Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Warthur posted:

The problem with the shade CR is that CR tries to present a mathematical assessment of danger, but the incorporeality aspect of shades in 3.0 (I can only find this aspect of them in the 3.0 SRD, not the 3.5 one) is not easy to numerically weigh because it depends a lot on party makeup and magic items obtained, the former of which is theoretically for the players to choose and the latter of which is random.

It shouldn't trouble most 3rd level parties because most 3rd level parties will have some flavour of offensive magic to hand - but if the spellcasters chose unfortunately when memorising spells or got unlucky on them, and you've hit 3rd level without finding +1 weapons, then...

What D&D really wants isn't CRs so much as CRs-with-caveats: do the math, assign the number, but flag it somehow if the absence of particular abilities or items will make an encounter unduly difficult. So you'd note down the shade CR not as 3, but 3-i - the "i" indicating incorporeality, so if your party can't hit incorporeal things you know not to bother looking up anything with an "i" code unless you specifically want to turbofuck them or throw in a problem they need to go find suitable magic to face down.

Yeah the thing is I don't even think the Shade is well balanced if you only take PC parties into account, ignoring stuff like shadepocalypse speculation. Another example of this is 5E's Intellect Devourer which I'm sure plenty of people argue is well balanced when going up against player characters and not random peasant NPCs except it sure doesn't seem to be judging by the number of "yeah I got instantly killed by an Intellect Devourer with an effect that requires high-level magic to fix" stories out there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

i'm a little more lenient about CR than 3.5's other various design failures because, like, i can think of maybe one or two TTRPGs literally ever that get encounter budgeting right and aren't direct descendants or retroclones of D&D 4E

it doesn't seem like it should be an intractable problem -- in a lot of these systems you can practically express it as pure math -- and yet...

the problem with CR is precisely that there are a number of effects in the game that cannot be expressed as pure math

a long time ago I tried to create baseline/templated monster stats against PCs, and I figured that the most mathematically predictable PC type was a Champion Fighter, so I went with that, and if all you're measuring is the PC's attack roll bonus, damage rolls, AC, and health, it's very easy to reverse engineer what the monster's AC "should" be as it's being attacked by the Fighter, and what the monster's HP "should" be so that it dies in four (or five or six) hits, and what the monster's own attack and damage should be relative to what you can expect a PC to have, and so on.

and you can do this for every level of the PC, since you also know exactly what a PC is gaining every time they level up

the problem is that a level 10, or 15, or 20 Fighter's capabilities are so much more predictable than a level 10, or 15, or 20 Wizard's capabilities, and if the latter is capable of [waves hands at the entire spellcasting chapter], how do you quantify that?

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
I'm not sure if this belongs in the 40K thread, this thread, or the scam thread.

This escalated quickly: tl;dr: Scammer tries to scam ranking points(!) and maybe prizes from Australia ITC. Yells racism when caught.

quote:

Aushammer - Australian Wargaming

A bit of ugliness has reared its head in the Australian wargaming scene recently, we are putting these here in the hope that this story gains more exposure.
The below information was posted by Joshua Diffey to the Australian 40k ITC page in a effort to clear up some misunderstandings that have been floating around.

"So a weird set of events has taken place in the last 2-3 days, and the only reason I am making it public is because a number of lies were spread to a number of parties, not all of them known.

I unfortunately will not be naming the person behind these acts at this time due to legal reasons that I cannot go into at this moment. Those with knowledge of who this is I would appreciate you not naming them directly also.

A fake account by the name of Roger Miller was created or more accurately renamed from another fake account which is how he got caught. This fake account created a number of events in the Northern Territory in a rural Aboriginal community called Mutitjulu. This person impersonated more than 60 additional people, with the idea that it would be impossible to verify, as the community had little to no connectivity (internet or cell towers) and it was not surprising that members of this community would not be on social media.
Multiple members of the community reached out to me as the Australian ITC Representative, asking for me to look into it, providing information such as but not limited to:

- A link to a site which is used for fiction writers containing fictional aboriginal names, and the fakes players were almost if not entirely on this list.
- Providing information such as the population size of this community, and the unlikely event that a population of less than 300 would have a 40k event of 60+ players.

I was able to confer that every single player with the exception of one was whats referred to as an Inactive BCP account within Best Coast Pairings. This means the account was created with an upload or by a TO (both very common), and so the account was there, assigned to an email, but the owner had never logged in.

The one account that was not an inactive account was the player that allegedly won every single one of these events.
With the information provided I rejected the previously approved tokens, and requested more information from Roger Miller. I am providing a screenshot of the email below. In addition I emailed the alleged winner of each of these events informing them the same thing, and appologising in advance if this turned out to be a misunderstanding. Roger Miller and the winner did not reply.

Everything up to this point is actually relatively normal. Some events are hard to verify, then information is provided, and its all corrected. But this is where it went completely off the rails.

Roger then proceeded to contact both Best Coast Pairings, Frontline Gaming and Games Workshop Australia, claiming that I was, BCP were, and FLG/ITC were racist people/organisations for discriminating against an Aboriginal community. As part of that communication he asked for me to be removed as ITC Rep and "punished".

BCP replied to Roger informing him that they simply are the technology behind the ITC, they do not administer it, and to please contact FLG.

FLG requested proof of venue, and proof of identity, and if these were provided then they would look into correcting the issue. No response was provided, but instead the Roger Miller facebook account was deleted.

The venue for which all of these fake events took place was contacted, and they informed us no such events ever took place. And to follow up the most common question I have had about this line of enquiry, there is no other venue it could have been.
How this person got caught is not a very difficult one to explain, they simply got caught up in their own lies. Roger Miller claimed he did not know anyone in the "big states/cities", he did not know me, and that he was new to the ITC. 2 of these were very easy to verify as false, and once they were the 3rd was also obviously a lie.

1. The facebook account he had (he has now deleted it) has posts going back to 2019, posting events, ITC events, in NSW and ACT.
2. A screenshot from a private facebook group was provided, where it showd him posting ITC club rankings. This club had no knowledge of a Roger Miller, and through process of elimination was able to let us know who the actual user behind that renamed facebook account was.

It should go without saying, but I will say it regardless, Best Coast Pairings, Frontline Gaming and myself do not stand for, nor condone any form of racism or discrimination."

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Warthur posted:

The problem with the shade CR is that CR tries to present a mathematical assessment of danger, but the incorporeality aspect of shades in 3.0 (I can only find this aspect of them in the 3.0 SRD, not the 3.5 one) is not easy to numerically weigh because it depends a lot on party makeup and magic items obtained, the former of which is theoretically for the players to choose and the latter of which is random.

https://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/shadow.htm

It's in the subtypes and the special qualities (from the subtype)

Also they're not shades, shades are a spell/a specific FR monster in 3e.

KingKalamari
Aug 24, 2007

Fuzzy dice, bongos in the back
My ship of love is ready to attack

Arivia posted:

https://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/shadow.htm

It's in the subtypes and the special qualities (from the subtype)

Also they're not shades, shades are a spell/a specific FR monster in 3e.

But that's not really what we're talking about : You can get information on everything a monster can do by looking at its stat block, but we're talking about the CR system, which is supposed to be a quick, at-a-glance indicator of how challenging a monster is in battle. You're supposed to be able to look at the CR and get an idea of how tough a fight this monster will be without looking at its stat block. And, of course, that doesn't solve the problem gradenko brought up that monster design in most editions of D&D (Especially 3rd) is a weird mixture of mechanical and narrative abilities that aren't always in sync

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013
Pathfinder 2e does relatively well at the CR thing (barring janky stuff in the first adventure books finished before they finalized the core rules) by doing basically the same thing D&D 4e did, where creature level determines the acceptable range for its stats and bonuses to things, rather than the D&D 3.x and 5e 'come up with a monster and then try to eyeball a CR for it'.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

KingKalamari posted:

But that's not really what we're talking about : You can get information on everything a monster can do by looking at its stat block, but we're talking about the CR system, which is supposed to be a quick, at-a-glance indicator of how challenging a monster is in battle. You're supposed to be able to look at the CR and get an idea of how tough a fight this monster will be without looking at its stat block. And, of course, that doesn't solve the problem gradenko brought up that monster design in most editions of D&D (Especially 3rd) is a weird mixture of mechanical and narrative abilities that aren't always in sync

I was just responding to the specific quoted comment where Warthur said they couldn't find the 3.5 shadow listed as incorporeal. I linked their stat block and explained where incorporeal is mentioned in it, and also noted that a shade is a different monster with different statistics in 3e, which is what is being discussed.

I'm not defending CR at all.

Eastmabl
Jan 29, 2019

Roadie posted:

Pathfinder 2e does relatively well at the CR thing (barring janky stuff in the first adventure books finished before they finalized the core rules) by doing basically the same thing D&D 4e did, where creature level determines the acceptable range for its stats and bonuses to things, rather than the D&D 3.x and 5e 'come up with a monster and then try to eyeball a CR for it'.

13th Age also does CR well with a similar approach. The system also tacks on some other nuances with the monster type and optimal moves.

In the end, it's still a Bull poo poo approximation for new monsters. But I can articulate the bull poo poo better.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

I can deal with a system whose encounter math is basically the shrug emoji, I grew up with 2e D&D’s tummy-feels and wing it. But if you’re going to give me a number I want it to relate to something, anything, and not be like dress sizes where it’s a 3 ??? (kilojoules? acres? hands? nanometers per second? pounds sterling?).

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
The problem, with 5e reintroduced, is "tradition" requires these monsters have abilities that don't fit on any scale and can just instantly neutralize a PC or require some special weapon/defense and it only works if you put them in the right context and give the players some way of anticipating that there's gonna be a medusa ahead, etc.

4e only made it work because they made sure those abilities were scaled, there was no "you need a +1 weapon or better" bullshit, etc.

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Higgledy-Piggledy Whale Statements

Maxwell Lord posted:

The problem, with 5e reintroduced, is "tradition" requires these monsters have abilities that don't fit on any scale and can just instantly neutralize a PC or require some special weapon/defense and it only works if you put them in the right context and give the players some way of anticipating that there's gonna be a medusa ahead, etc.

4e only made it work because they made sure those abilities were scaled, there was no "you need a +1 weapon or better" bullshit, etc.

I once saw the suggestion that you could make those abilities work like Dark Souls status effects - they build up a meter which ends with the status effect, so you can have a weak gorgon that petrifies much less efficiently than a powerful one.

It'll never happen but it's a cool solution!

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Maxwell Lord posted:

By which you mean 4e vaguely flirted with good game-design, maybe they made out at a party once.

I love 4e, with all it's feat-bloated warts, but it god drat tried so I want to give it credit for that.

I will never not get angry at someone trying to sell me a book and then I'm the bad guy cause I remember middle school math and can snap it over my knee. I'm not being some weirdo number-wonk! I'm using the same basic math and critical thinking I use every day!

If a crunchy RPG that could bother to make it so I can't make something loving broken at character creation came out, I'd be so down. But until then I'll just do narrative systems cause gently caress that.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

Joe Slowboat posted:

I once saw the suggestion that you could make those abilities work like Dark Souls status effects - they build up a meter which ends with the status effect, so you can have a weak gorgon that petrifies much less efficiently than a powerful one.

PF 2e does a thing here that plays into its multiple degrees of success, where any "Incapacitation"-trait ability used against a creature of the same level or higher has the end result downgraded by one step. This works fairly well to let casters dunk on minions while preventing instant loss both ways with equal-level midboss enemies. It still leaves the hole for higher-level enemies to screw with PCs, but it's also very up front that even a single level+1 creature is boss fight territory.

Xiahou Dun posted:

If a crunchy RPG that could bother to make it so I can't make something loving broken at character creation came out, I'd be so down. But until then I'll just do narrative systems cause gently caress that.

I'll mention PF 2e here again. The closest thing to 'broken' at the moment is the gnome flickmace fighter meme build, and even that about maxes out at triplocking a single enemy at a time. It's even avoided the need for math fix feat taxes aside from the somewhat undertuned alchemist class, which already got some aggressive errata rewriting on that front.

Roadie fucked around with this message at 08:56 on Jan 27, 2021

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Xiahou Dun posted:

Extend that to encounter creation and it'd be a game I would run forever.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

I weren't speaking to a game in specific just the community as a whole and I get real mad at the idea I'm some kind of power gamer who's looking for secret hacks by knowing how addition works.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

Xiahou Dun posted:

I weren't speaking to a game in specific just the community as a whole and I get real mad at the idea I'm some kind of power gamer who's looking for secret hacks by knowing how addition works.

You should have seen how mad the Exalted community got at Jon Chung, for years, for pointing out that the Exalted 2e system as written would eventually instantly kill most PCs who didn't have a specific defensive build.

thefakenews
Oct 20, 2012

Joe Slowboat posted:

This is pretty much how 4E did it, except using saving throws against progressively worse conditions (slowed, immobilised, petrified) instead of a numerical meter.

It even modelled how strong the effect was by the use of different condition progressions. A basilisk made you go through a progression of conditions as you failed saves, whereas a medusa petrified you straight away and the saves were used to see if the effect became permanent.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Xiahou Dun posted:

I can deal with a system whose encounter math is basically the shrug emoji, I grew up with 2e D&D’s tummy-feels and wing it. But if you’re going to give me a number I want it to relate to something, anything, and not be like dress sizes where it’s a 3 ??? (kilojoules? acres? hands? nanometers per second? pounds sterling?).

That’s the exact problem though. 3.5’s CR does actually have a meaning - it’s roughly a classification of Hit Dice and special abilities to level of difficulty. The tough thing is that it doesn’t have a check for how good those special abilities are or a great sense of them correlating to average party level. It’s halfway there?

Until very late in 3e (the PHB2? Definitely the Magic Item Compendium) you don’t have a list of what a character should have in terms of magic items at a given level (a prescriptive one that says you get a +1 weapon now). There are ways for lower level or same level parties to destroy shadows but they aren’t guaranteed to be something every party does have (magic missile, turn undead, healing spells).

And there’s not a specific cut out in 3.5’s monster math saying incorporeal monsters are 1 CR higher, only appear at level 5+, etc. The shadow is the specific meme example of this system not working, same as intellect devourers are in 5e. But it does at least have a system in the first place.

CR does mean something in 3.5 but it’s solely just a formula based off of Hit Dice and creature type. It’s the other parts you still need to look at, which mean you can’t just drop it in for nothing.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

So it's a made up garbage number that has the exact same success.

And I'd least like to not be lied to.

If the number doesn't actually help me run a game, then it's a bullshit number and I don't care.

If you want to give thirty dollars a month I can give you a random dice. I'll even do it from literally any computer that will try to spit out a random time.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

Xiahou Dun posted:

By which you mean 4e vaguely flirted with good game-design, maybe they made out at a party once.

I love 4e, with all it's feat-bloated warts, but it god drat tried so I want to give it credit for that.

I will never not get angry at someone trying to sell me a book and then I'm the bad guy cause I remember middle school math and can snap it over my knee. I'm not being some weirdo number-wonk! I'm using the same basic math and critical thinking I use every day!

I mean on this score they succeeded pretty well- there's nothing in the Monster Manuals that's way over-levelled or under-levelled because even the pre-MM3 monsters are built on a scale. The problem was with specific numbers, HP, defenses, etc.

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Higgledy-Piggledy Whale Statements

Roadie posted:

You should have seen how mad the Exalted community got at Jon Chung, for years, for pointing out that the Exalted 2e system as written would eventually instantly kill most PCs who didn't have a specific defensive build.

To be fair, this logic also got extended to NPCs in the name of simulationism - and you only really needed a 'paranoia combo' against someone else with a paranoia combo (or similar multi-filter instant death weapons).

Now, that didn't mean the system was fine, it was riddled with holes you could drive a yeddim through, but the way Paranoia Combat caught on was not improving the game or helping make homebrew fixes, just using the broken system to make ever more broken builds.

The initial discovery of paranoia combos should have inspired everyone to go 'well that's hosed, we need to change how this works' instead of variously denying it was real or finding a way to exploit it to the utmost.

E: The real issue that Chung identified in the previous edition of Exalted was simple: If your attack costs more to launch than to instantly and flawlessly cancel it, the attack loses ground. So you want to get perfect defenses and a weapon that will likely kill anyone you hit with it, and then do boring standard attacks and protect yourself with perfect defenses. Once you do that, you start building a 'paranoia combo' that builds from there which make the whole scenario more efficient and make it even more true that doing anything flashy was a bad idea.

Joe Slowboat fucked around with this message at 04:43 on Jan 28, 2021

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

dwarf74 posted:

Well you see 7th Sea 2e - uhm

7th Sea 2e was a failure on so many levels.

It didn't even produce a playable game, although I'm rather selfishly glad to have gotten PDF copies of all my old 1e books for cheap.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

Liquid Communism posted:

7th Sea 2e was a failure on so many levels.

It didn't even produce a playable game, although I'm rather selfishly glad to have gotten PDF copies of all my old 1e books for cheap.

I did like a lot of the fluff writing and the setting and appreciated that it's inclusive as all get out.

But the system is just a trash fire and I don't know how they thought they were gonna make money with that business plan.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Xiahou Dun posted:

I did like a lot of the fluff writing and the setting and appreciated that it's inclusive as all get out.

But the system is just a trash fire and I don't know how they thought they were gonna make money with that business plan.

What happened with 7th Sea 2e's business model? And what was up with the system?

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

Omnicrom posted:

What happened with 7th Sea 2e's business model? And what was up with the system?

I’d have to refresh my knowledge to explain in full, but the Kickstarter basically was pay X once and get infinite books. Which leads to great initial hype but tanks revenue long term. (Possibly loving that up but it’s the gist to my knowledge.)

And the system was Shadowrun 6 levels of not even functioning at all ever. I wanted to like it but at no point did it ever work even a bit. It’s straight up unplayable.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

7th Sea 2 sold their books for super cheap but the books themselves were poo poo so it was a scenario where nobody won. Unless you like 7th Sea lore I guess.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Xiahou Dun posted:

I’d have to refresh my knowledge to explain in full, but the Kickstarter basically was pay X once and get infinite books. Which leads to great initial hype but tanks revenue long term. (Possibly loving that up but it’s the gist to my knowledge.)

And the system was Shadowrun 6 levels of not even functioning at all ever. I wanted to like it but at no point did it ever work even a bit. It’s straight up unplayable.

The pledge that broke them was this:

Kickstarter posted:

Pledge US$ 40 or more
SCHOLAR!

You receive PDFs of ALL stretch goals we unlock through this campaign including PDFs for ALL 1ST EDITION 7TH SEA BOOKS! This is a limited-time offer that will not be available after the Kickstarter closes (retail $350+). If you’re looking to complete your 7th Sea collection on PDF, this is the pledge level for you.

✵ 7th Sea: Second Edition PDF
✵ 7th Sea: The New World PDF
✵ All PDF stretch goals
✵ Entire Collection of First Edition PDFs

That's the main book and all the splatbook PDFs generated by the KS for $40, plus all the 1e pdfs.

Yeah. Duelists are the big thing for me. You know, the iconic thing in a swashbuckling game.

They made them use an entirely different combat system that plays resource management games with turns, and ends up in a situation where if you lose the first round of a duel you inevitably death spiral. While still being exponentially more efficient at combat than a non-duelist.

Meanwhile a couple of non-duelists with a brace of pistols each can just x out a major villain in a round.

Laying out all the math on it is exhausting, but there's a good rundown here: https://www.7thsea2e.com/port/forum/duelists-problems-and-solutions

Falstaff
Apr 27, 2008

I have a kind of alacrity in sinking.

Has John Wick ever created a functional game on his lonesome? I remember getting frustrated at a number of points of utter incoherence in Houses of the Blooded and eventually just walking away from a game mid-campaign. He seems to just view games rules as "good enough" when they work in his head and then never examines or stress tests them in any meaningful way.

Which is fine if you're writing games for yourself and your friends, but not a great idea when you're putting yourself up as a game auteur who putting out products for sale.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Made worse in this case that he rushed to print to hit GenCon for no particular reason, so didn't playtest -anything- and was missing basic rules for this sort of game like 'how do ships work'.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Joe Slowboat posted:

To be fair, this logic also got extended to NPCs in the name of simulationism - and you only really needed a 'paranoia combo' against someone else with a paranoia combo (or similar multi-filter instant death weapons).

Now, that didn't mean the system was fine, it was riddled with holes you could drive a yeddim through, but the way Paranoia Combat caught on was not improving the game or helping make homebrew fixes, just using the broken system to make ever more broken builds.

The initial discovery of paranoia combos should have inspired everyone to go 'well that's hosed, we need to change how this works' instead of variously denying it was real or finding a way to exploit it to the utmost.

E: The real issue that Chung identified in the previous edition of Exalted was simple: If your attack costs more to launch than to instantly and flawlessly cancel it, the attack loses ground. So you want to get perfect defenses and a weapon that will likely kill anyone you hit with it, and then do boring standard attacks and protect yourself with perfect defenses. Once you do that, you start building a 'paranoia combo' that builds from there which make the whole scenario more efficient and make it even more true that doing anything flashy was a bad idea.
To my understanding, part of the issue was "a weapon that will likely kill anyone you hit with it" was actually pretty easy to get, since you started with the same old seven Storyteller System health levels, and scaling that up was a big investment that took away from "actually doing things" and had lovely returns.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
I mean, even to get to problems with duelists, the rest of 7s2e needs to be playable or make any sense at all. It doesn't even get that far, imo

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

I played 7th Sea 2nd edition for about a year and a half, and while the system wasn't great it was pretty interesting. Combat works a lot better if you just use the same system as all the other systems in the game. Not great, but better. As someone who played a fun game of 7th Sea don't play 7th Sea.

Hacking out the combat system in a game of swashbuckling adventure is peak :shepicide:

Honestly, good on John Wick for totally bamboozling Chaosium into taking on the insane burden of finishing the 7th Sea books they don't have money for, as well as an entire other game line set in Not Asia. All while all the biggest fans have already payed for all of it as well as abandoning the game totally. Even at its initial wave of hype on release before reality set in the game didn't have any interest beyond backers.

Whybird
Aug 2, 2009

Phaiston have long avoided the tightly competetive defence sector, but the IRDA Act 2052 has given us the freedom we need to bring out something really special.

https://team-robostar.itch.io/robostar

Nap Ghost

Liquid Communism posted:

The pledge that broke them was this:

That's the main book and all the splatbook PDFs generated by the KS for $40, plus all the 1e pdfs.

Ah, but you see a competent crowdfunder will know when to ignore pledges as written.

GimpInBlack
Sep 27, 2012

That's right, kids, take lots of drugs, leave the universe behind, and pilot Enlightenment Voltron out into the cosmos to meet Alien Jesus.

Lord_Hambrose posted:

I played 7th Sea 2nd edition for about a year and a half, and while the system wasn't great it was pretty interesting. Combat works a lot better if you just use the same system as all the other systems in the game. Not great, but better. As someone who played a fun game of 7th Sea don't play 7th Sea.

Hacking out the combat system in a game of swashbuckling adventure is peak :shepicide:

My quick and dirty "fix" for 7th Sea 2E is as follows:
  • Rename "Wounds" and "Dramatic Wounds" to "Stress" and "Trauma;" they represent your general ability to stay in the scene.
  • All conflicts follow the same structure as Action Scenes. Substitute Approaches as appropriate for things like social conflicts, or mix and match. A well-timed quip is just as devastating as a handspan of steel in the shoulder.
  • Cut the maneuver system altogether, it's garbage. Duelist schools are just the special benefit, and all can only be used once per round. This requires some creative adjudication since some of the special abilities directly interact with the maneuver system, and probably a reduction in price of the Duelist quality.
  • The "Automatic Dramatic Wound (i.e. Trauma) from guns" rule only applies to the first such attack against a character in the scene.
  • Optional, if you want brute squads to be less threatening: When players attack a brute squad, the first Raise spent inflicts (Approach Skill) stress.
  • Optional, if you want villains to be more threatening: In specific arenas appropriate to the villain, the first Raise spent to inflict Stress against a PC inflicts (Strength/2) Stress

GreenMetalSun
Oct 12, 2012

Zereth posted:

To my understanding, part of the issue was "a weapon that will likely kill anyone you hit with it" was actually pretty easy to get, since you started with the same old seven Storyteller System health levels, and scaling that up was a big investment that took away from "actually doing things" and had lovely returns.

Pretty much any artifact weapon would instantly turn a PC into hamburger if a hit connected. They're very easy to access at character creation.

Another part of the issue was that it's not like this is some pun-pun esoteric build that grabs thing piecemeal from dozens of different supplements and involves abstract, high-level understanding of the system or loose interpretations of the rules. This is a a starting character literally looking at the source material and corebook being like, 'Cool! I want to be an Invincible Sword Princess!' and/or the GM being like, 'The other character attacks you with his magical sword'.

'It's easier to defend than attack, so turtle while throwing out as many lethal attacks as possible' is not a super hard concept to grasp. 3E sorta tried to fix this by making your initiative your hit points, but I admit I haven't run it, it seems like a nightmare to track.

LatwPIAT
Jun 6, 2011

Zereth posted:

It was a horribly multifaceted problem. Firstly, the fiction of Exalted meant that it was presented as likely that player characters would run into, with some frequency, enemies like Dragonblooded Exalted armed with Grand Goremauls. Which was an enemy-weapon combination that could kill a standard PC in one blow - and if the blow connected but didn’t kill, chances were the PC would end up with a nasty penalty to their defenses, greatly increasing the chance of being turned to a thin paste the next time the enemy NPC attacks.

Additionally, poisoned weapons—a thing in the setting’s fiction that a PC could reasonably be expected to encounter—were likewise so deadly that even being nicked by a weak weapon could be a serious threat to a standard PC.

There was also something about rapidly stacking multi-defense penalties that meant facing multiple enemies at once was really, really nasty.

This meant that for a PC to have a reasonable chance of survival in an encounter with enemies the fiction presented as what you should be doing, you needed a way to just no-sell any attack aimed at you. Importantly, you needed to be able to no-sell all of them, because if you met anyone with a powerful attack, or a poisoned weapon, or the ability to gang up on you, there was a serious chance any attack they made would cut you into thin strips of Exalt-kebab.

On top of this, surprise attacks could bypass your ability to activate your no-sell ability at all, so if, in a setting inspired by fantasy novels where assassins can be hired off any street corner, your ST found it reasonable to have you encounter an assassin, rogue, or even an unexpected brigand losing arrows from behind a bush, you could be turned into a very dead pincushion in an instant. Luckily, there was a thing termed a “surprise negator”, which allowed you to never be weak to suprises.

So what you had to do to have a better than 50/50 chance of not dying in a combat encounter the fiction of Exalted expected you to have was to, every turn of combat, activate a surprise-negator and a no-sell defense. This combination was called a “paranoia combo”.

This was expensive, and could only be done/could be done cheapest by spending Willpower points, which was also the currency you used to activate your other cool abilities. Which resulted in a tension where, in an incredibly deadly game, using cool abilities cut deeply into your not-dying-reserves.

Houseruling the problems away was, of course, also a solution—but houseruling away a multifaceted problem like this is pretty difficult, and the simple solution (enemies don’t gang up, don’t ambush, don’t use poison, and only have weak attacks that can’t kill you in a single hit) was rarely going to be satisfying because of how much of the setting’s fiction it invalidates.

40 Proof Listerine
Jul 1, 2007

Baroness Kanan-Zelaya of the minor House of Carbon

Liquid Communism posted:

Meanwhile a couple of non-duelists with a brace of pistols each can just x out a major villain in a round.
This rules and completely syncs with the narrative of bringing a gun a shitload of guns to a knife fight

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Liquid Communism posted:

$310 worth of product* for free. This is why I didn't balk when TORG Eternity's all PDF level went to $80.

*Not, you know, good product but product. And the art was top notch and couldn't have been cheap.

Stephenls
Feb 21, 2013
[REDACTED]

LatwPIAT posted:

Houseruling the problems away was, of course, also a solution—but houseruling away a multifaceted problem like this is pretty difficult, and the simple solution (enemies don’t gang up, don’t ambush, don’t use poison, and only have weak attacks that can’t kill you in a single hit) was rarely going to be satisfying because of how much of the setting’s fiction it invalidates.

There was the additional problem that houseruling itself was deeply difficult, with the obvious, simple houserules inevitably breaking things elsewhere. "Don't touch perfects until you address lethality" was a catchphrase on the Exalted forum for most of 2e.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GreenMetalSun
Oct 12, 2012

LatwPIAT posted:

It was a horribly multifaceted problem.

There were so many levels to it too!

Exalted basically has five character classes, Fighter, Cleric, Wizard, Rogue, and Diplomat, and each class sort of has it's own special thing. In particular, the Wizard 'special thing' was a shield you activate to negate damage. It actually makes perfect sense from a thematic point of view, since taking damage would interrupt spellcasting, but because of the way the shield interacted with the rules, it was better to allow weak enemies to hit you, negate the damage, then turn on one of your various 'fueled by pain' powers to recoup resources for your 'not-dying' combo.

...which had the net effect of making it so that if you wanted to be the best fighter, you played a wizard.