uh, tiny pot pies? Salads? Hummus and scotch for dinner? Who are we kidding. Breakfast.

Welcome back, Hät.

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO
I haven't cooked for anyone else since a random date in between our lockdowns.

Christmas Dinner for one was a wrench, I'm used to 20.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

that's one way to get iron in your diet

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

BrianBoitano posted:

that's one way to get iron in your diet

Hell on the teeth though.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

Arkhamina posted:

God I feel you there. It's been a full year since I cooked for anyone but me, and I'm starting to go slightly mad.

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

I love it when Iidl over here in Ireland does its range of 'American' food - it's like someone google translated US snack foods through about 17 languages, then taste-tested the results only in Germany and voilá, 'Hamburger-flavoured Cowboy Cruspies' are born

edit: I just noticed that you can rearrange the name and it doesn't really sound any weirder or worse;

Cowboy-flavoured Hamburger Cruspies
Cruspie-flavoured Cowboy Hamburgers

Pookah fucked around with this message at 12:48 on Jan 28, 2021

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Pookah posted:

I love it when Iidl over here in Ireland does its range of 'American' food - it's like someone google translated US snack foods through about 17 languages, then taste-tested the results only in Germany and voilá, 'Hamburger-flavoured Cowboy Cruspies' are born

edit: I just noticed that you can rearrange the name and it doesn't really sound any weirder or worse;

Ah yes, the well-known Mcennedy clan.

Happy Hat
Aug 11, 2008

Liquid Communism posted:

God I feel you there. It's been a full year since I cooked for anyone but me, and I'm starting to go slightly mad.

I have cooked for family and for myself... I have cooked things I have never cooked before, and I have gotten to experiment with poo poo I never thought I would get the time to do...

I loving hate the lockdown - I miss being with people - celebrating, mourning, playing, talking, doing manly poo poo, and talking girl-talks.. I miss traveling...

I miss staying out all night, drinking, singing, dancing, talking, smoking cigarettes and falling down drunk.

I have had a friday bar for the entire thing, where I've met with different people, over FaceTime - 4 people per bar... Sitting and drinking for a couple of hours in each our own home, and that has helped immensely.

edit: And I loving miss dino - so get back here you oaf!

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

The ocean is calling and I must go

Pookah posted:

Are they made for cowboys or made of cowboys?

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
Perhaps by cowboys.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

American made, by cowboys, for cowboys. Yeehaw, pardner.

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

Got me some geniune saddle-hardened cowboy cruspies.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Pookah posted:

Got me some geniune saddle-hardened cowboy cruspies.

Those cowboys need to change their underwear more often.

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

It reminds me of the Americana theme restaurant in The Good Place tv show which featured a "4th of July" drink special that is half an apple pie, blended with southern comfort and Coca-Cola and served in a Chevy hub cap.

https://news.avclub.com/check-out-all-these-jokes-packed-into-the-good-place-s-1829553346

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Eat This Glob posted:

It reminds me of the Americana theme restaurant in The Good Place tv show which featured a "4th of July" drink special that is half an apple pie, blended with southern comfort and Coca-Cola and served in a Chevy hub cap.

https://news.avclub.com/check-out-all-these-jokes-packed-into-the-good-place-s-1829553346

NGL I could see that working.

I've already told my East London homies when this poo poo is over im holding a fuckoff massive bbq at mine. Might even get a new grill/smoker for superior pulled pork purposes.

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

feedmegin posted:

NGL I could see that working.

I've already told my East London homies when this poo poo is over im holding a fuckoff massive bbq at mine. Might even get a new grill/smoker for superior pulled pork purposes.

Hell let me know and I’ll hop across the pond. I know I should be grateful for the chance to experience more of the great Union of American states but I am real ready to get the hell out of this dumpster fire for a few weeks.

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.

Happy Hat posted:

I have cooked for family and for myself... I have cooked things I have never cooked before, and I have gotten to experiment with poo poo I never thought I would get the time to do...

I loving hate the lockdown - I miss being with people - celebrating, mourning, playing, talking, doing manly poo poo, and talking girl-talks.. I miss traveling...

I miss staying out all night, drinking, singing, dancing, talking, smoking cigarettes and falling down drunk.

I have had a friday bar for the entire thing, where I've met with different people, over FaceTime - 4 people per bar... Sitting and drinking for a couple of hours in each our own home, and that has helped immensely.

edit: And I loving miss dino - so get back here you oaf!

I'm here, I'm here! I never left!

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dino! Friend! :3:
I think I gifted a copy of your book to a friend. And have mentioned it to others.

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.
Awww! That’s too sweet of you. Couple of friends unearthed their copy of the book, and made a food. It was very nice to see.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

dino. posted:

Awww! That’s too sweet of you. Couple of friends unearthed their copy of the book, and made a food. It was very nice to see.

It’s too cold to go outside, you say?