Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Badactura
Feb 14, 2019

My wish lives in the future.
I've played a ton of pubg but exclusively with 2-4 friends, wouldn't touch it otherwise. We play deep rock galactic now or more likely chat while playing separate rimworld games.

I like survival stuff in theory in games but it's usually really tedious and boring when it shows up, and is almost always attached to a crafting system. If it can be designed in a way that's not just 'different meters you have to keep in the green by clicking on an item' I'd appreciate that.

I miss decent drunkenness filters in games. Deep rock actually has a great one and it reminded me of playing the og deus ex and making the screen unreadable by drinking a dozen forties. Most recent games that include the function have it be pretty temporary and lackluster

Edit: subs are better bc if you don't speak the language you can't tell how stilted the actors sound

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

Disco Pope posted:

I went missing as a kid in Perth because I wanted to find an arcade really badly. I ended up on the motor mile.

Hahaha, I have no idea if I've ever even seen an arcade in Perth but if it helps when I was 3 I burst into tears when my folks took me to Codonas in Aberdeen

Rutibex posted:

diablo 3 is a waste of time. Hades is the perfect ARPG for casuals, and Path of Exile is the perfect ARPG for true gamers.

Diablo 3 is best for no one

I can't describe what I found so off putting about Path of Exhile - everything suggested I would love it - it felt quite slow I suppose and the art style was way too dark and gothic in away that doesn't appeal to me. Also it was free so its clearly trash. Even my ARPG loving friend who unironically wants to play Baldurs Gate; Dark Alliance in TYOL 2021 thought it was boring.

Rutibex posted:

just play minecraft, we know thats what you really want. its ok i wont tell anyone your playing as kids game, we understand

I kinda do want to play Minecraft but also it's been like 10 years and they've probably added a bunch of stuff I don't understand. Do people still play Minecraft?

hawowanlawow posted:

pubg never had crafting, it's just a shooter

I kinda realised this as soon as I posted it but from what I watched of rust it basically seemed like pubg but instead of "dropping from a plane" its "hit people with rocks and gather enough wood to make a pistol" - the end goals the same and thats why they are trash.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

JollyBoyJohn posted:

I can't describe what I found so off putting about Path of Exhile - everything suggested I would love it - it felt quite slow
:psyduck:
slow? what sort of games are you playing?!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HhfLHnvhtPc&t=18s

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

it was pretty slow in uh, 2014

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

hawowanlawow posted:

pubg never had crafting, it's just a shooter

the biggest problem I had with pubg was that the warm-up lobby lasted way too long. like, I would be sitting there in a lobby with 95 players all waiting for 55 seconds for no reason, then you wait another minute for the plane to fly over, then if you get unlucky you get owned in 3 seconds because someone landed closer to a shotgun or whatever

and I gotta say, rust has one of the worst communities of players I've ever seen. It's like CS in 2004

I’ve never played a battle royale that didn’t have a stupidly long wait to actually start playing, it’s obnoxious and why I don’t really play BR games.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

Rutibex posted:

:psyduck:
slow? what sort of games are you playing?!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HhfLHnvhtPc&t=18s

I dunno man I only played it for like an hour, maybe it was a mood thing but nothing about it screamed PLAY ME MORE

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

JollyBoyJohn posted:

I dunno man I only played it for like an hour, maybe it was a mood thing but nothing about it screamed PLAY ME MORE

yeah thats fair if your not into holocaust corpse pile aesthetics POE might turn an average person off a bit
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zpSDNpn8f3Q

Rutibex fucked around with this message at 18:27 on Jan 27, 2021

tripwood
Jul 21, 2003

"Cuno can see you're trying to shit him, but Cuno's unshittable, so fuck does Cuno care?"

Hint: He doesn't care.
PoE is good, but you have to follow a build guide if you want to have a decent character. I've been doing an Inquisitor Storm Brand build and it melts everything in its path. The game has hundreds of skills that can all interact with each other so you have to enjoy trying to break the game to really enjoy it imo.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

when i was a kid playing nintendo games my mom would look at the screen and say "i have no idea what im looking at" like she couldnt make out basic elements of what was going on like mario or a mushroom or bricks or whatever. and thats how i feel when i look at clips of PoE

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Rutibex posted:

yeah thats fair if your not it holocaust corpse pile aesthetics POE might turn an average person off a bit
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zpSDNpn8f3Q

To be fair it's super common for arpgs to have a holocaust corpse pile tileset or 5, for whatever reason. I think the only one that I've played a lot of that didn't have one is Marvel Heroes.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
I've kinda avoided PoE because I don't like playing online only games I'm gonna solo anyways, but does it have controller support

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

Earwicker posted:

when i was a kid playing nintendo games my mom would look at the screen and say "i have no idea what im looking at" like she couldnt make out basic elements of what was going on like mario or a mushroom or bricks or whatever. and thats how i feel when i look at clips of PoE

I share this feeling!

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray
I paid less attention to the gigantic big titty goth lady than chris redfield being an absolute unit all the sudden

https://twitter.com/unrooolie/status/1271205034110275585

3D Megadoodoo posted:

They're obviously not PCs as they are meant for the whole family to enjoy, with built-in support for multiple simultaneous users.

PCs can do that too though, you just need to buy controllers like you would with a console. My computer has like ten usb ports, and I can turn one usb port into 6 usb ports with a splitter.

This is a discussion that will never really end because people want to justify consoles and they do have some benefits. Once you're accustomed to the freedom of the PC though, it's hard to imagine going back. The only thing that REMOTELY tempts me is the Playstation exclusives, that's a good marketing strategy they've built, but I'm also patient and believe many of these games will be available on PC eventually, so they can wring more money out of the same work. Individual games don't excite me so much that I'd be tempted, I already have way more games than I could ever play through in a lifetime.

Rutibex posted:

diablo 3 is a waste of time. Hades is the perfect ARPG for casuals, and Path of Exile is the perfect ARPG for true gamers.

Diablo 3 is best for no one

I don't even get these comparisons at all. Hades is not an ARPG, it's more of a roguelite beat em up. And Path of Exile/Diablo 3 are crappy, mixmax online garbage where the only challenge is how many hours of your life you're willing to pour down the drain.

The fighting in Hades is not SUPER complex but it's fast and kinetic and can be as challenging as you want it to be depending on HEAT settings. The five weapons all play differently enough, which was awesome, and the enemies are varied and pretty. I admittedly started getting bored after beating Hades a few times, but I still probably put in a good 20 hours into the game, which is a lot for me.

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

The Moon Monster posted:

To be fair it's super common for arpgs to have a holocaust corpse pile tileset or 5, for whatever reason. I think the only one that I've played a lot of that didn't have one is Marvel Heroes.

*laughs in Grim Dawn*

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

site posted:

I've kinda avoided PoE because I don't like playing online only games I'm gonna solo anyways, but does it have controller support

PoE is definitely a lot worse for being designed from the ground up as a multiplayer experience. It would be way better if MP was just tacked on as an afterthought like in a good ARPG. Of course then they'd have needed a different business model.

MrQueasy
Nov 15, 2005

Probiot-ICK

Play posted:

The fighting in Hades is not SUPER complex but it's fast and kinetic and can be as challenging as you want it to be depending on HEAT settings. The five weapons all play differently enough, which was awesome, and the enemies are varied and pretty. I admittedly started getting bored after beating Hades a few times, but I still probably put in a good 20 hours into the game, which is a lot for me.

Hades is similar in feel to Binding of Isaac, but I'm not embarrassed to play it with my mom watching.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

Play posted:

The fighting in Hades is not SUPER complex but it's fast and kinetic and can be as challenging as you want it to be depending on HEAT settings.

You know a games designers have knocked it out the park when they include an invulnerability mode in the options menu "in case you want to see the story" lol

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

JollyBoyJohn posted:

You know a games designers have knocked it out the park when they include an invulnerability mode in the options menu "in case you want to see the story" lol

Are you being serious or are you trying to suggest that accessibility is a bad thing in video games?

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Play posted:

I paid less attention to the gigantic big titty goth lady than chris redfield being an absolute unit all the sudden

Hey man, whatever you're into. No judgement here.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

JollyBoyJohn posted:

lol

Play posted:

Are you being serious or are you trying to suggest that accessibility is a bad thing in video games?

lol

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

PoE wa designed from the ground up to have orbs that can either be used to craft high level items or be traded as currency

It's the only ARPG trading system that actually works, and actually let's you trade with other players without grinding for some kind of de facto currency item, and it's a big part of the reason it is the greatest ARPG that ever was or probably ever will be

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

MrQueasy posted:

Hades is similar in feel to Binding of Isaac, but I'm not embarrassed to play it with my mom watching.

this is so loving absurd i have to instantly slam reply an angry rant in response.

Hades is nothing like Binding of Issac, Issac has variable builds, it has a thousand different items which interact in unique ways, it's got a level design which although random managed to feel designed, its got multiple characters with different stats which influence how you have to play the game, its got cards, trinkets, active items, passive items, you can play a run in issac and be super overpowered by the 3rd level or you can be super hosed with items and end up having to rely on skill.

Hades has 5 weapons and you could beat it by closing your eyes and dashing through everything with its inbuilt god mode enabled.

I'll give you the aesthetic of Issac are cringier than Hades but as a game, it SHITS all over Hades, utterly shits on it, Issac is a loving fantastic game with an enormous amount of depth and longevity. Hades is loving trash in comparison

feelix
Nov 27, 2016
THE ONLY EXERCISE I AM UNFAMILIAR WITH IS EXERCISING MY ABILITY TO MAKE A POST PEOPLE WANT TO READ

Caesar Saladin posted:

I know it was just a side comment about Hades but for real, Kojima designed Metal Gear Solid level layouts with lego in his office, he's obviously a serious game designer and the whole movie director thing is super silly.

Maybe he should have learned how to use a computer for these things, it just makes him seen like more of an out of touch weirdo that passes down vague instructions and then other people make a good game

Doesn't know how to do computer aided design
Doesn't speak the language of the culture he's obsessed with
Took until MGS3.5 to say "hey maybe you should be able to swing the camera around in my 3d game"
Took until MGS4 to say "hey let's use the agreed upon control scheme for when you're playing as a man that shoots"
I don't think he understands anything about video games

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

the "god mode" in Hades doesn't make you invulnerable it just gives you like 25% more armor or something

but there wouldnt be anything wrong with it even if it did make you invulnerable

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

Play posted:

are you trying to suggest that accessibility is a bad thing in video games?

If its something other people want then that's fine but for me personally it's not something I really need. If a games too hard for me I'll put it down and play something else.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Earwicker posted:

the "god mode" in Hades doesn't make you invulnerable it just gives you like 25% more armor or something

Great, the phenomena of Alternative Facts has reached video game minutia.

Well, what's the truth? Does Hades have an in-built invulnerability mode or not???

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

hawowanlawow posted:

PoE wa designed from the ground up to have orbs that can either be used to craft high level items or be traded as currency

It's the only ARPG trading system that actually works, and actually let's you trade with other players without grinding for some kind of de facto currency item, and it's a big part of the reason it is the greatest ARPG that ever was or probably ever will be

Anything that promotes interaction with ARPG players is actually really bad.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Meme Poker Party posted:

Great, the phenomena of Alternative Facts has reached video game minutia.

Well, what's the truth? Does Hades have an in-built invulnerability mode or not???

ok i looked it up

https://www.polygon.com/hades-guide/21456205/god-mode-difficulty-easy-damage-reduction

it starts off at 20% damage reduction and adds 2% every time you die, maxing out at 80%

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

just play a real permadeath game like noita or ftl

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Earwicker posted:

ok i looked it up

https://www.polygon.com/hades-guide/21456205/god-mode-difficulty-easy-damage-reduction

it starts off at 20% damage reduction and adds 2% every time you die, maxing out at 80%

JollyBoyJohn you have reported a falsehood.

How do you explain yourself?

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Earwicker posted:

ok i looked it up

Kind of weird that they'd add a mode that can make the game virtually unlosable and not just go all the way.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

The Moon Monster posted:

Anything that promotes interaction with ARPG players is actually really bad.

there is no interaction, you literally copy a message saying "I will buy x for y" and they invite you to their hideout and you make the trade. You never have to type an actual word, the most I've ever seen anyone say is t4t

or, you can use the currency you find to craft your own items and play it solo, like many people do. there's a solo self found leaderboard every league and some of the best and most powerful players play hardcore SSF

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

hawowanlawow posted:

there is no interaction

hawowanlawow posted:

you literally copy a message saying "I will buy x for y" and they invite you to their hideout and you make the trade.

???

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

The Moon Monster posted:

Kind of weird that they'd add a mode that can make the game virtually unlosable and not just go all the way.

Actually I like it. At the base, 20% sounds like easy mode but not comically easy. Without having played the game, I'd imagine that 50% damage reduction is around when even a very casual player would find the game Pretty Dang Easy. That means a casual died 15 times to get there. Hell they probably quit by that point lol. Works for me.

Also I really don't see the point in a full "you really cannot lose" setting. At that point there is no game. You may as well just watch a playthrough on youtube. Unless it's very heavy on the narrative choice, a game that you cannot lose is just a movie.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

Meme Poker Party posted:

JollyBoyJohn you have reported a falsehood.

How do you explain yourself?

i mean in all seriousness i noticed an option in the menu called "god mode" and assumed the rest. I am sorry I misled you

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

that's some powerful anxiety

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

JollyBoyJohn posted:

i support cheat codes and think they should return to more games.

MrQueasy
Nov 15, 2005

Probiot-ICK

JollyBoyJohn posted:

Hades is nothing like Binding of Issac, Issac has variable builds, it has a thousand different items which interact in unique ways, it's got a level design which although random managed to feel designed, its got multiple characters with different stats which influence how you have to play the game, its got cards, trinkets, active items, passive items, you can play a run in issac and be super overpowered by the 3rd level or you can be super hosed with items and end up having to rely on skill.

:shrug:

Maybe I'm just bad at video games, but each of the alternate weapon versions combined with the Daedalus mods change my play-style and boon selections. Hell, there are some boon combos that just break the game (The Lightning Rod Artemis+Zeus duo boon is basically an auto-win button).

lurker2006
Jul 30, 2019

feelix posted:

Maybe he should have learned how to use a computer for these things, it just makes him seen like more of an out of touch weirdo that passes down vague instructions and then other people make a good game

Doesn't know how to do computer aided design
Doesn't speak the language of the culture he's obsessed with
Took until MGS3.5 to say "hey maybe you should be able to swing the camera around in my 3d game"
Took until MGS4 to say "hey let's use the agreed upon control scheme for when you're playing as a man that shoots"
I don't think he understands anything about video games
The overhead camera was long in the tooth by mgs3 but it was a very good decision to stick with that in mgs1, and not follow the early full 3d trend that aged terribly. Really though you're being a bit unfair here, the splintercell camera wasn't a standard in the early 6th gen and the ots perspective wasn't until 2007.

lurker2006 fucked around with this message at 18:52 on Jan 27, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Meme Poker Party posted:

Actually I like it. At the base, 20% sounds like easy mode but not comically easy. Without having played the game, I'd imagine that 50% damage reduction is around when even a very casual player would find the game Pretty Dang Easy. That means a casual died 15 times to get there. Hell they probably quit by that point lol.

imo the gameplay in Hades is not radically different from Bastion and Transistor, though more refined, but it has a funnier story and much better voice acting than those other two games and in general has a story and aesthetic that is going to attract an audience that is there for the characters and story as much if not more than the gameplay, so i think a mode like that is a cool idea

also in many games using cheat codes to gently caress around with and explore the game can be as much fun if not moreso than playing the game normally

Meme Poker Party posted:

Also I really don't see the point in a full "you really cannot lose" setting. At that point there is no game. You may as well just watch a playthrough on youtube. Unless it's very heavy on the narrative choice, a game that you cannot lose is just a movie.

it would be boring in a game like Hades but its a lot of fun in strategy and in open world sandbox type games. like playing GTA5 with god mode on is fun just to gently caress around and nothing like watching a movie - its closer to making a movie. winning or losing is entirely besides the point

Earwicker fucked around with this message at 18:52 on Jan 27, 2021