Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zushio
May 8, 2008
Resident Evil ∞

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lunatic Sledge
Jun 8, 2013

choose your own horror isekai sci-fi Souls-like urban fantasy gamer simulator adventure

or don't?
Ethan Returns: Resident Evil 7-2

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

Hakkesshu posted:

Sorry I actually confused it with that haunted PS1 Demo Disc collection. I will check out Dread X as repentance.

Ooooh yeah, that makes sense. I thought Haunted PS1 Demo was okay, but they went on to make C.H.A.I.N. and the MADvent Calendar and those were not good times.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
I kickstarted sauna2000 I'm part of the problem

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

This displeases Dev- ..van. Shut up.
The RE8 demo’s visuals looked good, but not what I imagined in my head PS5 good would be like, which I’m fine with because that means it will run on my computer while I wait for scalpers to stop buying all the PS5s.

Also it looked really good.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

They're getting a lot of mileage out of their engine but it's still running on an engine optimized for VR which makes it all the more unfortunate Capcom seems to have zero interest in it when you've got Oculus and Valve still throwing money at their hardware.

RE7 vr should not die on PS4.

acksplode
May 17, 2004

mysterious frankie posted:

The RE8 demo’s visuals looked good, but not what I imagined in my head PS5 good would be like, which I’m fine with because that means it will run on my computer while I wait for scalpers to stop buying all the PS5s.

The DF feature on the demo was interesting, apparently the floor reflections in the main hall are raytraced. You can see the undersides of tables and stuff. I didn't notice it at all lol, though I did notice the framerate dips in that area. Last night I played the opening couple hours of RE7 on my 3080 machine, 4K resolution with all settings maxed, and it actually made the RE8 demo look pretty good. RE8 demo has way better textures and more complex geometry. It looks much more detailed by comparison.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
I really do hope you can turn the raytracing off, because I honestly don't care much for the tiny, tiny difference to fidelity that it makes to begin with and I'm absolutely not willing to buy an RTX-capable card to play the game

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

I went back to replay 7 right after it, and it was a more noticeable quality jump in comparison than I'd remembered, while looking recognizably similar. Still, I'd generally expect the more impressive improvements to come out over the years as the consoles are out for longer (I also think it's affected by feeling like the generational leaps in graphic quality have generally gotten smaller with each round in the 3D era).

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

Yeah, I would definitely say the dread x games are pretty fantastic and I think there's only been a handful of games I really disliked from them.

acksplode
May 17, 2004

Cardiovorax posted:

I really do hope you can turn the raytracing off, because I honestly don't care much for the tiny, tiny difference to fidelity that it makes to begin with and I'm absolutely not willing to buy an RTX-capable card to play the game

I'm sure you can turn it off on PC, GPUs that support RTX are still a minority in the market. I'm surprised that they're even going with it on PS5, seems like a bad art direction call given the lopsided cost/benefit. Hopefully that's something they can tune up before release, cheaper reflections would've been fine there. Maybe there are areas that make better use of RTX for the cost, but the demo was explicitly a visual showcase, so maybe not.

acksplode fucked around with this message at 20:26 on Jan 26, 2021

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
There's Dread X Collection games that I don't think work as well as I'd like them to but the only one I thought was actively bad was Nice Screams at Funfair, because it's fiddly and uncommunicative about what it actually wants from you.

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

Assistant Manager Devil posted:

I went back to replay 7 right after it, and it was a more noticeable quality jump in comparison than I'd remembered, while looking recognizably similar. Still, I'd generally expect the more impressive improvements to come out over the years as the consoles are out for longer (I also think it's affected by feeling like the generational leaps in graphic quality have generally gotten smaller with each round in the 3D era).

I’m also watching YouTube videos, not playing the demo myself, so I recognize I have a pretty tenuous claim to know what it really looks like. Detailwise it looked phenomenal and I’m glad they went with a locale that lets them lean into crazy filigree and all sorts of other opulent/weird interior design this time out. More than the world of 7 it looks like a place I want to wander slowly so I can really appreciate the work the put into laying it all out.

mysterious frankie fucked around with this message at 00:45 on Jan 27, 2021

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Here's hoping they stick with creepy not-Transylvania the entire game. Sometimes Resident Evil gets comical with its scene transitions, like how did I go from a church to an evil scientist's lab with vat monsters to Donkey Kong minecarts to every set design in Saw?

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

al-azad posted:

like how did I go from a church to an evil scientist's lab with vat monsters to Donkey Kong minecarts to every set design in Saw?

I'm wishing for this, canceling out your wish :colbert:

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

al-azad posted:

Here's hoping they stick with creepy not-Transylvania the entire game. Sometimes Resident Evil gets comical with its scene transitions, like how did I go from a church to an evil scientist's lab with vat monsters to Donkey Kong minecarts to every set design in Saw?

You are going to end up in an evil science lab at some point and I suggest you come to terms with that now.

Probably an underground one.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

You are going to end up in an evil science lab at some point and I suggest you come to terms with that now.

Counterpoint, it's an established part of the RE universe at this point that these companies are making monsters.

Just an above ground lab run by government contractors with nothing nefarious are death traps.

acksplode
May 17, 2004

RE7's lab seemed perfunctory, just one guy's equipment in a small cave somewhere. RE8 should follow course and make its lab a desk at the village WeWork with just a macbook and a petri dish, staffed by some guy Lady Dimitrescu hired off craigslist.

Danknificent
Nov 20, 2015

Jinkies! Looks like we've got a mystery on our hands.
Evil scientist in 8:

Guys, I’m not collecting combat data on the v-virus in a dang spooky castle. You give me a lab in the basement where I can scatter my unhinged journal pages around with at least two cylindrical upright vats with ominous liquid and creepy samples and a safe with a keypad for the antidote or I walk. And you can just forget about it if I can’t bring the 200 pounds of C4 for the self destruct.

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

Ideally it will be a pastel colored rococo lab that's so busy with detail that I get a headache.

Lunatic Sledge
Jun 8, 2013

choose your own horror isekai sci-fi Souls-like urban fantasy gamer simulator adventure

or don't?
there will instead be an evil science labrador

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Secret lab hidden in the basement but it's for making meth not bioweapons

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

CuddleCryptid posted:

Secret lab hidden in the basement but it's for making meth not bioweapons

T virus with meth in it

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Ideally it will be a pastel colored rococo lab that's so busy with detail that I get a headache.

Go all out. The badguys are all in Eyes Wide Shut costumes and the evil lab is a Rube Goldberg machine of traps and spaghetti tubes with mysterious liquids all with an oversaturated palette.

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

al-azad posted:

Go all out. The badguys are all in Eyes Wide Shut costumes and the evil lab is a Rube Goldberg machine of traps and spaghetti tubes with mysterious liquids all with an oversaturated palette.

I'm not gonna get my hopes up, but also I totally am.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
I love how even loving Onimusha had the secret hidden lab.

Has there been an RE game that didn't have a secret lab in it?

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

FirstAidKite posted:

I love how even loving Onimusha had the secret hidden lab.

Has there been an RE game that didn't have a secret lab in it?

Rev 2 the lab isn't especially secret I guess.

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

Village, Castle, Lab!

It is ordained, so shall it be!

Sometimes native ruins are wedged in between

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Then again there hasn't been an evil lab in any of the marketing so there probably isn't going to be one

Real post, where's my onimusha 2 hd port crapcom

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Is anyone looking forward to The Medium? The concept seems pretty neat and I think it's debuting on PC Gamepass tomorrow.

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

I have it pre-ordered on Steam and am pretty stoked to play it. The aesthetic looks fantastic and I've got not preconceptions about the gameplay yet.

Piss Witch
Oct 23, 2005

exquisite tea posted:

Is anyone looking forward to The Medium? The concept seems pretty neat and I think it's debuting on PC Gamepass tomorrow.

Yeah already got it preloaded. I’m sold on the concept but the gameplay they showed recently was a bit iffy, and also it’s bloober team and I don’t like any of their other games. I’m in for a mixed time!

Carmant
Nov 23, 2015

Treadmill? What's that? Is that some kind of cake?

exquisite tea posted:

The review embargo just lifted and reviews are actually pretty positive. I was planning on playing it either way, but it seems like it might be an actual good game.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."
My only concern right now with The Medium is that it seems to not be the most well-optimized game at the moment. Frame rates on things like the RTX 3080–even at 1080p high with RTX disabled—seem to be way lower than one might hope.

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

My only concern right now with The Medium is that it seems to not be the most well-optimized game at the moment. Frame rates on things like the RTX 3080–even at 1080p high with RTX disabled—seem to be way lower than one might hope.

Maybe set it to... Medium...Low ;D

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
The optimization is definitely not... well-done.

:rimshot:

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
How many reviews that have tepid opinions on The Medium are going to use that vein of joke

Marzzle
Dec 1, 2004

Bursting with flavor

al-azad posted:

what's that movie? sorta reminds me of suprisaria but I don't think that guy was in it

Irony.or.Death
Apr 1, 2009

That's The Abominable Dr. Phibes, which is an all-time great you should watch immediately

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Irony.or.Death posted:

That's The Abominable Dr. Phibes, which is an all-time great you should watch immediately

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wy9BF_TZ-Go