Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

DorianGravy posted:

I felt pretty let down by King of Monsters. One of the most compelling aspects of Godzilla (in some of the movies) is that he is presented as a force of nature. The idea is captured really well in this teaser trailer: https://vimeo.com/146985673 (which, to be fair, the 2014 Godzilla didn't quite live up to either.) So, to have King of Monsters center around a device which controls the monsters really undermines that aspect. They use it in the very first scene of Ghidorah, too. It turns the whole movie into a family squabble rather than the sort of disaster movie that it should be.

I'm guessing they had that pulled from the internet because it contains a monster that doesn't appear in the actual movie but I think it's the best trailer of all time.

I'm not much of a fan of the 2014 movie but I don't think any movie would've lived up to that trailer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Their first proper teaser was just as good

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QjKO10hKtYw

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

DorianGravy posted:

I felt pretty let down by King of Monsters. One of the most compelling aspects of Godzilla (in some of the movies) is that he is presented as a force of nature. The idea is captured really well in this teaser trailer: https://vimeo.com/146985673 (which, to be fair, the 2014 Godzilla didn't quite live up to either.) So, to have King of Monsters center around a device which controls the monsters really undermines that aspect. They use it in the very first scene of Ghidorah, too. It turns the whole movie into a family squabble rather than the sort of disaster movie that it should be.

No movie was ever going to live up to that trailer. They did eventually use the scrapped monsters that we see there in KotM I think. The HALO jump teaser is pretty damned good too. All of the promo there was solid.

God, the exploding airplane dominos shot in G14 is so loving good, I need to go back and watch that again. The movie sells extremely well the fact that humans are nothing in the face of natural forces, it's about as good of a climate change allegory as we're ever gonna get on film.

Mat Cauthon fucked around with this message at 03:38 on Jan 26, 2021

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010
If you watched the credits of KoM you find put that the titans have reversed all ecological problems and the earth is doing great. There is a stinger as well.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

I love Godzilla 2014, but having watched it again the other day (because I'm going to finally watch KotM and wanted a refresher), I had forgotten how much it teases you with monster fights. It keeps almost showing you Godzilla fighting the MUTOs. First Godzilla encounters one, the fight begins, and then it immediately cuts to the news footage of the aftermath. Then, later, they start to fight again, Elizabeth Olsen's character is running away from them, and she's behind a door that closes just as they start to come to blows. You don't really see a real proper monster fight until near the end of the movie. At which point, hooboy do you ever get the goods. But it's downright comical how they keep it away from you until then.

Again, I love it, and it does a good job of selling the human element until then. And the movie is gorgeous. I just found that fact funny.

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug

thrawn527 posted:

I love Godzilla 2014, but having watched it again the other day (because I'm going to finally watch KotM and wanted a refresher), I had forgotten how much it teases you with monster fights. It keeps almost showing you Godzilla fighting the MUTOs. First Godzilla encounters one, the fight begins, and then it immediately cuts to the news footage of the aftermath. Then, later, they start to fight again, Elizabeth Olsen's character is running away from them, and she's behind a door that closes just as they start to come to blows. You don't really see a real proper monster fight until near the end of the movie. At which point, hooboy do you ever get the goods. But it's downright comical how they keep it away from you until then.

Again, I love it, and it does a good job of selling the human element until then. And the movie is gorgeous. I just found that fact funny.

The cut from Godzilla staring down the MUTO at Hawaii, to the kid watching it on TV with Godzilla flailing around with a MUTO stuck on his head like an idiot was loving hilarious when I saw it in the cinema.

The Klowner
Apr 20, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
People were whooping and cheering at the end of g14 when godzilla grabbed the MUTO by the jaws and laser-barfed into its face. As annoying as the fight cutaways were in that movie, it did lead to an incredibly cathartic climax

In fact I remember screaming at that part "loving finally"

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

GoldStandardConure posted:

The cut from Godzilla staring down the MUTO at Hawaii, to the kid watching it on TV with Godzilla flailing around with a MUTO stuck on his head like an idiot was loving hilarious when I saw it in the cinema.

Legendary Godzilla is essentially Toothless from How To Train Your Dragon.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Killing off Cranston and sticking you with cardboard man severely hurt the movie for me. Actually surprised how likable his character was in TENET since normally I can't stand him.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Groovelord Neato posted:

Killing off Cranston and sticking you with cardboard man severely hurt the movie for me. Actually surprised how likable his character was in TENET since normally I can't stand him.

:same: I saw Godzilla 2014 with some friends and cardboard man’s pathetic attempt to have a heartfelt call to his wife made me do a full Max Cady guffaw that caused said friends to look at me like I had gone insane.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
Cardboard Man was in Tenet? I didn't even notice him

DorianGravy
Sep 12, 2007

thrawn527 posted:

I assume this was for the same reason that you don't see the Xenomorph much in Alien, or the ghost in many horror movies, until late in the movies: by building suspense and letting your imagination fill in some of the blanks, it creates a more powerful impression. Whether or not it works in this movie, it's difficult to say. I'd say that the movie's bigger problem, as Groovelord mentioned above, was killing off its most interesting character early on.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Zzulu posted:

Cardboard Man was in Tenet? I didn't even notice him

This is cowboy poo poo guy

Fartington Butts
Jan 21, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1VIZ89FEjYI
I am still very down for this.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Threaded Cane, the choice of the gentleman.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

MonsieurChoc posted:

Threaded Cane, the choice of the gentleman.

actually its byleths sword from super smash bros ultimate

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

scary ghost dog posted:

actually its byleths sword from super smash bros ultimate

Actually it's the sword from Brotherhood of the Wolf.

Fartington Butts
Jan 21, 2007

Ivy from Soul Calibur had it first.

wuffles
Apr 10, 2004

They gave the monkey an axe

wuffles
Apr 10, 2004

Same.

The girl in the white top reminds me a lot of Sonnie, from the Sonnie’s Edge short that came out with Love Death and Robots on netflix.

I thought it was just me at first, but my wife made the same comment.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

wuffles posted:

They gave the monkey an axe

They gave him a flying guillotine in Skull Island, an axe is a step down for him

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gDtmeVAJwwI

DorianGravy
Sep 12, 2007

Looks like fun! I like how energetic the trailer is.

wuffles
Apr 10, 2004

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

They gave him a flying guillotine in Skull Island, an axe is a step down for him

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gDtmeVAJwwI

How did I forget that. Probably because there were so many fantastic parts of that movie.

I’m afraid kong vs godzilla is going to be more king of monsters than it will be skull island unfortunately.

Chemtrailologist
Jul 8, 2007

Hopefully that baby at the start doesn't have a big role here. Seems like that could get annoying easily.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

wuffles posted:

I’m afraid kong vs godzilla is going to be more king of monsters than it will be skull island unfortunately.

It'll definitely fall somewhere in the middle but I'm guessing that Kong will get more of a protagonist role in this one, just based on the fact that they've included an orphan kid who has a special bond with him who will no doubt be used to outright describe his state of mind for the slower audience members who struggle to pick up the non-verbal cues.

kanonvandekempen
Mar 14, 2009

teagone posted:

Actually it's the sword from Brotherhood of the Wolf.

That's not the only thing Bloodborne copied from that movie.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
I hope kong swings godzilla around by his tail

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Listen if we’re all going to be asking for stupid poo poo then I hope Godzilla propels itself with his atomic blast to catch up to Kong.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Listen if we’re all going to be asking for stupid poo poo then I hope Godzilla propels itself with his atomic blast to catch up to Kong.

Don't you mean this?

https://thumbs.gfycat.com/ChubbyDemandingKarakul-mobile.mp4

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

This would also be acceptable.

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

For real though how would Kong even stand a chance against Godzilla? Heavily armored and nuclear fire breath? C'mon

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

My hot take is that King Kong is boring as hell from a creature design perspective.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)

Fried Watermelon posted:

For real though how would Kong even stand a chance against Godzilla? Heavily armored and nuclear fire breath? C'mon

Street smarts and dirty tricks :clint:

I mean Kong already killed a giant lizard in his own movie. He did so basically by using tools a lot

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

Fried Watermelon posted:

How does the fight not end at the moment from the trailer where Godzilla nukes that aircraft carrier, forcing Kong to jump into the ocean miles from anything?

Either Kong is a really strong swimmer or the giant lizard makes some tactical oversights.

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.
Kong can probably stand with water to his ankles while in the middle of the ocean, just like Godzilla does it.

Yak of Wrath
Feb 24, 2011

Keeping It Together
Each Kaiju will have a Special Child with whom they share a mysterious bond with who they must protect and emote with, Godzilla is forced to temporarily retreat when his Special Child starts to cry or something.

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"

Mat Cauthon posted:

How does the fight not end at the moment from the trailer where Godzilla nukes that aircraft carrier, forcing Kong to jump into the ocean miles from anything?

Either Kong is a really strong swimmer or the giant lizard makes some tactical oversights.

hes very buoyant

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

Mat Cauthon posted:

Maybe Godzilla is less interested in Kong and is on a mission. And Kong can’t hurt him in the water. Like why waste time fighting him when Evil Megacorp is doing bad stuff he has to stop.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Mat Cauthon posted:

They start the fight on a giant container ship which gets blown up (it has a red hull and shipping containers scattered across the deck) and then they move across to an aircraft carrier (it has a grey hull and has jets and helicopters scattered over the deck)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

The tectonic plates are a series of carriers, if you think about it.