Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Heath posted:

We have a microwave that has a knob that you turn in 30 second increments and has a maximum of 3 minutes. It starts automatically once you turn it.

Classic Work Microwave

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Assistant Manager Devil posted:

Work microwaves are a different weird issue, they always seem to be the strangest oddball cases. But I've bought at least four microwaves in the last decade, and they've always had that functionality despite my shopping criteria being "the cheapest usable option".

What are you doing to your microwaves that has you burning through one every 2.5 years?

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Inceltown posted:

What are you doing to your microwaves that has you burning through one every 2.5 years?

Black magic (also I keep running into models where the waveguide cover burns out but the replacement's shipping time is longer than I want to live without a microwave)

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Inceltown posted:

It probably has less to do with that and more with buying the cheapest possible ones

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

Inceltown posted:

loving their moms

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

christmas boots posted:

It probably has less to do with that and more with buying the cheapest possible ones

Look bud I think my strategy of paying less multiple times has paid off in dividends

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

My mind is completely boggled, how on earth is having a continuous timer that requires you to remember to check back on it easier than just hitting the 30-second button a couple times :psypop:

you don't have to remember to check back on it, you just make your coffee or whatever other kitchen stuff you're doing then when about the right amount of time has passed you go over and get it

10 seconds either way doesn't really matter in terms of food quality when it's already a microwaved hot pocket or whatever

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

cock hero flux posted:

you just make your coffee or whatever other kitchen stuff you're doing then when about the right amount of time has passed you go over and get it

But that's literally having to remember to check back on it

Karia
Mar 27, 2013

Self-portrait, Snake on a Plane
Oil painting, c. 1482-1484
Leonardo DaVinci (1452-1591)

Yeah, but I do that anyway. I try to avoid ever letting alarms go off (wakeup alarms, kitchen timers, general reminder timers, whatever), so I always have to sit and stare at it the last 10-15 seconds so I can cancel it right before it hits zero.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Always enter times in increments of eleven seconds or seventy‐one seconds.

Stuff that wants two minutes can either be 99 seconds or 2:22.

Stuff that wants to be three minutes can be 2:22 or 3:33.

Maxwells Demon
Jan 15, 2007

You can also learn to cook things without a microwave.

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

Yeah? Like what?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

bell jar posted:

Yeah? Like what?

Fish.

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

I guess you could cook with fire. Like some sort of caveman.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

I just vigorously rub any food I want warmed up. Microwaves give you cancer and fire puts tons of toxins in your food.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

i mean, only to the same standard as normal. you have to remember to go eat the food you prepared at some point

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

cock hero flux posted:

i mean, only to the same standard as normal. you have to remember to go eat the food you prepared at some point

If it was microwaved enough, wouldn't old rotten food be okay to eat?? Safety wise, not taste wise.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

If it was microwaved enough, wouldn't old rotten food be okay to eat?? Safety wise, not taste wise.

Not necessarily. Some bacteria poo poo out toxins. Nuke it hot enough and you kill the bacteria themselves, but not the toxic poo poo.

Example: https://www.livescience.com/65374-b...20Microbiology.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
The horror stories I still remember from my childhood were about botulinum toxin (called the sausage plague in my local tongue). I was taught never to let sausages (or meat in general) sit out or go past their expiration date, because no matter how much you nuke whatever bacteria reside there, the poison they make will survive.

I learned this before learning that it was a common cosmetic treatment to inject the sausage plague into your face. That was a trip.

WITCHCRAFT
Aug 28, 2007

Berries That Burn

Solice Kirsk posted:

Microwaves give you cancer and fire puts tons of toxins in your food.

Thanks for the memory of 19 year old me trying to explain to my "I want to eat raw natural foods" room mate:

Cooking generally makes it easier for your body to absorb nutrients from the food. You are partially breaking down the molecular structure before it enters your body.

Guess what your saliva does? It begins breaking down the molecular structure of the food.

Guess what your stomach acid does? It breaks down the molecular structure of the food.

Raw broccoli has less calories than cooked broccoli. A raw egg has less calories than a cooked egg. This does not mean the raw versions are healthier. This means they are less digestible. More of it goes right through you without being absorbed. That includes vitamins and minerals.

You should eat plenty of raw foods. They can be delicious with little to no prep work. An abundant source of fiber.

That doesn't mean that all cooked foods are innately evil and bad for you.

I can get behind people going vegetarian or vegan for moral or health reasons, but the raw food only thing is demonstrably false and falls into the same category as antivaxx or tanning your butthole in a yoga pose to absorb light-food from the sun.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

WITCHCRAFT posted:

or tanning your butthole in a yoga pose to absorb light-food from the sun.
What if I just do it for fun?

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

Solice Kirsk posted:

I just vigorously rub any food I want warmed up.

Sounds like your mother taught you to cook

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Maxwells Demon posted:

You can also learn to cook things without a microwave.

Microwaves are cheap, they fit in any kitchen, and even if you’re cooking with an stove, oven, or grill, they still have uses for things like melting butter and defrosting.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
I've always wanted to try and cook a roast chicken or beef roats or something on a microwave. But I'm too cheap to waste a good cut.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

The horror stories I still remember from my childhood were about botulinum toxin (called the sausage plague in my local tongue). I was taught never to let sausages (or meat in general) sit out or go past their expiration date, because no matter how much you nuke whatever bacteria reside there, the poison they make will survive.

I learned this before learning that it was a common cosmetic treatment to inject the sausage plague into your face. That was a trip.

Botulism will only grow in anaerobic conditions (no oxygen). Sausages are fine because they're exposed to air. Canned/bottled products are the main culprits because they're sealed away from air. It's also possible to get it from certain products in oil.

Staph also produces toxin and will grow in aerobic conditions, but the poison is much less lethal.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
What about sausages in sealed plastic?

E: wait what the gently caress are you talking about botulism used to be known as a sausage disease. That was it's one widely known trait.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Botulism#:~:text=The%20disease%20begins%20with%20weakness,consciousness%20or%20cause%20a%20fever. posted:

The word is from Latin botulus, meaning sausage.

Outrail has a new favorite as of 08:53 on Jan 27, 2021

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Don’t try to make your own wacky flavored olive oil or you risk breeding botulinum there.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

Platystemon posted:

Don’t try to make your own wacky flavored olive oil or you risk breeding botulinum there.

Some really high figure like 95% of all botulism cases are dumdums putting garlic (a dirty root vegetable) in olive oil (a nearly perfect bacteria and mold/fungus growing medium).

It's practically guaranteed you will die if you do this and it will suck the whole time you're dying.

toanoradian
May 31, 2011

The happiest waffligator
How do I make it not suck the whole time I'm dying?

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

You could jack off for part of it.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

toanoradian posted:

How do I make it not suck the whole time I'm dying?

Same as living.

Copious amounts of drugs.

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 6 days!)

"This young doctor, Justinus Kerner, was the first person to identify botulinum toxin as the causative agent of a series of devastating outbreaks in Germany caused by suspiciously bad sausages. He is renowned for not only providing the first systematic clinical description of the toxin’s effects but also for testing it on himself and accurately prophesying its use as a curative for a variety of medical ailments."

https://www.discovermagazine.com/health/the-bad-sausage-and-the-discovery-of-botulism

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.
I got a sausage disease for ya, sweetheart.

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Fleta Mcgurn posted:

Shot of penicillin should clear that up for ya'

toanoradian
May 31, 2011

The happiest waffligator
I've got a botulus for your butt-ulus

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Fleta Mcgurn posted:

The doctor said I’ve got the most severe casing he’s ever seen

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

oh man look at them thiqq links

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

no casing, no sausage, boys

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

I've heard of loose sausage, but this is ridiculous!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
Kellogg had a weird thing about skinless