Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

KaptainKrunk posted:

c-spam tried to fight Number but Number won

long live Number

The struggle was finished. Cspam had finally won the war against itself. They loved Number

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dex_sda
Oct 11, 2012

how many breakers did this trip so far lol

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

Also goons remember you will have to pay capital gains on your robin hood tendies money

Somehow the irs doesn't have the resources to pursue like 90% of tax evasion but will audit your rear end over $400

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
Perfect thread title.

cumshitter
Sep 27, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Dolphin posted:

When your potential losses on margin exceed the value of your portfolio your creditor forces you to cash out and give them whatever number you're in the red, meaning at a certain number the shorts are forced to exit their positions and go under, regardless of whether they want to or not.

Basically "the market can stay stupid longer than you can stay liquid" but for hedge funds

This is my understanding but I'm an idiot

you cant take margin out against shorts or options. those are short term contracts, not assets

dex_sda
Oct 11, 2012

Homeless Friend posted:

i am going to cum at the cnbc clips we're going to get out of it closing at 100+ lol

same

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Justin Tyme posted:

Also goons remember you will have to pay capital gains on your robin hood tendies money

Somehow the irs doesn't have the resources to pursue like 90% of tax evasion but will audit your rear end over $400

Only if your portfolio makes money in a given year. :smug:

:smith:

Maximo Roboto
Feb 4, 2012

I get why hedge funds can be considered evil, as they are wealthy and play with complex financial instruments that could wreak immense havoc. But is the r/WSB line on short sellers being bad, accurate? Don't short sellers often point out fraud companies like Herbalife, Wirecard, Nikola? Hell Michael Burry spotted the housing crisis and he's also the one who's bullish on $GME and one of r/WSB's heroes lol

Being anti-short selling seems dumb when they're often the only one with a profit motive to point out corporate corruption. In GameStop's case it's more of short sellers making bad and stupid calls (or rather, puts).

cumshitter
Sep 27, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

dex_sda posted:

it's going up and down in increments of 10 now lol

i would read this as there being thinner buy/sell orders at the top

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

fanfic insert posted:

bloomberg lady saying stock dont go up forever :confuoot:

the titans of industry are being destroyed by reddit

Gods_Butthole
Aug 9, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!
Can someone explain what it is I'm looking at in this clip?

Is the table of numbers at the bottom the orders that are currently on the market and the graphs on either side show the price of orders on the X axis and the volume of orders on the Y axis? The center is where the buy and sell numbers are matched?

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Maximo Roboto posted:

I get why hedge funds can be considered evil, as they are wealthy and play with complex financial instruments that could wreak immense havoc. But is the r/WSB line on short sellers being bad, accurate? Don't short sellers often point out fraud companies like Herbalife, Wirecard, Nikola? Hell Michael Burry spotted the housing crisis and he's also the one who's bullish on $GME and one of r/WSB's heroes lol

Being anti-short selling seems dumb when they're often the only one with a profit motive to point out corporate corruption. In GameStop's case it's more of short sellers making bad and stupid calls (or rather, puts).

They're rich OP. Please stop being a liberal.

KaptainKrunk
Feb 6, 2006

Maximo Roboto posted:

it's more like shorts were purposefully trying to drive retail companies that MAY survive the pandemic into bankruptcy to pick up their assets at bargain bin prices

oxsnard
Oct 8, 2003

cumshitter posted:

you cant take margin out against shorts or options. those are short term contracts, not assets

didn't robinhood gently caress up last year and let people use the underlying value of calls for margin purposes?

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Justin Tyme posted:

Lmao if the next step is a tax strike.

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007
its the vulture nature they hate. its mitt romney

cumshitter
Sep 27, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

oxsnard posted:

didn't robinhood gently caress up last year and let people use the underlying value of calls for margin purposes?

they double counted the value of the stock backing the option you sold and the cash you received for selling it or something like that. a complete error

PawParole
Nov 16, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
just bought a 1 dollar put for 2023.

hedging ma bets

oxsnard
Oct 8, 2003

KaptainKrunk posted:

it's more like shorts were purposefully trying to drive retail companies that MAY survive the pandemic into bankruptcy to pick up their assets at bargain bin prices

nah the hedge funds doing this were just after the equity losses. None of them are Bain or whatever

Dolphin
Dec 5, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Dolphin posted:

When your potential losses on margin exceed the value of your portfolio your creditor forces you to cash out and give them whatever number you're in the red, meaning at a certain number the shorts are forced to exit their positions and go under, regardless of whether they want to or not.

Basically "the market can stay stupid longer than you can stay liquid" but for hedge funds

This is my understanding but I'm an idiot
I mention this because a large enough group of buyers can potentially just loot every leveraged short systematically. You could do the same thing for companies leveraged long by short selling.

Greataval
Mar 26, 2010

thomawesome posted:

when do i sell this i don't know what i am doing

At 1000$

wolfs
Jul 17, 2001

posted by squid gang

buy low sell high

just wait for bigger highs

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

dex_sda posted:

6 yesterday, 4 today so far

dex_sda
Oct 11, 2012

Maximo Roboto posted:

Short selling incentivizes destructive moves against something. For instance, Rees-Mogg the tory fucko in Britain was a staunch Brexit supporter. What he wasn't saying in his rhetoric was that he was owner of a hedge fund that essentially shorted the pound. His campaign succeeded and he made dozens of millions of dollars. It's far easier to destroy than to build, so bets on something getting destroyed are really hosed up.

also, trading options tends to destabilise the market, which has tremendous impact on regular people but can be weathered by hedge funds ordinarily.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Is bb and AMC halted

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Homeless Friend posted:

its the vulture nature they hate. its mitt romney

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

$1000 is only $100 from 0

human garbage bag
Jan 8, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

Justin Tyme posted:

That's why I play with my 401k money.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC

Gods_Butthole posted:

Can someone explain what it is I'm looking at in this clip?

Is the table of numbers at the bottom the orders that are currently on the market and the graphs on either side show the price of orders on the X axis and the volume of orders on the Y axis? The center is where the buy and sell numbers are matched?

This is correct yes.

meanolmrcloud
Apr 5, 2004

rock out with your stock out

bought amc because, well, fomo

Gods_Butthole
Aug 9, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

Empress Brosephine posted:

Is bb and AMC halted

Nah, just low volume right now I think

oxsnard
Oct 8, 2003

dex_sda posted:

Short selling incentivizes destructive moves against something. For instance, Rees-Mogg the tory fucko in Britain was a staunch Brexit supporter. What he wasn't saying in his rhetoric was that he was owner of a hedge fund that essentially shorted the pound. His campaign succeeded and he made dozens of millions of dollars. It's far easier to destroy than to build, so bets on something getting destroyed are really hosed up.

also, trading options tends to destabilise the market, which has tremendous impact on regular people but can be weathered by hedge funds ordinarily.

short selling equity also incentives fraud discovery so land of contrasts etc

KaptainKrunk
Feb 6, 2006

capitalism bad

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC

dex_sda posted:

Four. Three on the way up and one on the way down.

dex_sda
Oct 11, 2012

oxsnard posted:

short selling equity also incentives fraud discovery so land of contrasts etc

that's true but as with anything, the deck is stacked for the rich guys so they do far more bad than good

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
goons do I hold out for $160 or sell at $150 like my original plan

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord
It's pushing on $150

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Maximo Roboto posted:

Nikola is up 20% today lmao.

Gods_Butthole
Aug 9, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

OhFunny posted:

This is correct yes.

Thanks! ^^

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skewetoo
Mar 30, 2003

Capitalism sure has a lot to do with the real economy I interact with day to day!