Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Missionary Positron
Jul 6, 2004
And now for something completely different
I knew the GPU market was insane but goddamn: I paid 649€ for an ASUS 3070 Dual OC in November which was already borderline ridiculous. Now the same card costs 869€.

What the gently caress :psyduck:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012
The Asus TUF 3070 is back in stock here for 1020 USD (converted from euro). And that's the loving cheapest 3070 available.

I'm actually considering it. :negative:

Raygereio fucked around with this message at 09:56 on Jan 27, 2021

runaway dog
Dec 11, 2005

I rarely go into the field, motherfucker.
Jesus this 3070 has hideous coil whine while idling, I don't know if I can live with this poo poo.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Always be gaming, the solution is clear.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

4000 Dollar Suit posted:

Jesus this 3070 has hideous coil whine while idling, I don't know if I can live with this poo poo.

I thought the 3080 had terrible coil whine until I swapped to a new Corsair HX1000i PSU. After that all the coil whines/buzzing etc stopped. I have no idea if it was actually the PSU instead of the GPU. Or was it the GPU because of my 11+ year old PSU not being very good anymore... dunno :shrug: If you have another psu or PC maybe try swapping and see if the noise continues.

runaway dog
Dec 11, 2005

Ihmemies posted:

I thought the 3080 had terrible coil whine until I swapped to a new Corsair HX1000i PSU. After that all the coil whines/buzzing etc stopped. I have no idea if it was actually the PSU instead of the GPU. Or was it the GPU because of my 11+ year old PSU not being very good anymore... dunno :shrug: If you have another psu or PC maybe try swapping and see if the noise continues.

nah I don't, I tried the rolled up paper thing to isolate where it's coming from but it didn't assure me any more than just using my ear, I'm relatively sure it's coming from the video card, it's an EVGA 850 g2 so not exactly ancient but not really that new either.

Rollie Fingers
Jul 28, 2002

When I first installed my 3090 FE it had no coil whine.

I then replaced my CPU with a 5900X and took the GPU out of its slot to make the installation a little easier. Second time around, the card had awful, unbearable coil whine.
I've reseated the thing four times and each time the whine has been slightly different in intensity.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

change my name posted:

I'm 30 and spilled an entire can of beer on my desk just a week ago, it's really not that hard

I used to use my pc to rest my drinks on, in an antec p180. Years of drinking and no accidents. That was a while back now, but even though my luck has been good, I try to stay away from cases with open top vents. That luck is sure to run dry just as I get a new case with top vents and crack open a bottle of port or something

HalloKitty fucked around with this message at 13:57 on Jan 27, 2021

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

I had bad coil whine on my 1080Ti that I was able to reduce somewhat by using two independent PSU cables instead of a Y cable. The best solution is to get a case with sound deadening panels and put it under your desk because I never heard that poo poo until I got a Meshify C.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Any new component you put into your case has a chance to activate a certain and totally unforeseeable resonance with any of the other components into something that creates annoying sounds you didn't even know your system was capable of. That's the magic of PC gaming.

apropos man
Sep 5, 2016

You get a hundred and forty one thousand years and you're out in eight!

exquisite tea posted:

Any new component you put into your case has a chance to activate a certain and totally unforeseeable resonance with any of the other components into something that creates annoying sounds you didn't even know your system was capable of. That's the magic of PC gaming.

I remember adjusting the speed of my Corsair ML120's a couple of months ago. There was a barely perceptible hum that happened about once every 15 seconds. Shaving just 100 RPM off them got rid of it. I never found out which one(s) was the causation of the resonation.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
Coil whine's more or less why I'm holding off a bit, just in case. In EU, warranty is via the seller instead of the manufacturer, and I don't feel like going back and forth over coil whine with some rep who also sells toilet paper and videogames.

TacticalHoodie
May 7, 2007

https://www.tomshardware.com/amp/news/the-fastest-rtx-3080-mining-rig-is-a-bmw-i8

This kind of flexing is the reason why I want to rush after Bitcoin miners like a lowland gorilla. The whole thing is a Ponzi scheme anyways so I don’t understand why they have to keep pointing out to the media that they have all these cards for their rigs. Do they think someone with a 3000 rtx is going to jump on mining because of some douche canoe with a lambo trunk mining rig?

TerminalSaint
Apr 21, 2007

Where must we go...

we who wander this Wasteland in search of our better selves?

Biowarfare posted:

when did newegg become such poo poo? the marketplace is worse than aliexpress.

They got acquired in 2016, which may be a factor, but I feel like things had been downhill even prior to that.

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

"It's J is for...you know what? Fuck it, jizz it is"
:stare:

Getting $400 for my 1080Ti I got at release after using it for nearly 4 years was a pleasant surprise.

Hasturtium
May 19, 2020

And that year, for his birthday, he got six pink ping pong balls in a little pink backpack.
I now feel like I won a town lottery managing to get a 3070 Eagle for MSRP + tax back in November. This just keeps getting worse.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Hasturtium posted:

I now feel like I won a town lottery managing to get a 3070 Eagle for MSRP + tax back in November. This just keeps getting worse.
Yeah getting my Aorus 3070 in Nov for $600 is a steal now

TacticalHoodie
May 7, 2007

TerminalSaint posted:

They got acquired in 2016, which may be a factor, but I feel like things had been downhill even prior to that.

My buddy recently had to RMA some ram and his kid ripped the original packaging to shreds. Their policy is 50% refund but they sent him new ram anyways.

The one thing i like about newegg is that you can filter out the marketplace people in their search which is leagues better than Amazon. The amount of times I have search amazon to find something from a marketplace seller with inflated prices was enough to drive me to drink. Now I just search for anything with Prime Shipping.

Bloopsy
Jun 1, 2006

you have been visited by the Tasty Garlic Bread. you will be blessed by having good Garlic Bread in your life time, but only if you comment "ty garlic bread" in the thread below
New Egg marketplace sellers have no qualms with advertising AMD coolers as new when every review states they received an obviously used product.

Best buy doesn't have the biggest selection of components but it's now the first place I look when I'm too lazy to drive the 30 mins to Microcenter.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
Newegg has been poo poo for like a decade. People just didn't want to acknowledge it for nostalgia reasons, and also because it was convenient - everyone already had a newegg account, you could get everything you wanted for a build at semi-reasonable prices rather than going to 2-3 retailers, etc.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

Whiskey A Go Go! posted:

This kind of flexing is the reason why I want to rush after Bitcoin miners like a lowland gorilla. The whole thing is a Ponzi scheme anyways so I don’t understand why they have to keep pointing out to the media that they have all these cards for their rigs. Do they think someone with a 3000 rtx is going to jump on mining because of some douche canoe with a lambo trunk mining rig?

Less "zomg look at that BMW mining rig--I GOTTA GET IN ON THAT" and more "...huh, if some fucknut can make silly money like that, maybe it's worth seeing what my card can do?" And with a 3080 getting $5-6/day right now, there's gonna be a lot of interest in that--if that holds that'd pay off a 3080 FE (at MSRP, anyhow) in 4ish months, which is pretty attractive to a lot of people. Hell, even if prices drop by 50%, in 4 months that'd mean you paid half of it off, and a lot of people sold existing cards to trade up to a 3080, so that still might be enough to end up with a "free" card.

Basically buttcoins will continue loving with the market until a 3080's daily profit drops to like $2 again.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

DrDork posted:

And with a 3080 getting $5-6/day right now

...and with electricity being free, and cryptocoins being fungible...

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

I feel like the Gamestop squeeze is going to push GPU prices higher too, it's mainly redditors and more online people cashing out

Bloopsy
Jun 1, 2006

you have been visited by the Tasty Garlic Bread. you will be blessed by having good Garlic Bread in your life time, but only if you comment "ty garlic bread" in the thread below

change my name posted:

I feel like the Gamestop squeeze is going to push GPU prices higher too, it's mainly redditors and more online people cashing out

If/when the proposed $1400 Covid checks are cut....yikes for who is still looking for a 3000 series then.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

change my name posted:

time to memestock, uhhhh ... is Matrox still around?

runaway dog
Dec 11, 2005

Running the PBR Donut test all night, which makes the coil whine the worst, didn't seem to do anything like I was reading it might, guess I'll go ahead and just prime overnight a new psu and if it still whines I guess I'm gonna rma, never had a card that sounded like this, I could deal with the coil whine if it was just while gaming but not when I'm just sitting there browsing the internet and my graphics card low key sounds like the main menu "music" from the original xbox.

runaway dog fucked around with this message at 20:41 on Jan 27, 2021

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

I had bad 3090 coil whine that went away when I paid (way too much) for some custom cablemod pcie cables instead of the sleeved extensions I was using before. Coil whine is a mysterious and fickle beast.

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy

TerminalSaint posted:

The fact that they were bundling lastgen Intel motherboards with Ryzen sales (worthless motherboard, unable to return either) is the icing on the poo poo cake

gradenko_2000 posted:

A bunch of my rackmounted servers report 16MB matrox "GPUs"

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Biowarfare posted:

Rage 128 lived on for a long time in servers as well, as did Mach64, like they were still being manufactured well into the 2000s. The 3D performance obviously was trash past a certain point but servers don't care, it just needs to run a windows desktop or server console.

Nowadays a lot of that has moved to dedicated IPMI like ASPEED (which iirc is Intel owned) though

mA
Jul 10, 2001
I am the ugly lover.

Raygereio posted:

The Asus TUF 3070 is back in stock here for 1020 USD (converted from euro). And that's the loving cheapest 3070 available.

I'm actually considering it. :negative:

If you're gonna spend that much, you might as well get a scalped 3080 on ebay.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

Paul MaudDib posted:

Rage 128 lived on for a long time in servers as well, as did Mach64, like they were still being manufactured well into the 2000s. The 3D performance obviously was trash past a certain point but servers don't care, it just needs to run a windows desktop or server console.

Nowadays a lot of that has moved to dedicated IPMI like ASPEED (which iirc is Intel owned) though

Those are ATI though, right? Plenty of brand new servers still come with Matrox gpus, the weakest ones imaginable.. at least in HPE land

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

change my name posted:

Isn't it ultimately gonna be a pretty small amount of people that end up making big sums ofmoney?

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Rinkles posted:

Isn't it ultimately gonna be a pretty small amount of people that end up making big sums ofmoney?

Anecdotally I know a few people who've made at least a grand, that's more than enough to turn around and plow into building a new PC if they so chose

Hasturtium
May 19, 2020

And that year, for his birthday, he got six pink ping pong balls in a little pink backpack.

gradenko_2000 posted:

After a fashion - their M-series cards are still descended from cut-down variants of the 2003-era Parhelia core with enough bugfixes to make them WDDM/DirectX 9-compliant. Most of their new products implement AMD or Nvidia GPUs with a somewhat different software stack and specialized display outputs. They've been a niche brand for a long time - don't expect that to change.

Biowarfare posted:

I'd guess that's some variation of the Matrox G200e, which made its way onto some server motherboards as a "look, it's got video" option. A motherboard I snagged on eBay for a song has one on it, but I have not had the gumption to test it out yet.

Hasturtium fucked around with this message at 20:22 on Jan 27, 2021

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

flakeloaf posted:

...and with electricity being free, and cryptocoins being fungible...

That's after electricity, and as long as you're signed up to one of the major exchanges like Coinbase, exchanging buttcoins for USD is trivial. So yes? In terms of profitability we're basically back to peak-2018 craze times. Which is bad for everyone but coin enthusiasts, really.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Rinkles posted:

Sure maybe it’s only 10 people but due to Chinese New Year there’s going to be only 10 more GPUs for sale.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

change my name posted:

Anecdotally I know a few people who've made at least a grand, that's more than enough to turn around and plow into building a new PC if they so chose

My sister-in-law had some GameStop stock that she got free years ago when signing up for some service or something and had made like, ten grand in the past couple days selling it.

She’s not going to buy GPUs though.

runaway dog
Dec 11, 2005

So if a card is for sure coil whining, could the issue still be the psu? just broke out a mostly used roll of paper towels and was able to for sure pinpoint the sound to the gpu.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

DrDork posted:

That's after electricity, and as long as you're signed up to one of the major exchanges like Coinbase, exchanging buttcoins for USD is trivial. So yes? In terms of profitability we're basically back to peak-2018 craze times. Which is bad for everyone but coin enthusiasts, really.

Hm.

Going flat-out with the fans turned up to "blender", my PC peaks at 60mh/s (so, 1 eth/year?). I could see wanting to do that at the current rates, but I won't kick myself for not having done so when it was $225. Besides, that heat has to go somewhere :ohdear:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

4000 Dollar Suit posted:

So if a card is for sure coil whining, could the issue still be the psu? just broke out a mostly used roll of paper towels and was able to for sure pinpoint the sound to the gpu.

basically anything involved in the delivery of the angry pixies can impact the coil whine, from the wall to the card.