Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day
just unlocked red cubes, I'm getting strong factorio fatigue rn (being overwhelmed knowing you've got to EXPAND everything). the game is beautiful though, the more I look around the more I'm very impressed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

I really really need to start utilizing the splitter priority thing, I always forget it's there.

Monowhatever
Mar 19, 2010

LifeSunDeath posted:

just unlocked red cubes, I'm getting strong factorio fatigue rn (being overwhelmed knowing you've got to EXPAND everything). the game is beautiful though, the more I look around the more I'm very impressed.

I have this same problem right now. I'm slowly tearing down my first planet's spaghetti mess and switching over to a full logistics production. It has me playing in 30 minute sprints slapping poo poo down. Followed by hours of planning and rethinking before jumping back in.

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010

Rynoto posted:

Splitter priorities are one of the best design decisions in the game and it makes me wish satisfactory had them as well.

I think there are smart splitters later in the tech tree for Satisfactory after research, but I think there's some drawbacks to them. I never hosed around with them enough to find out.

I have made myself an entire mall for basic buildings and by the time I started looking at making a mall for the Oil extractor/refinieres/chemical plants et al, I had literally finished everything I could possibly research with blue/red blocks. So I setup organic crystals to a box really fast and made for the third planet in my home system, the only one with Titanium nodes. I assume I'm going to have to ferry this poo poo back at some point, should I aim for at least 5-8 stacks for science to unlock interplanetary nodes, I guess?

I don't even have graphene setup and I keep losing time to fiddling around with poo poo rather than making it just work™ so I can research more cool poo poo. :v:

A GIANT PARSNIP
Apr 13, 2010

Too much fuckin' eggnog

My entire system is based on the philosophy of Just Let It Ride and I have not regretted that for a second.

Shartweek
Feb 15, 2003

D O E S N O T E X I S T
Built 10 orbit collectors around my gas giant, the logistics vessels are picking up the hydrogen but not the deuterium, which is really why I set them up. I have a dedicated interstellar logistics station set to just deuterium local supply/remote demand and a dedicated hydrogen interstellar logistics station set to the same, which is working. The orbit collectors are all set to local storage/remote supply and hydrogen gets picked up just fine. Any idea what gives? I also have a planetary logistics station demanding deuterium but the logistics vessels just won't pick it up.

Orbit collector:

Hydrogen logistics station:

Deuterium logistics station:

They all have power, vessels and drones. No idea why the deuterium isn't coming in.

Edit: I think it may be because there has to be enough available to fill a logistics vessel, will see in about 10 minutes.

Edit2: yep that was it, just needed to wait.

Shartweek fucked around with this message at 02:37 on Jan 27, 2021

Athanatos
Jun 7, 2006

Est. 2000
For anyone on the fence: this is right down the middle of Satisfactory and Factorio. The opening line of the OP is dead on.

It's brilliant fun and looks great. Everything works as it should from those games. It does have the same slow-ish start of those, but once you get going...holy hell.

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN

Coolnezzz posted:

Built 10 orbit collectors around my gas giant, the logistics vessels are picking up the hydrogen but not the deuterium, which is really why I set them up. I have a dedicated interstellar logistics station set to just deuterium local supply/remote demand and a dedicated hydrogen interstellar logistics station set to the same, which is working. The orbit collectors are all set to local storage/remote supply and hydrogen gets picked up just fine. Any idea what gives? I also have a planetary logistics station demanding deuterium but the logistics vessels just won't pick it up.

Orbit collector:

Hydrogen logistics station:

Deuterium logistics station:

They all have power, vessels and drones. No idea why the deuterium isn't coming in.

Edit: I think it may be because there has to be enough available to fill a logistics vessel, will see in about 10 minutes.

Edit2: yep that was it, just needed to wait.

Whatever the bottom resource is, in this case Deuterium, not only collects slowly but is also slowly burned to keep the gas collectors flying.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
I kind of intentionally produce my science matrices in separate spots and ship them all to a “research tower” mainly to see the cool colored glowing lines at night.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
i just build everything randomly everywhere and its one big disorganized mess and i am terrified that if i don't play for a day ill come back to the game not having any idea what the gently caress

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Rynoto posted:

Splitter priorities are one of the best design decisions in the game and it makes me wish satisfactory had them as well.

it does, you unlock smart splitters w caterium research in the mam and its basically identical with a couple of extra options for edge case stuff, with programmable splitters later allowing multiple filters per output.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Oh god damnit I am in a death spiral because I ran out of all my fuel sources for my generators and I can't get enough power to even run the sorters to get whatever fuel I can find into the generators. I definitely should have kept solar/wind stuff around just in case. I think I can maybe crawl out of this hole by making a poo poo ton of solar panels with the resources I have.

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

I did the same thing and had to emergency re-assemble the wind farm.

Athanatos
Jun 7, 2006

Est. 2000

Philthy posted:

i just build everything randomly everywhere and its one big disorganized mess and i am terrified that if i don't play for a day ill come back to the game not having any idea what the gently caress

I'm the opposite, I go to add in a new building and go "Well gently caress, I could probably make this entire chain better" and delete everything and rework it.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Athanatos posted:

I'm the opposite, I go to add in a new building and go "Well gently caress, I could probably make this entire chain better" and delete everything and rework it.

it is a constant struggle for me to not click New Game because of this

Paracausal
Sep 5, 2011

Oh yeah, baby. Frame your suffering as a masterpiece. Only one problem - no one's watching. It's boring, buddy, boring as death.

Ciaphas posted:

it is a constant struggle for me to not click New Game because of this

I think I'm onto 4 days in a row of new game, I really like the build up to yellow bricks and think I'm going to go max resources so they don't run out cause I'm a coward

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Athanatos posted:

I'd be more inclined to do that if I had a deconstruction planner. Currently deleting stuff is a little tedious to want to do it all the time

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:

Rynoto posted:

Yeah the way the game deals with building on a sphere is by offsetting the grid when you get closer to the poles. If you want to avoid this just stay on the equator.

this is an unavoidable problem in general with 3d spheres because of how geometry works, and it has a funny name: the "hairy ball" theorem e: this may not be exactly the thing going on but it's at least the same general idea (doing things involving shapes covering the surface of a sphere gets fucky in at least two spots because of how spheres do)

this game looks real cool and i look forward to playing it when my cpu isn't 11 years old

President Ark fucked around with this message at 04:55 on Jan 27, 2021

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler
Apparently, the starter system can generate with all 3 planets as satellites of the gas giant. Seed 272. Gobi and Arid worlds.

I'm keeping my main save, but I've gotten slightly bored and am not sure whether I want to start a new one on this seed, or on a different one I found, 207, with ashen and ice worlds, both of which have a rare resource.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

Athanatos posted:

I did this a few times and I find that i get more joy out of making a mess actually work than organizing it, it feels more like a puzzle that way i guess

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Boogalo posted:

I did the same thing and had to emergency re-assemble the wind farm.

Thanks! This got me to claw out enough to get a new coal mine going and flooded my generators with coal which brought everything back online.

Jossar
Apr 2, 2018

Current status: Angry about subs :argh:
T5 Science is automated and finally made it to the point where my robot isn't manually flinging stuff at the sun to build the Dyson Sphere, albeit really inefficiently for both. I'm at kind of an impasse where I know that things could be made much faster at this point by ramping up production for both, but the some of my mining nodes are starting to run out of resources and spaghettification is making me a bit nervous. I'm gonna try and see how much I can untangle them, but it's staring to look like I might have to start paying major attention to my 2nd planet again. A bajillion space warps and I still haven't even touched the last planet in my system yet...

Only just managed to dig myself out of the energy hole by building like 10 fusion plants, but the patch's increase in deuterium makes it really easy to produce (fuel cells slightly less so due to spaghettification, but it takes a long while for them to be consumed anyway).

Jossar fucked around with this message at 07:26 on Jan 27, 2021

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Deadmeat5150 posted:

And now my bottleneck is Deuterium. I need SO MUCH to make strange matter so I can make Lenses so I can make warpers.

If you're at that point I think it is better to go further and make gravity matrices instead, because you can break them back down into eight warpers a piece, for the cost of one lens.

Phssthpok
Nov 7, 2004

fingers like strings of walnuts
Deuterium centrifuge

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Hell yeah, the oil loop really feels like it is designed for building on the poles.

Xerophyte
Mar 17, 2008

This space intentionally left blank

OwlFancier posted:

If you're at that point I think it is better to go further and make gravity matrices instead, because you can break them back down into eight warpers a piece, for the cost of one lens.

Yeah, the "advanced" recipe is a lot more resource-efficient in general, assuming you have green science production. I was feeling smug having 50k deuterium stored in a ridiculous tank tower as I went into green science, but a few particle accelerators chewed through my stockpile almost as quickly as they did my power supply.

Power feels like quite a thing here, compared to Factorio. I can just barely maintain 1 science/second of all types by running about 200 MW on the main planet and 100 MW on my second planet, but right now if I want to build something else -- like, say, more power -- I have to turn science off or the entire grid crashes. In hindsight I'm mildly regretting not visiting the local desert planet with 150% wind power and covering it in turbines and solar panels, then having it charge accumulators for me. :v:

Anyhow, I did the dumb thing and made Tediously Ratio-Correct builds for some products. Mostly things I had to assemble significantly more of mid-late game than my initial little main bus offshoots were designed to handle. Pictures in case they help anyone:
Processors

Circuit Boards - Microcrystalline Components - Processors are in a 1/4/3 ratio. Outer belts are copper, silicon and iron, inner belts are circuit boards and processor output. Component assemblers feed directly to the processor assemblers. Tiles if you build it where the grid is sparse enough to fit power poles between the assemblers.

Electromagnetic Turbines

Electromagnetic Turbines - Electric Motors - Magnetic Coils - Gears are in a 1/2/1/1 ratio. Top belt is iron for the gears and motors, middle belts are motors and coils, bottom belts are copper, magnets and the turbine output. Should likewise tile, if you double it then the gear assemblers can be a solid row and alternate feeding motors up and down.

Exact ratios are still a trap and should be avoided, but they're a fun trap.
[E:] I should use the actual names of things, it's less confusing.

Xerophyte fucked around with this message at 10:31 on Jan 27, 2021

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I kinda have the opposite feeling honestly, power is trivial, it's resource throughput I'm finding difficult because it's hard to know how much of everything you need. I haven't ever run out of power since I built the really basic solar panel factory on the silicon planet. If the game had any actual huge megastructures that really needed like a gigawatt of power each or something I would like it better because I don't get what I'm building the dyson sphere for.

Also getting electricity out of the dyson sphere seems... weird because it's just overcomplicated solar panels? I gather the dirac inversion tech will let you use it to make antimatter which I assume is much more powerful but I seem like I would have to carpet the planet in ray receivers anyway so why not just use solar panels? They don't have the interruption problem so they can go anywhere whereas receivers are crap anywhere but the poles, and they only output 12.5MW each??

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
Got this yesterday and put a couple of hours in. I was spoiled on Factorio, so I never experienced the glory of spaghetti belts. Couple of questions:

- Are there limited planets or is it like Factorio where you can keep on expanding the map forever?
- So far the number of inputs required are way lower than in Factorio, I guess because putting several miners on a patch is harder. It's weird, but I'm running blue science and tier 2 production from just two miners on stone/copper/iron. Not really a question, I guess, except I'd like to know whether this is normal or whether I should link mines from all over the planet.
- Where can I see the amount of energy produced/consumed?

Xerophyte
Mar 17, 2008

This space intentionally left blank
Yeah, I think going either hard into wind + solar or even hard into hydrogen + fusion would've served me better numerically. Beaming power from my sphere-in-progress is cooler, though.

I think the fuel efficiency of a solar sail at my current tech is somewhere around 70ish MJ/sail, including transmission efficiency but not including the energy cost to build, transport and fire the thing. It's fun to do a bit more factory building, but just covering spare parts of your planet in passive power buildings sure is easier.

E:

Fat Samurai posted:

- Are there limited planets or is it like Factorio where you can keep on expanding the map forever?
- So far the number of inputs required are way lower than in Factorio, I guess because putting several miners on a patch is harder. It's weird, but I'm running blue science and tier 2 production from just two miners on stone/copper/iron. Not really a question, I guess, except I'd like to know whether this is normal or whether I should link mines from all over the planet.

- You selected a solar system count when you started a new game. Default is 64, which is also the maximum. Each system has a couple of planets. It's not actually endless, but tapping all 200-ish planets or whatever that amounts to is a lot. I'm still on 2 of them after 30 hours, plus some gas giant mining.
- It'll scale up, but scaling up your basic resources to feed your base is not as much of an element as it is in Factorio. Still, I've got maybe 10-15 resource patches with 6-8 miners on them, many of them idle at any given point. Since the patch/build area ratio is so high I usually just hook new production up to some unused nearby ore patch directly, rather than ship all the raw resources home for processing like I'd do in Factorio. I have an iron and stone patch tapped exclusively to make foundations (=landfill), for instance. Stats screen claims my iron ore and titanium ore rates are usually around 2000 ore/minute, and they're the top two.
- Press 'P', select Power for a history graph. Click on a power pole/tesla coil for current power usage. If you want a breakdown of what machines are using and producing then I don't think there is one.

Xerophyte fucked around with this message at 11:09 on Jan 27, 2021

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Just a funny av. Not a redtext or an own ok.

Fat Samurai posted:

There's a statistics screen which shows production/consumption of all resources including energy, and also if you click on any element of the energy network (poles and production buildings), you'll get stats for that network.

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

Fat Samurai posted:

Got this yesterday and put a couple of hours in. I was spoiled on Factorio, so I never experienced the glory of spaghetti belts. Couple of questions:

- There's up to 64 stars and each of them has some number of planets.
- I wouldn't bother linking all mines together to some central smelting location, since you're limited by the low tier 1 belt speed anyway. Just build near wherever your resources are until you get planetary logistics.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

It really is a beautiful game.

https://i.imgur.com/y0UpTwe.mp4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HdFrA6gTHSc

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 11:43 on Jan 27, 2021

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Philthy posted:

This was me only I'd forget poo poo I built 2 hours ago in the same play session. "Where the gently caress did I place that!?" I constantly ask myself as I use sub-orbital burns to bounce around the atmosphere like some sort of robotic space dolphin.

Also the fact that the game lets you do sub-orbital burns were you bounce into space mode and then back into planet mode is really cool.

Ambaire posted:

Apparently, the starter system can generate with all 3 planets as satellites of the gas giant. Seed 272. Gobi and Arid worlds.

I'm keeping my main save, but I've gotten slightly bored and am not sure whether I want to start a new one on this seed, or on a different one I found, 207, with ashen and ice worlds, both of which have a rare resource.

That's a cool system and that's a Phact. :rimshot: Almost makes me wanna restart again :smithicide: Seriously thought it was cool when I got a system with two moons. That's crazy

One of my projects this weekend was to see if I could get up to and build a Goatse around a Red Giant. If you're just going for the fingers it's a much simpler shape so the answer is likely "Yes".

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

You can put nodes anywhere if you unclick the grid, so yes you can do anything as long as the nodes aren't too close together, any image you could draw on a sphere made of straight lines where the vertices are less than like, a degree or two apart, you can make in DSP :v:

That's also a note on how the game actually does the dyson planning. Nodes can be a fixed number of degrees apart, not absolute distance, so if you put the shell further out you can enclose gigantic areas in frames, which you can then fill with solar sails. My starting size 1 star can fit tens of thousands of sails per enclosed frame piece if you build it far enough out, and I don't think the game really models light dispersion either so furthest out orbit, maximum absolute coverage area is the way to go, I think.

I have literally been playing the game nonstop for days because I wanted to build a dickbutt. Also the nice thing about building a dickbutt is it just keeps appearing in the sky at random like the opening credits of evangelion.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 13:20 on Jan 27, 2021

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Huh. On my save where I brownoutted/death spiraled I could only build around the center as there was a little green happy zone then everything was "Nope, can't do that, not stable enough."

Then again that might have been because I didn't have the +Lattitude tech?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Yes, by default you can only build a ring, though again building it far out is better because each node costs 30 and the struts between cost less, so the fewer nodes you use the better and the further out you are the further apart the nodes can be in absolute space, because again they're restricted by how many degrees of arc they cover, not how absolutely far apart they are, it's a slightly odd idea to wrap your head around but it makes sense once you play with it (or if you're a maths knower which I am not)

As you get more latitude you can start expanding that up towards the solar poles, and once you enclose an area in struts(frames) you can designate it part of the shell, which will cause your orbiting solar sails to lock into it and become permanent fixtures.

You can see in the image that the dickbutt is close in, so its struts are quite small, but the large collector i am building further out has the same element sizes but the nodes are much further apart and you can fill a gigantic internal area with sails.

The latitude expansions line up much better with the graticule grid, so you can just make your sphere expand towards the poles, but I like the geodesic grid too. I'm building my "proper" sphere in a neighboring star system with better luminosity, more planets, and better resources, and I am going to make that one graticule based and leave a window around the ecliptic so that the planets still get sunlight.

I feel like there is a huge amount of simulation possibility with this in the late game that I would love to see capitalized on. Again I would love massive planetary structures that carve out huge sections of the world to make resource collectors or production centers or whatever, and really reward building up the sphere. It feels like once you unlock all the tech there's room for an entire new stage of the game to open up.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 14:22 on Jan 27, 2021

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
Is it realistically possible to play this without having to pave the habitable planets? I don't like stripmining biospheres :(

Splicer fucked around with this message at 14:33 on Jan 27, 2021

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

You don't have to pave, you can set the foundation tool to just level the ground if you want to.

But you will be building a large factory on your starter habitable world, yes.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

It....it's wonderful!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN

Splicer posted:

Is it realistically possible to play this without having to pave the habitable planets? I don't like stripmining biospheres :(

Easily.