Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe
Yeah, as a Senegal owner, it looks too big.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suntan Boy
May 27, 2005
Stained, dirty, smells like weed, possibly a relic from the sixties.

It's definitely too big to even be a Cape Parrot, and that's the biggest poicephalus species by a fair margin. Or everyone pictured is actually a Smurf.

E: also would be the whackest cape parrot ever found

Suntan Boy fucked around with this message at 06:41 on Jan 25, 2021

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Is it possible to give an unweaned budgie a bath in warm water, and immediately plop them on a towel by the electric heater? She's got some stubborn formula gunk around her beak that I can't get rid of, even with soaking it with a warm moist tissue. The lovebird downstairs usually does a decent job of getting it out, but they've grown so big now compared to my budgie that they sometimes hurt her by mistake just because of how much stronger they are.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

Qubee posted:

Is it possible to give an unweaned budgie a bath in warm water, and immediately plop them on a towel by the electric heater? She's got some stubborn formula gunk around her beak that I can't get rid of, even with soaking it with a warm moist tissue. The lovebird downstairs usually does a decent job of getting it out, but they've grown so big now compared to my budgie that they sometimes hurt her by mistake just because of how much stronger they are.

i don’t have the experience here, sorry. but i’d maybe try bird burritoing the poor thing and slowly stroking the area with a wet towel or q-tip or something?

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

Please tell me why every non-millet treat I bring home gets snubbed, and also please tell me why Sera has decided its better to chew through the millet bag than to eat the millet that I put out for them.

A BRAND NEW BAG, SERA. WHY.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

RoboRodent posted:

Please tell me why every non-millet treat I bring home gets snubbed, and also please tell me why Sera has decided its better to chew through the millet bag than to eat the millet that I put out for them.

A BRAND NEW BAG, SERA. WHY.

You're keeping the Good Millet away from them! :derptiel:

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb
Oh damnit, Serra's favorite preening spot (my headboard) is right up against the painted wall.

As of tonight, after spending years with her beak literally resting on it, she has discovered she can pick at it.

It a minuscule amount of God only knows what going to be a problem? I shoo her away when she starts nibbling, but I'm unsure how dangerous her new habit is or isn't.

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

I was watching simpsons at 0.75 without knowing until a scene where homer and bart were getting back massages at a hotel and the noises they were making were super drawn out like a youtube poop
Mayo does that too, she loves to peel paint off of a certain corner. She doesn't actively consume it, just tears it off and drops the chips on the floor. I still worry she's getting it into her system.

All I can do is try my best to redirect her towards things that are appropriate to shred up, like the little hibiscus I brought home for her.

edit- She started some new sections :facepalm:

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Trebuchet King
Jul 5, 2005

This post...

...is a
WORK OF FICTION!!

just awestricken by the power radiating off this photo

mikerock
Oct 29, 2005

Adorable

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb
Such perfect orbs. :3:

Qubee
May 31, 2013

mediaphage posted:

i don’t have the experience here, sorry. but i’d maybe try bird burritoing the poor thing and slowly stroking the area with a wet towel or q-tip or something?

This worked incredibly well. Instead of squirming and trying to wriggle out, the burrito experience lulls them to sleep. I managed to get one half of their mouth clean completely, but the other half has really stubborn, caked on formula that is still clinging on after 2 soaking sessions and trying to rub it / pinch it off. I was wondering whether I can just cut these mouth feathers off as they'll be eating formula for another couple of weeks. Not sure if it would cause bleeding though, so I've not done it. I can't wipe too aggressively either because there's some skinfolds near that seem paper thin.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

oh great. honestly i’d keep up with it and just try and wipe them after feedings. as i recall our breeder is pretty aggressive about wiping down the babies while she feeds them (because they’re always messy).

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb
Howdy everyone and Happy New Year!

Being a new year, I thought it was appropriate for us to have a Birb Role Call! Discord has taken some of the daily activity out of this thread, but I know we always have some lurkers and new folk around. Let’s make it easier on them to know which feathered doofuses we are discussing.

Here is a template to use. Adjust it however you like!

Birb Name –

Birb Nickname –

Birb Age –

Birb Type –

Birb Shape –

Birb Super Powers –

Birb Evil Powers –

Birb Weaknesses –

Pictures of Birb –

Video Evidence of Birb -

Introduce us to your Birbs, Bird Crazies!

--------------------------------

I'll start us off.

Birb Name – Serra the Cockatiel

Birb Nickname – Doofus

Birb Age – Three and a half years old, hatched on July 17th. I've had her since she was weaned at a few months old.

Birb Type – Cockatiel. Quite possibly the ultra rare variant known as a, "Chonkatiel." Also quite possibly the even rarer variant known as, "An Actual Cartoon."

Birb Shape – Extremely round. Like a fat little orb. Changes throughout the day, often times shifting into, "Bowling Pin" shape.

Birb Super Powers – She will give a mean squeak and beak. (No Pinch) Also, a mighty hiss. Can consume a tiny amount of food and gain weight. Able to look cute enough to get out of any trouble, ever.

Birb Evil Powers – See Above. Also refuses to touch anything that could even be slightly construed as healthy. Once ate an entire gingersnap.

Birb Weaknesses – Got put on a diet and gained 15g by holding food in her crop all day. Constantly jumpy, but only able to flutter and plop as an escape. Chonky.

Pictures of Birb –

Video Evidence of Birb -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-UO8AC72v0g

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-4g1F_myyW4

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

can we get some sort of chart to clarify the Serra, Sera, Cera situation

or like, a venn diagram

Qubee
May 31, 2013

There's a Discord? Link please!

Edit: is it okay to feed formula to an unweaned budgie whenever they cry for food? Supposedly I'm only meant to feed this one every 5 hours, but I'm on a 4-hour window. Their energy levels are fantastic, they're way more playful. Sometimes I feel like there's still a bit of food in the crop when we go to the next feeding (I always ensure there's a solid 8 hour window at night to completely empty to prevent sour crop). I've just started picking up on cues when they're hungry - they become more frantic and needy, as opposed to relaxed and cuddly. I just don't want to be doing something bad for her due to my inexperience, but I want to give her the best start at life by making sure she's always digesting in the day.

Qubee fucked around with this message at 17:52 on Jan 28, 2021

ass cobra
May 28, 2004

by Azathoth

Youth Decay posted:

can we get some sort of chart to clarify the Serra, Sera, Cera situation

or like, a venn diagram

Here's a data point

Birb Name – Cera

Birb Nickname – Bird

Birb Age – No idea

Birb Type – Budgie

Birb Shape – Shapeshifter

Birb Super Powers – Fastest flier

Birb Evil Powers – Will bite if you try to get her to step up from her favorite swing after 6pm

Birb Weaknesses – Weak bite

Pictures of Birb –

Video Evidence of Birb -

https://i.imgur.com/6FtgS2k.mp4

https://i.imgur.com/ba1jvdm.mp4

ass cobra
May 28, 2004

by Azathoth
Serra flapping is hilarious btw :kimchi:

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb

rear end cobra posted:

Serra flapping is hilarious btw :kimchi:

:derptiel: :respek: :3:

That vicious budgie bite followed by gently swinging back and forth is hysterical.

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE

:same:

EVIL Gibson
Mar 23, 2001

Internet of Things is just someone else's computer that people can't help attaching cameras and door locks to!
:vapes:
Switchblade Switcharoo
I used AI to figure out the colors in the picture. It does pictures taken outside really well so it came back with good coloring

It's a black feathered parrot. Googling for "black parrot" , knowing there aren't many out there, I believe I found it; the Vasa parrot. They come around Madagascar but I believe are endemic in other areas.

There are three species of Vasa; greater, lesser and the Seychelles black parrot . More info can be found here

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

EVIL Gibson posted:

I used AI to figure out the colors in the picture. It does pictures taken outside really well so it came back with good coloring

It's a black feathered parrot. Googling for "black parrot" , knowing there aren't many out there, I believe I found it; the Vasa parrot. They come around Madagascar but I believe are endemic in other areas.

There are three species of Vasa; greater, lesser and the Seychelles black parrot . More info can be found here

yeah I was thinking maybe Vasa but they have a really distinct body shape with a long neck, although maybe this guy was just in floof mode

mikerock
Oct 29, 2005

That's some great work but those uniform colours are way off, they would be khaki, and the hats (tam o shanter) would be similar. The kilt is close. Would that change the colour of the bird if it was adjusted to compensate for that?

Masonity
Dec 31, 2007

What, I wonder, does this hidden face of madness reveal of the makers? These K'Chain Che'Malle?
Birb Name – Bow and Zeus

Birb Nickname – Bobo and Rubber Ducky / Batty

Birb Age – 1 yearish and 4-5 months?

Birb Type – both budgies

Birb Super Powers –Bow - the ability to pretend he wouldn't step up and chill on us before we had Zeus. Zeus - hanging upside down like a bat. Constantly.

Birb Evil Powers – Bow - see above. The power to LIE! Zeus - the ability to sneak up on Bow and pull his tail

EVIL Gibson
Mar 23, 2001

Internet of Things is just someone else's computer that people can't help attaching cameras and door locks to!
:vapes:
Switchblade Switcharoo

mikerock posted:

That's some great work but those uniform colours are way off, they would be khaki, and the hats (tam o shanter) would be similar. The kilt is close. Would that change the colour of the bird if it was adjusted to compensate for that?

The bird would have to be lighter and it would be a brown ruddy color like the khaki you say it is. I would think something like a kea but the beaks are totally different.

To tell you the truth and totally as an aside I went down a highlander hole last night looking up uniforms of old and during WW1

I'll send you a PM

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb

Masonity posted:

Birb Name – Bow and Zeus

Birb Nickname – Bobo and Rubber Ducky / Batty

Birb Age – 1 yearish and 4-5 months?

Birb Type – both budgies

Birb Super Powers –Bow - the ability to pretend he wouldn't step up and chill on us before we had Zeus. Zeus - hanging upside down like a bat. Constantly.

Birb Evil Powers – Bow - see above. The power to LIE! Zeus - the ability to sneak up on Bow and pull his tail

Awww, what sweeties! That reminds me I need to fill out a form for Blue and Yellow, my parakeets.

But trying to get good pictures of a non hand tamed parakeet is like trying to photograph The Predator.

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

I was watching simpsons at 0.75 without knowing until a scene where homer and bart were getting back massages at a hotel and the noises they were making were super drawn out like a youtube poop
Name: Pesto

Nickname: Besto, Pasto, Peso and Pessho

Species: Budgie

Shape: Poofety

Powers: Escape artist, expert bobber, can force human to spawn millet by being cute

Weakness: Mayo or being away from Mayo for more than a minute.

---

Name: Mayo

Nickname: Baby Sweetie Bird, Girly Birdy, Mayo Baby Birdy

Shape: Svelte yet oddly heavy

Powers: Lever manipulator, food bowl tossing, bell ringing, window scaling.

Weakness: Klutz. Let's Pesto scream into her face in exchange for tons of delicious bird vomit.

Plant MONSTER. fucked around with this message at 21:06 on Jan 29, 2021

mycelia
Apr 28, 2013

POWERFUL FUNGAL LORD

As a non-able-to-have-a-bird-haver, I just wanna let y'all know I appreciate the roll call, and your posts in general. I'm living vicariously through your super cute photos and gifs!

ass cobra
May 28, 2004

by Azathoth

:stare:

I have this nightmare at least once a week

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

Birb Name – Sir Serendipity Seven-Toes

Birb Nickname – Sera

Birb Age – 5 1/2

Birb Type – cockatiel, cinnamon

Birb Shape – petite and fluffy

Birb Super Powers – excellent flyer, very cute face, better adjusted than I am

Birb Evil Powers – sneaky, will quietly climb into places he doesn't belong and chew holes in things.

Birb Weaknesses – loves Kleenex and paper towels, also Mozart and female vocalists. Cuddles.

Pictures of Birb –

Birb Name – Mx. Oscar Beepington

Birb Nickname – Ozzy

Birb Age – unknown? I've had him for three years now, and he was fully grown then.

Birb Type – cockatiel, wild type

Birb Shape – chonk

Birb Super Powers – looks male but might not be, occasional bursts of bravery, learning to fly as an adult bird.

Birb Evil Powers – SCREM. Screm about everything. At full volume. Insists on routine as much as possible.

Birb Weaknesses – suspicious of everything, mostly doesn't bite anymore except very gently, but will scream like he's going go for blood every time. Really likes showers. Hates the camera.

Pictures of Birb –

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

Also Sera and Ozzy are both being extremely hormonal, with Sera trying to climb into every hole to find the perfect nest, Ozzy being extremely jealous of Sera's attention even if he still won't let Sera touch him in any way, and both of them spending so much time yelling.

The yelling.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb
These are some very high quality floofs and borbs. Excellent creatures, I say. :derptiel: :respek: :kimchi:

ass cobra
May 28, 2004

by Azathoth
Objective AI ratings of the birds so far:

Serra: 10/10

Cera: 10/10

Bow: 10/10

Zeus: 10/10

Pesto: 10/10

Mayo: 10/10

Sera: 10/10

Ozzy: 10/10

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

gosh! i like both the islanders and the rangers!!! :^)

Didn't do a conventional roll call. May put the effort in tomorrow. For now, here

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
Is this the right place to post some friends I made in a local park?
https://i.imgur.com/j4dtvt0.mp4
https://i.imgur.com/mcyNjDr.mp4

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

Goodness, so cute. I love magpies, they are so sassy

Kuros
Sep 13, 2010

Oh look, the consequences of my prior actions are finally catching up to me.

That's a mood right there.

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

Kuros posted:

That's a mood right there.

thats my phone's wallpaper, lmao.

she looks pissed off there but she was actually beckoning for bird vomit from pesto.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb

Rotten Cookies posted:

Didn't do a conventional roll call. May put the effort in tomorrow. For now, here

OK, these are amazing and I want to see more. Then get them printed.