Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Funky Valentine posted:

If I were making New Vegas I would do a complete rework on the companion quests, honestly. Like half of them require triggers that either don't work half the time or are so few in number that you can screw yourself out of the quest if you do too much.

Seriously. With the exception of Cass (have good karma) and Veronica (see a few landmarks), most of their triggers are unlikely to ever happen without using a walkthrough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Being obtuse and hard to find and progress down is actually consistent with companion quests in other Obsidian games.

Crazy Joe Wilson
Jul 4, 2007

Justifiably Mad!

Chamale posted:

Seriously. With the exception of Cass (have good karma) and Veronica (see a few landmarks), most of their triggers are unlikely to ever happen without using a walkthrough.

Boone and Arcade are easy; 4 of Boone's 5 trust points are all right next to Novac, and Arcade's quest automatically triggers after getting past a certain point in the story (killing House). E-DE triggers his just by completing major parts of the story, and Rex's is the most straight-forwarded, the entire quest points you in the right direction every time.

Raul's quest is the hardest, as you can lock yourself out of well before ever meeting him.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I dont think you can lock yourself out of Raul's quest unless you kill one of the old geezers he needs for inspiration.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Against All Tyrants

Ultra Carp

Arcsquad12 posted:

I dont think you can lock yourself out of Raul's quest unless you kill one of the old geezers he needs for inspiration.

IIRC the conversation with Ranger Andy you need for one of the quest triggers only happens the first time you meet him.

e: they may have patched this, though

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

The trigger with ranger andy is bugged on copies not using yup

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I mean you should be playing with YUP anyways.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

I wish there was a bit more to do involving the Super Mutants in NV. There's what, 4 quests involving them, not counting the unmarked ones? Take care of Black Mountain's radio signal, take care of the Nightkin in the basement, and 2 whole quests in Jacobstown. I understand that making them too central would've felt like rehashing Fallout 1 (and 3) but I really would've liked for there to be more to do in Jacobstown at least.

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line

Acebuckeye13 posted:

IIRC the conversation with Ranger Andy you need for one of the quest triggers only happens the first time you meet him.

e: they may have patched this, though

this isn't correct iirc (so they may have patched it, or maybe the unnofficial patch did)

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

The only mod I use is JSawyer, and I've never broken Raul's quest.

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

I have to go now. My planet needs me.
Right, so I just did the Railroad questline, and the Railway sure are characters in a game. They have character models and voice actors....and that's about it.

I'm still not sure what the point of synths are. Why create a race of machines that look identical to humans, when sentient robots are a part of the setting? Why do they have free will? Why is Elder Maxson so obsessed with them? If the Institute needed "unmutated DNA" to create synths, why not use everyone from Vault 111, instead of just murdering them for no reason? Why not just take DNA samples, or pay Vault 81 for them? Or why not just use the scientists who created the Institute? Surely they had unmutated DNA? Why are they making synth animals? Why do they let Father just declare some randomer leader of the Institute? Why are they replacing people with synth copies? Why don't these copies know they're synths? Why are they messing around with FEV? Why are snyths just hanging around Diamond City now?

Mr. Prokosch
Feb 14, 2012

Behold My Magnificence!

OldMemes posted:

Right, so I just did the Railroad questline, and the Railway sure are characters in a game. They have character models and voice actors....and that's about it.

I'm still not sure what the point of synths are. Why create a race of machines that look identical to humans, when sentient robots are a part of the setting? Why do they have free will? Why is Elder Maxson so obsessed with them? If the Institute needed "unmutated DNA" to create synths, why not use everyone from Vault 111, instead of just murdering them for no reason? Why not just take DNA samples, or pay Vault 81 for them? Or why not just use the scientists who created the Institute? Surely they had unmutated DNA? Why are they making synth animals? Why do they let Father just declare some randomer leader of the Institute? Why are they replacing people with synth copies? Why don't these copies know they're synths? Why are they messing around with FEV? Why are snyths just hanging around Diamond City now?

"You wouldn't understand."

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Against All Tyrants

Ultra Carp

OldMemes posted:

well you see the writers saw blade runner once and thought it seemed cool, and then didn't think through the rest

Lt. Danger
Dec 22, 2006

jolly good chaps we sure showed the hun

I did hear the Commonwealth was supposed to be more populated, but a lot of the NPC towns got cleared out to make way for the resettlement mechanic. doesn't explain the other issues but the Railroad/synth infiltration concept would have made more sense with more people and towns around

Mr. Prokosch
Feb 14, 2012

Behold My Magnificence!
They should have just dropped a line like:

"We have a five hundred year, 8,000,000 point plan to return the entire earth to a paradise. Our quantum computers assure us that these are the correct courses of action at this juncture. You don't understand it, that's fine. I don't truly understand it, no one alive has the capacity in our weak primate brains to grasp the Grand Plan in its entirety. To simply read it takes more than a lifetime. It depends on the collective work of thousands of the greatest minds of all mankind connected to vast computer banks of incredible power. We must trust the plan. Trust the power of our models. Without them humanity is doomed by our own flawed instincts."

That's basically "you wouldn't understand" but easier for the player to swallow, and brings up a more interesting tension between human intuition and the often unintuitive results produced by science, which I think would be neat for such a high tech but amoral and disconnected faction.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

Mr. Prokosch posted:

They should have just dropped a line like:

"We have a five hundred year, 8,000,000 point plan to return the entire earth to a paradise. Our quantum computers assure us that these are the correct courses of action at this juncture. You don't understand it, that's fine. I don't truly understand it, no one alive has the capacity in our weak primate brains to grasp the Grand Plan in its entirety. To simply read it takes more than a lifetime. It depends on the collective work of thousands of the greatest minds of all mankind connected to vast computer banks of incredible power. We must trust the plan. Trust the power of our models. Without them humanity is doomed by our own flawed instincts."

That's basically "you wouldn't understand" but easier for the player to swallow, and brings up a more interesting tension between human intuition and the often unintuitive results produced by science, which I think would be neat for such a high tech but amoral and disconnected faction.

Just go full South Park instead.

Phase 1: Synths
Phase 2: ?
Phase 3: Profit

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

OldMemes posted:

Why are they making synth animals?
I think this one is literally "cause they wanna". Doesn't one of the other named scientists poo poo-talk the synth gorillas and the scientist who makes them for being completely useless?

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Strictly speaking if you have the capacity to make robot gorillas it would be completely immoral not to make robot gorillas.

dracula vladdy AF
May 6, 2011
If Follows-Chalk decides to go and explore the world at large, the ending slide is meant to imply that he just never went back home after, yeah? Specifically it says he was never seen again, but doesn't clarify whether that is in relation to his tribe or more genrally. If the fella left and just kind of died that would be a huge bummer.

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line
That's all you get, make if it what you will

Crazy Joe Wilson
Jul 4, 2007

Justifiably Mad!
Don't know if most people in this thread are aware of this or not, but the Fallout minis game by Modiphilius is going to cover New Vegas this year.

https://www.reddit.com/r/wastelandwarfare/comments/k8kgk8/new_vegas_fww_starter_packs_sneak_peek/

https://www.modiphius.net/blogs/news/ncr-casers-legion-lead-2020-expansions-for-fallout-wasteland-warfare

Can't wait to see the Courier model.

Proletarian Mango
May 21, 2011

Is that game actually any good

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Acebuckeye13 posted:

well you see the writers saw blade runner once and thought it seemed cool, and then didn't think through the rest

Yeah, you shoulda been a synth copy created by the Institute and gradually discovering most of your memories were lies. Go full Blade Runner if you're gonna go full Blade Runner.

Crazy Joe Wilson
Jul 4, 2007

Justifiably Mad!

Proletarian Mango posted:

Is that game actually any good

I bought the starter and I hear from people in the community that it is pretty fun. A lot of them only play the Settlement/Narrative mode, where you use AI cards to fight against other creatures, and event cards to determine what's happening to the settlement you're building.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

ulmont posted:

Yeah, you shoulda been a synth copy created by the Institute and gradually discovering most of your memories were lies. Go full Blade Runner if you're gonna go full Blade Runner.

Ridley Scott is that you.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Yeah the Institute and the Railroad are written nonsensically none of their actions make sense.

The BoS in 4 are rascist kinda fascist assholes but like. Their behaviour at least makes sense given their beliefs and you can see how they got those beliefs. So they work as an evil faction kind of.

ulmont posted:

Fallout 4 has a lot of problems, but writing wise the largest sin might be wasting both the idea of synths by not doing something like this AND wasting the cryogenic pre-war popsicle protagonist story they did go with.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

https://twitter.com/ABrut_us/status/1354490051745476609?s=20

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

What's really weird is that Fallout 3 actually set up the Institute and synths way ahead of time, so you'd think they would've thought through their plan more.

Or maybe they second-guessed their plan or the guy with the plan left the company and nobody really understood his notes.

Ridiculous. Anachronistic. Why would the same military force be using both the Nazi Luger and the Soviet PPSh-4.

Baller Time
Apr 22, 2014

by Azathoth

That brought a scene from an Italian WW1 movie back to my mind

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jFXLO4dSWI8&t=3330s

[55:30]

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

German captures converted to 9x19 Para. :smug:

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Crazy Joe Wilson posted:

I bought the starter and I hear from people in the community that it is pretty fun. A lot of them only play the Settlement/Narrative mode, where you use AI cards to fight against other creatures, and event cards to determine what's happening to the settlement you're building.

Holy poo poo, that sounds actually cool.

Let's play a game: New Vegas, or 40K? :v:

A Sometimes Food posted:

wasting the cryogenic pre-war popsicle protagonist story they did go with.

Yeah, same, unfortunately.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Against All Tyrants

Ultra Carp

A Sometimes Food posted:

Fallout 4 has a lot of problems, but writing wise the largest sin might be wasting both the idea of synths by not doing something like this AND wasting the cryogenic pre-war popsicle protagonist story they did go with.

Bethesda has a really bad habit of coming up with interesting and cool ideas as part of the backdrop for their games and then not doing anything with them. Fallout 4 is especially egregious, but Skyrim suffers from a lot of the same problems—just look at how the Civil War, Main Quest, and Blades questlines are resolved.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
Days before Fallout 4 came out there was a fake leak where someone claimed you would come from a cloning vault, and the reason it was 200 years later was that you were just the latest in a long line of clones of the starting guy whose DNA got scanned when he got frozen, and it keeps making new clones and sending them out to see how the same person would respond to different circumstances. It was such an incredible idea that I was sorely disappointed when it turned out to be completely made up. If I made an RPG that's totally the story it would have

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

2house2fly posted:

Days before Fallout 4 came out there was a fake leak where someone claimed you would come from a cloning vault, and the reason it was 200 years later was that you were just the latest in a long line of clones of the starting guy whose DNA got scanned when he got frozen, and it keeps making new clones and sending them out to see how the same person would respond to different circumstances. It was such an incredible idea that I was sorely disappointed when it turned out to be completely made up. If I made an RPG that's totally the story it would have

That's the Gary Vault.

Which would make the most of having a voice-acted PC.

VaultAggie
Nov 18, 2010

Best out of 71?

Crazy Joe Wilson posted:

Don't know if most people in this thread are aware of this or not, but the Fallout minis game by Modiphilius is going to cover New Vegas this year.

https://www.reddit.com/r/wastelandwarfare/comments/k8kgk8/new_vegas_fww_starter_packs_sneak_peek/

https://www.modiphius.net/blogs/news/ncr-casers-legion-lead-2020-expansions-for-fallout-wasteland-warfare

Can't wait to see the Courier model.

This isn’t their 2d20 system, is it? I’ve been waiting forever for that to come out post-beta.

Crazy Joe Wilson
Jul 4, 2007

Justifiably Mad!

VaultAggie posted:

This isn’t their 2d20 system, is it? I’ve been waiting forever for that to come out post-beta.

The game uses a 1D20 as you play, and they do have an RPG module, I'm not sure though exactly. This game's been out and been played for the last 2 years.

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

I have to go now. My planet needs me.
I know Fallout 2 kinda blurred the lines between what was meant to be wacky side jokes and canon a lot, but clones don't feel like they fit the Fallout universe, either Gary or synth.

Objectively the NCR have achieved more than the Institute. Sure, they have a teleporter and robot clones, but don't use them for anything. The NCR is a functioning democratic state that actually does useful stuff with science. So long as they use the Vault 22 notes as a warning, not a how to guide.

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

I think Liberty Prime is the height of what technology should have been for the Fallout world. Clones, Synths, teleportation...it just doesn't feel right.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Fallout 1 mentions that reel-to-reel computers were top of the line and holotapes had whole kilobytes of storage, so yeah, pretty dumb.

Bethesda doesn't know any of this, of course.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

loving Bethesda, leaving societies in stasis for 200 years.

loving Bethesda, not leaving technology in stasis for 200 years.