Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

I threw a couple grand into BB, Nokia and GameStop for the memes. Why not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wifi Toilet
Oct 1, 2004

Toilet Rascal

Wifi Toilet posted:

WSB membership up 300k in 2 days

And another 200k just since this post.

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Wifi Toilet posted:

And another 200k just since this post.

More impressive are the 200,000 plus people online viewing the forum

Superrodan
Nov 27, 2007
I keep reading that some shorts expire friday, here in this thread and on reddit, but I don't know what the sources are on that. I just keep reading it. I mentioned this in a post earlier and someone in this thread that seemed to know more than me chimed in that friday holds no particular meaning or consequence. I want to re-iterate that I honestly have no clue one way or another, please don't use this post as evidence affirming that Friday is a day where something tangible happens to the shorts.

However, because other people like me have ALSO been reading and repeating that, there is somewhat of a bubbling expectation that friday is a big deal. I see it on reddit whenever I pop in there. If the price shoots up significantly on friday I expect some people to go "ok that was what we were waiting for" and drop out. If it DOESN'T shoot up significantly on friday I expect some people (maybe the same people) to go "ok, it didn't work and I want to get out before I'm stuck".

I have no idea how many people are in that boat, but I think it will make friday at least a little different than the rest of the days so far.

Grem
Mar 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 21 days!
GME about to hit $300 already!

movax
Aug 30, 2008

I hopped on the GME meme train in my HSA because I was already being a dumbass in my Roth with BB and PLTR (ok, not dumb, but still...).

2021 is fun!

Wifi Toilet
Oct 1, 2004

Toilet Rascal
AMC over $12. +150% after hours, crazy.

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe
People are saying they should make a movie about u/DeepFuckingValue, the dude who has so far run up $50k to, well, who the gently caress knows at this point - tens of millions of dollars so far.

I'm just not sure how interesting a movie it will be - a 90 minute montage of a dude sitting at his computer with a steadily growing erection creeping up from the bottom of the screen.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Bardeh posted:

People are saying they should make a movie about u/DeepFuckingValue, the dude who has so far run up $50k to, well, who the gently caress knows at this point - tens of millions of dollars so far.

I'm just not sure how interesting a movie it will be - a 90 minute montage of a dude sitting at his computer with a steadily growing erection creeping up from the bottom of the screen.

The real play is cashing in on the next 1000 dudes who think they're gonna be that guy.

I mean, as a NOK bagholder (my cost basis is $8 :laffo:), I appreciate the recent action, but.... goddammit.

Superrodan
Nov 27, 2007

Bardeh posted:

I think a sequel to The Big Short would be fitting, called something glib like The Dumb Short.

We of course start with a dramatic Coronavirus montage of various pundits talking about how consumers will be staying away from physical locations and such, completely ignoring the fact that malls and physical shopping was dying beforehand. Pan across posters of cat food brands and newspaper articles about online pet food being the latest success from that new Gamestop investor with a big idea. He goes to his glass wall looking out over his office where "Online Cat Food = $$$" is written, and crosses out Cat Food dramatically, writing in "Video Games". The interns at their desks all look up in awe. One starts a slow clap, but the others look at him funny and he stops.

After that we begin to follow the evil hedge fund bros. One ultra bro named Chet rushes in. He reveals dramatically that he did some math and it seems they can short a stock past the actual amount of shares. They're all stunned silence. They go out to celebrate in a montage where they repeatedly short Gamestop, then go out and try to pick up chicks and flash their cash in bars so bartenders look the other way when they don't wear masks. Again, a lot of this likely happened before the pandemic, but this is a dramatization, after all.

Eventually we are introduced to our hero, DeepFuckingValue. Hung on his wall behind his PC he has an award for being on the "patterns noticing" team back in high school and he lives in his parents basement. His mom always chastizes him for spending so much time looking at numbers on the internet. He delivers a pizza to one of the bros at their fancy office. He sees "Step 1. Ruin Gamestop Step 2. Profit" on their white board.

The rest obviously writes itself. Picture lots of scenes of panic from the bros and triumph from DFV as he quits his pizza job and becomes a millionare.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS
https://twitter.com/dril/status/1338135963738853377

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe
It's been as high as $340 in premarket :shepspends:

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
Is this what a gambling high feels like because I love it.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

When I was 12, my aunt gifted me one share of AAPL via Oneshare. I had the (non-legal tender) certificate and everything. My mom called today and said she got a message from Computershare (the current owner of the account) saying they’re going to start sending dividend checks to the state for unclaimed property. Apparently I own 55 shares of AAPL now :signings:

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

Does anyone have that list of the most heavily shorted companies handy?

orange sky
May 7, 2007

Holy loving poo poo lmao

Wifi Toilet
Oct 1, 2004

Toilet Rascal

gay picnic defence posted:

Does anyone have that list of the most heavily shorted companies handy?

It only works if you can convince a few million other people to buy it too.

I think bbby and dillards are at the top of those lists though.

e: https://www.barrons.com/articles/another-gamestop-here-are-the-next-10-most-shorted-small-caps-51611688092

Wifi Toilet fucked around with this message at 11:40 on Jan 27, 2021

bollig
Apr 7, 2006

Never Forget.
These are pretty cool times we live in

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe

Wifi Toilet posted:

It only works if you can convince a few million other people to buy it too.

I think bbby and dillards are at the top of those lists though.

e: https://www.barrons.com/articles/another-gamestop-here-are-the-next-10-most-shorted-small-caps-51611688092

Also it's worth keeping in mind that WSB forbids discussion of companies with a market cap of under $1b, so if you're looking to whatever they're going to latch onto next, anything smaller than that won't have the same hype around it as GME does.

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

orange sky posted:

Holy loving poo poo lmao

It's 321USD at this time

orange sky
May 7, 2007

John F Bennett posted:

It's 321USD at this time

Yep the premarket is in the picture :)

The FOMO is real. Wondering why the hell I went for BB calls instead of GME, this poo poo is just unbelievable.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

Bardeh posted:

Also it's worth keeping in mind that WSB forbids discussion of companies with a market cap of under $1b, so if you're looking to whatever they're going to latch onto next, anything smaller than that won't have the same hype around it as GME does.

I didn't know that, I am wondering if some other people with deep pockets might try and snipe some short sellers though. However I suppose it needs to be close to expiry as well for the short squeeze to take off, right?

Bored As Fuck
Jan 1, 2006
Fun Shoe

orange sky posted:

The FOMO is real. Wondering why the hell I went for BB calls instead of GME, this poo poo is just unbelievable.

The fact that it got above $200 when I had a chance to get in at $40 or $60... man, yeah, the FOMO is real on this one.

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

If you’ve got some low end FOMO then grab a few SPCE and AMC stonks

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

Help me time the market goons I’m bad at this

Brass Hand
Feb 27, 2020

Joink
Jan 8, 2004

What if I told you cod is no longer a fish :coolfish:

A MIRACLE posted:

Buy first panic dip of GME at open. Real answer is I'd be worried about SEC issuing a T12 halt at this point even though literally nothing scammy is happening just some shorts covering, delta hedging the OTM calls, and fomo.

cumshitter
Sep 27, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

A MIRACLE posted:

buy now

lol wait too late moron

salt shakeup
Jun 27, 2004

'orrible fucking nights
Melvin reportedly closed its position on GME yesterday
https://mobile.twitter.com/SquawkCNBC/status/1354386200157675521

salt shakeup fucked around with this message at 12:31 on Jan 27, 2021

a Loving Dog
May 12, 2001

more like a Barking Dog, woof!
Oh my god I made so much loving money while I slept. Put a new stop loss order in for 270 (previous was 200!) I’ll check again pre market but god drat.

Bedurndurn
Dec 4, 2008
None of my pre-market orders are getting filled on Schwab.

Which is bad, because I thought they were a good idea at the time, but is good because they weren't actually a good idea at the time.

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

I'm not entirely convinced that Michael Burry isn't a stranded time traveler.

orange sky posted:

Oh right! I missed it and it was right there in front of me, thanks.

salt shakeup posted:

lol, now wsb is screaming fake news. The house of cards has to come down eventually, this is all too rich for my blood tbh.

John F Bennett fucked around with this message at 12:39 on Jan 27, 2021

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

Bedurndurn posted:

None of my pre-market orders are getting filled on Schwab.

Which is bad, because I thought they were a good idea at the time, but is good because they weren't actually a good idea at the time.

eToro is the same, and with BB.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

salt shakeup posted:

Can they do that without buying back the shares they borrowed?

a Loving Dog
May 12, 2001

more like a Barking Dog, woof!

salt shakeup posted:

Volume pre market is like 3 million, outstanding from them is 69 million I think? How do they plan to cover lol

Tokyo Sex Whale
Oct 9, 2012

"My butt smells like vanilla ice cream"
I thought Melvin was all in puts not shorts and that’s why we knew their positions (long options have to be reported in SEC filings, short positions don’t).

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe

a Loving Dog posted:

Volume pre market is like 3 million, outstanding from them is 69 million I think? How do they plan to cover lol

Apparently they did it yesterday afternoon? I'd sure love to see some proof. It's crashing hard on this news, almost back to what it was at close yesterday lol

E: Citron was another fund that had heavily shorted GME and eaten a loss, putting out a video when it was at 40 where he was wild-eyed and sweaty, desperately trying to make the case for the price to fall

https://twitter.com/CitronResearch/status/1354395523940196354

:hmmm:

Bardeh fucked around with this message at 13:01 on Jan 27, 2021

Wifi Toilet
Oct 1, 2004

Toilet Rascal
And just cancelled my limit buy order for open, good luck goons!

e: wow, all the meme stocks are down from after hours highs.

Wifi Toilet fucked around with this message at 13:01 on Jan 27, 2021

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

For anyone with market orders right now most retail, me you etc are locked out of pre market until 7am or right about now

That 300 spike at 4am is meaningless it spiked to 250 at 4am yesterday.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

Do I put my life savings in at market open or what