Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

OwlFancier posted:

The gently caress do you use excel for if not to do maths automatically?

ukmt.xlsx

and track and trace databases by all accounts.....

page snipe!

The next fraction after 355/113 that approximates pi with similar precision is 52163/16604. Averaging the two gives you 3.14159265386526 -- precise to the 9th decimal. The equivalent fraction is (gasp!) 11788839/3752504.

Jaeluni Asjil fucked around with this message at 18:33 on Jan 27, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
I've gotten my last promotion pretty much off the back of being able to make Pivot tables/charts in a couple of.minutes and colour them nicely. Even in science-focused companies with data visualization departments, the majority of people understandably don't have a clue

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

OwlFancier posted:

... why? It's 3.141, 3.1 would be more accurate..?

It divides up nicely. A full circle is taken to be 6400 miliradians, then 3200 for South, 1600 E, 800 NE etc. The inaccuracy is OK given the level of precision you can get out of a prismatic compass while being shot at.

Russia simply uses a pencil 6000 and Sweden 6300 just to be different.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

OwlFancier posted:

The gently caress do you use excel for if not to do maths automatically?

In effect, these people use it as a stand-alone Microsoft Word table program.

I think it's just because the formulas aren't visible unless you click on a cell, so many people don't actually know they exist.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Comrade Fakename posted:

We're now losing significantly more, every day, than the single worst day for deaths during the Blitz.
The more people die the more a certain kind of person is going to swell with pride at this comparison

Wachter
Mar 23, 2007

You and whose knees?

In my experience as a helldesk guy, .xlsx docs are anything the users wants them to be. Usually databases

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Gort posted:

The skill I see adults needing and not possessing most these days is basic spreadsheets. Nothing fancy, just being able to do adding, subtraction, multiplication, sums and averages in a spreadsheet. Maybe a lookup table if you wanna show off.

Watching people doing sums on a calculator and putting the answers into Excel was painful.

On a Teams call recently I watched the statistician for my study operate the windows calculator by using the mouse to click the number buttons onscreen.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

TACD posted:

The more people die the more a certain kind of person is going to swell with pride at this comparison

How long before we hear "We didn't complain about the government during the pandemic, we just put our heads down and got on with things" when someone criticises the tories during the next epic national disaster

knox_harrington posted:

On a Teams call recently I watched the statistician for my study operate the windows calculator by using the mouse to click the number buttons onscreen.

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaAAAAAAAAAA

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Wachter posted:

.xlsx docs are anything the users wants them to be.

*looks at his 2011 cover letter generator*

e: no wait, i think this is my favourite thing that shouldn't be an xlsx but is

Microplastics fucked around with this message at 18:50 on Jan 27, 2021

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Thirty years ago i could do all the math to get a circuit board flowing nicely, was able to do some of the simpler hexadecimal calculations in my head.. now i have to get the calculator out to add up my shopping. :ughh:

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

knox_harrington posted:

Lmao game over man, game over

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

TACD posted:

Nazis?

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

KartooshFace, you are not responding efficiently!

My wife uses Excel for crochet patterns. Makes all the cells small squares, then colours them in. Seems to work.

(she also uses Excel for its intended purpose at work)

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

Bobstar posted:

My wife uses Excel for crochet patterns. Makes all the cells small squares, then colours them in. Seems to work.

(she also uses Excel for its intended purpose at work)

At work (about 15 years ago), my department did loads of analysis and people getting our reports wanted more geographical information in terms of a pretty pic of an infrastructure map with coloured blobs on relating to different things. My team spent ages setting it up on excel - background of a map of our region, all the cells fixed sizes, bazillions of conditional formatting and lookup tables. Other regions were impressed and so I organised a workshop at HQ and analysts from around the country came to see how we did it and to practise doing it for themselves. Towards the end of the day, some senior HQ bodies walked in and said "we had no idea you were doing this, we're working on a project with a bunch of overpaid consultants to do a GIS system".

Well noone had told us - the (assets not people) performance analysts from around the whole of the UK, nor consulted us (the people the regions were all looking to to produce this). Fkin pillocks.

As so often happens, with the right resources, we could have produced it inhouse without the company paying 'consultants' to do it but so many companies totally neglect the inhouse talent. And don't get me started on when I worked in the NHS and it was divying up into trusts and I had a visit from a consultant one day from one of the new trusts whose property portfolio I had been managing, consultant quizzed me for 3 hours (I had no idea why she was visiting before she arrived), wrote up what I had said into a fancy report and charged the trust who'd commissioned it.... £50000.... (this was 25 years ago!).
I said to them, for the cost of one day of my pay and a 60p floppy disk (because they were still floppies then), you could have had that and saved over £49k.
Oh - they said - but noone believes inhouse staff, only consultants. (Even inhouse staff who got distinctions in their postgrad estate management diplomas unlike the Oxbridge-educated smooth haired, shoulder padded blondes with razor sharp perfect manicures from Debenham Tewson Chinnocks etc doing the same course and being charged out at £500 per day and who didn't get distinctions.)

Jaeluni Asjil fucked around with this message at 19:21 on Jan 27, 2021

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

knox_harrington posted:

I do that.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Calculators, phones, and numpads need to agree on a standard layout.

Random Integer
Oct 7, 2010

I hate excel because for so many people it's the only thing they know how to use and they are so pathologically afraid of learning a new system they try to hamfistedly shove everything into excel.

Just beating my head bloody against the brick wall of people trying to make a spreadsheet be something other than a spreadsheet instead of using the actual tools designed to do the thing they want to do.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

feedmegin posted:

I used it a few years ago for both rangefinding and figuring out where to put the legs on my spider robot. Luv 2 inverse kinematics :awesomelon:

I did get pushed down to the 'Latin for idiots' class at school because I was dossing around too much as a 13 year old (though not quite badly enough to get dumped into the 'classical studies no language learning we promise' class), which was annoying because I came top of the 'idiots' class in our internal exams once I actually put some effort in but they still wouldn't let me do it for GCSE.

I have a similar story where I was dossing around in French a fair bit and had to take a remedial exam after summer to be able to continue with it. But then my parents paid for a private tutor (yes privilege and all that) who was actually French and had a degree in linguistics and a decent amount of teaching experience and in those 3 months I've learned more than I did in 6 hours a week for 4 years.

Then when I took the exam which was in front of a panel of three teachers, two of whom never taught me before, I did so well they actually asked me if French was something I'd like to pursue at uni. It was bit of a farce tbf. Maybe also a bit of an indictment of our French classes but obviously the format where you can directly get help and explanation and have chats about films/books/politics or whatever you want with a native speaker is not really comparable to standard classroom instruction.

Private Speech fucked around with this message at 19:43 on Jan 27, 2021

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear

Guavanaut posted:

that could be your legacy

imagine how that would feel

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Guavanaut posted:

Or everything needs to let me set them to the numpad layout.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
*points at bird* Numpad!

Mebh
May 10, 2010

I do my entire job as a games systems designer in excel.

Pretty much build the entire game economy, all levelling, stats, equipment, xp curves, shops, items, enemies, balancing etc. out of excel.

The entire 'gameplay' gets simplified to a weighted random button that you just click to run a single cycle that then spits you out the other side with a bit more xp or currency to spend in a shop. The weighting takes into account levels, difficulty etc and I usually take account for different player types, payers, non payers etc as well by having different initial settings.

If you can make the excel fun for an artist or something to collect a load of fake pokemon with different coloured borders and level up numbers next to them and you find them playing it at lunch , You've got a good enough metagame.

Sad Panda
Sep 22, 2004

I'm a Sad Panda.

Failed Imagineer posted:

I've gotten my last promotion pretty much off the back of being able to make Pivot tables/charts in a couple of.minutes and colour them nicely. Even in science-focused companies with data visualization departments, the majority of people understandably don't have a clue

I just discovered pivot tables, pivot charts and slicers. My mind was blown at how easy it made visualising data.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
Our helldesk guys are so paranoid about us using anything that may allow remote code injection we end up using excel for a lot of small tools.
Leading to what would be reasonably quick javascript/python stufff taking minutes as poo poo loads and processes on excel.
And they won't make our tools as that would mean they would have to maintain them and so who's paying for that?
Some of our excel tools are 10 years old.

sinky
Feb 22, 2011

Slippery Tilde

Guavanaut posted:

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

happyhippy posted:

Some of our excel tools are 10 years old.

That would qualify as a cutting edge process in my company and would be largely distrusted and all of the SOPs would still refer to the old paper way of doing things.

I think one of my report generating platforms is about 20 years old, and the clinical trial documentation system is being retired this year but apparently predates Win3.1.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
https://jsfiddle.net/BurpmanJunior/w1mvkjjj/

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I feel like I live in the opposite land because where I work keeps constantly making new tools, I think we've gone through about four or five different types of software to do the same thing in as many years.

And yet they can't spend five minutes to fix formatting errors in reports that I have to fill in every week.

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe

Last week I tried to register an account with Southern Water, and they have date of birth as a mandatory field. The field does not allow you to type the date in manually, but rather select it from a pop-up calendar. A pop-up calendar that only has a button to navigate backwards one month at a time.

400 clicks later, I hit "next" and they rejected my proposed password and redirected me back to the form, with the date of birth field unpopulated.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

This is good but the button doesn't randomly switch places with the reset button

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

Quantum mechanics absolutely play a role in cellular respiration and it is god drat fascinating

(I've been reading a book called the vital question)

Might do a little post on it later

One quantum/biology thing I find faintly amusing is Fluorescence Resonance Energy Transfer, and how it's mega important in all sorts of biochemical tests. But every time I see it discussed it's "this works because of FRET, don't loving ask me how". It's like a big concrete wall where biology becomes chemistry and therefore not our problem.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Strom Cuzewon posted:

One quantum/biology thing I find faintly amusing is Fluorescence Resonance Energy Transfer, and how it's mega important in all sorts of biochemical tests. But every time I see it discussed it's "this works because of FRET, don't loving ask me how". It's like a big concrete wall where biology becomes chemistry and therefore not our problem.

"Don't fret about it" was right there.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

endlessmonotony posted:

"Don't fret about it" was right there.

Somehow I have never noticed this. Dear god.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
Excel is good for writing crosswords in

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

I use excel to do sweepstakes when there's some kind of sports thing on

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

:japan:
Rangers died, shoujo Hitler cried ;_;
If you can use pivot tables then you can practice power query in Excel. DAX is actually not too bad to use for calculations. And it’s got time series analysis down pat. From there you download PowerBI for free and do even fancier dashboards and poo poo.

Sad Panda
Sep 22, 2004

I'm a Sad Panda.

Total Meatlove posted:

If you can use pivot tables then you can practice power query in Excel. DAX is actually not too bad to use for calculations. And it’s got time series analysis down pat. From there you download PowerBI for free and do even fancier dashboards and poo poo.

What's the main advantage of PowerBi over Excel for dashboards? I'm teaching my year 11s how to make a dashboard (hence why I learnt how to use pivot tables + sliders) and it seems to do it so nicely. I'd been thinking of using PowerBi as I'd heard of it, but given everyone is at home and some are on Macs it's a non starter.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
PowerBi sounds like a Tom of Finland artbook but with many different sexes and genders in it and if I find out it's some analytics utility I'm going to be disappointed.

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

:japan:
Rangers died, shoujo Hitler cried ;_;

Sad Panda posted:

What's the main advantage of PowerBi over Excel for dashboards? I'm teaching my year 11s how to make a dashboard (hence why I learnt how to use pivot tables + sliders) and it seems to do it so nicely. I'd been thinking of using PowerBi as I'd heard of it, but given everyone is at home and some are on Macs it's a non starter.

The variety of visualisations, publishing to PowerBI as a service in the cloud for access and sharing etc, and the ability to integrate R and Python. Outside of that, it does the same modelling of tables and query editing that Excel does but makes it a lot more user friendly. Like a 1/10 to a 7/10 experience.

E: in your pivot tables, have you been building in the Excel data model and creating relationships between the tables?

Total Meatlove fucked around with this message at 21:47 on Jan 27, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

Sad Panda posted:

The UI is designed to show tables and graphs so its easier to build the final dashboard together rather than spending ages lining everything up from several different graphs and filters and disabling the scroll bars. It also allows better connections to databases so it's better if you've got large tables that you want to bring bits of it through.

If you're teaching people how to present data though then there's not a massive benefit to it.