Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 216 days!

pentyne posted:

There's at least one story where everyone thinks that and then through circumstance his mask falls off and he's ranting about ugly and disfigured from what Reed did and everyone kind of states as he looks totally normal.

this is really funny if you read it as a metaphor for internalized american propaganda

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bro Dad
Mar 26, 2010

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 216 days!

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo
Dr. Doom would be the least bad U.S. president in history by an impossible margin.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 216 days!

Tubgoat posted:

Dr. Doom would be the least bad U.S. president in history by an impossible margin.

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo
I'm pretty tired of people referring to the aristocracy as "mankind," though, and acting like their victims have any agency to defend themselves.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 216 days!

Tubgoat posted:

I'm pretty tired of people referring to the aristocracy as "mankind," though, and acting like their victims have any agency to defend themselves.

the aristocrats are richards and t'challa

doom is saying this to t'challa's god

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo

Hodgepodge posted:

the aristocrats are richards and t'challa

doom is saying this to t'challa's god

Nice. But I mean the real-world ones who organised the atrocities shown on that page.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 216 days!

Tubgoat posted:

Nice. But I mean the real-world ones who organised the atrocities shown on that page.

true but dr. doom is not a real person either and comics are just made up crap

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo

Hodgepodge posted:

true but dr. doom is not a real person either and comics are just made up crap

Yeah I know.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 216 days!

Tubgoat posted:

Yeah I know.

ngl it kind of sucks

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

Tubgoat posted:

They're all bad op, some just have the bad luck to be bad and powerless.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 216 days!

General Dog posted:

They're all bad op, some just have the bad luck to be bad and powerless.

generally agreed upon: aristocrats were the lowest poo poo, the worst of humanity

liberals want to lift humanity up to the level of the aristocracy
fascists want to kill humanity for not being lifted up and create a perfect species of aristocrats
communists would like there to be no further aristocrats so we can be (trans)human regardless of whether or not we are poo poo

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

Hodgepodge posted:

generally agreed upon: aristocrats were the lowest poo poo, the worst of humanity

liberals want to lift humanity up to the level of the aristocracy
fascists want to kill humanity for not being lifted up and create a perfect species of aristocrats
communists would like there to be no further aristocrats so we can be (trans)human regardless of whether or not we are poo poo

no I mean all humans are bad (and all of the natural world, but that’s a separate convo)

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

while our coterie of idiot billionaire manchildren are terrible, it still warms my heart to think that proper european aristocracy is a broken force. even if we all end up as serfs to jeff bezos, at least every habsburg gently caress - even if they're still rich - has to lean on material wealth for power like a pissy barry lyndon

if we're still posting classic doom moments tho

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo
In retrospect, I can't believe I thought Obama's tears over Sandy Hook were genuine. Goddamn what a loving mark I was (am).

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Tubgoat posted:

In retrospect, I can't believe I thought Obama's tears over Sandy Hook were genuine. Goddamn what a loving mark I was (am).

I remember when Trump was elected and people were like "when another school shooting happens what do we do when the President can't sincerely empathize with the victims and survivors?"

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 216 days!

josh04 posted:

while our coterie of idiot billionaire manchildren are terrible, it still warms my heart to think that proper european aristocracy is a broken force. even if we all end up as serfs to jeff bezos, at least every habsburg gently caress - even if they're still rich - has to lean on material wealth for power like a pissy barry lyndon

reminds me for no particular reason of

i can't remember if goons at one point thought this was badass at one point or if we've always mocked the idea of an adult who dresses as a bat calling a kid a retard for questioning his hosed up bullshit

Tiberius Christ
Mar 4, 2009

Just finished Psycho Goreman and it's fantastic, the little girl they cast is hilarious. The whole movie is surprisingly heartwarming for a story about an alien demon god here to destroy the galaxy.

Clip-On Fedora
Feb 20, 2011

Tubgoat posted:

This is the plot of Doom 2099.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Hodgepodge posted:

i can't remember if goons at one point thought this was badass at one point or if we've always mocked the idea of an adult who dresses as a bat calling a kid a retard for questioning his hosed up bullshit

All-Star Batman and Robin was considered completely ridiculous from the moment it came out

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

Ghost Leviathan posted:

All-Star Batman and Robin was considered completely ridiculous from the moment it came out

It is also very good. Best batman story of its decade

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

Mr Hootington posted:

It is also very good. Best batman story of its decade

did it ever get past issue 2?

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
if you wanna see some serious tonal whiplash, check this poo poo out

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ORv48clDSYg

DesertIslandHermit
Oct 7, 2019

It's beautiful. And it's for the god of...of...arts and crafts. I think that's what he said.

Hodgepodge posted:

It was a funny meme 15 years ago in both the sense of 'How do you not know Batman?' and 'What kind of garbage writing is this?'

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Taintrunner posted:

:laffo:

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Taintrunner posted:

lmao oh my god

Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008

Spidey Super Stories was Marvel's younger reader line. Teaming up with the TV show The Electric Company, they produced limited vocabulary stories designed to help very little kids learn to enjoy reading.

It also produced some of the best out of context panels and skits.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4hMRRWzACpM

This is all canon, as far as I'm concerned

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
Dr Doom rules

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

Doctor Jeep posted:

iirc every time they show latverians there's a babushka with a head scarf and they all look like cold war eastern europe sterotypes

Latveria is Slavic Wakanda, this is slavicfuturism

Breakfast All Day
Oct 21, 2004

Taintrunner posted:

probe this for not warning people to put on their hans devices

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

indigi posted:

did it ever get past issue 2?

10 issues were completed for the OG story that is unfinished. It was supposed to get a "sequel" of 6 issues to complete the entire story. These never showed up.

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS

josh04 posted:

That one never gets old, a true cringe classic.

Like kingpin, ok sure he considers himself the Duke of New York a #1 so I could kinda buy that reaction

But Doom wouldn't hesitate to collapse any number of sky scrappers if it would increase his sovereignty over the world, or even just to spite the FF

Magneto hates non-mutants and is literally a terrorist lmao he'd be like "not bad"

Juggernaut doesn't give a poo poo about anybody other than himself

Dr Octopus, I mean I dunno he's probably killed the least amount of ppl of them all there but he doesn't seem like he would care

And the next page they help clear debris, some with their arch nemesis present lol

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Atrocious Joe posted:

Latveria is Slavic Wakanda, this is slavicfuturism

It literally is, Black Panther was made as Dr Doom's counterpart

Doom is also ethnic Roma

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 216 days!

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Doom is also ethnic Roma

yeah that bit with bast is basically him connecting with her through a common struggle against colonialism and saying that he's doing what needs to be done to end that sort of poo poo

it's not explicitly communist but its american pop culture so capitalism is sort of the hate that dare not speak its name there

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

when u think about it.... doom is basically stalin

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Wheeee posted:

when u think about it.... doom is basically stalin

stalin would make doomguy look like a loving pacifist

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 216 days!

Taintrunner posted:

stalin would make doomguy look like a loving pacifist

wrong doom

a common nerd faux-pas

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

Stalin hands off a message to be delivered to Yezhov, the content of which a single simple instruction: RIP AND TEAR, UNTIL IT IS DONE

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clip-On Fedora
Feb 20, 2011

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Doom is also ethnic Roma

I can't remember the context, but there was this time in the comics where Magneto, Dr. Doom, and the red skull were all involved in some dumb supervillian team up. It ends with Doom and Magneto being left alone with the Red Skull, and both deciding to trap him in a bunker in the middle of the desert, leaving him to die a slow and agonizing death.

The funny part is Red Skull was genuinely shocked by their betrayal, and had no idea why they would possibly want to do that to him.