Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

C...
Jan 22, 2008

Tootin the Doom Flute has led the Kingdom of Ankist into a new age of illumination. Every morning, people wake up and open palm slam a woodwind instrument into their mouth. It is the Doom Flute and right then and there they start playing the notes. They play every note, and they play every note hard

Quackles posted:

I know you're trying to sow discord, and please note that it's not funny. House Daucus really wants this.

Perhaps I should amend what I said earlier.

(edit: updated proposal)

Proposal: House Daucus will pay House Pinchay 5 Coins for 3+ Power on an Aye vote, or 3 Coins for 2 Power on Aye. Additionally, if House Pinchay takes this deal, House Daucus shall vote Aye with at least as much Power as House Pinchay has agreed to within the terms of this deal.

The fine print: If House Pinchay votes Aye 2, House Daucus will vote Aye 2+. If House Pinchay votes Aye 3 or more, House Daucus will vote Aye 3 or more, but may spend more or less power than House Pinchay's vote.

Sitting Council Member

As much fun as Spork is surely having, Gambol stands with Daucus in having none of it.

Having spoken with my navigator, House Gambol will match House Daucus' payments in this proposal to House Pinchay.

C... posted:

House Pinchay - as the two Least Checkboxed families, I suggest we forward one anothers' interests, whenever possible. Obviously not enforceable, just an expression of mutual goodwill; what say you?

Blastinus posted:

Acting Foreman

A mutually beneficial alliance would be appreciated. I look forward to working with you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.
We have now passed the midpoint to the deadline for this vote - in about 23h.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Pressure's getting hotter.

Mostly Accurate Senate Status Report
brought to you by House Daucus

Power/Coins

House Lethe: 4 Power, 8 Coins
House Gambol: 4 Power, 11 Coins
House Pinchay: 5 Power, 10 Coins
House Cyfoeth: 10 Power, 11 Coins
House Daucus: 9 Power, 14 Coins

Pressure Rating
This is a new feature of the Report where I 'take the temperature' of the intensity of the debate, and provide my analysis.

Medium - Large amounts of money and power are being thrown around, but it's a weird hybrid between bluffs and everyone wanting to safeguard the Power pool. This isn't as fiercely fought as the end of last Reign, though.

Hidden Agenda Prediction
The usual warning applies.

House Lethe is doing its best to provoke a Nay vote, but one wonders if it's not all a distraction to Pass and Gather Power.

Agenda: Extremist
Confidence: ## _ _ _

House Gambol has thrown its lot in a coalition! Can we uncover the secrets of the desert?
(they'll probably Pass, though, which is why they're providing financial support instead)

Agenda: Opulent
Confidence: ### _ _

House Pinchay is where it comes down to. They probably want to Pass, but everyone is trying to bribe them to pick a side. How will they choose? Will they choose at all?
Agenda: Could be anything! (analysis depends on how they vote)
Confidence:

House Cyfoeth has let themselves be paid off. A fine policy.

Agenda: Rebel or Greedy
Confidence: ## _ _ _

House Daucus is spearheading a bold new initiative!

Agenda: I've got You Spin Me Round (Like a Record) stuck in my head.
Disclaimer: I can't speak for the rest of House Daucus in this one.
Confidence: #####

Quackles fucked around with this message at 22:40 on Jan 26, 2021

grandalt
Feb 26, 2013

I didn't fight through two wars to rule
I fought for the future of the world

And the right to have hot tea whenever I wanted

C... posted:

Sitting Council Member

As much fun as Spork is surely having, Gambol stands with Daucus in having none of it.

Having spoken with my navigator, House Gambol will match House Daucus' payments in this proposal to House Pinchay.

Quackles posted:

I know you're trying to sow discord, and please note that it's not funny. House Daucus really wants this.

Perhaps I should amend what I said earlier.

(edit: updated proposal)

Proposal: House Daucus will pay House Pinchay 5 Coins for 3+ Power on an Aye vote, or 3 Coins for 2 Power on Aye. Additionally, if House Pinchay takes this deal, House Daucus shall vote Aye with at least as much Power as House Pinchay has agreed to within the terms of this deal.

The fine print: If House Pinchay votes Aye 2, House Daucus will vote Aye 2+. If House Pinchay votes Aye 3 or more, House Daucus will vote Aye 3 or more, but may spend more or less power than House Pinchay's vote.

{Councilmember

So, I understand, if we agree to these agreements, House Daucus and House Gambol will both pay us in the ratio stated if we vote yes? Assuming that is the case, I say Yes to these. A three power towards the aye.

grandalt fucked around with this message at 04:07 on Jan 27, 2021

Nea
Feb 28, 2014

Funny Little Guy Aficionado.

grandalt posted:

{Councilmember

So, I understand, if we agree to these agreements, House Daucus and House Gambol will both pay us in the ratio stated if we vote yes? Assuming that is the case, I say Yes to these. A three power towards the aye.

Treasurer

Yep! That's correct.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

grandalt posted:

{Councilmember

Sitting Councilmember

You understand it perfectly.

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.

grandalt posted:

{Councilmember

Witnessed!

Update in a bit :)

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

Reign of King Blythe I, Dilemma 3, Resolution

Vote Results posted:

Votes Aye, spends 3 Power (current: 2), gains 10 Coins (current: 20).

Votes Pass and gather Power, gains 5 Power (current: 9), spends 11 Coins, gains 1 Coin back (current: 1).

Votes Aye, spends 3 Power (current: 7), gains 6 Coins (current: 17).

Votes Aye, spends 4 Power (current: 5), spends 5 Coins (current: 9).

Votes Pass and gather Power, gains 5 Power (current: 9), gains 1 Coins (current: 9).

The Ayes have it!

Vote Outcome posted:

Envelope opened: -
N/A.

Resources and Stability change:

With a +3 Stability uptick, King Blythe is dangerously close to a birdie on Harold V's par.

Chronicle stickers:

No changes.

Reign of King Blythe I, Dilemma 4

History of the Kingdom of Ankist posted:

Hall of Kings

Storyline:

Storyline:

- Foreman/Sitting Councilmember: Slaan (also Treasurer)

- Sitting Councilmember: Nea
- Treasurer/Navigator: LPFinale

- Sitting Councilmember: Fat Samurai (also Treasurer)

- High Scholar/Sitting Councilmember: Oblivion4568238 (also Treasurer)

- Sitting Councilmember: Covski
- Treasurer/Negotiator: megane

Dilemma4 posted:

Stakes:

With the 1 Power left from the previous Dilemma, the Pot is back at 11 Power tokens.
For your convenience, I've also started announcing the current Sitting Councilmember (and Treasurer) in your House's channel. The rotation is quick enough that a few people have been caught unaware that their turn on the saddle was back, this should make things easier :)

:siren::siren::siren:
A 48h voting window is now open!
- Sitting Councilmembers can send me a PM/Email with their final decision. Please consult the OP if you need a refresher on the rules!
- Treasurers can now start bribing. Please consult the OP if you need a refresher on the rules!
- Senators are free to discuss the Dilemma and provide their feedback. Don't forget that every choice could have consequences that are not spelled out outright on the front of the card! Also, please remember that the thread is the main discussion platform for your vote intention - the Sheet is only to be used when discussing high level strategy, bargaining strategies and items on the sheet itself.
:siren::siren::siren:

That Italian Guy fucked around with this message at 12:15 on Jan 27, 2021

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.

House Cyfoeth, Dukes of Coden
Councilman

Throne room. A nobleman with a bunch of scrolls under his arm, talking to a carpenter.

"Listen, John. That door is big and fancy, all noble wood and everything. Heavy, solid stuff. Very impressive. Very good work indeed. The thing, you see, the thing is, it's not practical"

"What do you mean "practical"? It's a throne room door. You have your standard pages on the side, your trumpet boys, the chap on the fancy hat shouting the names of the posh people coming in... All very traditional. It's how things are done"

"We know, John. This is not a complaint. It’s a perfectly fine door, and you did a great job. Love the gargoyles and the vine leaves and the cherubs and everything. It’s just that, well, these days people are in a hurry, and we need four people to push it open it each time, and it takes fifteen minutes to do so. We have to keep a timetable."

“So what? Last week we had the new King’s coronation ceremony. The procession lasted for hours! We had to make stops for the Archbishop to go and have a wee! The point of the door is not to be fast, it's to be impressive!”

“Yes, well, the we’re trying to be a bit more dynamic, proactive, and really focus in the core competences of the Monarchy. You know, sending people back and forth, issuing Royal Decrees, collecting taxes.. We’re kinda leaving all that pomp to the Church. You know how much the Mother loves her sermons and their fancy bathrobes.”

"Ok. Listen. I don’t care. You want a new door, I make you a new door. What do you want?”

“Could you make the door rotate on its axis?”

Esir: this is not an intention to vote, BTW, I didn’t notice TIG had posted.

Fat Samurai fucked around with this message at 12:12 on Jan 27, 2021

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

Fat Samurai's post is good reminder that we never discussed the passage of time. To be fair, this is never clearly stated in the rulebook - aside for the remark that each player is going to take the role of different Nobles from the same House, generation after generation.

What we do know is that, after a new King is selected, they may die of natural causes from the 7th Dilemma onward. Since this is an electoral monarchy, we can assume most Kings are not going to be elected as children, or even teens - since there is probably a vast list of powerful nobles looking at the throne with anticipation. So unless someone really remarkable stands out, we may assume most Kings are men in their prime, with potentially a long life ahead of them. In real life, the median age for coronation (surprisingly, both for elective and for primogeniture) in Europe between 1000 and 1800 was 39 and a bit. Let's make it a round number and call it 40.

Now, there is a common trope that people in ancient times lived a very short life, with an average life expectancy in the 30s. While the average is true, this is mostly due to the incredible low rate of survival in the earliest stages of one's life; in fact, if you made it past childhood, you would have a life expectancy that, while shorter than today (due to advancements in medicine, nutrition, etc), was still pushing 60s. A monarch would have access to better nutrition and "healthcare" compared to a commoner, so they could easily live on average to 65 (unless their life was cut short by non-natural causes, of course).

In our game, a King may incur in natural death from the 7th Dilemma onward, during their reign. If we use the guidelines above and we fudge a bit the numbers (since a King is not likely to die on the very 7th Dilemma), we can say that the first Dilemma happens around age 40 for a new monarch; and their death is expected around Dilemma 8 or 9, at 65 years old. This means that, on average about 3 years pass between each Dilemma - it may be more or less, depending on what makes sense in the context, of course.

So, armed with that knowledge, we could say that King Harald V's reign lasted for about 15 years, during which Ankist has discovered a new metal; used it to forge new weaponry and a kickass kingly sword; started an initiative to rebuild windmills that were apparently sabotaged; launched an expedition into distant lands, to recover a mythical ancient treasure; made significant progress in the field of medicine; and had a period of tentative integration - that was aborted, in the end - with a nomadic population that wanted to settle on its borders. After that, Harald V had a good 10 more years to spend in meditation at the monastery.

So while the feeling of this being a revolving door monarchy may be there, this has not been the case, at least in theory (NOTE: this is no way a critique of Fat Samurai's excellent dad joke :D). If King Blythe was to be deposed on the next Dilemma, they would have served for more than 10 years already :allears:

That Italian Guy fucked around with this message at 12:54 on Jan 27, 2021

Bellmaker
Oct 18, 2008

Chapter DOOF

Even if we aren't able to acquire more metal for the time being, the symbol of our people still remains. It would be foolish to enter another territory's domain for more of it, especially after the foolish exhaustion of our resources spent looking for remnants of this "Sun Empire". Another distraction outside our borders will allow the other nobles to consolidate their already significant power, enough so to destabilize the realm.

Blessed be The Mother.

Blastinus
Feb 28, 2010

Time to try my luck
:rolldice:
Crap.

Senator

Well, King Blythe had a good run. Let's aid the smugglers! We might get ourselves some more red iron scalpels out of the deal, after all. No shortage of people who need scarlet pointy things.

C...
Jan 22, 2008

Tootin the Doom Flute has led the Kingdom of Ankist into a new age of illumination. Every morning, people wake up and open palm slam a woodwind instrument into their mouth. It is the Doom Flute and right then and there they start playing the notes. They play every note, and they play every note hard

Bellmaker posted:

Even if we aren't able to acquire more metal for the time being, the symbol of our people still remains. It would be foolish to enter another territory's domain for more of it, especially after the foolish exhaustion of our resources spent looking for remnants of this "Sun Empire". Another distraction outside our borders will allow the other nobles to consolidate their already significant power, enough so to destabilize the realm.

Blessed be The Mother.

Senator

I... agree with house Lethe. What strange melancholia has overcome me? Am I in Death's embrace?

This feels very specifically that it will trigger a "have a strong military or suffer" circumstance, and our military is only middling. With so many forces sent south for science we can spare few for the northern reaches.

Nea
Feb 28, 2014

Navigator

I have a proposal. I think my mate here is right, and the no is rather tempting. We don't want to end the reign of king Blythe here, so early. But... Knowledge is e'er tempting. And the coffers of house Gambol are so tragically low.

If the collected houses of the kingdom pay Gambol 16 coins, we will vote fully on yes with all nine power. Otherwise, we will vote no. I've run the numbers, if we and Lethe both go all in there's no way for you to win this debate. If we go all in on yes, there's no way for you to lose as long as one or two power are spent.

Sighence
Aug 26, 2009

Send A Torrent

Or, y'know, we all just use our own power to tap it over the edge because we have more power than your little extortion attempt can overcome. I say you pay is your (one) coin to refrain from using our full power on Aye.

Nea
Feb 28, 2014

Navigator

All houses but us and Lethe have 15 power, us and Lethe together have 18 power. So, no, I think you will need to chip in for our war chest if you want an aye.

Sighence
Aug 26, 2009

Senator

You assume Lethe is.fully.on board your scheme to blow out both your houses' power.

I know I am.

Nea
Feb 28, 2014

Navigator

If they say they aren't, i'll call an audible and do something else. It's fine.

LPFinale
Dec 8, 2019

Treasurer

OoC: I'd just like the record to show that I'm completely fine with Nea handling Treasurer things right now where they feel they're appropriate. I don't have much time to spend on this right now, but I don't want Treasurer powers to go to waste. I hope to make a better showing when I'm not needing to nap every couple of hours, that kinda caught me off guard shortly after I signed up.

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

Take care LPFinale!

And a general friendly reminder for everyone: given the volume of chatter in most Houses' Discord channel, I'd like to see some more opinions posted itt as well :)

megane
Jun 20, 2008

Treasurer

A ridiculous idea. Do we have not one scrap of concern for our own citizens? Are we to spend every ounce of effort and every penny in the treasury sending idiotic expeditions into distant lands on the basis of blind guesswork?

StupidSexyMothman
Aug 9, 2010

megane posted:

Treasurer

A ridiculous idea. Do we have not one scrap of concern for our own citizens? Are we to spend every ounce of effort and every penny in the treasury sending idiotic expeditions into distant lands on the basis of blind guesswork?

Senator

Yes!

Blastinus
Feb 28, 2010

Time to try my luck
:rolldice:
Crap.

megane posted:

Treasurer

Senator

To be fair, our expeditions and ventures have gotten us a ceremonial weapon, advances in surgery, revelations concerning our national faith, and so forth. To date, not a single investment has gone sour.

That being said, this ongoing issue is not something that House Pinchay has much authority to sway. Even if we put money down for Gambol's support, we will assuredly not be the signer, Aye or Nay. We can only provide suggestions at this point.

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

thekingsdilemma.jpg

C...
Jan 22, 2008

Blastinus posted:

Senator

To be fair, our expeditions and ventures have gotten us a ceremonial weapon, advances in surgery, revelations concerning our national faith, and so forth. To date, not a single investment has gone sour.

That being said, this ongoing issue is not something that House Pinchay has much authority to sway. Even if we put money down for Gambol's support, we will assuredly not be the signer, Aye or Nay. We can only provide suggestions at this point.

Senator

There is an uncalled bet on whether our dealings with the City of Tents are going to hose us, but the rest of these are true. There's always wonders over the horizon.

TravelLog
Jul 22, 2013

He's a mean one, Mr. Roy.

That Italian Guy posted:

thekingsdilemma.jpg

Senator

"They called us mad! But who is laughing now? Hahahahahahahahaha!!!!"

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Nea posted:

Navigator

I have a proposal. I think my mate here is right, and the no is rather tempting. We don't want to end the reign of king Blythe here, so early. But... Knowledge is e'er tempting. And the coffers of house Gambol are so tragically low.

If the collected houses of the kingdom pay Gambol 16 coins, we will vote fully on yes with all nine power. Otherwise, we will vote no. I've run the numbers, if we and Lethe both go all in there's no way for you to win this debate. If we go all in on yes, there's no way for you to lose as long as one or two power are spent.

...ooooor we could just sandbag and let you eat that fine negative sticker. You and House Lethe have the same amount of power, so one of you will end up with it.

More importantly, you'll note I've predicted you are Opulent. Such a move would guarantee you win the game and get a positive sticker in the offing.

Incidentally, I figured that you would be greater disposed to working with House Daucus this round after we helped you with House Pinchay last round, so I encourage you to show more compassion and fellow-feeling. The stickers and checkboxes in this game aren't the only legacy effects, after all. Some of the strongest ones are in the players' heads.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH

Foreperson

Seems to me like this is a fools errand. What do we care if these smugglers went and got themselves killed? We have already reaped the rewards from our previous dealings with the these rogues. We paid and worked hard, so time to use these benefits to play hard. We should vote Nay, good nobles so that our military can take a well earned break

eliasswift
Jan 12, 2021

Now, let's count up your sins!

Senator
The bespectacled man with a table full of papers, the one who had been the High Scholar but twelve years ago, sits at his senator seat, once again going over the papers. He grumbles softly as he watches the ultimatum laid out by the other houses.

"...I am of two minds on this. Of course, it is known that House Daucus has an open agenda made a commitment to the people that we will enhance the knowledge of our kingdom. As such supporting this cause is something that our house is openly in favor of. On the other hand, there may still be a rebel among us, and for all House Daucus felt for Harald V... We put in a king we support. King Blythe I is a noble and pious man and for us to try to oust him so soon..." He clicked his tongue for a moment. "However..."

Nea posted:

Navigator

"This offer is madness. Whatever secret agendas your house has, you are asking us to pay you to get put in the history books as a hero... But if we don't pay you, you'll be seen as a villain for knowledge. I guess that's really up to you, though."

C...
Jan 22, 2008

eliasswift posted:

Senator
The bespectacled man with a table full of papers, the one who had been the High Scholar but twelve years ago, sits at his senator seat, once again going over the papers. He grumbles softly as he watches the ultimatum laid out by the other houses.

"This offer is madness. Whatever secret agendas your house has, you are asking us to pay you to get put in the history books as a hero... But if we don't pay you, you'll be seen as a villain for knowledge. I guess that's really up to you, though."

Senator

Madness? History shall decide. All must agree, though, that Nea changes the game, Tilde steel her. In the meantime, we are not immune to counter-offers.

TravelLog
Jul 22, 2013

He's a mean one, Mr. Roy.

Senator

The lean man from House Daucus, all business now in his black doublet with silver accents, addresses Houses Cyfoeth and Gambol. "Is there any circumstances which might lead each of your houses to put forth 4, and exactly 4, power towards Aye here so that we might achieve victory by putting forth enough power to circumvent the 11 power that Houses Lethe and Pinchay might bring to bear?"

Covski
Jun 24, 2007

Bringing the forums together with the greatest thread!

Sitting Councilmember

Once again the madmen of house Daucus want to rally the nobility of the kingdom behind their latest whim. In all honesty, I tire of all the drama relating to this fabled red steel which we advised against procuring in the first place. For now I shall keep an open mind about this issue if the Mother wills, but this bickering should be beneath us all us all, as servants of the Kingdom under Her eye.

Blessed be the Mother.

Nea
Feb 28, 2014

Quackles posted:

...ooooor we could just sandbag and let you eat that fine negative sticker. You and House Lethe have the same amount of power, so one of you will end up with it.

More importantly, you'll note I've predicted you are Opulent. Such a move would guarantee you win the game and get a positive sticker in the offing.

Incidentally, I figured that you would be greater disposed to working with House Daucus this round after we helped you with House Pinchay last round, so I encourage you to show more compassion and fellow-feeling. The stickers and checkboxes in this game aren't the only legacy effects, after all. Some of the strongest ones are in the players' heads.

Navigator

Fair enough, I was being foolish. However, I will note that my house is /not/ opulent, and we would not thusly win the game, otherwise I would have simply voted yes to begin with.

While your friend down the thread has offered us to pay for four power, given the only real way to extend the game would be to eat a negative sticker, and no one is going for what, i will fully admit, was an unreasonable shot to take...

House Gambol intends to vote Aye with nine power.

megane
Jun 20, 2008

Treasurer

And to think I believed House Gambol had managed to grow a spine instead of just being House Daucus' thug.

Bellmaker
Oct 18, 2008

Chapter DOOF

megane posted:

Treasurer

And to think I believed House Gambol had managed to grow a spine instead of just being House Daucus' thug.

Aegna reaps for those who sow folly, I am sure they will see the error of their ways soon. Whether it is by our northern border, the southern sojourn, or by this red iron remains to be seen.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH

Foreperson

Gentlemen and ladies! Please, let us not call each other names like common brigands squabbling over a stolen pie. Surely we can speak as educated nobles in discussion with each other regarding the realm's problems (such as the overuse is military resources on foreign boondoggles) rather than fighting like tomcats!

Covski
Jun 24, 2007

Bringing the forums together with the greatest thread!

"While the cats fight over the rat, the hawk will watch for the best meal."

Blessed be the Mother.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

megane posted:

Treasurer

No, no, we're their thug. :v:

scavy131
Dec 21, 2017

Senator

My Lords, let us all keep our heads firmly on straight, and our tongues held carefully in check lest they lash out in anger. I know high sums have been bandied about but I'd concur with my esteemed counterpart from House Pinchay that we should turn our consternation from each other and towards the problems facing His Majesty King Blythe's realm, long may he reign.

We have at least for most of His Majesty's most glorious reign focused our attentions along and beyond the southern borders, do we believe that the kingdom can afford to have its attention focused at both hinterlands?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

C...
Jan 22, 2008

Slaan posted:

Foreperson

Gentlemen and ladies! Please, let us not call each other names like common brigands squabbling over a stolen pie.

Senator

Spoken like a man who isn't down a pie!