Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

emptyquote my posts or die

tarlibone posted:

He goes into a little speech about what drove him mad, and it included stuff like the torture of being buried alive.

I mean, I like bad-faith hot takes and purposefully obtuse misinterpretations as much as the next guy, but seriously, that was your takeaway when Zøg talked about what drove him mad?

I don't know what speech you're referring to, but after this scene (https://youtu.be/kSmqi479LrQ) there's a shot where odval literally says something like: "aha, mission accomplished, seeing bean and Oona naked finally pushed him over the edge"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

it's in the mighty hands of steel
Fun Shoe

Polo-Rican posted:

I don't know what speech you're referring to, but after this scene (https://youtu.be/kSmqi479LrQ) there's a shot where odval literally says something like: "aha, mission accomplished, seeing bean and Oona naked finally pushed him over the edge"

Yeah, maybe keep watching.

Also, keep in mind that when that scene plays out, he's already insane and literally anything sends him into an episode like that. And I do mean anything. Even simple loud noises send him into a fit of honking and madness.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

twistedmentat posted:

I like how there is zero commentary by anyone on beans pansexuality, or whatever discribes her romantic choices.

Like everything they managed to write something as seeming inconsistent instead of like character development. A bunch of other episodes make a joke about bean being ultra promiscuous and sleeping with anyone and anything. Instead of being normal and just writing this as a development, some "I've slept with everyone, but I never felt this before" they had to do a weird way that went against every other episode's characterization where now bean was actually a virgin who was lying about ever having sex and was unclear what sex even was and had actually only kissed a lot of "people and animals".

Gildiss
Aug 24, 2010

Grimey Drawer

tarlibone posted:

Yeah, maybe keep watching.

Also, keep in mind that when that scene plays out, he's already insane and literally anything sends him into an episode like that. And I do mean anything. Even simple loud noises send him into a fit of honking and madness.

No, it is just another example of the definitively bad writing and plots in this show.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

The Zog insanity arc has parts that could have been touching, but it both lasts too long and the writers thought it just never stopped being hilarious to have him honking. And then the puppet thing, which was utterly pointless since you expected weird horror poo poo from Dragmire but uhhhhhh nope goes nowhere. And then Dragmire just randomly shows up during the ogre battle.

It is just so everywhere.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Pants Donkey posted:

The Zog insanity arc has parts that could have been touching, but it both lasts too long and the writers thought it just never stopped being hilarious to have him honking. And then the puppet thing, which was utterly pointless since you expected weird horror poo poo from Dragmire but uhhhhhh nope goes nowhere. And then Dragmire just randomly shows up during the ogre battle.

It is just so everywhere.

I like that there was enough scenes where dagmire showed up that didn't make sense that I think bean is dreaming or hallucinating her. Like her telling bean to see what's real and bean throwing a rock into a lake and seeing the reflection disappear. But everything is so muddled it feels equally possible there is no foreshadowing like that and they just do a bad job and make dagmire keep showing up places she shouldn't be for no reason since they do that with every other character too.

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

Like everything they managed to write something as seeming inconsistent instead of like character development. A bunch of other episodes make a joke about bean being ultra promiscuous and sleeping with anyone and anything. Instead of being normal and just writing this as a development, some "I've slept with everyone, but I never felt this before" they had to do a weird way that went against every other episode's characterization where now bean was actually a virgin who was lying about ever having sex and was unclear what sex even was and had actually only kissed a lot of "people and animals".

She doesn't claim to be a virgin, just never having dated anyone before.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Nichael posted:

She doesn't claim to be a virgin, just never having dated anyone before.

She murmurs out that she’s done lots of stuff, put stuff in things, moved around, etc, then admits she hasn’t done any of that and has only kissed people and animals

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

She murmurs out that she’s done lots of stuff, put stuff in things, moved around, etc, then admits she hasn’t done any of that and has only kissed people and animals

Oh, huh. None of this show makes sense.

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

I have to go now. My planet needs me.
Inconsistency in the characters and setting has always been the show's big issue. Like Futurama established the main rules for the setting, and the jokes flowed from Fry's clashing with them. It's like there's a gag where Odval states that he doesn't think the world is round....but he has a globe in his office? A globe that the characters interact with?

There's lots of little great parts in this machine, but they're still not all working together in harmony. They got closer this time, but its still not there.
Bean and Elfo feel more fleshed out this time, and the dynamic is finally there properly - the moments where the characters can show a little more vulnerability are the strongest.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

Nichael posted:

Oh, huh. None of this show makes sense.

It's sorta like there's two teams of writers.
One who just wants jokes and japes
One that wants continuing stories

And they have barely any crossover with each other. It's mad.

It reminds me of when you get a game that's been made by a bunch of different teams that don't interact so the parts KINDA go together all hosed up.

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

Watched episode 8 last night, which is a mixed bag!

• Having an entire episode about Merkimer feels strange at the end of season 8. I could barely remember anything about Merkimer's backstory besides "he got turned into a pig." I don't really remember Bentwood at all, but that makes sense because it apparently hasn't been shown since the beginning of s1e1!
• Somehow, Merkimer is one of the show's best characters. He has a handful of key personality traits that are consistent and his actions are driven by his own motivations; which is more than you can say about practically any other character in this show. He really works! He feels so much better as a character than Elfo or Luci, and it's interesting to notice when a character is written like an actual character, instead of an empty vessel that just sprints through whatever storyline points the writers thought up for that week's episode (for example: luci is a drill sergeant now, and they just have his character doing a bog-standard drill sergeant impression without utilizing any of the cool things about his character (why have the writers forgotten that he's an actual living demon from hell))

Polo-Rican fucked around with this message at 17:31 on Jan 26, 2021

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Polo-Rican posted:

Watched episode 8 last night, which is a mixed bag!

• Having an entire episode about Merkimer feels strange at the end of season 8. I could barely remember anything about Merkimer's backstory besides "he got turned into a pig." I don't really remember Bentwood at all, but that makes sense because it apparently hasn't been shown since the beginning of s1e1!

I'm gonna say that while I remembered Brentwood there are a lot of callbacks to other episodes I barely remember. A lot of shows if the character hasn't been around for like 3 seasons will give you a little flashback but this doesn't do it.
A guy turns up in the last episode and I don't remember him at all.

Precambrian
Apr 30, 2008

Eighties ZomCom posted:

I assume it was Dagmar who sold the puppet since she was the one who released Zogg from his cell in the first place. But was the puppet cursed or magical to begin with? It was implied when it talked while Zogg was asleep but that whole thing just didn't go anywhere like a lot of other threads. And somehow I don't think it will be covered in part 4.

My favorite joke this season was Bean taking one look at the puppet and immediately seeing it was obviously haunted, but... she's got other things to deal with right now, so just... have fun with the haunted doll, Dad!

And then the show immediately has Bean make the doll her top priority because of something about proving she's an actual leader. So... eh.

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
I tried watching Season 2 Part 1 / Part 3 / Season 3 or whatever by itself but was confused about a lot of the plot I didn't remember.

So I watched all 30 episodes again at once and that just made things worse once I realized there are 100 disconnected plot threads.

I could start asking all of the unanswered questions I have or pointing out the stuff that didn't make any sense but this post would be 10,000 words.

Trogs are obviously elves though.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord
Please please come back and list some of the dropped/ruined plots. There is so many and it's so hard to remember them all.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

The show has at least managed to develop one intriguing plot:

The mystery of why I will likely keep coming back to watch, season after season, despite obviously hating this show.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord
I think a big secret to this show's success is being a ten episode a year show. If this was a 26 episode show that ran weekly I absolutely would not have made it past season one without drifting off. But the seasons are just short enough and just infrequent enough that the show is just interesting enough I'll check back in.

Big mouth does the same thing, I watch every season then say "well, that wasn't very good, I don't really like this show", but then there is enough time before there is another episode that when it shows up on the netflix I say "what? they made another season? I didn't even know that was coming" and end up clicking on it. Then even watching a few episodes to see whats up, you are already half way through the season.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

True. That's how I made it through three seasons of Star Trek Discovery.

Eighties ZomCom
Sep 10, 2008

And how I watched Lost In Space.

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

Martytoof posted:

The show has at least managed to develop one intriguing plot:

The mystery of why I will likely keep coming back to watch, season after season, despite obviously hating this show.

I'm big into stupid fantasy, tolkien, D&D and other role playing games, etc; so even though the show is a mess, I enjoy seeing what the Matt Groening crew does with fantasy tropes.

Speaking of which, the Disenchantment universe is surprisingly conservative with fantasy tropes. It's is more Witcher or Game of Thrones-like than Tolkien: primarily humans, primarily castle intrigue, with touches of magic and fantasy creatures / races here and there. Compare how much time Futurama spends on robots, robot culture, and robot jokes vs how much time Disenchantment spends on Elves (or any fantasy race), for example

Polo-Rican fucked around with this message at 16:36 on Jan 27, 2021

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord
It's really a show that is easy to have mixed feelings about.

I don't feel like I am actively hate watching a show I dislike. I feel like I'm watching a not very good show that could be way better asking "did they make this good yet?" and by the time I figure out the answer is still "No" the season is over and it's a long long time before there is more episodes.

Like this show has enough going for it that if they did someday make episodes that were really legitimately good that wouldn't be so super impossible, they just continue to not.

BrotherJayne
Nov 28, 2019

The 3rd session just had... so much wasted space. Like, you could easily trim two episodes worth of bullshit, with no impact to the story at all. If they planned the whole thing in one run, why so much padding?

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

BrotherJayne posted:

The 3rd session just had... so much wasted space. Like, you could easily trim two episodes worth of bullshit, with no impact to the story at all. If they planned the whole thing in one run, why so much padding?

No man, it was super important that there was multiple episodes about them needing to raise an army then them raising an army then the entire army disbanding because they saw an elf hit his own butt then have the invading army be a single man on a chair that made green smoke because it cooked sausages then have a second unrelated plot where a different actual army attacks them that just appears out of no where. Also they can't go see what the green smoke is because it's too far away but they can go to an entirely different country to get flails.

BrotherJayne
Nov 28, 2019

like, gently caress, bruh. Have a couple of outriders go take a loving look and report back

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

BrotherJayne posted:

like, gently caress, bruh. Have a couple of outriders go take a loving look and report back

The forest is so close derek can roll right into it by accident by laying down but also so inaccessible that smoke in the forest is so mysterious no one can check what is making it until it's at the castle door.

(also why did derek marry sagatha but then every time they ever show him after that he's with the punk fairy and sagatha never shows up again? did the show forget who he married?)

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

(also why did derek marry sagatha but then every time they ever show him after that he's with the punk fairy and sagatha never shows up again? did the show forget who he married?)

Thank you for bringing this up, I had the exact same thought last night and felt like I was losing my mind. Can anyone explain this??? Did we both miss a scene where the grandma fairy has to go away or something?

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
They didn't get married.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Something interrupts the wedding, and for some reason that means the wedding is cancelled.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

PostNouveau posted:

Something interrupts the wedding, and for some reason that means the wedding is cancelled.

Wait, now I rewatched that scene, he stopped the wedding because he saw archduchess had the gun in a weird magician's harness on her arm.

Rewatching I think that scene was also supposed to show that odval never had actually done anything bad and it was all a misunderstanding? Because bean calls him out then is wrong. but like, we literally saw him talking about killing the king in other episodes. God the writing of this show makes me so angry.

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

twistedmentat posted:

They didn't get married.

PostNouveau posted:

isn't there a scene later on where they exchange rings and the weight of the ring makes her fall to the ground? and a scene later where he introduces her to Zog as his wife, and Zog is excited because "he always wanted tiny grandchildren" or something?

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Polo-Rican posted:

isn't there a scene later on where they exchange rings and the weight of the ring makes her fall to the ground? and a scene later where he introduces her to Zog as his wife, and Zog is excited because "he always wanted tiny grandchildren" or something?

I think these are both before the wedding.

Eighties ZomCom
Sep 10, 2008

Those both happen before the wedding gets interrupted yeah. After the interruption Sagatha has second thoughts about marrying him and says something to the effect that he should just see her as a sexy grandma or something.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord
why was edith pretending to be a head anyway? Was that ever explained? Bean didn't free her, she just saw elfo was in trouble and got out of the box herself then left.

Also god, at the end of that episode they free all the freaks then run to the ocean and get surrounded by lightbulb robots, which bean defeats in the last scene using a magic lightning burst. Then at the start of the episode they walk back to the freakshow to release one more freak, then walk BACK to the lightbulb robots, which come back to life (with a sort of funny joke: "oh no, they are getting ideas") then they run to a DIFFERENT dock and get on a boat. Like why in god's name couldn't you write that series of events in a less stupid order. Why is the primary writing style of the show to start something then leave then immediately go back and do it more.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

why was edith pretending to be a head anyway? Was that ever explained? Bean didn't free her, she just saw elfo was in trouble and got out of the box herself then left.

Also god, at the end of that episode they free all the freaks then run to the ocean and get surrounded by lightbulb robots, which bean defeats in the last scene using a magic lightning burst. Then at the start of the episode they walk back to the freakshow to release one more freak, then walk BACK to the lightbulb robots, which come back to life (with a sort of funny joke: "oh no, they are getting ideas") then they run to a DIFFERENT dock and get on a boat. Like why in god's name couldn't you write that series of events in a less stupid order. Why is the primary writing style of the show to start something then leave then immediately go back and do it more.

They fight the final lightbulb robot in a hall of mirrors, only to leave and...there's another load of them so what was the point.

Eighties ZomCom posted:

Those both happen before the wedding gets interrupted yeah. After the interruption Sagatha has second thoughts about marrying him and says something to the effect that he should just see her as a sexy grandma or something.

Oh right. I feel like i missed that. Also sagatha as a character full stop is pretty revolting and they can kinda gently caress off?

There's a lot of weird kinda old man humour in the show that betrays the age of the people writing it.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Taear posted:

They fight the final lightbulb robot in a hall of mirrors, only to leave and...there's another load of them so what was the point.

Even being in steamland at all is like that, where bean is in steamland, then leaves so she can go hang out in the trog tunnels for an episode and a half then she has to go BACK to steamland.

Like every single thing on this show has to happen like three times before it sticks. Every plot point has them doing something then leaving then running back to do one more thing then leaving again. Like oona leaves to be a pirate, then two episodes later she's back already hanging out in the castle, then she immediately leaves again to be a pirate again. Or like, petergast needing to save the king from the coffin then him having his head cut off, then a different plot where they discover his body and it's head is cut off, then a third plot where he's been shot, then it's a mystery who had the gun because it's hidden, but then who had the gun is the exact person that already could have had him beheaded anyway, and also now his head and body are back together and at the wedding so they can reveal his head is cut off another time. Jesus! just stop!

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

Just finished the last episode. If you were to watch just the first few episodes and the last, it might seem like there's some coherent plot... I like the concept of the trogs coming back to save the kingdom. But practically nothing else in the season matters - the arch druidess plot, the Steamland plot, Derek's plotline, the "gathering an army" plot, the green smoke, etc. And normally it's fine if plot stuff in a cartoon doesn't matter... most individual episodes of simpsons, futurama, etc, don't matter... But Disenchantment gives up so many opportunities for humor and character-building in order to chase these plotlines, so it's pretty insane that they don't tie into the rest of the show at all.

Tl:dr; the show trades humor and character development for story, but the story almost never works

Polo-Rican fucked around with this message at 02:33 on Jan 28, 2021

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord
I have a positive thing to say: when they released the freaks one was the pig mud monster (although how did it get back to dream land???) also the shape shifter cage is a different animal every scene and that is a funny joke

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

This show, man. I would not have believed you if you told me there was a Matt Groenig show that I just could not push myself to watch all the way through. :( I still enjoy the new Simpsons!

I tried to watch the new season and realized I have no idea what happened in the last one because it was so hard to pay attention to it. So now I'm watching the last ten episodes of S1 again and it is still so hard to pay attention to it. Is the new stuff any better? Worth just jumping in or should I just give up?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

Uh, it was an act? Like that kind of stuff was really common in the past before people had streaming shows to bitch about on the internet.