Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Enjoy your stay! CSPAM or whatever is just 2 clicks away if you find yourself outside of your comfort zone

i'll post less, i read the bwm thread a bunch and it was great

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Enjoy your stay! CSPAM or whatever is just 2 clicks away if you find yourself outside of your comfort zone

the true balance is poastin on cspam and bfc at the same time all the time

(its cuz i mainly yospost)

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

Relevant Tangent posted:

literally illegal though, which is why this is not just a fantastic way to make money it's a moral way to make money and lord knows there's basically none of those left

This finance baby is going to learn what’s going on and hopefully get in on the action.

ohnobugs
Feb 22, 2003

Relevant Tangent posted:

literally illegal though, which is why this is not just a fantastic way to make money it's a moral way to make money and lord knows there's basically none of those left

A lot of retail investors are gonna be burned when this thing crashes, not just institutional investors. And it's going to hurt them more.

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010
Honest to god thinks Half Life 2 is a bad game. But at least he likes Monster Hunter.

err posted:

Okay but what about BB and AMC

Not in either of those boomer traps to divert attention from GME.

I threw a toy position at NOK at open that lost like 50% and have a position in PLTR that I'll probably roll out another month.

Also BABA and a couple others. I'm starting to rotate out of long calls into some wheels since they should be less stressful to manage with some new projects at work starting.

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Many of us own multiple homes that we rent for money

sounds like youre getting your just desserts op

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit

ohnobugs posted:

A lot of retail investors are gonna be burned when this thing crashes, not just institutional investors. And it's going to hurt them more.

when it crashes

when a post on wsb gets sufficiently upvoted saying "jobs done boys time to pull out" its going to crash as fast as people can sell

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Many of us own multiple homes that we rent for money

You're gonna trigger the gently caress out of this guy Chris

as I type from my rented 1bedroom hovel

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Phobophilia posted:

when it crashes

when a post on wsb gets sufficiently upvoted saying "jobs done boys time to pull out" its going to crash as fast as people can sell

No chance that happens.

There will be people spamming rocket ships and HOLD until the price is below $20.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance

ohnobugs posted:

Anyone putting money in on GME that they can't afford to lose kinda has it coming though

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Pilfered Pallbearers posted:

No chance that happens.

There will be people spamming rocket ships and HOLD until the price is below $20.

Bag holders are a critical part of the ecosystem.

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G
I find it hilarious that Reddit and WSB have created a community lottery. Just need a critical mass of people to pump a stock. Winners get out ahead and some losers get caught holding the bag.

It's a lottery and you just can't be on the wrong side by shorting, buying puts, or bagholding. If anything it should make you want to take profits a little early and cut losses quickly if it turns sideways.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Phobophilia posted:

Anyway those hedge funds aren't actually wrong that Gamestop and AMC are doomed businesses, and all they're really doing is nudging those businesses into the pit slightly faster and gambling that they will fall at a certain velocity.

On the one hand, yes, and shorting has a way of stress-testing companies to make sure they have actual value. Some real skunks have been sniffed out before.

At the same time, accelerating a company's decline and profiting from it, to the point of over-committing to the short so that there's no feasible way out, is ghoulish and deserves a correction as a warning to other hedge funds.

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

Flirting With Apathetic Waitresses Since 1984
Threw in $50 on AMC for $8.10/share before close. If I can make a month's rent when/if it gets high enough, sweet, I'll be happy.

ohnobugs
Feb 22, 2003

prom candy posted:

Anyone putting money in on GME that they can't afford to lose kinda has it coming though

I mean I won't be losing sleep over it, but the argument that making money off a ponzi scheme is somehow moral is stupid.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

prom candy posted:

Agreed.

I put in about 2k, and it’s currently up 4k. Plan to take out 2k to cover cost before Friday and see where things ride, plus multiple limits on the way up so I don’t miss if the giant spike that they’re screaming about happens.

I really think the musk tweet is going to push this into turbo drive tomorrow if WSB doesn’t get closed before open.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

ohnobugs posted:

I mean I won't be losing sleep over it, but the argument that making money off a ponzi scheme is somehow moral is stupid.

What if all of capitalism is a Ponzi scheme?

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

ohnobugs posted:

is there ever a time where that's not true? retail might've just killed a brokerage it owns

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

ohnobugs posted:

this is a short squeeze, thank you very much, and even better it's a naked short squeeze and we're the ones selling clothing

hobbesmaster posted:

want to change to this person's argument

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Oscar Wild posted:

I find it hilarious that Reddit and WSB have created a community lottery. Just need a critical mass of people to pump a stock. Winners get out ahead and some losers get caught holding the bag.

It's a lottery and you just can't be on the wrong side by shorting, buying puts, or bagholding. If anything it should make you want to take profits a little early and cut losses quickly if it turns sideways.

didn't reddit used to have literally that "make someone a millionaire" subreddit where a bunch of people would donate $1 to one person

ohnobugs
Feb 22, 2003

hobbesmaster posted:

:thunk:

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

Talked to a friend (I've mentioned him before) about Gamestop and he lost $500 today on it. And this thread on twitter if legitimate (and it appears to be so) makes sense and confirm that this thread things Reddit are a bunch of idiots (some of which might become rich idiots but still).

https://twitter.com/toxic/status/1353890766800621569?s=20

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

LionArcher posted:

Talked to a friend (I've mentioned him before) about Gamestop and he lost $500 today on it. And this thread on twitter if legitimate (and it appears to be so) makes sense and confirm that this thread things Reddit are a bunch of idiots (some of which might become rich idiots but still).

https://twitter.com/toxic/status/1353890771087151105?s=21

This GME thing has been months in the making though?

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Class today we learn how Robinhood makes its money without charging a fee!

Nybble
Jun 28, 2008

praise chuck, raise heck
https://twitter.com/matt_levine/status/1354131836323196928?s=21

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance

ohnobugs posted:

yes i agree the stock market is immoral

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit

LionArcher posted:

lmfao i totally forgot about the hft dynamic of course some gullible redditors are collectively getting taken for a ride even if some of them will make money in the end

LeafHouse
Apr 22, 2008

That's what you get for not hailing to the chimp!

Add me to the list of dumbasses that sold AMC covered calls today. Between that and selling off GME two weeks ago it has been a rough ride. Everything I do is wrong but at least it’s a little profitable...

After hours trading is bullshit

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

This GME nonsense is spawning some decent meltdowns.

https://twitter.com/jowens510/status/1354197191984746496

err
Apr 11, 2005

I carry my own weight no matter how heavy this shit gets...

LeafHouse posted:

Add me to the list of dumbasses that sold AMC covered calls today. Between that and selling off GME two weeks ago it has been a rough ride. Everything I do is wrong but at least it’s a little profitable...

meet me in the pool at 9:30am, waters still warm

Axel Serenity
Sep 27, 2002
If AMC reaches $10, I might exercise my $6 call and sell lol

If I exercise an option and then sell, does that count as a day trade? I think I'm close to my three limit for the week and don't want to run into the problem of having both AMC and GME pop on the same day. I bought the option today.

nvm RH had the answer in FAQ

Axel Serenity fucked around with this message at 03:03 on Jan 27, 2021

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Vox Nihili posted:

This guy is so mad lol

thats not candy
Mar 10, 2010

Hell Gem
amcs cheap enough that itll probably keep running for awhile so just buy back in gently caress it

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

Vox Nihili posted:

"You won't like it when YOU'RE a billionaire!!!"

That's a risk I'm willing to take baby

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

Axel Serenity posted:

If I exercise an option and then sell, does that count as a day trade? I think I'm close to my three limit for the week and don't want to run into the problem of having both AMC and GME pop on the same day. I bought the option today.

Just sell the call, exercising is almost always less profitable if you aren't trying to establish a long-term position

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

LeafHouse posted:

Did you write them for twice what you paid for the shares? Grats on doubling up in a week!

Axel Serenity
Sep 27, 2002

thats not candy posted:

amcs cheap enough that itll probably keep running for awhile so just buy back in gently caress it

That is true. TBF I had AMC as one I was looking at anyway as a long-term stock since it's an industry I know extremely well. i had Cinemark for a bit and it actually made some of my better gains for such a small position put into it. If I do exercise AMC, I might hold till Friday and see what happens.

Assuming it hits $10. Otherwise I'm just selling that option

cr0y posted:

Just sell the call, exercising is almost always less profitable if you aren't trying to establish a long-term position

The breakeven was $6.17. If its after-hours holds even remotely true at open then, welp.

Gone Fashing
Aug 4, 2004

KEEP POSTIN
I'M STILL LAFFIN

Axel Serenity posted:

the price difference between exercising and then selling is part of the premium of the call, just sell the call

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Axel Serenity posted:

That is true. TBF I had AMC as one I was looking at anyway as a long-term stock since it's an industry I know extremely well. i had Cinemark for a bit and it actually made some of my better gains for such a small position put into it. If I do exercise AMC, I might hold till Friday and see what happens.

Assuming it hits $10. Otherwise I'm just selling that option

The breakeven was $6.17. If its after-hours holds even remotely true at open then, welp.

Sell the option and buy 100 shares is the most profitable play since it will have very high IV if it keeps going up into the day from after market.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

Christ this poo poo is bleeding into instagram now