Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Dirk the Average posted:

This is also only acceptable if said button makes the airships randomly catch fire and/or explode if the button is toggled.

That's gotta hurt!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Ariong posted:

The main thing I took away from that mod is that having the swastikas be toggled by a button hidden in-game is an extremely stupid and funny solution to the problem.

The serious conversation about the implications of making and publicly releasing a mod with that content is WAY above my paygrade.

It's the extremely half-rear end approach of "I know there are a lot of people who don't want to see nazi content so I am disabling the swastikas, but I also know there are people who very much want to see nazi content and between these two groups who can say what is right?" Because heaven forbid you make an editorial decision regarding nazis.

HookedOnChthonics
Dec 5, 2015

Profoundly dull

^^^ i dunno, context matters. if the idea is that you get Space Battleship Hindenburg blinged out with OP technology as your power fantasy base in the contemporary wasteland it'd be super weird to keep the swastikas, but in a mod that seems to be about wandering a period setting and faithfully (within FO4 limitations) representing historical artifacts it's just a pretty workaday museology debate :shrug:

orange juche posted:

Its ok to admit you don't see the problem with having a HIDDEN NAZI BUTTON THAT YOU DON'T HAVE TO USE BUT ITS STILL THERE FOR HISTORICAL ACCURACY YOU DON'T HAVE TO TOUCH IT JEEZ STOP CRITCIZING ME FOR PUTTING SWASTIKAS ON MY poo poo

(you can still have a hindenburg airship model without the tail flash and wow, nothing of value was lost! why would someone bother putting it in, in a mod they intend to distribute to others is a mystery to me. There's no upside to this and a lot of downsides I think!)

... yes? you can? like, that would be a legitimate choice the author could have made. the question was whether there's also going to be a picture of hitler with a lipstick print taped up in the captain's quarters or whether the entirety of the swastika disclaimer is about the paint scheme

if the entire issue is the option to proactively choose to see the historical livery of one airship among a fleet of them in which it is the only German representative, where the author could easily have gone all-German if they just wanted to play the fig leaf game, yes i would 100% download and use this mod with no worries about it conflicting with my antifascist values?

i mean i wouldn't press the button and would take the R100 over the Hindenburg any day of the week in any case, but if there's nothing else suspicious then you're tilting at a real windmill here—if a model hobbyist paints accurate insignia on their german models, it doesn't mean anything by itself; but if they only have german models it's a red flag

but like i said if the author is actually a huge secret nazi and you have to chant the 14 words to unlock the promenade deck or some poo poo someone please let me know before i make the mistake of downloading it; otherwise it looks p neat?

HookedOnChthonics fucked around with this message at 02:33 on Jan 27, 2021

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

King Vidiot posted:

If you don't want to see hell anymore, you can call a girls.

(Nods intensely)

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
https://twitter.com/TKsMantis/status/1351300776405024768

Orv
May 4, 2011

HookedOnChthonics posted:

^^^ i dunno, context matters. if the idea is that you get Space Battleship Hindenburg blinged out with OP technology as your power fantasy base in the contemporary wasteland it'd be super weird to keep the swastikas, but in a mod that seems to be about wandering a period setting and faithfully (within FO4 limitations) representing historical artifacts it's just a pretty workaday museology debate :shrug:

... yes? you can? like, that would be a legitimate choice the author could have made. the question was whether there's also going to be a picture of hitler with a lipstick print taped up in the captain's quarters or whether the entirety of the swastika disclaimer is about the paint scheme

if the entire issue is the option to proactively choose to see the historical livery of one airship among a fleet of them in which it is the only German representative, where the author could easily have gone all-German if they just wanted to play the fig leaf game, yes i would 100% download and use this mod with no worries about it conflicting with my antifascist values?

i mean i wouldn't press the button and would take the R100 over the Hindenburg any day of the week in any case, but if there's nothing else suspicious then you're tilting at a real windmill here—if a model hobbyist paints accurate insignia on their german models, it doesn't mean anything by itself; but if they only have german models it's a red flag

but like i said if the author is actually a huge secret nazi and you have to chant the 14 words to unlock the promenade deck or some poo poo someone please let me know before i make the mistake of downloading it; otherwise it looks p neat?

I get what you're arguing here but frankly gaming as a hobby is so shot through with absolutely reprehensible people that the safer, easier money is much closer to the "is a nazi" side of things than the other. There's no need to defend the mod.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

is it just the hindenburg's tail flash or is there other nazi stuff in the mod too? b/c unless it's crewed entirely by SS hatsune mikus i gotta say this just looks like a mod about letting you explore virtual versions of 1930s airships and, spoiler alert, the most famous of them had some big ol very prominent swastikas

maybe you take the position that depictions of that era should uncompromisingly strip out nazi symbology rather than letting the player choose if they want to see them but i'm gonna need some corroborating evidence before casting aspersions here (and please point it out if there are, because rn this seems like a great mod i would definitely use and i hate being surprised by that sort of thing)

Artist intent is very much a thing, and the intent is "I gots to have my swastikas on my Nazi airship in 2021, but I don't want people yelling at me about my swastikas! :pseudo:".

They're either actually a nazi or loving stupid.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Hey, that's not fair.

The could easily be both nazis and loving stupid.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Games > The Awful/Awesome Mods Thread: "This place is ought to be destroyed"

Diabetes Forecast
Aug 13, 2008

Droopy Only

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Artist intent is very much a thing, and the intent is "I gots to have my swastikas on my Nazi airship in 2021, but I don't want people yelling at me about my swastikas! :pseudo:".

You didn't look at any of their other work. You're making an Ancient aliens level "It's Nazis" without even attempting to look at the broader picture, and the broader picture is that they really, really love their historical recreations.

that's just the first few. The Age of Airships 2 mod they made is a time-travelling escapade with many different eras and locales, only maybe 1 or 2 has anything to do with Nazi Germany.

I can't believe you people have been having this argument for this many pages without doing the slightest bit of checking-over of your claims. Christ.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

orange juche posted:

The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Games > The Awful/Awesome Mods Thread: Enter the sewer.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

:hai:

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

:mods:

HookedOnChthonics
Dec 5, 2015

Profoundly dull

Neddy Seagoon posted:

... if the mod was called "GLORIOUS REICHSZEPPELIN HINDENBURG PLAYER HOME [56K no]" and had only the one, yes, i might agree with this. my whole line of enquiry here is that the author sure put a lot of effort into the apparent 85%+ of this mod dedicated to British and American cars and boats airships that the vast majority of nazi fetishists don't have anywhere near the patience or subtlety for, no? Modders are modders, of course--but by that exact measure they usually wear those intentions much more openly and single-mindedly than this and would also probably have it enabled by default, yes?

Genuinely asking if anyone can point to other gross poo poo in the mod or the user's profile; i wouldn't be surprised at all if it was there but if it isn't, and the mod is otherwise on the up and up, this one scans as crotchety historical modeling griping and not fash apologia

fake edit: the trailer heavily features shooting the fash and kkk (and some soviets); it looks like it's supposed to be an indiana jones total conversion

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

... if the mod was called "GLORIOUS REICHSZEPPELIN HINDENBURG PLAYER HOME [56K no]" and had only the one, yes, i might agree with this. my whole line of enquiry here is that the author sure put a lot of effort into the apparent 85%+ of this mod dedicated to British and American cars and boats airships that the vast majority of nazi fetishists don't have anywhere near the patience or subtlety for, no? Modders are modders, of course--but by that exact measure they usually wear those intentions much more openly and single-mindedly than this and would also probably have it enabled by default, yes?

Genuinely asking if anyone can point to other gross poo poo in the mod or the user's profile; i wouldn't be surprised at all if it was there but if it isn't, and the mod is otherwise on the up and up, this one scans as crotchety historical modeling griping and not fash apologia

fake edit: the trailer heavily features shooting the fash and kkk (and some soviets); it looks like it's supposed to be an indiana jones total conversion

Put it this way; Do you think the people using that mod are going to be predominantly real enthusiastic history buffs, or literal nazis? That puts it on the real loving stupid side of the scale.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

We're definitely in the sewer right now

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

I don't want to see hell anymore, can I call a girls

HookedOnChthonics
Dec 5, 2015

Profoundly dull

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Put it this way; Do you think the people using that mod are going to be predominantly real enthusiastic history buffs, or literal nazis? That puts it on the real loving stupid side of the scale.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HIBrVuKDrpc

just not seeing it, friendo :shrug:

like unless there are options to side with the nazis and kkk that are very specifically elided in the trailer footage they appear to be the fodder enemies in a 1930s adventure romp, which i am here for. nazis dont generally go in for making or playing mods where you shoot lots of nazis in my experience

here's the author's trailer, which also demonstrates the swastika removal button as they mow down a room full of American Nazi Party enemies:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w7Vuzsl32Ow

mod looks good.

HookedOnChthonics fucked around with this message at 04:57 on Jan 27, 2021

Diabetes Forecast
Aug 13, 2008

Droopy Only

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Apparently by your logic they'll settle for just a tiny crumb of swastika

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Christ, what an rear end in a top hat.

SilkyP
Jul 21, 2004

The Boo-Box

It does seem like an awful lot of mod content to just show off airship swastikas

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

This is a war crime and also hate crime.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HIBrVuKDrpc

just not seeing it, friendo :shrug:

like unless there are options to side with the nazis and kkk that are very specifically elided in the trailer footage they appear to be the fodder enemies in a 1930s adventure romp, which i am here for. nazis dont generally go in for making or playing mods where you shoot lots of nazis in my experience

here's the author's trailer, which also demonstrates the swastika removal button as they mow down a room full of American Nazi Party enemies:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w7Vuzsl32Ow

mod looks good.

How many nazis do you think they will have to kill in the trailer before it is officially deemed fit to consider "Mod you kill nazis in" instead of "Mod for nazis"

Maybe if a nazi fell out of a burning zeppelin and was impaled on a statue of Hitler before the zeplin crushed them both?

Diabetes Forecast
Aug 13, 2008

Droopy Only

Section Z posted:

How many nazis do you think they will have to kill in the trailer before it is officially deemed fit to consider "Mod you kill nazis in" instead of "Mod for nazis"

Maybe if a nazi fell out of a burning zeppelin and was impaled on a statue of Hitler before the zeplin crushed them both?

You are getting a bit too into this larp.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

Diabetes Forecast posted:

I can't believe you people have been having this argument for this many pages without doing the slightest bit of checking-over of your claims. Christ.

the person does nazi fan art under the same username and put a nazi lover in one of those mods. that atomguard mod is something i tried and it's also really gamerified, edgy, and typical of that type of person. Not trying to argue, just think this is funny. Stay safe during the pandemic, modders

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Cavauro posted:

the person does nazi fan art under the same username and put a nazi lover in one of those mods. that atomguard mod is something i tried and it's also really gamerified, edgy, and typical of that type of person. Not trying to argue, just think this is funny. Stay safe during the pandemic, modders

too late, mods gave me COVID

Mr.Misfit
Jan 10, 2013

The time for
SkellyBones
has come!
The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Games > The Awful/Awesome Mods Thread: Mods gave me Covid

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

You know what's another word for sewer?

Cloaca

Duh Ugh
May 27, 2008

Well that led me down quite the rabbit hole: :nws:https://www.nexusmods.com/newvegas/mods/70905:nws:

Carpator Diei
Feb 26, 2011

Duh Ugh posted:

Well that led me down quite the rabbit hole: :nws:https://www.nexusmods.com/newvegas/mods/70905:nws:
Okay, how many parts of "Better Lore Friendly Dynamic Immersive Piss Factory Overhaul Project Redesigned Redux More Immersive Features Overhaul - The Frontier Edition" can we fit into the thread title?

Orv
May 4, 2011
That's clearly just Powerade.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

I suppose it does have electrolytes.

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

Donald John Trump (born June 14, 1946) is the 45th and current President of the United States. Before entering politics, he was a businessman and television personality.

Meme Poker Party posted:

This is a war crime and also hate crime.

On the road of the Courier if you meet your fetish, nuke your fetish.

bebaloorpabopalo
Nov 23, 2005

I'm not interested in constructive criticism, believe me.
https://twitter.com/seinfelddahog/status/1354562046575173634

drkeiscool
Aug 1, 2014
Soiled Meat
wait what

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

That sentence went to some wild places.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Max Coveri