Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Yeah Nah?
This poll is closed.
Yeah Nah 122 53.51%
Nah Yeah 64 28.07%
Nah Yee 18 7.89%
No Yes 9 3.95%
Yes No 15 6.58%
Total: 228 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

perepelki
Dec 11, 2020

know before Whom you stand

bell jar posted:

Unironically though, where else would you rather live? For me it would probably only be New Zealand
my long-term plan is to move to crimea, the one place i can live without feeling like a dipshit colonist, where i will fulfil mankind's longest unfinished business: domesticating the world's only untamed species of rear end, the asiatic wild rear end

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

bell jar posted:

Unironically though, where else would you rather live? For me it would probably only be New Zealand

Probably only NZ, yeah. I shouldn't complain too much because without like..medicare I would have been painfully super dead several times over now and holy gently caress thank god we aren't the US or UK.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

bell jar posted:

Norway is high up on my list, but yeah, most countries have poo poo aspects to them, just gotta pick the ones you can stomach

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug

bell jar posted:

antarctica

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

kirbysuperstar posted:

Probably only NZ, yeah. I shouldn't complain too much because without like..medicare I would have been painfully super dead several times over now and holy gently caress thank god we aren't the US or UK.

My Life story

Capt.Whorebags
Jan 10, 2005

freebooter posted:

A majority of countries in the Commonwealth are republics. I think there's only like 15 or 16 of us left who are still Commonwealth "realms."

Wasn't there something a while ago where they wanted to change the law so that the throne could go to an eldest daughter but every realm had to agree and in Australia that meant all the attorney generals had to agree and SA or somebody was holding up the process? That was pretty funny

Yeah all the states said “happy for the feds to act on our behalf” but Campbell loving Newman stomped his feet and said “Queensland will agree, but separately”

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

Haha of course it was him. The proto-Tony

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer

bell jar posted:

All my extended family live in Ireland and I spent a few months there a few years ago with thoughts of moving there or England but the weather is pretty rough if you've grown up in Australia. I'll maybe look into it again in 10 years or so.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
living in berlin would be pretty rad

Konomex
Oct 25, 2010

a whiteman who has some authority over others, who not only hasn't raped anyone, or stared at them creepily...

What are they on? Because it's powerful poo poo.

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

The thing wasn't a documentary.

freebooter posted:

Haha of course it was him. The proto-Tony

Speaking of that gremlin, scraped from the arse.

Abbott seeks return to values
Tony Abbott will lead a new movement to defend and revive traditional Australian values, as a report warns of a collapse of living standards.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Homora Gaykemi posted:

quote:

explicitly sets out to change the social order

Which makes it inherently bad. Like the civil rights movement in the US in the 60s which sought to change the social order which considered African Americans as less human.

This is why The Australian continues its Murdoch mandated policy of hating transgender people and black people.

- Andrew Bolt™, paedophile apologist at large.

Buttcoin purse
Apr 24, 2014

Eediot Jedi posted:

traditional Australian values

So Mr. Abbot are you referring to the values of Australia's original inhabitants? Oh, not that traditional huh? So like from around the time of the White Australia policy then?

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

EoinCannon posted:

All my extended family live in Ireland and I spent a few months there a few years ago with thoughts of moving there or England but the weather is pretty rough if you've grown up in Australia. I'll maybe look into it again in 10 years or so.

England is a deeply classist failed state run by neoliberal reactionaries and is a far more institutionally mean-spirited place than Australia. Pretty much every lovely policy the coalition tries to implement here is already well underway in the UK.

Ireland I think is cool. In fact it would appear to outrank us on the HDI index now! You have to pay to see a GP though.

Eediot Jedi posted:

Tony Abbott will lead a new movement to defend and revive traditional Australian values, as a report warns of a collapse of living standards.

Fantastic stuff from the SBS journo in this piece:

https://www.sbs.com.au/news/tony-abbott-bemoans-virus-hysteria-and-health-despotism-as-he-questions-impact-of-covid-19-rules

quote:

"Thanks to the pandemic, we're now told to form orderly and socially distanced queues - as if we were English."

The former prime minister was born in London and has been working for the British government as a trade adviser.

quote:

He also hit out at "absurd" rules like compulsory face masks while driving in a car alone which featured in Brisbane's three-day mini-lockdown.

NSW Police cleared Mr Abbott of breaking coronavirus during Sydney's northern beaches lockdown after he was seen cycling in a zone he did not live in.

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer

freebooter posted:

Ireland I think is cool. In fact it would appear to outrank us on the HDI index now! You have to pay to see a GP though.

Yeah Irish politics and culture is less dire than ours in many ways, notwithstanding some weird Catholic bits and pieces.

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

We Have Important Work To Do
https://twitter.com/hil_clix_pix/status/1353842769354100737

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Malcolm Turnbeug posted:

tbh I think i would be happy anywhere except new zealand

Out of interest, what was your sea shanty take, and how could it have possibly been dumb enough to not reflect worse on the redtext giver than on you.

They're sea shanties.

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

We Have Important Work To Do
People get into sea shanties from time to time and it's weird as hell

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nKYi2NZS0Y0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5YprxTtJ604

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kHEX9EpIL7o

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
They bought the avatar to punish themselves for caring lots about hot 2021 network television and talkback radio meme, sea shanties.

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

man of my word costs me

Lmao Abbott is such a fuckhead, his opinion is the only correct one and obviously if the pandemic had happened on his watch he would've shirt fronted it at the airport.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

Here's some fun Invasion Day news. (Although it's not really news)

https://www.espncricinfo.com/story/all-indigenous-pm-s-xi-canned-after-scott-morrison-re-election-1249197

You know how touring international cricket sides usually play a game against the PMs XI? Well Cricket Australia wanted to field an all-indigenous XI as the PMs XI. You know, to encourage indigenous participation in the national sport, and showcase the talent that is there.

But Scotty the Engadine Pants Shitter said "gently caress off, I don't want no abbo team in my name." So it didn't happen. YAY Australia

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again

Sulla Faex
May 14, 2010

No man ever did me so much good, or enemy so much harm, but I repaid him with ENDLESS SHITPOSTING

bowmore posted:

living in berlin would be pretty rad

it is. climate leaves something to be desired but the mediterranean isnt so far away.. im hoping they follow through with this "bring back the continental inter-city trains" thing that budget flights killed so i dont have to choose between skullfucking the planet and shaking vitamin D pills into my mouth every winter like theyre m&ms

Sulla Faex fucked around with this message at 11:10 on Jan 26, 2021

lih
May 15, 2013

Just a friendly reminder of what it looks like.

We'll do punctuation later.
good work to albo for coming up with an australia day take that will make absolutely everyone mad

Konomex
Oct 25, 2010

a whiteman who has some authority over others, who not only hasn't raped anyone, or stared at them creepily...

Eediot Jedi posted:

Can someone outline to me what these people constantly prattling on about Australian values actually are? I studied the history courses and I've listened to them for yonks now and I still can't work out what they are. Unless they value hypocrisy and nepotism. But those aren't Australian values.

Just putting this out there, if a Police officer arrests a politician for a crime, they should receive a bonus. That feels like a traditional Australian value being upheld. The value of all politicians being bastards and gently caress 'em. None of this wash away Abbott breaking the rules bullshit. They should receive twice the fine.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

Konomex posted:

Can someone outline to me what these people constantly prattling on about Australian values actually are? I studied the history courses and I've listened to them for yonks now and I still can't work out what they are. Unless they value hypocrisy and nepotism. But those aren't Australian values.

i'm assuming eatin onions, fronting shirts and being white

Intoluene
Jul 6, 2011

Activating self-destruct sequence!
Fun Shoe

alf_pogs posted:

i'm assuming eatin onions, fronting shirts and being white

It's the last one. If it's ever about "traditional values" it's just the standard white christian poo poo that is the norm because they say it is.

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

man of my word costs me

He clearly said it's sitting in the front seat of the taxi like our ancestors did on the first fleet.

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

Finishing the game with everyone else's continues
From what I've read regarding Tony Abbott's younger days, he quit the clergy because at the time they were starting to come around to be conciliatory towards people who had been forced out of the church communities due to divorce and things like that (he wrote a piece on it, I believe). He wanted to be a priest seemingly because they had unquestionable power in a community but suddenly his higher ups are starting to talk about forgiveness and the softer approach. So keep in mind that when Tony Abbott longs for "traditional values" he's not longing for just any good old days, he's longing for some 100 year old nasty church poo poo where some old white dude in a cloak could kick you out of a community for showing your ankles.

In my mind he's pursuing this dumb poo poo still because he cannot accept that he was wrong about anything, even when his own party and the people of his seat all told him he was wrong and removed him from his position of authority there.

perepelki
Dec 11, 2020

as an outsider to white australian culture who grew up in the heartland, this was the ideal:

- beer
- utes
- outdoor barbecues
- english-style cuisine, with all that entails
- especially bakeries. pies and sausage rolls are a big deal
- swearing (men only)
- for men: rugby, cricket, and occasionally hockey depending on where you're from. for women: netball
- once you're too old for sport, a socially acceptable alternative is blowing as much money as possible on the horses or the pokies
- christianity. the churches unofficially run the community, especially the cwa, and nobody fucks with the cwa
- christian holidays, especially christmas, which has to be a big multigenerational family gathering even if everyone hates each other
- nuclear family, with the women in the kitchen and the men making all the decisions
- being in the bush. it doesn't matter what you do there. camping, fishing, dirt-biking are all good options, but so are arson and torturing wild animals
- smouldering resentment and fear of the bush, the wild animals, the climate, and all other aspects of the natural environment
- white is normal. if you're not physically white, be prepared to defend your choice
- emotional repression. killing yourself is preferable to emotionally burdening anybody else in the community, including your own family
- the local am radio station is the word of G-d
- winning tidy towns is the highest possible human achievement

perepelki fucked around with this message at 00:15 on Jan 27, 2021

perepelki
Dec 11, 2020

more aussie culture:

- there are like three poets and five painters that everybody recognises and approves of. all other art is suspect
- nobody likes australian cinema
- a school fête is a huge occasion that everybody must attend
- the single biggest event in the calendar is the annual town show. these shows are run by a clade of migratory people known as "carnies", who spend their lives travelling from town to town towing their dismantled rides in huge caravans. while the adults run the show, the carnie children fight the town children in ritualised combat. no town person has ever met or spoken to a carnie outside of the show setting, and their lives are mysterious
- if a famous white person passed through the town at any moment between 1788-1920, their presence will be commemorated forever
- anybody who has physically seen the queen, or any english royal, occupies a special place in the social hierarchy
- the nearest capital city is viciously despised and spat upon by everyone, as is the nearest town of approximate size
- the town mayor is wildly corrupt and lives like a king. this is a good thing
- the local golf club plays a role in the community akin to the royal court
- men work in mining or building houses for urban treechangers, women in nursing or aged care. the only other jobs are in job search agencies, "helping" the rest of the community look for work in the aforementioned industries
- you are "local" if, and only if, you have at least one grandparent buried in the town cemetery

perepelki fucked around with this message at 00:59 on Jan 27, 2021

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug

perepelki posted:

mate

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

perepelki posted:

https://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2020/jul/23/yahoo-serious-evicted-from-sydney-home-after-falling-27000-behind-in-rental-payments

A Perfect Twist
Aug 15, 2007

"What have I done? I'll have to start again. To forget and to disappear. I'll head north, far-north, to that big question mark, the Northern Territory"

Even Yahoo Serious can't get off the rental roundabout :sigh:

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop
https://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2021/jan/27/antisemitism-and-holocaust-denial-on-the-rise-in-australia-josh-frydenberg-warns

:irony:

VJR was found unresponsive in his bed at John Moroney correctional centre just before the morning muster at 8.10am. He had last been seen alive at 5.30am, making a cup of coffee. Corrections officers performed CPR and used a defibrillator but were unable to revive him. His death was attributed to heart disease.

ISSUES RAISED
Medical care required but not all given, mental health / cognitive impairment.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

oh my god

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

TheLastRoboKy posted:

From what I've read regarding Tony Abbott's younger days, he quit the clergy because at the time they were starting to come around to be conciliatory towards people who had been forced out of the church communities due to divorce and things like that (he wrote a piece on it, I believe). He wanted to be a priest seemingly because they had unquestionable power in a community but suddenly his higher ups are starting to talk about forgiveness and the softer approach. So keep in mind that when Tony Abbott longs for "traditional values" he's not longing for just any good old days, he's longing for some 100 year old nasty church poo poo where some old white dude in a cloak could kick you out of a community for showing your ankles.

It was also because of the very concept of Christian charity.

He saw the church giving to those he thought were undeserving (i.e. not suffering enough, gay, not white, women) and those not actually in need (clothes for their children? Blankets? Food? Humbug!) and the idea so disgusted him he left to join the Liberal party.

But it all definitely fits together in a pattern of him wanting absolute power over others. Especially vulnerable people. Like, oh I don't know, maybe women and Aboriginals? Hmmm, now why does that seem familiar?

froglet
Nov 12, 2009

You see, the best way to Stop the Boats is a massive swarm of autonomous armed dogs. Strafing a few boats will stop the rest and save many lives in the long term.

You can't make an Omelet without breaking a few eggs. Vote Greens.
I started responding to this post and had written enough I feel weird about just deleting it when the app reminded me, so here we go:

Buttcoin purse posted:

I thought it was some country town - Albury or nearby. https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-09-15/women-in-regional-nsw-struggle-for-abortion-access/12643858 covers some of the stuff I remember reading, but it doesn't paint quite as bad a picture as I remember, so maybe I'm remembering wrong, apologies if so.

I read your post as a hypothetical, but I could totally see it happening, particularly in a country town. There was a GP near my old house who'd refuse to do any birth control or pregnancy termination consults (she also refused to do anything with workers compensation and car accidents, which seemed weird). Sadly, a lot of the time she was the only doctor who wasn't booked out if you needed to be seen to quasi-urgently, and this was in an outer suburbs area. There were a few times I'd have to book her purely because there was nobody else available. She had a gigantic Jesus on the cross in her room, ugh.

Doctors aren't medication/treatment dispensing machines, they are people in their own right and people do occasionally have bonkers ideas about abortion or mental illness or whatever. However, I reckon medicine exists in a space where perhaps individuals should be heavily discouraged if not outright prevented from practicing in areas where their values are so grossly out of step with the general population that they would habitually decline certain kinds of treatment to patients.

Holy poo poo.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe
It's like the difference between Tony Abbott, Malcolm Turnbull and Scott Morrison.

Tony Abbott is a genuine shithead, who thinks he's doing the right thing, but is a controlling patriarchal rear end in a top hat who won't relinquish any decision making whatsoever to those he sees as lesser.

Turnbull is a cynical shithead, who knows what the right thing to do is, but refuses to do it because of political calculus to triangulate himself into power and be self serving.

Morrisson is a bootlicking shithead who weasels and blames others at every opportunity and is filled with nothing but marketing language and empty platitudes. He knows nothing, and believes in nothing.

Fire all of them into the sun.

EDIT: I'm also aware that it's much harder to fire someone into the sun than it is to just launch randomly into space, but you know what, they're worth the effort. Howard can go too.

hooman fucked around with this message at 06:32 on Jan 27, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

froglet posted:

Holy poo poo.

What's up with these responses? Frydenberg is notably the son of a woman who escaped the Holocaust and came to Australia stateless. Should Frydenberg not come out against anti-semitism or what? What do you want?