Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

My partner has, in just the last two months, spilled the following all over her desk:

2x small cups of water
1x large cup of water
1x mug of tea
1x bottle of beer
1x half eaten bowl of rice and stirfry

Some people are just enormous clutzes. I tried getting her one of those "can't be knocked over" cups but she just glared at me.
Anyhow that's why her PC itself lives on a separate small table a few feet away against a wall and the monitors are on arms or a small shelf.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

NVIDIA dropped a new driver today, and it fixed the black flashing in Zoom for me on my 3090.

bus hustler
Mar 14, 2019

Ha Ha Ha... YES!
if the computer is on the desk i dont really get it, if its on the floor yeah. my cat jumps up and sits on the power button turning it off, and ive definitely put drinks on the end of the desk that could fall over...

edit: lol the newegg raffle rejections actually say "you almost got it!!"

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Subjunctive posted:

NVIDIA dropped a new driver today, and it fixed the black flashing in Zoom for me on my 3090.

I've been getting the black flashes as well, so this is good to hear.

Hopefully it fixes the "monochrome webcam picture as soon as more than three people are present in the chat" issue with Microsoft Teams/Skype as well, another annoying bug the past two Nvidia drivers have been plagued by.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Subjunctive posted:

I wonder if this will fix the flickering on random textures that I was getting in WoW? I'd have to log in to find out so who knows!

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Subjunctive posted:

This fixed the black flickering I was getting in Chrome when a game was minimized, hallelujah!

Albinator
Mar 31, 2010

Withnail posted:

Top Ramen. If you are going to kill electronics do it with the cheapest food possible. I could still smell it when I was swabbing the gpu with alcohol.

I giving him my pc and building a new one, but now I'm short a gpu and get to f5 along with everyone else.

I also built a (hopefully) spill proof desk for him.

Think I made my basement workbench with those legs. Nice looking wood, did you reclaim it from something?

Hasturtium
May 19, 2020

And that year, for his birthday, he got six pink ping pong balls in a little pink backpack.
So here's a GPU-aligned question. I'm running a Ryzen 3600 with a Gigabyte Eagle RTX 3070, and thought my power supply was alright - a Seasonic 620W Bronze PSU. It's been stable and fine so far. But on the off chance my suspicion is correct that it isn't quite great - especially if I slap a 5900x into it down the road - what would be an ideal PSU for this config? Other specs are pretty pedestrian - 4 8GB sticks of DDR4-3000, 6TB HDD, 1 gig NVMe, Blu-ray drive.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

Hasturtium posted:

So here's a GPU-aligned question.

Your PSU is fine.

A 3070 uses ~220W, a 5900X maxes out with PBO overclocking at 142W, maybe 50W for the motherboard and 50W for everything else, being quite generous. That's still under 450W.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

DrDork posted:

Your PSU is fine.

A 3070 uses ~220W, a 5900X maxes out with PBO overclocking at 142W, maybe 50W for the motherboard and 50W for everything else, being quite generous. That's still under 450W.

This makes me feel better about my 700w PSU. I have a friend at work also looking for the 3080 who won't stop telling me about how I'll be cutting it close if I upgraded and I was reasonably sure he's full of poo poo. I think he's just trying to stop me from getting one so he can get it instead :tinfoil:

Withnail
Feb 11, 2004

Albinator posted:

Think I made my basement workbench with those legs. Nice looking wood, did you reclaim it from something?

Just birch plywood.

I have three newegg loser emails now. I think they are just trolling me because I stopped shopping there a few years ago.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Subjunctive posted:

Turned my frame cap off as per usual so remember to recheck those settings in the control panel after install folks!

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

I got the chance to buy a Nitro+ 6900 XT from Newegg but I'm not sure if I should actually do it

I'd have to get a different case to hold the thing though because virtually all of the new cards are terrible for most mITX cases. If I did buy it, I'd sell my 1080ti which as far as I know is currently selling for way more than it should be

triple sulk fucked around with this message at 01:05 on Jan 27, 2021

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
Not that it really changes the outcome of my GPU purchase, but RTX-High in Control is kind of a personal letdown for me. I can spot the difference of RTX on/off, but in a way I can’t put into words, I can’t bring myself to care about it. Game still looks completely amazing without it on. I’d love to try out Minecraft RTX, but it looks like I’d have to buy a high priced, worse version of Minecraft because the Java edition I bought in 2009 doesn’t allow me to play this other version.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

RIP The Lost Otakus.

buglord posted:

Not that it really changes the outcome of my GPU purchase, but RTX-High in Control is kind of a personal letdown for me. I can spot the difference of RTX on/off, but in a way I can’t put into words, I can’t bring myself to care about it. Game still looks completely amazing without it on. I’d love to try out Minecraft RTX, but it looks like I’d have to buy a high priced, worse version of Minecraft because the Java edition I bought in 2009 doesn’t allow me to play this other version.

There are tons of shaders for Java Minecraft that approximate the look or do it better

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy

bus hustler posted:

if the computer is on the desk i dont really get it, if its on the floor yeah. my cat jumps up and sits on the power button turning it off, and ive definitely put drinks on the end of the desk that could fall over...

edit: lol the newegg raffle rejections actually say "you almost got it!!"

you almost got the chance to purchase a scalping-priced card with a useless bundled item that you aren't allowed to return or exchange!! also no returns period for any item!!

when did newegg become such poo poo? the marketplace is worse than aliexpress.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

change my name posted:

There are tons of shaders for Java Minecraft that approximate the look or do it better

Any recommendations? I looked up one called SEUS that people were raving about and the creator charged a $10/month subscription fee.

sauer kraut
Oct 2, 2004

fknlo posted:

I wonder if this will fix the flickering on random textures that I was getting in WoW? I'd have to log in to find out so who knows!

This is a DX12 only thing as far as I read.

change my name posted:

This fixed the black flickering I was getting in Chrome when a game was minimized, hallelujah!

Yeah, Nvidia had a very rough few driver months there :smith:
But I still have more confidence in them to put things right within a reasonable timeframe than AMD.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Fallom posted:

Any recommendations? I looked up one called SEUS that people were raving about and the creator charged a $10/month subscription fee.

https://www.pcgamesn.com/minecraft/minecraft-shaders-best-graphics-mods

Hasturtium
May 19, 2020

And that year, for his birthday, he got six pink ping pong balls in a little pink backpack.

DrDork posted:

Your PSU is fine.

Thanks, goon! I guess I listened to too many overclockers.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Hasturtium posted:

Thanks, goon! I guess I listened to too many overclockers.

People have been saying for years to only use half of your PSU capacity. On something like a seasonic that’s bullshit.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

hobbesmaster posted:

People have been saying for years to only use half of your PSU capacity. On something like a seasonic that’s bullshit.

My favorite are the people arguing that you should buy a double-sized PSU at +$100 or more so that you can run it at ~50% and hit that peak efficiency because if you run it at load like that 24/7 for a few years eventually it'll end up saving you money!

Like, bro...

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
I mean, seems like a pretty reasonable argument depending on your energy cost. With semi-passive PSUs it also means the fan will stay off more often.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Fame Douglas posted:

I mean, seems like a pretty reasonable argument depending on your energy cost. With semi-passive PSUs it also means the fan will stay off more often.

The difference is a couple watts

Bloopsy
Jun 1, 2006

you have been visited by the Tasty Garlic Bread. you will be blessed by having good Garlic Bread in your life time, but only if you comment "ty garlic bread" in the thread below

buglord posted:

Not that it really changes the outcome of my GPU purchase, but RTX-High in Control is kind of a personal letdown for me. I can spot the difference of RTX on/off, but in a way I can’t put into words, I can’t bring myself to care about it. Game still looks completely amazing without it on.

I was just playing this a few minutes ago having not played it since Cyberpunk came out and I think that game spoiled RT for me because Control doesn't look as good with it on high as I remembered it. Still a great looking game, thoug but I get what you are saying.

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

hobbesmaster posted:

The difference is a couple watts

The biggest issue I see is that, most of the time, your system isn't going to run at peak wattage but at idle.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Fame Douglas posted:

The biggest issue I see is that, most of the time, your system isn't going to run at peak wattage but at idle.

What’s 86%ish of 0.

This is the curve you’re looking at on a good PSU. 50% is 90% efficiency, 100% is like 86%.
https://seasonic.com/pub/media/wysiwyg/feature-pics/Gold.png

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Considering a higher wattage PSU usually isn't all that much more, that would amortize pretty quickly (maybe 1-2 years) in many countries if you were to run it 24/7 at peak utilization. But that doesn't seem realistic. I guess it's not a reasonable argument.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

Fame Douglas posted:

Considering a higher wattage PSU usually isn't all that much more, that would amortize pretty quickly (maybe 1-2 years) in many countries if you were to run it 24/7 at peak utilization. But that doesn't seem realistic. I guess it's not a reasonable argument.

Yeah, it's not. For argument's sake, if you've got 500W of actual load, a 650W Seasonic is about $100. If you want to ride the max efficiency curve, you need a 1000W PSU, which is ~$250. US average electricity cost is 13c/kWh. Even if you double that for living in a high-cost area, if you ran that system at the 500W load (gaming?) for 8hrs/day, 7 days/wk, a 3% efficiency difference (which is what most 80 Plus rated PSUs will give you between 50% load and 100% load), you're saving 840W/wk, or $0.22. That's $11/yr, so it'd take 13 years to break even on the cost.

If you run it at that same 500W load 24/7/365, you save $34/yr, so it'd still take 5 years to pay off. Might be good for buttcoin farming, but as a Normal Person you will never pay back that initial premium.

Now if you want to pay $150 so the fan kicks on less / never? That's a totally reasonable thing if you're searching for silence. But the 50%/100% efficiency thing is just silly unless the cost for the larger unit is trivial.

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

Fuck the cowboys. Unf. Fuck em hard.
https://news.mydrivers.com/1/736/736968.htm
MyDrivers claim that due to an increase in GDDR prices the 30xx series will increase in price some time in February

Mokkan
May 15, 2010
The Great Twist

Fauxtool posted:

The packing is so all in edgy and over the top i love it. Except the "red devil" all the text is black on black. The included keycaps are metal and actually sharp.

Thanks Fauxtool! This thing rules

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

Malloc Voidstar posted:

MyDrivers claim that due to an increase in GDDR prices the 30xx series will increase in price some time in February

Gonna be hilarious if it turns out that AMD shoving so much VRAM onto their cards means they end up losing the price advantage they were trying to use as an edge over Ampere.

I mean in the end it won't matter because people are already often paying +50% thanks to scalpers. Clearly we've yet to hit the price limit for these things.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Mokkan posted:

Thanks Fauxtool! This thing rules

wow nice! im totally looking for one for myself after seeing yours. Those keycaps are just too much

runaway dog
Dec 11, 2005

I rarely go into the field, motherfucker.
So with precision x1, when I run the OC scanner, am I supposed to plug the gpu/mem oc numbers from the 2 boxes into the memory/gpu clock sliders up top? I ran the scanner then saved the preset but when I load it again it doesn't seem to do anything.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Malloc Voidstar posted:

what are the odds that this causes the 3060 non-Ti to become more expensive than the Ti

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
I’m frankly amazed that NVIDIA has been holding the line on MSRP despite the tariffs and despite basically every component they put into the cards increasing.

I’ve been waiting and waiting for that shoe to drop for weeks and so far it still hasn’t, everyone but NVIDIA has cranked prices. I rushed to grab a 3080 FE a few weeks ago figuring increases were imminent and so far nothing. Maybe they’re just taking it on the chin in margin rather than deal with the collective outcry over MSRP increases, obviously being the company who designs the chips gives them a fair amount of flexibility on margins.

3060 not having a FE means that prices are free to float to whatever though. It probably will end up just a bit cheaper than 3060 Ti MSRP or maybe even a little above.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
I'd also imagine seeing as the 3060Ti is evidently a mining darling, the 12GB 3060 will be similarly desirable even given the 192-bit bus. Of course, they're buying *everything* right now, so...

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

EngineerJoe posted:

How does one spill soup on their pc?

When my mom bought our first windows pc in the late 90's, she put a small potted plant on top of the case without a drainage plate and watered it.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

BIG HEADLINE posted:

I'd also imagine seeing as the 3060Ti is evidently a mining darling, the 12GB 3060 will be similarly desirable even given the 192-bit bus. Of course, they're buying *everything* right now, so...

at least the 4 GB on the 3050 is going to make it less appealing for Ethereum

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

(last page's chat)

I had a RTX 2060 and it was OK for 2560x1600 60Hz. But not for more. I bought a RTX 3080 for 2560x1440 165fps gaming and it has been good enough. Definitely for high hz gaming I recommend at least a 3080.

hobbesmaster posted:

I do that. 3080+8700K is around 500W. I have a 1000W HX1000i from Corsair, because that way the PSU runs cool and quiet. When stressing out a PSU too much the psu fan starts to make too much noise for my taste. Quiet PSU is one benefit from oversizing.

Fan curve looks like this:

And I avoid the zone where the fan ramps up under load.

Ihmemies fucked around with this message at 09:24 on Jan 27, 2021