Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mandibular Fiasco
Oct 14, 2012

Professor Shark posted:

Crossposting w Canadian Finance because it doesn't seem to get too much traffic and I can't find the CanPol thread:

Wouldn’t they have to have worked a minimum number of hours to be eligible?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

Mandibular Fiasco posted:

Wouldn’t they have to have worked a minimum number of hours to be eligible?

Pretty sure you also can't be in full time education.

But yeah I could see 12th graders accumulating enough hours from a summer job.

half cocaine
Jul 22, 2019

Why are you guys buying real estate when you can buy $GME?

large hands
Jan 24, 2006

half cocaine posted:

Why are you guys buying real estate when you can buy $GME?

you can't live in a GameStop

Femtosecond
Aug 2, 2003

leverage $GME gains into a down payment on real estate.

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret

Professor Shark posted:

Crossposting w Canadian Finance because it doesn't seem to get too much traffic and I can't find the CanPol thread:

No

https://www.canada.ca/en/employment-social-development/programs/ei/ei-list/courses-training.html

RBC
Nov 23, 2007

IM STILL SPENDING MONEY FROM 1888

Lead out in cuffs posted:

Pretty sure you also can't be in full time education.

yes

full time students can't get ei

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret

RBC posted:

yes

full time students can't get ei

You can, you just have to

1) Go to an accredited instituion from the list
2) Not be unemployed for 36 weeks prior
3) Pay into EI for 7-10 years

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Thanks for the info guys. I'm going to try to get in touch with Service Can tomorrow, however I think it's pretty conclusive based on the other thread plus the line I put out on Reddit that there is no way that high school students can attend school and still get paid.

Sassafras
Dec 24, 2004

by Athanatos
Just trying to repeat that CERB magic, eh?

Mandibular Fiasco
Oct 14, 2012

large hands posted:

Yes you can. You just have to evict the nerds running the store.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Sassafras posted:

Just trying to repeat that CERB magic, eh?

Your eyes would never stop rolling if I told you the details. Short version is that the kids are alright and not at fault in this.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Just sold my house in (south) Surrey for just over a million. It sold after the first day of showing for 30k over asking with zero contingencies on the offer. :suspense:

poo poo's wild.

Claes Oldenburger
Apr 23, 2010

Metal magician!
:black101:

McGavin posted:

Just sold my house in (south) Surrey for just over a million. It sold after the first day of showing for 30k over asking with zero contingencies on the offer. :suspense:

poo poo's wild.

Goongrats. I grew up in Ocean Park and that whole South Surrey area is fuckin' nuts.

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

Lmfao at these people making unconditional offers on real estate. Lmfao. Reminds me of that guy from reddit last year who made an unconditional offer on a Toronto house but didn't realize the condo market was in the dumps and he couldn't sell for the price he needed.

Femtosecond
Aug 2, 2003

Yeah seems like unconditional offers are back. There was an article in the local Burnaby paper about this trend.

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

Save up a downpayment to get on that meme stock ladder, and maybe you too can one day jump on the housing ladder.

RBC
Nov 23, 2007

IM STILL SPENDING MONEY FROM 1888
i dont understand the stupidity at work to put in an unconditional offer

Sassafras
Dec 24, 2004

by Athanatos

RBC posted:

The land's 90% of the value and trend is positive for prices, so if you change your mind just turn around and flip it, you might even make money on top of transaction costs!

Assuming you can complete, anyway.

Purgatory Glory
Feb 20, 2005

RBC posted:

You've been to 10 showings and offered asking or above and have been rejected because of stronger offers that didn't have subject to inspection.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

RBC posted:

You've been trying to buy SOMETHING all year and you constantly get out-bid. Now people are offering unconditional offers so to compete you have to do the same. And you really have to, because you need to buy now or be priced out forever.

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

Being priced out forever is not an unacceptable outcome if the alternative is making an unconditional offer.

half cocaine
Jul 22, 2019

How can I buy calls on vancouver real estate at $2000 per square foot? 🚀🚀🚀🚀🚀🚀🚀🚀🚀🚀🚀🚀🚀🚀🚀🚀🚀🚀🚀🚀🚀🚀

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

large hands posted:

I just filed the rezoning application, nerd.

Femtosecond
Aug 2, 2003

Unconditional offers make sense if you're just gonna tear the house down anyway. The amount of churn in SFH in Vancouver is a big part of the "new construction" numbers. People buying lovely post war homes, knocking them down then building garbage mcmansions. Especially common on the west side.

Often this new construction is literally reducing the amount of homes available, destroying some cheap house that had two or more units or perhaps was affordably split up amongst several young roommates and replacing it with a single big house for one family.

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice
I gotta stop reading this poo poo. But since my blood pressure is up I'll share the love I guess.

https://twitter.com/StephenPunwasi/status/1355680411666493441?s=20

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

A $1.2M townhouse sounds like a shithole, OP!

Alctel
Jan 16, 2004

I love snails

Cold on a Cob posted:

I gotta stop reading this poo poo. But since my blood pressure is up I'll share the love I guess.

https://twitter.com/StephenPunwasi/status/1355680411666493441?s=20

She paid 1.2 million for her parents cottage? That seems uh, a lot (last line)

I wonder if there was some tax fuckery going on or something

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

Alctel posted:

She paid 1.2 million for her parents cottage? That seems uh, a lot (last line)

I wonder if there was some tax fuckery going on or something

Then the absolute gently caress isn't there tax fuckery going on when hundreds of thousands+ of dollars are involved??

unknown
Nov 16, 2002
Ain't got no stinking title yet!

Probably a bit of tax issues (with secondary houses having to pay capital gains on market value) but more likely a case of parents needing cash for their new retirement residence living lifestyle and the kid not able to give up the Muskoka escape.

Defenistrator
Mar 27, 2007
Ask me about my burritos
My friend yolod his life savings on a stock and can now finally afford to buy a house in with a 20% downpayment. He spent 7 years building up the first 10% and 72 hours for the last....

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

Defenistrator posted:

My friend yolod his life savings on a stock and can now finally afford to buy a house in with a 20% downpayment. He spent 7 years building up the first 10% and 72 hours for the last....

Going to the moon is easier than you'd think.

Mandibular Fiasco
Oct 14, 2012

Defenistrator posted:

Lucky for him the opposite didn't happen.

Aramis
Sep 22, 2009

Defenistrator posted:

Survivor bias is a hell of a drug.

Mandibular Fiasco
Oct 14, 2012

qhat posted:

Being priced out forever is not an unacceptable outcome if the alternative is making an unconditional offer.

The alternative is to do the inspection prior to making the offer, so you're comfortable with what the inspection report says before you make the offer. Therefore, you wouldn't need the subject.

Mandibular Fiasco
Oct 14, 2012

Tsyni posted:

Going to the moon is easier than you'd think.

I just watched Apollo 11 on Netflix and you're wrong. Furthermore

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

Mandibular Fiasco posted:

The alternative is to do the inspection prior to making the offer, so you're comfortable with what the inspection report says before you make the offer. Therefore, you wouldn't need the subject.

Won't work if the house gets a bunch of unconditional offers on the day its shown.

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

Defenistrator posted:

Has he actually exited the stock yet? I feel like the mentality that causes people to go all-in on an individual stock is also ironically the same mentality that prevents them from ever closing the position.

Aramis
Sep 22, 2009

There seems to have been a huge campaign over the weekend to pressure the meme-driven buyers of GME into not selling, so you would be probably correct.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EngineerJoe
Aug 8, 2004
-=whore=-

qhat posted:

Has he actually exited the stock yet? I feel like the mentality that causes people to go all-in on an individual stock is also ironically the same mentality that prevents them from ever closing the position.

People are happier holding onto a stock and losing it all then exiting a stock and leaving money on the table. We suck!