Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

I subscribed to Lowtax's Patreon to support the forums, and I'd gladly subscribe to a new one to actually support the forums.

Also I think we should do that secret society thing where everyone has to submit a fully nude picture of themselves to keep them in line under threat of it being released.

i am a moron posted:

If you want ‘forum goer market share’ you’ll need to figure out how to position SA as the anti-Reddit that is also worth spending $10 on. The $10 should be understood to gate the community off from the worst kind of internet posters. You should purge your mod teams of the shittier ones, ban them from posting, and do away with the probation entirely. Sometimes mods act like salty cliquey dorks and aren’t really quality posters.

If someone posts something bannable then ban them. Quit probating people it’s weak
Nah, the $10 entry fee would just mean rich lovely posters can keep coming back again and again (Seraph84), while poor posters would get kicked out after a single infraction. Probing is a good middleground.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.
Jeffrey buys the site from Lowtax, transparency and goodness go up

Joe Biden buys the presidency from Donald Trump, transparency and goodness go up

concidence??????????? :thunk:

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Tei posted:

This. Or getting bought by Yahoo.

Yahoo Something Awnful.

Something AOL

Pontificating Ass
Aug 2, 2002

What Doth Life?
Jeffrey taking good care of the forums is giving me a warm feeling inside. I've never had this while posting here before.

Is... this... love?

kloa
Feb 14, 2007

Midjack posted:

Something AOL

Something Awful - brought to you by Taco Bell

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

Cowcaster posted:

i saw this thread because rope kid tweeted about it

Willias
Sep 3, 2008

Knormal posted:

I subscribed to Lowtax's Patreon to support the forums, and I'd gladly subscribe to a new one to actually support the forums.

Yeah
Yeah this
I paid FORMER OWNER 5 bux a month for a year and apparently he bought a stupid loving cookie with it

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

"I think if there’s one thing we can all agree on it’s that Penn State and Michigan both suck and are garbage and it’s hilarious Michigan fans are freaking out thinking this is their natty window when they can’t even beat a B12 team in the playoffs lmao"

Knormal posted:

Nah, the $10 entry fee would just mean rich lovely posters can keep coming back again and again (Seraph84), while poor posters would get kicked out after a single infraction. Probing is a good middleground.

Oh I’m phone posting so I missed some thoughts, but I’m not saying bans in place of probations. I think they’re used for petty bullshit in a lot of cases and they aren’t all that effective in changing behavior. Community shaming and bans are enough imo

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

"Hey, where did Steve go?"
Design by Kamoc
I'll gladly take an @somethingawful.com email. I think that idea rules as a pateron reward.

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

December 2020:
Raw Store Revenue: $5,549.14
Processing fees: -$463.28
Hosting cost -$1,138.4
Mangosteens -$1,172,584.32

somebody help me, my forums are dying

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Jelqsoft

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

"Hey, where did Steve go?"
Design by Kamoc
SA FINANCES:

BORN TO POST
LOWTAX IS A gently caress
KILL EM ALL 2001
I AM A SHITPOSTER
410,757,864,530 DEAD FORUMS

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

Throwing another (insignificant) hat behind the prospect of an SA Patreon. Even more so if we can get [USERNAME]@somethingawful.com email addresses

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Patreon stretch goal for an adjacent image hosting site.

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

Thanks for the update and the transparency. This forum has given me a ton and I’ll absolutely put money in to a Patreon to support it.

Still staggering how much Lowtax managed to gently caress all this up in every conceivable way.

dee eight
Dec 18, 2002

The Spirit
of Maynard

:catdrugs:

Darthemed posted:

thanks waffleshack!

Azathoth Prime
Feb 20, 2004

Free 2nd day shipping on all eldritch horrors.

As many other goons have said, I really appreciate the transparency.

I was throwing $5 a month at the old SA Patreon before we learned how much of a POS Lowtax was. I’d be happy to resume that donation now that the site is in the hands of a good person. And if SA needs more, I will give more.

MIDWIFE CRISIS
Nov 5, 2008

Ta gueule, laisse-moi finir.
Seconding redirecting the front page straight to the forum index, or putting a big geocities UNDER CONSTRUCTION gif that covers the whole page

This is all very cool, thanks Jeff!

pookel
Oct 27, 2011

Ultra Carp

Dignity Van Houten posted:

Thanks for the transparency. If I were you though please consider an OnlyFans over patreon. There's been a lot of horny going around.
This except I would like to pay money to NOT see any goon naked, ever.

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

pookel posted:

This except I would like to pay money to NOT see any goon naked, ever.

send me :10bux: or i'll pm you my nudes

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Will Skyl3lazer get a special user icon? Seems like a cool way to commemorate it.
It also has the added benefit that it sets a precedent, for if it becomes needful to get another executor in the future.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

This is all very good and proper, but if you aren't having the artisan cookies, at least send them to me.

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

There's a frontpage?

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Idea for patreon tiers:

$5 a month: you may make 1 post per month in QCS
$10/mo: you may make up to 3 posts per month in QCS
$15/mo: you may make up to 10 posts per month in QCS
$20/mo: QCS is hidden from you, you can neither read nor post it, nor can you see quoted QCS posts

Dignity Van Houten
Jul 28, 2006

abcdefghijk
ELLAMENNO-P

Request to hold a monthly contest, whoever raises the most money either for the forum or a charity can permaban one admin

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
yay forums

Chadzok
Apr 25, 2002

Patrons is a no-brainer, prioritise it, you'll get tons of old mostly lurkers like me that have jobs and money now throwing their childrens inheritance at the only not poo poo internet

13Pandora13
Nov 5, 2008

I've got tiiits that swingle dangle dingle

An OnlyFans is definitely more on brand for SA though let's be real.

Randy Travesty
Oct 27, 2014

PHANTOM QUEEN

Thank you for the transparency and the work, Jeff. You are a very good egg.

ETA: please take my money

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
I think it's really important, particularly if we are taking on astral, that we have a consistent revenue base. Jeffrey made a decision to buy the forums, for richer or for poorer, but astral is an employee and I think we have an obligation to ensure that that cash flow exists to ensure he can always be compensated. Open the patreon please.

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
We have a front page??
Voted 5, etc etc. Although fyad should never have been brought back.

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

While I have purchased the assets of Something Awful LLC, I have not purchased its debts. My hands are clean.

That £ ship was going to give meaning to my country in these bitter times. Now... now I have nothing. :negative:

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!
Let me hop on the :bandwagon: and thank Jeffrey for being up front with the site's finances. Lowtax was always implying that SA was teetering on the edge of bankruptcy, and that he was living on tuna sandwiches to keep it afloat. Donate $50 and get this handsome tote bag spaceship JPG!

Here's to another 20 years!

Ass-Haggis
May 27, 2011

asproigerosis confirmed

Thyrork posted:

That £ ship was going to give meaning to my country in these bitter times. Now... now I have nothing. :negative:

we'll always have paris~

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

Darthemed posted:

That's a really good idea, gently caress imgur. Maybe make it so you can only view the images if the referrer is *.somethingawful.com to prevent leeching and keeps bandwidth costs down.

I know platinum users can attach photos, but that system is clunky. Just open it up so everyone has good local image host to use.

frodnonnag
Aug 13, 2007
I would pay a thousand bucks to ban a subforum for a day.
Too bad i'm a broke gently caress who has no money.

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon
Great work so far Jeffrey! Might I suggest combining some subforums and sub-subforums? I feel that some of them have very little traffic, and merging some together might help get more people posting in them.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

I would be willing to kick in a $5 monthly for like, a fancy Avatar frame or whatever. Or without, but something to show I'm better than other people would be nice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HycoCam
Jul 14, 2016

You should have backed Transverse!
Will shell out :10bux: and buy lots of account tokens to give away to other losers I know.