Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Camrath posted:

Literally the only time I’ve used trigonometry is playing submarine sims.
I vaguely remember a maths effortpost from long ago asserting that the maths taught in school was decided around the time of WWII and all the trigonometry stuff still gets taught because it was useful for calculating bomb trajectories and such, and arguing that the whole syllabus needs a massive overhaul because it's decades out of date from anything useful for the modern world.

Not sure if that's the actual reason for the syllabus or not but it sure sounded true enough at the time for me to give you this second-hand account now :waycool:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I'm reminded of the concept of "shop math" as in, trigonometry when done by a machinist.

It's not that I think maths is inherently useless, it clearly isn't as it underpins a huge amount of useful technology and some people enjoy it aesthetically, but it is odd to me that they spent so much time teaching me it without at any point spending time to give me a reason to want to learn it or use it once I had.

It feels very much like educational ditch digging.

G1mby
Jun 8, 2014

TACD posted:

I vaguely remember a maths effortpost from long ago asserting that the maths taught in school was decided around the time of WWII and all the trigonometry stuff still gets taught because it was useful for calculating bomb trajectories and such, and arguing that the whole syllabus needs a massive overhaul because it's decades out of date from anything useful for the modern world.

Not sure if that's the actual reason for the syllabus or not but it sure sounded true enough at the time for me to give you this second-hand account now :waycool:

There's a fairly reasonable argument that all of physics is ballistics

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

OwlFancier posted:

I'm reminded of the concept of "shop math" as in, trigonometry when done by a machinist.

It's not that I think maths is inherently useless, it clearly isn't as it underpins a huge amount of useful technology and some people enjoy it aesthetically, but it is odd to me that they spent so much time teaching me it without at any point spending time to give me a reason to want to learn it or use it once I had.

I think it teaches a different way of thinking, logic and problem-solving that is broadly applicable.

That third world debt thing has made my blood boil.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Perhaps it does at higher levels but gcse level just taught me to get a lot better at exam papers.

And also that the secret is just to be slightly less bad than everyone else given that I didn't answer half the paper and still got a B.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

OwlFancier posted:

There's a good case for treating it as a purely creative exercise, rather than endlessly trying to 'apply' it to things.

That requires an education system that's okay with teaching things out of a sense of intellectual curiosity without a specific 'practical' end goal in mind, like art, music, and creative writing. Tories out in other words.

stev posted:

Starting every year with 'everything we taught you before is wrong, here's the real chemistry' gets old fast.
Chemistry, out of all of them, at least admits (as do the more honest teachers) that it started from some dude boiling a thousand gallons of piss in search of the Philosopher's Egg* and finding some glowing wax, and then got weirder from there, rather than some rigorous endeavour that emerged fully formed from a science textbook.

*as featured in Harry Potter and the Large Immobile Gamete

Wachter
Mar 23, 2007

You and whose knees?

OwlFancier posted:

I had a similar experience with English Lit GCSE, reading Shakespeare and stopping every 7 words to discuss whether that was a simile or a metaphor we just read

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

G1mby posted:

There's a fairly reasonable argument that all of physics is ballistics

All of life is just physics ;) Was just reading in Physics World about the latest research in Quantum Biology.

https://physicsworld.com/a/do-quantum-effects-play-a-role-in-consciousness/

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

The only school subject I learned anything practical from was music, because I was shut in a cupboard with a bass guitar and now I can still play most of Metallica's Black Album, which has more practical application than anything I ever learned for a maths exam.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Guavanaut posted:

There's a good case for treating it as a purely creative exercise, rather than endlessly trying to 'apply' it to things.

That requires an education system that's okay with teaching things out of a sense of intellectual curiosity without a specific 'practical' end goal in mind, like art, music, and creative writing. Tories out in other words.

I could also be an argument for that given that while I know people do experience maths creatively, the idea of doing it is kind of unfathomable to me. It is something you suffer through to achieve an end.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 17:13 on Jan 27, 2021

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

Gyro Zeppeli posted:

The only school subject I learned anything practical from was music, because I was shut in a cupboard with a bass guitar and now I can still play most of Metallica's Black Album, which has more practical application than anything I ever learned for a maths exam.

Is your name Darren?

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

OwlFancier posted:

Perhaps it does at higher levels but gcse level just taught me to get a lot better at exam papers.

And also that the secret is just to be slightly less bad than everyone else given that I didn't answer half the paper and still got a B.
At some point during secondary school I'd hosed around in lessons enough that I got moved down a set in maths (but still stayed in the same physical class, which was embarrassing)

Then after the GCSE everybody else was complaining how unfair and tough the top-set paper was, while I had a breeze with the intermediate-set paper and still got the same grade as most of my cohort :c00l:

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

JollyBoyJohn posted:

Is your name Darren?

It isn't, I'm afraid.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Camrath posted:

I used it a few years ago for both rangefinding and figuring out where to put the legs on my spider robot. Luv 2 inverse kinematics :awesomelon:

I did get pushed down to the 'Latin for idiots' class at school because I was dossing around too much as a 13 year old (though not quite badly enough to get dumped into the 'classical studies no language learning we promise' class), which was annoying because I came top of the 'idiots' class in our internal exams once I actually put some effort in but they still wouldn't let me do it for GCSE.

feedmegin fucked around with this message at 17:21 on Jan 27, 2021

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

OwlFancier posted:

I seem to remember we were introduced to the concept of basic equations in primary school.

Yeah typically some form of pre-algebra gets introduced in the form of "4 + [] = 13". In the states this sort of thing was recently reformed to create a more continuous foundation via Common Core maths and parents have been cranky about it.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

TACD posted:

At some point during secondary school I'd hosed around in lessons enough that I got moved down a set in maths (but still stayed in the same physical class, which was embarrassing)

Then after the GCSE everybody else was complaining how unfair and tough the top-set paper was, while I had a breeze with the intermediate-set paper and still got the same grade as most of my cohort :c00l:

I asked to sit the intermediate paper because I knew there was no way in hell I was gonna get a high grade, but the teacher said "no you need to sit the higher one" so I guess maybe a lot of people that year had a similar experience.

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP

Jose posted:

Lmao how did I not know he voted for Boris. I just assumed it would be the lib Dems

https://twitter.com/jrc1921/status/1354456298482524162?s=19

He voted for Boris as Mayor, not PM.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

So only about 15% of the deaths are acceptable.

G1mby
Jun 8, 2014

OwlFancier posted:

I could also be an argument for that given that while I know people do experience maths creatively, the idea of doing it is kind of unfathomable to me. It is something you suffer through to achieve an end.

This chap is quite good at entertaining maths - the geometry playlist is quite good for the more straightforward stuff : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ulzbICdw5Q

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Just got an email from Unite. They're doing a survey on Universal Credit:

Survey link: https://response.questback.com/unitetheunion/uc20

quote:

Are you or do you know someone who is on Universal Credit (UC) or working tax credits? We are conducting a survey regarding the £20 uplift to UC & WTC put in place at the start of the pandemic.

The £20 uplift to Universal Credit has been a lifeline for families during the pandemic. We want to know how you feel about it. The difference it has made through these difficult time and what it would mean to lose it.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

Lungboy posted:

He voted for Boris as Mayor, not PM.

Oh, phew, he just voted for the cause, not the effect.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
I call everyone at the temple a slur and then start a war, problem solved.

Lamont
Mar 31, 2007
Who knows what evil lurks in the hearts of men?

OwlFancier posted:

My parents started teaching me maths at the age of 3, I have maths and further maths A-levels and an engineering degree and have tutored maths for close to a decade, and this is still how I feel about maths

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

Guavanaut posted:

I call everyone at the temple a slur and then start a war, problem solved.

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

KartooshFace, you are not responding efficiently!

stev posted:

That's probably why I didn't get on with science. Starting every year with 'everything we taught you before is wrong, here's the real chemistry' gets old fast.

This used to annoy me so much. Especially since the system is set up to reward people who take the "truth" on board and regurgitate it at exam time. The giant "last year was all lies" at the start of A level-equivalent chemistry is what screwed me up, and I never recovered.

I always thought it would be fun to teach maths the other way up. Start primary school with sets and matrices and elliptic curves, and finish at 18 with "and that's why 1+1=2". But there are probably some downsides I don't see.

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

I consider that one of the purposes of education is to introduce kids to a whole range of subjects they wouldn't get to see otherwise (and find out - just maybe it's something they enjoy and/or are good at). So for everyone who has never used more than basic arithmetic since school, there are those who have never picked up a musical instrument or piece of music, or get all their history straight from Ancient Aliens or whatever.

Agree with this, and also extra-curricular activities. Over the years at secondary school, I dabbled in cricket, karate, film making, orchestra, theatre and misc other things. Most didn't stick, but I fell in love with stage lighting. There's a reason my industry is so white and posh, and it could be massively helped by all schools having the same facilities as the private ones.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

G1mby posted:

This chap is quite good at entertaining maths - the geometry playlist is quite good for the more straightforward stuff : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ulzbICdw5Q

I will have a look, cheers.

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes
i miss being able to do university-level abstract mathematics. one day i will find my notes and remember what exactly all those words in algebraic topology meant. probably won't ever understand category theory though, i have accepted that about myself

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Camrath posted:

Though working out firing solutions with pencil and paper did make teenaged me feel cool as poo poo.

Calculating and adjusting artillery fire missions from the observer end is just trigonometry, though they trick soldiers by not mentioning trig and just saying 1 miliradian @ 1km = 1m.

(And rounding pi to 3.2)

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

Angepain posted:

i miss being able to do university-level abstract mathematics. one day i will find my notes and remember what exactly all those words in algebraic topology meant. probably won't ever understand category theory though, i have accepted that about myself

"arrows"

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
I've finally figured out who Boris reminds me of in PMQ

https://twitter.com/Independent/status/1354467622692278272

its uncanny

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
The only maths ordinary people need to know is:

Basic arithmetic
Percentages
Probability

Cover those 3 and you've covered everything that 95%+ of the population will ever need to know about, or use. Who the gently caress cares about y=mx+c or differentiation or calculating the volume of a cylinder and bollocks like that.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

knox_harrington posted:

(And rounding pi to 3.2)

... why? It's 3.141, 3.1 would be more accurate..?

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

All of life is just physics ;) Was just reading in Physics World about the latest research in Quantum Biology.

https://physicsworld.com/a/do-quantum-effects-play-a-role-in-consciousness/

Quantum mechanics absolutely play a role in cellular respiration and it is god drat fascinating

(I've been reading a book called the vital question)

Might do a little post on it later

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

We're now losing significantly more, every day, than the single worst day for deaths during the Blitz.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
The skill I see adults needing and not possessing most these days is basic spreadsheets. Nothing fancy, just being able to do adding, subtraction, multiplication, sums and averages in a spreadsheet. Maybe a lookup table if you wanna show off.

Watching people doing sums on a calculator and putting the answers into Excel was painful.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
I remember seeing my friends Higher Maths past papers in High School. That hsit is loving voodoo, people who understand it might as well speak a different language from me.

In fairness both friends are now well paid engineers so it seems beneficial to know that poo poo

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Gort posted:

The skill I see adults needing and not possessing most these days is basic spreadsheets. Nothing fancy, just being able to do adding, subtraction, multiplication, sums and averages in a spreadsheet. Maybe a lookup table if you wanna show off.

Watching people doing sums on a calculator and putting the answers into Excel was painful.

The gently caress do you use excel for if not to do maths automatically?

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

OwlFancier posted:

You'd be amazed mate. Although at the last World Cup someone made an absolutely class mega-tabbed XLSX to keep track of the office pool, including a few superfluous VLOOKUPs

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Gort posted:

Oh god yes. Following a reorganisation in one company I worked at, I was sharing an office with someone from the other lot. She was put in charge of budgets. Huge spreadsheets. She used to do exactly that. So if one number changed she had to redo the whole darn lot.
We didn't exactly get on. And one day my boss said to me "she works so hard" and I said "have you seen what she does? What takes her 4 hours I could do in less than 30 minutes!" (well actually in 5 minutes but I didn't tell him that).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes

OwlFancier posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OrwBc6PwAcY