Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

A full accumulator is a component of one of the buildings. You need 20 of them to make the thing. So it’s a separate item.

They are also how you transfer power between planets, you literally charge giant stacks of batteries up in a special building and then load them onto a freighter and then offload them into the equivalent building on the other planet and discharge them into the power grid.

It's like elon musk designed an electrical system it's amazing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

The Postman posted:

Is that even possible? I restarted because I was just overwhelmed with how quickly I unlocked stuff and I had a hell of a time finding copper on my new planet, but it was there! If you press M you can scroll around the planet and take a closer look.

It should also show in the top right the resource count on the planet when you hit M. That seems like a bug if you legit started somewhere without Iron.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day
tried raising a conveyor to go over another building and it wouldn't let me do it. sadly. you sure can lift em high though, it's almost like rollercoaster tycoon.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

LifeSunDeath posted:

tried raising a conveyor to go over another building and it wouldn't let me do it. sadly. you sure can lift em high though, it's almost like rollercoaster tycoon.

You should be able to, I had to lift a bunch of conveyors over my power plant area yesterday because I needed to expand. I was able to get it over once I got to the right height. I guess it depends on how tall the building is you're trying to build over?

The Postman
May 12, 2007

explosivo posted:

It should also show in the top right the resource count on the planet when you hit M. That seems like a bug if you legit started somewhere without Iron.

I think that's only visible after one of the early upgrades though. I'm not certain what kind of iron supplies you start with but I don't know if it's enough to unlock it. I'm assuming the game was just rude as hell and generated a starting planet with super sparse iron, but yeah, that has to be a bug if there's genuinely no iron. The little tutorial guy even says "you'll have everything you need to get started" as you're flying to the planet.

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler

MrYenko posted:

First game status: No iron ore on starting planet.

:suicide:

What was the seed?

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Ambaire posted:

What was the seed?

I think it was

EDIT: I already started a new game with iron though, so I remain unconcerned.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

explosivo posted:

You should be able to, I had to lift a bunch of conveyors over my power plant area yesterday because I needed to expand. I was able to get it over once I got to the right height. I guess it depends on how tall the building is you're trying to build over?

I'll have to try again, I'm only a few hours into the game and only messed around with it once. Was trying to build over my research building which is probably why it blocked me.

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler

MrYenko posted:

I think it was

EDIT: I already started a new game with iron though, so I remain unconcerned.

If that is the seed, then there may not be any iron near the landing site, but there's lots about 45 degrees away.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

LifeSunDeath posted:

No you absolutely can run them over buildings, you just might not have put it high enough.

The game really does make nice screenshots

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

OwlFancier posted:

No you absolutely can run them over buildings, you just might not have put it high enough.

The game really does make nice screenshots

radical. I will work on this later, I'm going for my second dose of covid vax in an hour and I'm extremely anxious about getting this over with. ugh I can't loving think straight right now, and have zero chill.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

LifeSunDeath posted:

radical. I will work on this later, I'm going for my second dose of covid vax in an hour and I'm extremely anxious about getting this over with. ugh I can't loving think straight right now, and have zero chill.

drat, grats.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

OwlFancier posted:

Interstellar and interplanetary are the same thing, you upgrade them to interstellar with a later research, but the interstellar hub is what you need for between planets.

Inter and Intra, however, are different. The first level logistics hub only serves within the same planet, the second level hub will also serve between different planets as well as within the same planet.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

I packed everything up and flew 25LY away to a new star with almost 3.0 luminosity to build my swarm/sphere there instead instead of my home star. Then i got sidetracked paving an entire lava world in concrete (had to farm up soil pile from nearby planets)

Then I built a ring of railguns all the way around the equator and started shipping in massive amounts of solar sails from my home star.

I think I've done it, I've built enough guns to kill the sun.

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 18:05 on Jan 26, 2021

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

This rules. I keep forgetting that there's other classes of stars out there and apparently a black hole somewhere. I would love for a way to harness a black hole for.. something. I dunno what but it would be cool as hell!

Manyorcas
Jun 16, 2007

The person who arrives last is fined, regardless of whether that person's late or not.

explosivo posted:

This rules. I keep forgetting that there's other classes of stars out there and apparently a black hole somewhere. I would love for a way to harness a black hole for.. something. I dunno what but it would be cool as hell!

:eng101:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ulCdoCfw-bY

Kurzgesagt has a number of similar cool videos on topics directly related to this game.

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

Has anyone gotten the logistics dudes to actually use warpers? My guys are slowboating it to another star no matter what config, even though they seem to be consuming warpers.

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

"Nothing a shitload of bleach won't fix"

Is there a decent way to set up your oil refineries so they're neater? I got into red science finally and apparently you need a bunch of refineries to get a decent amount of hydrogen and with the way they have outputs and inputs I can't figure out how to get crude in and the products out without a massive amount of twisting that just doesn't work or takes up 5 times the amount of space it should.

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN

seaborgium posted:

Is there a decent way to set up your oil refineries so they're neater? I got into red science finally and apparently you need a bunch of refineries to get a decent amount of hydrogen and with the way they have outputs and inputs I can't figure out how to get crude in and the products out without a massive amount of twisting that just doesn't work or takes up 5 times the amount of space it should.

Just go end to end and use one side of input and the other for output.

Your grabbers can stretch three spaces.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Skyl3lazer posted:

Has anyone gotten the logistics dudes to actually use warpers? My guys are slowboating it to another star no matter what config, even though they seem to be consuming warpers.

The game lists your warp speed in the upgrade screen, they only move at 0.1ly/s in mine so it will take them a while to travel.

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN
Ok so solar sails are more important than I thought. When you are build the inner shell of your Dyson Sphere, the sails will get pulled in to form the energetic shell.

Deadmeat5150 fucked around with this message at 19:03 on Jan 26, 2021

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

OwlFancier posted:

The game lists your warp speed in the upgrade screen, they only move at 0.1ly/s in mine so it will take them a while to travel.

.....so is interstellar logistics just not possible? like at that rate, even with warpers, it'll take 15+ minutes to get each shipment, and it doesn't pre-plan lol

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Skyl3lazer posted:

I haven't watched them to see if they actually physically warp (or timed it) but it takes my ships with maxed out ship speed research probably 2-4 minutes to travel 25 LY between planets while consuming warpers. They won't pick up from another star at all without the warpers.

I imagine they end the warp however many AU out from the target planet and have to fly to the surface

Interstellar logistics doesn't seem necessary except for the purpose of getting rare materials from other stars delivered to wherever your primary base is, or a handful of rare items or other low-consumption goods. Most stars have all of the standard resources available and if you don't like your home star it's easy to fly to a new one :v:

I ended up cheating for green tech to just finish off my research then gently caress around for a while before putting the game down until more content is released. I'm guessing there's more content planned because a lot of the late-game tech feels like it should be mid-game - it takes until the end of the tech tree to start feeling like interstellar industry is truly possible and now that I'm here (everything except infinite researches done) I have a ton of momentum behind me to expand without a goal other than finishing the sphere, which is unlikely to require expanding. I would love to see late-game tech that let me shape the star systems around me - terraforming planets, or crashing two planets together to make them bigger and combine their resources, or moving planets between star systems. Maybe some kind of space stations as interstellar hubs/recharge/storage points between stars, etc.

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 19:02 on Jan 26, 2021

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Skyl3lazer posted:

.....so is interstellar logistics just not possible? like at that rate, even with warpers, it'll take 15+ minutes to get each shipment, and it doesn't pre-plan lol

What are you trying to ship and how far?

It doesn't pre plan but you can set the shipping hubs to try to maintain a certain amount of goods, so that's your buffer. You can make as many ships as you want so after a while if you have a heavy and steady throughput you should have a huge swarm of ships in flight between hubs.

E: ok so looking at the one i just set up, the remote planet doesn't have any warpers, but the homeworld does, I put some interstellar logi ships in the remote planet's hub, and they did in fact take off to try and slowboat to the homeworld. However, the homeworld also sent logi ships out to deliver, and they did warp in, quite quickly, because they had warpers at the launch site. They also warped back (I assume they bring two, one out, one back)

So, my suggestion would be to set up a hub on your homeworld to supply warpers, and use that to stock your other planets, because yes otherwise they will totally launch without warpers.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 19:05 on Jan 26, 2021

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Deadmeat5150 posted:

This is exactly how I have mine set up except I only have one row of oil going up the middle. It's infintely expandable as long as you have the space to move in that direction, just have to knock out the conveyors at the end and wrap them around once you add more to it.

TwystNeko
Dec 25, 2004

*ya~~wn*

Deadmeat5150 posted:

That's really nice and compact, but don't you have issues with resource starvation for refineries further down the line?

I set my refinery farm up with splitters everywhere. WAY more spaghetti, but no blockages / starvation.

On a tip note: if you want to upgrade a T1 storage to a T2 storage, you can CTRL-click the items in the T1, even if you can't hold them in your inventory. They just hang out on your cursor. Then you can click on the T2 and deposit them. Don't right-click though, you'll lose whatever you've got.

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN

TwystNeko posted:

That's really nice and compact, but don't you have issues with resource starvation for refineries further down the line?

I set my refinery farm up with splitters everywhere. WAY more spaghetti, but no blockages / starvation.

On a tip note: if you want to upgrade a T1 storage to a T2 storage, you can CTRL-click the items in the T1, even if you can't hold them in your inventory. They just hang out on your cursor. Then you can click on the T2 and deposit them. Don't right-click though, you'll lose whatever you've got.

That setup only exists to fill a small gap in my hydrogen production. The fuel gets turned into plastic.

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN

explosivo posted:

This is exactly how I have mine set up except I only have one row of oil going up the middle. It's infintely expandable as long as you have the space to move in that direction, just have to knock out the conveyors at the end and wrap them around once you add more to it.

I discovered using the three down the middle work best with long lines as it ensures there's rarely no resources at the end of the line and keeps production fairly steady.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Deadmeat5150 posted:

I discovered using the three down the middle work best with long lines as it ensures there's rarely no resources at the end of the line and keeps production fairly steady.

Yeah that's smart. I think now that I have T3 Belts/Sorters it's less of an issue but definitely something to consider before you can stack resources quickly since the fluid tanks have 3 outputs to pull from.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

New patch just landed a few minutes ago, some good stuff in the first few lines lol

quote:

We wonder that if our dear engineers still stay up late after the CentreBrain have release the clock from real life yesterday. Engineers, remember to take care of yourselves, improve their immunity and eat good, rest good.

A Prompt: if you can't launch the game with a "not responding" error under Windows 10 system, we suggest to check Window Update to get the latest Windows 10 version. It is known that Windows 10 1709 version may not be able to run Unity engine games.

[Version 0.6.15.5651]

Feature:
The advisor is bringing 2 new guidelines for you.
Add a readable XML file for game option saving. This file can solve the game crash caused by an error on initial game options while launch the game.
Add a path override file which can be used to solve the problem that some players are not able to launch the game due to the system disk directory.
(If you can't start the game, try the following steps: Find [Game installation path / config/ path.txt ], fill in 'archive' in [path.txt], save and exit it. and then start the game again.)

Change:
Some texture and map have been modified in order to adapt to certain resolutions

Balance:
The probability of Deuterium fractionation has been increased from 0.5% to 1% (only apply to the new facilities build after this patch)
Increase the generating capacity of Dyson swarm from 30kW/solar sail to 36kW/solar sail

Looking forward to your feedback in Discord and Google Form! See you next time!

Bolded is mine, time to re-build your Fractionators, folks!

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

I AM THE ONLY ONE IN THIS GAME WHO GETS LAID
I'm seeing more and more screenshots of people lining up mini malls that start and/or end with an intraplanetary hub and I'm reconsidering my entire design choice of spaghetti everywhere. It just looks so much nicer to have the logistics depots requesting the 3 things that chain of assemblers needs and going from there.

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN

Fhqwhgads posted:

I'm seeing more and more screenshots of people lining up mini malls that start and/or end with an intraplanetary hub and I'm reconsidering my entire design choice of spaghetti everywhere. It just looks so much nicer to have the logistics depots requesting the 3 things that chain of assemblers needs and going from there.

This is what I've started doing and the only issue is that it's extremely power hungry.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

My factory is so inefficient it's hilarious. Really trying to grind foundation blocks so I can open up my play area, don't enjoy the fact that I have to smooth down areas first to get dirt, oh well. What technology unlocks red cube research? I've done nearly all the blue cube only stuff.

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

"Nothing a shitload of bleach won't fix"

LifeSunDeath posted:

My factory is so inefficient it's hilarious. Really trying to grind foundation blocks so I can open up my play area, don't enjoy the fact that I have to smooth down areas first to get dirt, oh well. What technology unlocks red cube research? I've done nearly all the blue cube only stuff.

It's near the bottom of the tech tree, Energy Matrix. It's to the right of High Efficiency Plasma Control. Took me forever to find it as well.

And I have the same problem with foundation, I really wish there was a way to make dirt as dumb as that is.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

seaborgium posted:

It's near the bottom of the tech tree, Energy Matrix. It's to the right of High Efficiency Plasma Control. Took me forever to find it as well.

And I have the same problem with foundation, I really wish there was a way to make dirt as dumb as that is.

I see, ty!

A GIANT PARSNIP
Apr 13, 2010

Too much fuckin' eggnog

Do thermal plants generate more energy with higher energy fuels, or does the fuel just last longer per cycle?

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Just a funny av. Not a redtext or an own ok.
I think it just lasts longer, same as when you feed it to your mech

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Can I not get hydrogen from water? I want to start red cube research because I've just about finished everything with blue cubes (I think I'm in the middle of the last one but it's just an upgrade) but I can't figure out how to get hydrogen.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.
Your first hydrogen will come from refining oil.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Rynoto posted:

Your first hydrogen will come from refining oil.

ugh the closest oil to me is so far away :(

I wish the wireless chargers had a bigger range so I didn't have to just haul a bunch of coal around to power my robit