Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hapsby
Oct 12, 2012

I just think this judgy rabbit makes a good av.

THEN DO SOMETHING ABOUT IT YOU WAX-SKINNED DUST-BREATHING CUMLICH WHOSE SKIN RESEMBLES A SCALE MAP OF THE OCEAN FLOOR

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

hapsby posted:

i did in fact read your post wrong. thank you for clarifying your case, i really do appreciate it, friend.

dems, libs, "socdems," etc all feel like different but equally poisonous branches of the same lovely, racist, rapist, classist tree. i'm assuming you agree?

I believe there are many people who identify as belonging to one or more of those groups that have genuinely progressive inclinations that should be nurtured and subsequently expanded. I don't think those inclinations should be condemned for merely being progressive as opposed to being revolutionary.

hapsby
Oct 12, 2012

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

I believe there are many people who identify as belonging to one or more of those groups that have genuinely progressive inclinations that should be nurtured and subsequently expanded. I don't think those inclinations should be condemned for merely being progressive as opposed to being revolutionary.

i think tainrunner is hilarious, but i agree with you. if we don't reach out to progressives, then it's going to be hard to expand our base or educate people.

idk before covid i did a lot of organizing in my (very rural area) but luring them in with Fun Gun Times and then dumping theory on them in the shooting range. my county went for Bernie in the primary.

again--Taintrunner owns because he says what i feel. but irl I'm trying to get rural rednecks to listen to me, and so i must be kinder, more understanding.

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
The taintrunner brand of politics is the enemy of actual leftism because the main requirement is getting so mad you refuse to do anything at all in case a socdem benefits

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

some plague rats posted:

The taintrunner brand of politics is the enemy of actual leftism because the main requirement is getting so mad you refuse to do anything at all in case a socdem benefits

Do you honestly believe that aggro posting on a niche web forum with a $10 pay wall is that much of a threat to the movement?

If one poster acting as the channel for our collective frustration in a dark cave somewhere out of the way is that harmful to a movement, maybe the movement has some other internal structural integrity issues that need sorting out?

Buddykins
Feb 12, 2011

stu pid FUCK asshole shit gizzard
I demand more posting combat

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Treating Taintrunner as either some messianic figure or as the Posting Devil is equally weird.

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

Buddykins posted:

I demand more posting combat

the ancient tradition of trial by post

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

some plague rats posted:

yes, the man who gets angry because the people in charge are twiddling their thumbs in their asses instead of playing hardball is the enemy

hapsby
Oct 12, 2012

some plague rats posted:

yeah but this isn't serious debate, it's shitposting with some truth and knowledge one can glean out of it.

e:fb

hapsby
Oct 12, 2012

docbeard posted:

Treating Taintrunner as either some messianic figure or as the Posting Devil is equally weird.

yeah this haha. he's a dude with a fun gimmick and more money than any of us could ever fathom lol. he's just a poster and should be treated accordingly

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
I don't think taintrunner himself is harmful to leftism, but the vocal minority of extremely online leftists who are trying to be Communist Maddox very much are, as a collective.

Buddykins
Feb 12, 2011

taintrunner give me money please

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

the best thing that could happen for the left was their online spaces becoming insanely aggressive and unpleasant, the entire movement needs to log the gently caress off, every joule of energy spent in building anything online is energy wasted

hapsby
Oct 12, 2012

Buddykins posted:

taintrunner give me money please

this

it's buddy's birthday i think, and also i'm cool. send us $2k, sweet runner of taints

hapsby
Oct 12, 2012

Epic High Five posted:

the best thing that could happen for the left was their online spaces becoming insanely aggressive and unpleasant, the entire movement needs to log the gently caress off, every joule of energy spent in building anything online is energy wasted

lotta people i know on tumblr (i'll take the L for this, but my friends and i had nowhere else to go after lj) went through exactly this. i watched someone go from "these snake emojis are misogynist!!!" to spamming warren with them herself in like a week, because I gave her info.

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Doctor Jeep posted:

yes, the man who gets angry because the people in charge are twiddling their thumbs in their asses instead of playing hardball is the enemy

The people in charge are twiddling their thumbs, I'll show them what for by twiddling my thumbs in an extremely boring aggressive way

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

some plague rats posted:

The people in charge are twiddling their thumbs, I'll show them what for by twiddling my thumbs in an extremely boring aggressive way

this is like some weird, star wars jedi poo poo

oh no, taintrunner is mad and says angry things, this is bad because and if you disagree then you're a republican thank you for coming to my ted talk

you don't know what people are doing when they're not online (though the argument might be made that if you really care, you could get super creepy with it, analyze posting times and dates, and figure out just how much time someone is spending on SA, but then I'd have concerns over YOUR priorities/stability anyway) so i think that's a pretty worthless thing to complain about

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Lib and let die posted:

Do you honestly believe that aggro posting on a niche web forum with a $10 pay wall is that much of a threat to the movement?

If one poster acting as the channel for our collective frustration in a dark cave somewhere out of the way is that harmful to a movement, maybe the movement has some other internal structural integrity issues that need sorting out?

TR specifically is not the issue, he's just a perfect example of it: a loudmouth do-nothing dickhead who spends his time desperately decrying every action the left takes because his material comfort depends on our failure. He has the time and resources to make a huge difference to a lot of people but he doesn't want to so he makes out that he would be onboard except for this, and this other thing, and so on, an endless list of grievances that end up so abstracted from basic every day solidarity that he ends up refusing to, for example, donate to anti-eviction funds because the someone at the DSA didn't condemn Joe Biden. Again, not saying TR is the root of all evil, he's just a bad poster. But I keep seeing his mentality again and again in every left action I'm involved in and it drives me up the loving wall

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

some plague rats posted:

TR specifically is not the issue, he's just a perfect example of it: a loudmouth do-nothing dickhead who spends his time desperately decrying every action the left takes because his material comfort depends on our failure. He has the time and resources to make a huge difference to a lot of people but he doesn't want to so he makes out that he would be onboard except for this, and this other thing, and so on, an endless list of grievances that end up so abstracted from basic every day solidarity that he ends up refusing to, for example, donate to anti-eviction funds because the someone at the DSA didn't condemn Joe Biden. Again, not saying TR is the root of all evil, he's just a bad poster. But I keep seeing his mentality again and again in every left action I'm involved in and it drives me up the loving wall

lol wait really

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Lib and let die posted:

this is like some weird, star wars jedi poo poo

oh no, taintrunner is mad and says angry things, this is bad because and if you disagree then you're a republican thank you for coming to my ted talk

you don't know what people are doing when they're not online (though the argument might be made that if you really care, you could get super creepy with it, analyze posting times and dates, and figure out just how much time someone is spending on SA, but then I'd have concerns over YOUR priorities/stability anyway) so i think that's a pretty worthless thing to complain about

You're being a really weird little creep in defense of taintrunner

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

lol wait really

That wasn't referring to him, that was another TR type- all aggro, all condemnation, no help. I doubt he donated a red cent but I don't want to start mythologizing his crimes

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

some plague rats posted:

That wasn't referring to him, that was another TR type- all aggro, all condemnation, no help. I doubt he donated a red cent but I don't want to start mythologizing his crimes

Might wanna clarify that in the post because hoo boy

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

some plague rats posted:

You're being a really weird little creep in defense of taintrunner

i mean, i like taintrunner's angry posting. i'd love to run around unapologetically telling the worst d&d scolds to go gently caress themselves, but for whatever reason i give more of a poo poo about my ability to :justpost: so it's fun and relieving to see someone that's willing to go to posting jail for 6 hours to say what we're all thinking, or wishing we could say. our representatives don't seem angry about the horrors the working class suffers every day, our senators don't seem angry about the horrors the working class suffers every day, our president doesn't seem angry about the horrors the working class suffers every day, and there are a lot of working class people angry about the lack of anger. seeing anyone express the feelings we/i feel feels good, and validating, and like you're not alone on an island and crazy because the people that are lauded for their ability to manage the world aren't angry and holy poo poo, am I crazy?

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
The simultaneous defenses of "he's just doing a gimmick" and "he's just saying what we're all thinking/wish we could say" sound familiar to me for some reason.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
Oh yeah, it's because that's every bully's defense

Buddykins
Feb 12, 2011

truly, this is, the shitpost thread

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Buddykins posted:

truly, this is, the shitpost thread

There's a huge difference between shitposts and lovely posts

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

Oh yeah, it's because that's every bully's defense

no one likes you

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Raskolnikov38 posted:

no one likes you

seriously

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
I have been unclear with my words. Let me explicitly say: dunking on libs owns and is good to do.
That's not what taintrunner does. No one would have a problem with Taintrunner if that's what he did. Taintrunner posts as loudly and angrily as possible to project strength and get positive attention. He's not doing it for any cause other than himself.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

I have been unclear with my words. Let me explicitly say: dunking on libs owns and is good to do.
That's not what taintrunner does. No one would have a problem with Taintrunner if that's what he did. Taintrunner posts as loudly and angrily as possible to project strength and get positive attention. He's not doing it for any cause other than himself.

Taintrunner is good and cool, you are not

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry
love to be a crow flying around a burning building squawking at firefighters scrambling to do work screaming at them "put out the fire put out the fire put out the fire" caw caw squawk caw

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Xaris posted:

love to be a crow flying around a burning building squawking at firefighters scrambling to do work screaming at them "put out the fire put out the fire put out the fire" caw caw squawk caw

Crows can't talk, idiot

lobotomy molo
May 7, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

I don't think taintrunner himself is harmful to leftism, but the vocal minority of extremely online leftists who are trying to be Communist Maddox very much are, as a collective.

when confronted by a dumb shithead like Vaush, should you:
a. be nice to them, since they’re “fellow leftists” and pushing them out would be harmful
b. ignore them and let them spew poo poo without ever being challenged or repudiated
c. tell them to gently caress off loudly and often for supporting a rapist

quit being a pussy and say some mean words. express your feelings. progress is impossible if avoiding struggle is your only goal.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Fly Molo posted:

a. be nice to them, since they’re “fellow leftists” and pushing them out would be harmful
b. ignore them and let them spew poo poo without ever being challenged or repudiated

quit being a pussy and say some mean words. express your feelings. progress is impossible if avoiding struggle is your only goal.
I have no idea who Vaush is.
Also the words "confronted by" are doing a lot of work there.

SpiderHyphenMan has issued a correction as of 23:53 on Jan 27, 2021

Buddykins
Feb 12, 2011

Iron Crowned posted:

Crows can't talk, idiot

Flavius Aetass
Mar 30, 2011

Iron Crowned posted:

Crows can't talk, idiot

noted animal expert iron crowned

lobotomy molo
May 7, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

I have no idea who Vaush is.
Also the words "confronted by" are doing a lot of work there.

are people on the left allowed to have standards for behavior? and say gently caress off to people who break those standards?

the full extent of your complaint seems to be “using mean words is bad and alienates people!” so what alternative do you suggest? if, say, someone nominally on the left gets outed as a sexpest, or someone else says real leftists should support drone striking weddings? nicely spend hours explaining how their argument lacks rational merit? ignore them and let them spew harassment and misinformation? or call them a piece of poo poo until they gently caress off?

if you’re not willing to tell wreckers and fuckheads to gently caress off, you’re automatically ceding the discussion space to them without a fight in the name of avoiding (useful, necessary) conflict.

lobotomy molo has issued a correction as of 00:03 on Jan 28, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Fly Molo posted:

Why is it whenever an objection based in real life to people like Taintrunner gets raised it immediately gets turned into "aaah but have you considered this [extremely online thing]?" I don't think he's bad because he says mean words online. I think he's bad because that's all he does, and he has the capacity to do a lot more but doesn't want to, and it's a bit rich (lol) for him to decry everyone who actually does things. Basically I'm a white woman on twitter who got dumped and he's my Bernie Sanders