Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

AdmiralViscen posted:

Wow, that’s awesome! I wish they’d backport that into Sapienza

Eh, shooting the stalactite and getting from there to the plane isn't too hard even on SASO runs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy

Arist posted:

Eh, shooting the stalactite and getting from there to the plane isn't too hard even on SASO runs.
Shooting the virus directly is faster but it's boring as poo poo having to end every run the same way.

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.
I'm still not a big fan of the virus lab bit in Sapienza, but my problem was that I'd gotten into the habit of doing it first just to get it out of the way and that's not advised for a SA/SASO run on the highest difficulty. If you leave it till last without having been spotted by any of the cameras, you can quickly snipe the virus, take out the nearby camera, then sneak over to the plane pretty quickly as said.

EDIT: But also this. ^

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

Hot Rope Guy
The way they handled it in Chongqing is almost perfect, I'd just prefer it not to be so loving longwinded even if I am only ever doing it once. I appreciate that they tried to break up the monotony by giving you multiple choices on Whittleton, even if that didn't really work :v:

Edit: I'm having tons of fun with my current run on Mendoza - there's a glass you can poison where 47 either plays the poison pouring animation while facing the wrong way so he's pouring it on the floor or he stands in front of the glass and the animation lines up properly but then he gets stuck inside a chair and you have to restart. I've also discovered that if you save in the middle of certain actions, there's a decent chance it'll be hosed when you reload - I saved immediately after putting a body in a cupboard and then there was no prompt to wear the disguise upon reloading, I saved while a guard was picking up a dropped weapon or when someone was standing up after drinking poison and in both instances their AI was hosed and they just stood twitching on a reload lol

Pilchenstein fucked around with this message at 20:50 on Jan 26, 2021

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
I managed to get a poison kill on both targets in Mendoza simultaneously which felt very satisfying to watch finally go off. It took a lot of subtle timing delaying one of them to make sure they didn't react to the other being poisoned and stop.

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

I can’t thank you all enough for the encouragement and help getting into this series. It’s been maybe two weeks of some of the best gaming I’ve had in a long time. I had bounced off Hitman and Hitman 2 a number of times because it just felt “too puzzley” and I wasn’t getting it. Joke posts aside about the save games and linear time craziness, it’s just an incredibly fun and challenging game. I find it much more mentally stimulating than many other games, and as a dad nearing 40, this is a use of gaming time I find really satisfying. I’d actually liken it to the dark souls games, only in that it expects you as a player to get better and better at the mechanics until your progression improves because your actual level of mastery improves.

I’m liking Hitman 3 even more than I did 2 so far. In 2, it seemed they put all the clever environmental “story” ways to kill the targets inside the guided mission stories. There was a lot of them per level. I’ve only finished Dubai so far, but I really like how there’s at least three ways to kill the targets that are “story” ways, but are not straight given to you in a mission story. Instead of just being handed waypoints, you have to listen to NPCs, follow the targets around, and figure the way to kill them out all yourself. I figured out how to (will spoiler causes of death just in case) reunite that guy with his daughter, and fry him with the sun, and get the other target to die via exploding gold ball (this was satisfying as hell). I know you can activate some sort of emergency evacuation procedure and I presume, they all jump off the building using parachutes and you can snipe them as they fall? Or sabotage the chutes? This sounds too complex for me where I am right now. But maybe next time.

I do notice I’ve started to make some bad habits. Having the SA symbol on the HUD is a double-edged sword. It has helped me learn what constitutes silent vs blown cover, but it also triggers bad expectations and makes me play way too safe. Not killing anyone but the target gets boring, or save scumming because I got spotted.. it’s just not a great habit. I have since started to do playthroughs where I turn it off (so it doesn’t turn red) and just let anything and everything go.

On to Dartmoor! The whole PI Clue game sounds really exciting.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
Its good to be sneaky, and I try not to kill anybody but the target whenever I can. But you only get the big SA bonus once anyways, so I don't try for it every time.

Or sabotage the chutes?

:getin:

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up
Sometimes a cliff is just closer than a box...

Rev. Melchisedech Howler
Sep 5, 2006

You know. Leather.
Unless you're specifically aiming for the SA challenges, it's fun to roll with your mistakes in this and try and claw it back together when everything is going to poo poo. I only reload if things devolve into an all out gunfight.

Pyroi
Aug 17, 2013

gay elf noises
Look, sometimes you just want to do a stealthy murder run. Bust out the silenced guns and take out all of Colorado.

AdmiralViscen
Nov 2, 2011

Yo this game loving rules

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Can someone help me figure out how you get the targets on Dubai to parachute away? I managed to get up to the penthouse on an SASO run and thought, "hey, if I can sabotage the parachutes and activate the evacuation this'll be cake" but I pulled it off and they all just ran for the helipad. Do I need to take care of the pilot first? I was about to try that but I got spotted dragging the body to a dumpster and gave up.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

Arist posted:

Can someone help me figure out how you get the targets on Dubai to parachute away? I managed to get up to the penthouse on an SASO run and thought, "hey, if I can sabotage the parachutes and activate the evacuation this'll be cake" but I pulled it off and they all just ran for the helipad. Do I need to take care of the pilot first? I was about to try that but I got spotted dragging the body to a dumpster and gave up.

They run to the helicopter and the pilot tells them he's not ready for an evacuation today, so then they run back to the parachutes

It's confusing I know.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

They run to the helicopter and the pilot tells them he's not ready for an evacuation today, so then they run back to the parachutes

It's confusing I know.

lmao what

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I just reloaded that save and Grey loving tells you to run to the helipad! gently caress you, Luke! :argh:

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
I think that the pilot is not ready because he lost the helicopter key, you can pick it up off the floor on one of the external catwalks

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Here's the seemingly playstation exclusive escalation, is this on xbox?
I didn't see any on other levels

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
That's one of three Escalations that comes with the Deluxe version. You can't see this on an Xbox?

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

That's one of three Escalations that comes with the Deluxe version. You can't see this on an Xbox?

The top one

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
Oh, sorry. All I can say is that I have it on my Playstation.

Rev. Melchisedech Howler
Sep 5, 2006

You know. Leather.
It's not on PC. Not for me anyway. What dogshit that they're making some escalations platform specific.

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

elf help book posted:

FYI you can finish this (all levels) in like 5 minutes. A little disappointing but watching ragdoll bodies glitch out when you dump them over the side is very satisfying.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Arist posted:

Yeah I just killed the pilot

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

It's confusing I know.

lol what, that's easier. I made it hard on myself.

But I'm also wondering What happens if you pose as the pilot with the key?

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

elf help book posted:

This is not on PC at least.

Feels a little weak that there's no escalations if you don't have the premium version.
But it sounds like they are planning on patching in more escalations (and I guess elusive targets) later on so that's good news.

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

Hot Rope Guy
They said absolutely nothing about platform exclusive content, as far as I saw. Are we sure it's not another bug lol

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

That's why I'm asking if it's on Xbox, maybe it's just broken on pc lol

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Lmao I googled around and it seems to be missing from PC and Xbox and the leading theory is its a bug they're working on

The files exist on PC

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Well at least now we have a post-release content plan for those systems.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

I didn't even notice it at first but the deluxe edition advertisements say in small print that more escalations will come over the year, so yeah post-release content of SOME fashion is definitely confirmed at least.

If I had known that I may have bought it lmao.

Burginator
Sep 10, 2007

Two ALL BEEF patties,
Special Sauce?
Let Us Cheese.
I played through Hitman, Hitman 2, and Blood Money (I think, at least, memory is fuzzy) but I basically just did the story modes and never enjoyed more than that. Hitman 3 is the first time I'm actually having a blast just replaying the same levels over and over and figuring stuff out, this is a much better purchase than I expected!

Best kill yet has to be Making Carl Ingram kill himself with an exploding golf ball but I've played through every non-train level about a half a dozen times now

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum
Working on speedruns now. Have Berlin and Chongqing down in the 2:30 range, a 1:20 on Dartmoor, and 0:20 on Dubai but that doesn't count because Dubai is very silly and I set that trying to replicate a speedrun I saw, the rest are my own work. Need to think about how to do Mendoza quickly now but it's the map I've played the least so far.

I could easily shave a minute off Chongqing if I could figure out a good way to lay a trap for Royce, but despite the ground outside being inundated with rain it's not conductive for a taser kill and going for the propane tank in Hush's area takes too long.

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

My strategy of playing a map is to play the story kills, then complete all the unique assassinations, while completing as many of the feats and other challenges I can along the way. By the time I've completed all the kills, I'm really familiar with the map. Lastly, I do a SASO run. I just did the SASO run in Dartmoor and it was stupidly easy.

Climbed pipes and rails to get to Alexa's office, took out the guards and got the case file. Waited for her to come to the office and go into the private room. Distract her bodyguard, subdue and dump. Wait for Alexa to come out, garrotte her on her way out of the private room. Dump and leave. Easy peasy. And yes I started Berlin :v:

bradzilla fucked around with this message at 03:16 on Jan 27, 2021

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Finished MENDOZAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!! :argh: Cool map, killed Vidal with the grape crusher mission story as Corvo and then did the sommelier mission story for Yates, the resolution of which feels pretty dramatic and as close to "canon" as possible... or at least, it would, if you didn't have to kill those two guards that come in with Vidal, ruining my SA. I noticed that there's a challenge for killing both targets by proxy, and I got the Yates half of it even though I was definitely the one who dealt the finishing blow. I can only assume that if you let Vidal live until that point Yates has her killed? And that's how you get the other half of that one? Whatever.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Arist posted:

Finished MENDOZAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!! :argh: Cool map, killed Vidal with the grape crusher mission story as Corvo and then did the sommelier mission story for Yates, the resolution of which feels pretty dramatic and as close to "canon" as possible... or at least, it would, if you didn't have to kill those two guards that come in with Vidal, ruining my SA. I noticed that there's a challenge for killing both targets by proxy, and I got the Yates half of it even though I was definitely the one who dealt the finishing blow. I can only assume that if you let Vidal live until that point Yates has her killed? And that's how you get the other half of that one? Whatever.

Yes, although one of the other stories also has you call in a sniper hit on her which I think counts also. And I think the idea is Diana's stabbing would be fatal, 47 is just speeding things up by pulling the knife out so he bleeds out faster.

bradzilla posted:

My strategy of playing a map is to play the story kills, then complete all the unique assassinations, while completing as many of the feats and other challenges I can along the way. By the time I've completed all the kills, I'm really familiar with the map. Lastly, I do a SASO run. I just did the SASO run in Dartmoor and it was stupidly easy.

Climbed pipes and rails to get to Alexa's office, took out the guards and got the case file. Waited for her to come to the office and go into the private room. Distract her bodyguard, subdue and dump. Wait for Alexa to come out, garrotte her on her way out of the private room. Dump and leave. Easy peasy. And yes I started Berlin :v:

You can actually do SASO and Sniper all at once. Climb up to roof w/ rifle, clock the guard that stands in her office when she's not there and hide him, grab file. Then snipe the bird nests to trigger the undertaker showing her the gravesite, you get a clean shot at her standing over the open grave with no-one looking, and the sniper shot hides the body in the hole. Climb down, run for bridge.

Gaz-L fucked around with this message at 03:32 on Jan 27, 2021

Guilty
May 3, 2003
Ask me about how people having a bad reaction to MSG makes them racist, because I've never heard of gluten sensitivity
So I'm loving this game so far, decided to shell out for 1 and 2. Played through Paris, then read a tip that you get some insane sniper rifle from Chongqing. Fast forward 6 hours later and my eyes are bleeding and I've got a sick rear end new sniper rifle. This game owns so hard.

Edit: my point i forgot to mention is that I guess I'll be playing this game forever. It seems really daunting all the stuff you can do

Guilty fucked around with this message at 04:04 on Jan 27, 2021

Your Brain on Hugs
Aug 20, 2006
So with the Mendoza kill where you have to poison the wine for the toast, how do you do it? as far as I can tell you can only serve it as the somallier, but you can't poison the glass without suspicion and you can't poison the bottle at all.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Just did the Matter Of Guilt feat for Dartmoor and Jesus... is that the first time in the series the target kills themselves? And not in the 'lol ironic' way like hitting a trick golfball, but just straight up commits suicide by choice? Even the dialogue for 47 revealing himself is different in that path and it's messed up.

Dr_0ctag0n
Apr 25, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 4 days!

Your Brain on Hugs posted:

So with the Mendoza kill where you have to poison the wine for the toast, how do you do it? as far as I can tell you can only serve it as the somallier, but you can't poison the glass without suspicion and you can't poison the bottle at all.

You need to sneak in there before the meeting

Chemtrailologist
Jul 8, 2007
So should I buy this now, wait for a sale, or never?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum
Here's a somewhat silly run of Berlin.

I also figured out the Mendoza SASO in a reasonable time.