Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which House?
Black Eagles
Blue Lions
Golden Deer
View Results

Doc Dee
Feb 15, 2012

THANKS FOR MAKING ME SPEND MONEY, T

McTimmy posted:

She's supposed to be blonde in the opening cutscene, you can even see the green tips there. So she dyed it blonde as Seiros which explains why Nemesis doesn't recognize the feature at all. It just looks green anyway because of the lighting.

Doesn't explain Byleth's hair, or Sothis's.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Doc Dee posted:

Doesn't explain Byleth's hair, or Sothis's.

Her hair is originally green, she just dyed it blonde as Seiros.

They just made a snafu since her roots should be green and not the tips, but maybe hairdressers just weren't very good a thousand years ago.

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

Yeah, apparently the design notes in Seiros's concept art explicitly say that her hair is dyed but the original green is showing at the ends. Which is a really cool detail! I had actually never noticed the green at the ends but looking at the 3H intro cinematic it's absolutely there.

Shinji117
Jul 14, 2013
It explains why Nemesis only worked out she was a Nabatean right at the end, why people willing to follow someone who “liberated” them from the Nabateans were ok with giving Rhea all her power and gives Wilhelm’s passed down story more weight if Seiros was more convincingly pretending not to be a Nabatean.

It also might give another interpretation towards the Elite Diary abyss book where they are confused by Seiros’ hatred. Previously it was “what the hell happened why does she hate us”, which lent itself towards the Elites not knowing about the details of the Red Canyon as it’s pretty obvious why an obvious-Nabatean would hate what happened there, but now it could be a darker “why does this human hate us so much for doing the Red Canyon”.

Shinji117 fucked around with this message at 02:59 on Jan 28, 2021

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

That is an incredible detail to just gently caress up in the big cinematic so that no one recognizes it. And when she dons her Seiros attire in CF, she doesn't dye her hair so it's lost there too. :psyduck:

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Presumably at that point, she has no reason to disguise herself from Rhea anymore since Edelgard had already pushed her reveal into the open.

Prurient Squid
Jul 21, 2008

Tiddy cat Buddha improving your day.
When I was a kid there was a nerdy kid who used to like to tell everyone that 'antidisestablishmentarianism' was the longest word in the English language. Do you know what? I think Edelgard is an honest to goodness antidisestablishmentarian and is motivated primarily by antidisestablishmentarianism.

e: OK I looked the word up and in my mind I introduced a doubled negative that wasn't actually there so I guess Dimitri is the antidisestablishmentarian and Edelgard is just a common or garden variety disestablishmentarian.

Prurient Squid fucked around with this message at 15:23 on Jan 28, 2021

Dr. Cool Aids
Jul 6, 2009
That dumb nerd wasnt even correct, floccinaucinihilipilification is longer

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
The word "smiles" has a mile between either end :)

Prurient Squid
Jul 21, 2008

An image flashed through my mind of Bernie standing up for Death Knight, holding onto Death Knight's shoulder saying "do you have a problem with my Senpai?"

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!

Shinji117 posted:

It explains why Nemesis only worked out she was a Nabatean right at the end, why people willing to follow someone who “liberated” them from the Nabateans were ok with giving Rhea all her power and gives Wilhelm’s passed down story more weight if Seiros was more convincingly pretending not to be a Nabatean.

It also might give another interpretation towards the Elite Diary abyss book where they are confused by Seiros’ hatred. Previously it was “what the hell happened why does she hate us”, which lent itself towards the Elites not knowing about the details of the Red Canyon as it’s pretty obvious why an obvious-Nabatean would hate what happened there, but now it could be a darker “why does this human hate us so much for doing the Red Canyon”.

This also clears up whether Rhea is her "real" name/identity or not since it makes it pretty clear that Seiros was a wholly invented persona. Back when it looked like Seiros was green haired it seemed more ambiguous which was her real identity and which was a cover.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

Prurient Squid posted:

An image flashed through my mind of Bernie standing up for Death Knight, holding onto Death Knight's shoulder saying "do you have a problem with my Senpai?"

Bernie standing up would just be looking at the death knight and asking him to stop, and then if he asked what was she going to do about it, she would answer cry. And itd be so awkward hed leave.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
I assumed she changed her appearance every so often anyway to hide the fact that it's always been the same woman ruling the Church.

Prurient Squid
Jul 21, 2008

Progress so far.

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!

Cythereal posted:

I assumed she changed her appearance every so often anyway to hide the fact that it's always been the same woman ruling the Church.

I thought something like that originally, but the way that people like Jerald and Seteth don't seem to find calling her Rhea odd despite it being hundreds of years since they last saw her/met her. Given that most people never personally meet bigwigs like the Pope, Fodlan doesn't have T.V. or photographs that could make her appearance public, and the few people who do regularly see her have a vested interest in not saying anything, it isn't that unreasonable that she could maintain the facade with minimal shits given. And besides who are you going to believe, our most holy chosen of Sothis the Pope, vetted by the most holy cardinals themselves? Or some some crazy person obviously possessed by the devil ranting that the pope is actually an immortal space lizard.

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008
So fun fact: There actually are no portraits/sculptures of Seiros. All the monthly murals keep her obscured and there's no statues on the grounds. (Only shoved in the corner of Abyss where no one save lunatics like I would look).

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

galagazombie posted:

I thought something like that originally, but the way that people like Jerald and Seteth don't seem to find calling her Rhea odd despite it being hundreds of years since they last saw her/met her.

I mean both of them have very valid reasons why they are not freaked out about it. Thanks to the crest Rhea gave Jerald he has lived for a really long time and Seteth is another dragon.

Hunt11 fucked around with this message at 02:25 on Jan 29, 2021

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

https://twitter.com/SpaceDrinks/status/1354892700810584067

I found this amusing.

Rimusutera
Oct 17, 2014
Catharine absolutely smokes weed, and Petra totally knows what it is she just doesn't know what the Fodlaners mean when they say it.

mastajake
Oct 3, 2005

My blade is unBENDING!

I like that Dimitri, Petra, and Alois all belong in that bottom row for different reasons.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

the ones that struck me as sus were Annette and Ashe, who both strike me as too goody-two shoes (but for different reasons). Annette in particular would be one of those who it just makes more anxious.

also Mercedes is a healer, she does not "sell drugs" she prescribes drugs like a cool California doctor

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!

Hunt11 posted:

I mean both of them have very valid reasons why they are not freaked out about it. Thanks to the crest Rhea gave Jerald he has lived for a really long time and Seteth is another dragon.

You misunderstand me, I don't mean they should be surprised at her being alive, I mean they are apparently calling her by the same name despite all the time passing.

Prurient Squid
Jul 21, 2008

I just woke up from a sleep and I can't remember the details but I was in a castle. And I realise that being in lockdown and playing hours of Fire Emblem means that mentally I live in a castle now.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
No way does Catherine smoke weed. She's a big narc.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

No way does Catherine smoke weed. She's a big narc.

No one who hates herself as much as Catherine does gets through the day without some form of assistance.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Cythereal posted:

No one who hates herself as much as Catherine does gets through the day without some form of assistance.

Alcohol. The classic.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

galagazombie posted:

You misunderstand me, I don't mean they should be surprised at her being alive, I mean they are apparently calling her by the same name despite all the time passing.

I mean Seth's been at the monastery for about a decade so he might have called her something different when he initially got there and adapted. And Jeralt only left when Byleth was an infant

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

Alcohol. The classic.

I can confirm it will make you hate yourself.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
Catherine does basically have "substance abuse" written right on her forehead.

do u believe in marigolds
Sep 13, 2007

Rand Brittain posted:

Catherine does basically have "substance abuse" written right on her forehead.

In one of her conversations with Alois she has a bar tab she can't pay.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

do u believe in marigolds posted:

In one of her conversations with Alois she has a bar tab she can't pay.

Jeralt also has a bar tab he can't pay.

Maybe the problem here is Alois.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Jeralt was the biggest alcoholic in the entire game. There's another explanation for his bar tab.

Prurient Squid
Jul 21, 2008

I just feel bleary this January and I've procrastinated so I'm still three weeks away from Taitlean Fields which I assume represents the end of the Crimson Flower route. I'd like to turn Bernie in to a Bow knight before then but I'm not too bothered about that.

Anyway, I can really imagine the Fodlan equivalent of Shakespeare writing a play called Edelgard along the lines of Macbeth. And it's full of contrivances like Edelgard making a pact with Satan and plotting to murder her father and take the throne and killing anyone who was a threat to her power etc...

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

Prurient Squid posted:

Anyway, I can really imagine the Fodlan equivalent of Shakespeare writing a play called Edelgard along the lines of Macbeth. And it's full of contrivances like Edelgard making a pact with Satan and plotting to murder her father and take the throne and killing anyone who was a threat to her power etc...

The Edge of Dawn is Edelgard singing a song about her trials and tribulations.

Of course this song is from the War Opera made by the Mittelfrank Opera Company after Crimson flower and Edelgard's part is being performed by Dorothea.

Well Manicured Man
Aug 21, 2010

Well Manicured Mort

Prurient Squid posted:

I just feel bleary this January and I've procrastinated so I'm still three weeks away from Taitlean Fields which I assume represents the end of the Crimson Flower route. I'd like to turn Bernie in to a Bow knight before then but I'm not too bothered about that.

Whether it's a tragedy or romance definitely depends on who wins the war. One of the key features of Shakespeare's romances (like The Tempest or The Winter's Tale) is that a hero who would normally be undone by his tragic flaw like Hamlet or Macbeth is given a chance to grow beyond that flaw and have a happy ending, which is basically Edelgard's character arc in CF.

It's also Dimitri's character arc in AM and Rhea's character arc in SS/VW. It could've been Claude's in VW but they make him too much of a good boy outside of of his route so you don't really get a sense that he has a tragic flaw that he can be undone by.

What I'm saying is you could write a Tempest AU fanfic and use any of those three characters as a stand-in for Prospero.

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

Natural 20 posted:

The Edge of Dawn is Edelgard singing a song about her trials and tribulations.

Of course this song is from the War Opera made by the Mittelfrank Opera Company after Crimson flower and Edelgard's part is being performed by Dorothea.

Now I want to hear Allegra Clark singing it.

Prurient Squid
Jul 21, 2008

Any play about the life of Edelgard has to star Francesca Annis :colbert:

Digital Osmosis
Nov 10, 2002

Smile, Citizen! Happiness is Mandatory.

I started this game a couple of days ago. I thought Gatekeeper was the best character in the game but I see now I was close but wrong. Hubert is the best character in the game. 90% of the time his supports are people thinking he's being sinister as gently caress when he's being a perfectly fine dude with resting murderer face and 10% of the time it's him being sinister as gently caress. I love it.

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

Digital Osmosis posted:

I started this game a couple of days ago. I thought Gatekeeper was the best character in the game but I see now I was close but wrong. Hubert is the best character in the game. 90% of the time his supports are people thinking he's being sinister as gently caress when he's being a perfectly fine dude with resting murderer face and 10% of the time it's him being sinister as gently caress. I love it.

Welcome to the Hubert fan club.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

What a fascinatingly unusual cock. Now, allow me to show you my collection...

Digital Osmosis posted:

single most correct thing ever posted in this loving thread, hubert is a bae