Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Don't forget our other favorite self-radicalized history podcaster
https://twitter.com/BloombergTV/status/1347334592517304321

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Any news on The History of Byzantium?

Also are there any good literary studies podcasts? Anything that's at least mid-weight scholarly?

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

CommonShore posted:

I miss it too. He said it would be off until spring this year, so we still got a few months to wait.

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

CommonShore posted:

Also are there any good literary studies podcasts? Anything that's at least mid-weight scholarly?

New Books Network literary studies sub-podcast. I haven't listened in a few years but the production wasn't great but the content was high level the last time I listened.

https://podcasts.apple.com/podcast/id426178886

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

evilpicard posted:

New Books Network literary studies sub-podcast. I haven't listened in a few years but the production wasn't great but the content was high level the last time I listened.

https://podcasts.apple.com/podcast/id426178886

Thanks! I'll check it out! 100% of the time I'll take content over production, if I have to choose.

TheLoquid
Nov 5, 2008

CommonShore posted:

I plugged it earlier in the thread but the Canon Ball is a pretty good dive into Harold Bloom’s Western Canon.

https://thecanonballpodcast.wordpress.com/

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.
Huge thumbs up to whoever recommended Floodlines a couple pages back, I finally got around to listening and it was great. Definitely worth the listen.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.
Fall of Civilizations podcast has a new episode up as well. 3.5 hours on the Inca :getin:

Quixotic1
Jul 25, 2007

Dan's released a new episode of Common Sense I don't think I can listen to what he's gonna say right now. Anyone listened to it yet?

jeremiah johnson
Nov 3, 2007

Quixotic1 posted:

Dan's released a new episode of Common Sense I don't think I can listen to what he's gonna say right now. Anyone listened to it yet?

On my playlist for tomorrow. If no-one else has reported back I'll let you know.

Appoda
Oct 30, 2013

I'm slightly curious and it's in my feed, but if you wanna take that bullet for us, I'll gladly wait.

Cockblocktopus
Apr 18, 2009

Since the beginning of time, man has yearned to destroy the sun.

I assume most of the posters in this thread subscribe to Behind the Bastards, but Robert Evans just released a new podcast called "Behind the Insurrections" that's going to look at fascist uprisings. The first episode (about Mussolini's March on Rome) dropped today.

Personally I'm a little hot and cold on BtB but I've come to really appreciate Robert's journalism on unrest and conflict over the last year or two so this looks like something I'll really love.

Just Chamber
Feb 10, 2014

WE MUST RETURN TO THE DANCE! THE NIGHT IS OURS!

Common Sense was more of the same centrist Carlin takes really. In a way equating the BLM rioters who got out of control with those that beached the capitol and again saying that we shouldn't be punching nazis because eye for an eye will just lead to more violence etc. I get what Dan is going for and in a way he is right that that isn't the way to tackle far right extremism as it is in the US atm but also I don't think this is the time to be focusing on that at all and instead he should have been addressing how loving terrifying the situation has become with these right wingers seeing as they nearly executed some politicians for God sake.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
I generally agree with the apolitical stuff Dan is saying (mobs get out of hand and can break away from their true cause, your side isn't destined to win a given struggle, people are too insulated in their chosen beliefs and it's tough to break out of it), but the equivalence between far-left and far-right protestors in his mind is super flawed and speaks to the power of the current right-wing media (or maybe the weakness/lack of true left-wing media). A bunch of leftist activists harassing the mayor of Portland at dinner is way different from an armed and somewhat coordinated break-in of the drat US Capitol and it's crazy to me that a guy who has spent years studying and discussing World War II can't see that. Or talking about how the presence of Antifa motivates the far right and makes people sympathetic to them...but talking about it in a way that makes it clear that he's fallen for the same propaganda he's warning about.

E: maybe I'm just too plugged into online leftism here and outside of SA but it really brings me down when I see a historian talk about appeasing or balancing out with the current GOP/Trump cult as if there isn't great historical precedent about why that's a bad idea. Thank God for Mike Duncan and Patrick Wyman I guess.

C-Euro fucked around with this message at 18:25 on Jan 14, 2021

Penisaurus Sex
Feb 3, 2009

asdfghjklpoiuyt
Dan's not a historian. He's a talk radio host (I think?)

Not that being a historian would preclude having opinions like that.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I think Mike Duncan put best the way the context changes everything in his thread. Like both the context of how as more facts come out it's more evident that there was an even more violent contingent of the mob that was directly out to hurt people, and the context that everything about the riot was entirely based on lies.

https://twitter.com/mikeduncan/status/1347120575605579776

Because if you zoom out from the specifics of how much coordination there was between leaders in office and the mob and whether there was a direct incitement to violence, the entire premise that they were there to protest over was a lie. There's been no significant evidence of voter fraud, and Trump had been saying he wouldn't accept electoral results where he didn't win since 2016. This was a premeditated and manufactured crisis from top to bottom.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Dan's problem is the same problem he's always had with his Common Sense takes, which is that he's opining for a specific political climate that simply does not and cannot exist in this country right now, which makes his both-sidesing at the best naïve and at worst incredibly problematic. Dan genuinely believes that sensible people should be able to sit down for sensible negotiation and compromise, irrespective of the divide between their held political beliefs. Since extremism of any kind is diametrically opposed to such a worldview, he holds both the far left and the far right as equally culpable in political dysfunction. I disagree that he's fallen for right wing propaganda, I think he's simply clinging to an out of touch idealistic view of how he thinks politics should work.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

SlothfulCobra posted:

I think Mike Duncan put best the way the context changes everything in his thread. Like both the context of how as more facts come out it's more evident that there was an even more violent contingent of the mob that was directly out to hurt people, and the context that everything about the riot was entirely based on lies.

Because if you zoom out from the specifics of how much coordination there was between leaders in office and the mob and whether there was a direct incitement to violence, the entire premise that they were there to protest over was a lie. There's been no significant evidence of voter fraud, and Trump had been saying he wouldn't accept electoral results where he didn't win since 2016. This was a premeditated and manufactured crisis from top to bottom.

Oh yeah I remember seeing that thread, thanks for the reminder.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

SlothfulCobra posted:

Duncan is bang on here.

I also think Trump's speech on the 6th is being weighted much too heavily. It's the months of speeches and tweets and lawsuits leading up to this moment.

Still, I'm interested in what Carlin has to say; I frequently agree with him on such matters.

Parakeet vs. Phone
Nov 6, 2009
It normally wouldn't count for here, but QAnon Anonymous did a 2-hour podcast generally covering the 6th and spoke to Elle Reeve, a reporter on the ground that day. It's a lot more serious than their usual episodes and if you're feeling a little out of the loop on QAnon's role in the whole thing it's a good way to catch up. Episode #125: Coup Anon. It also ends with a fun segment dunking on white supremacists' tattoos badly trying to take Norse mythology.

It just made me think of it, since Duncan's point is pretty much where they are after following QAnon and the far right for a few years. The whole thing was built off of months of calculated lies and performances and an entire ecosystem that supported it. It didn't just spring out of Trump's call and until we really deal with that we're pretty much doomed to keep repeating it.

Parakeet vs. Phone fucked around with this message at 00:32 on Jan 15, 2021

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Cockblocktopus posted:

I assume most of the posters in this thread subscribe to Behind the Bastards, but Robert Evans just released a new podcast called "Behind the Insurrections" that's going to look at fascist uprisings. The first episode (about Mussolini's March on Rome) dropped today.

Personally I'm a little hot and cold on BtB but I've come to really appreciate Robert's journalism on unrest and conflict over the last year or two so this looks like something I'll really love.

Is it it's own podcast like "It Could Happen Here" or will it be popping up in the BtB main feed? I don't love every guest on the show but he's a fine writer and story-teller in his own right, and some of the subjects he covers are both eye-opening and jaw-dropping.

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it

100YrsofAttitude posted:

Is it it's own podcast like "It Could Happen Here" or will it be popping up in the BtB main feed? I don't love every guest on the show but he's a fine writer and story-teller in his own right, and some of the subjects he covers are both eye-opening and jaw-dropping.

The first couple of episodes have been in the BtB feed. It'll be the same as Behind the Police earlier this year as well as Uprising, where it has a standalone feed as well as being in the BtB feed

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Spoeank posted:

The first couple of episodes have been in the BtB feed. It'll be the same as Behind the Police earlier this year as well as Uprising, where it has a standalone feed as well as being in the BtB feed

Cool ok. Behind the Police was real good too. Only one I haven't listened to is the bits on Portland itself. Though I plan to get there. I finally got to 2020 in the archives and so I'll be caught up before long.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

webmeister posted:

Fall of Civilizations podcast has a new episode up as well. 3.5 hours on the Inca :getin:

This is extremely good

Dr. Lucien Sanchez
Jan 19, 2011

Lawman 0 posted:

This is extremely good

Why is it so good? I mean, I agree completely, but what is the motivation to release a free podcast of this quality with this level of production value and no advertising? Amazing.

Omnicarus
Jan 16, 2006

Dr. Lucien Sanchez posted:

Why is it so good? I mean, I agree completely, but what is the motivation to release a free podcast of this quality with this level of production value and no advertising? Amazing.

It does make about 10k a month off it's patreon so it has some money behind it

Appoda
Oct 30, 2013

New releases are seldom, but each are so well made that they're worth a re-listen.

Meanwhile, this Carlin guy... I'm starting to think you could make a drinking game over how often he cites a right wing crackpot as his sources.

kanonvandekempen
Mar 14, 2009

Appoda posted:

New releases are seldom, but each are so well made that they're worth a re-listen.

Meanwhile, this Carlin guy... I'm starting to think you could make a drinking game over how often he cites a right wing crackpot as his sources.

Yeah, he used to create amazing content 10 years ago when there wasn't much competition, but these days the overall quality of podcasts has increased so much, and he hasn't been able to keep up.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

kanonvandekempen posted:

Yeah, he used to create amazing content 10 years ago when there wasn't much competition, but these days the overall quality of podcasts has increased so much, and he hasn't been able to keep up.

He's like an old heavyweight boxer. If an alien came to earth it would see that he used to be fun to listen to but eventually just took too many blows to the head.

busalover
Sep 12, 2020

kanonvandekempen posted:

Idk I think the biggest issue with his content is its length, as well as the waiting time between the episodes. For many people, podcasts nowadays occupy the same space as TV shows; they want bite-sized regularity instead of mega-chunks that drop whenever. Switching to a weekly format that's shorter and more to the point could improve things.

That being said, his "maybe the truth is in the middle" shtick is something you shrug your shoulder at in safer times, but everyone's become more politically interested and educated these past years. Now it just comes off as intellectual laziness.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Carlin's always been one of those dads who got way too into the History Channel, for better or for worse. He uses the line about not being a historian as a bit of a shield maybe, but I think it's also just him being honest about being an entertainer and not actually having much interest in keeping up with new scholarship or whatever. As for his contemporary politics, while he reflexively goes to both sides arguments, at least he was anti-Trump, which is probably better than you can say for most 55 year old history dads.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
It doesn't help when he when spends several years on an extremely well worn and drops the interesting lens (the Japanese perspective) a third of the way in

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

webmeister posted:

I the part where he talks about the imposing structure known as the puma’s head or in their language “sexay wo-man”

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
The biggest problem with Carlin is is output just isn’t very good. I listened to his mongol empire one and I didn’t feel like I learned much from it. Considering how long winded he is that’s really bad

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
Is there good stuff about the Mongols? Also the Taklamakan Civilizations (I liked the CHP's stuff on it)?

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Ghengis Khan by Frank McLynn is good and has a version on audible. It goes into depth about the formation of the mongols how they governed and even gives quick histories of some of the people they would go in to conquer.

It’s also pretty long but dense as gently caress

Baron La Croix
Nov 2, 2010

rastah farah
sonnah maddah fah
Any good podcasts covering Aum Shinrikyo?

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Baron La Croix posted:

May I recommend the aum shinrikyo episode of last podcast on the left.

It's not scholarly at all, and your gonna find out real quick whether or not you can stand henry, but it was hilarious.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

The Glumslinger posted:

It doesn't help when he when spends several years on an extremely well worn and drops the interesting lens (the Japanese perspective) a third of the way in

Yeah it's this, WW2 has been done to death but a retelling that focuses specifically on the war from the Japanese perspective is interesting. Everything up to Pearl Harbor in Supernova was interesting, but as soon as it happens Carlin shifts back to the same old and tired MURICA OOH RAH poo poo you've heard a billion times.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Baron La Croix posted:

Cult Podcast has a good set of episodes on them. Much like LPOTL, it really depends on whether the hosts' goofball sense of humor is your thing (though at least you don't get stuff like Zebrowski's problematic rear end Asian accent)