Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
aw I appreciate it but don't drive yourself crazy just to help me. maybe I should just stop being a cheap rear end and buy a Thinkpad T41. Supposedly it's the last ThinkPad that supported Win98. Hopefully it's not a slow piece of poo poo!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Chumbawumba4ever97 posted:

aw I appreciate it but don't drive yourself crazy just to help me. maybe I should just stop being a cheap rear end and buy a Thinkpad T41. Supposedly it's the last ThinkPad that supported Win98. Hopefully it's not a slow piece of poo poo!

i honestly believe you'll have an easier time getting this dosbox setup working well than any hardware purchase would.

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica

I think they might have changed something in dosbox-x to be less convenient and more accurate by default. I downloaded vanilla dosbox (from dosbox.com) and it definitely "just works".

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

i honestly believe you'll have an easier time getting this dosbox setup working well than any hardware purchase would.

Unless
Jul 24, 2005

I art

Perplx posted:

nginx and letsencrypt should "just work" for the most part
the smart way would be to use a wildcard cert so you only need one, you can get one with letsencrypt if your dns host supports dns-01 auth like cloudflare

the really smart way is to dockerize everything and use traefik to automagically do everything

fkin perfect, traefik looks exactly what I need. Gonna consolidate the light stuff into a single LXC so I can keep the cluster redundant, much appreciated

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

I mean you can easily find ISOs of Windows 3.1, 95, 98, and even ME on archive.org so I can't imagine mods here would get pissy if you posted the link. I know I'd greatly appreciate it, for one.

Does it work in Windows or does it have to be on a Raspberri Pi?

A lot of the stuff I want to run is really dumb, like old crappy card creators like Print Shop Deluxe, or AOL 3.0, and KidSoft/KidPix CD-ROMs.

yeah I know it's really goofy to be nostalgic for this stuff. I also really like showing my kids the progression of things. I whipped out a Blu-Ray of Little Shop of Horrors the other day and my 5 year old and 3 year old both called it a record :3:

I remember a few years ago my wife's friend came by so she asked me to entertain her 8 year old son so they could chat, so I showed him my NES since he loves Mario games and he couldn't get past the first screen in Super Mario Bros because he was so used to 3-d that 2-d literally made no sense to him. So I am starting my kids out with old games when we play together just so they are used to everything. Also the old graphics don't look outdated to them which is a nice benefit too. My 5 year old loves playing TMNT Fall of the Foot Clan on the GameBoy before bed time.

I've been letting my 5 and 3 year old play with the ThinkPad z60m and they are both already getting used to the touchpad and using physical keys which I really like instead of the thing where kids assume all screens are touch. I know it's super nerdy but I like showing them stuff this way :)

this is child abuse

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

Gentle Autist posted:

this is child abuse

dsyp

Pierre Chaton
Sep 1, 2006

i'm trying to format a drive that i believe was encrypted with dell encryption, formerly ddpe

in disk management it shows as 'disk 1 - unknown - not initialized. trying to initialize it gives the error 'the device is not ready'

ran diskpart clean all, it completes, but i still get the same thing.

any ideas?

e: it's a corsair drive, their SSD utility can't do anything with it. there's no psid marked on the drive.

Pierre Chaton fucked around with this message at 11:51 on Feb 5, 2021

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

the ears broke off this clip for my left channel. I have the spring still. what is the easiest way to fix this. can I get a baggie of new clips or should I just solder a banana connector or something on to replace the whole assembly.

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

is there a reputable place to get a replacement laptop battery? need to replace the battery in a 2017 xps13 and i dont want it to explode and kill me. dell doesn't sell them directly

Pierre Chaton
Sep 1, 2006

Jenny Agutter posted:

is there a reputable place to get a replacement laptop battery? need to replace the battery in a 2017 xps13 and i dont want it to explode and kill me. dell doesn't sell them directly

did you talk to tech support? it used to be that support could sell you anything they had available for warranty service calls either as spares or as an out of warranty, parts only service call, so that included stuff that sales couldn't do.

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

BLOBby Newmark posted:

did you talk to tech support? it used to be that support could sell you anything they had available for warranty service calls either as spares or as an out of warranty, parts only service call, so that included stuff that sales couldn't do.

huh didn't think of that, i'll give it a try

yippee cahier
Mar 28, 2005

Hed posted:

the ears broke off this clip for my left channel. I have the spring still. what is the easiest way to fix this. can I get a baggie of new clips or should I just solder a banana connector or something on to replace the whole assembly.

if you can solder you can probably rig something up until you receive parts in the mail. you can find replacement 4 socket panels for a couple bucks on aliexpress, 2mm banana plugs for your wire that would fit in those terminals, anything you want, really. i personally would get some kind of proper plug on there.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

A bit late but give "pcem" a go, it's a much lower-level emulation than dosbox and supports larger variety of audio cards along with voodoo graphics and 2d cards; though it does require a good cpu to run (it's also heavily multithreaded).

Also unlike dosbox it will emulate a particular CPU and motherboard model, meaning it isn't as reliable in cycle control and the audio is tied to the speed of the emulation (as with e.g. console emulation).

e: the main reason not to use it for everything instead of dosbox would be the lack of shared filesystem and requiring minutes of boot time, as it runs a standard bios complete with PC speaker beeps, but it really is a much better solution for accurately emulating old PC systems

Private Speech fucked around with this message at 17:12 on Feb 7, 2021

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

yippee cahier posted:

, 2mm banana plugs for your wire that would fit in those terminals,

oh poo poo I actually have some of those “skinny plugs” that I found the other day and was like wow wtf did I mis order from the electronics place. didn’t think about it again until you mentioned it here. thanks!!

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
i hate spring clip terminals so much. if you end up caring enough to fix, replace with something else. aaaaanything else. ugh.

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

My modem / router has been disconnecting multiple times a day, had a engineer out and she suggested a replacement unit (done) and a new RJ11 cable from the wall to the unit (done), and I'm still getting dropouts. A bit of googling and:

quote:

https://community.bt.com/t5/BT-Fibr...ht/true#M296994

"What you may find is that when you plug the phone in, there may be a loud crackle to start with, until the current flowing through the line, breaks down any bad connection."

"You may find that the very act of plugging a phone in, and getting dial tone, fixes your broadband, as it breaks down any corrosion."

Is this the bullshit it sounds like or is there some truth to it? I never use the landline though it does have a handset plugged in on mute.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

NoneMoreNegative posted:

My modem / router has been disconnecting multiple times a day, had a engineer out and she suggested a replacement unit (done) and a new RJ11 cable from the wall to the unit (done), and I'm still getting dropouts. A bit of googling and:

Is this the bullshit it sounds like or is there some truth to it? I never use the landline though it does have a handset plugged in on mute.

"breaks down any corrosion" surely has to be nonsense. an unloaded extension might be acting as an antenna picking up interference though, and the impedance of the actual phone on the end can fix that?

i have no actual clue though.

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

BLOBby Newmark posted:

they won’t sell them ;_; so anyone know the reliable spare battery hookup?

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)
there’s gotta be a reputable third party brand out there. I don’t know what it is but it’s gotta exist

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
phone thing sounds like bullshit. if that worked you could just short the two wires of the line together to fix issues.

Anyways if that does fix the issue, there's a bad connection somewhere.

Pierre Chaton
Sep 1, 2006

Jenny Agutter posted:

they won’t sell them ;_; so anyone know the reliable spare battery hookup?

do you know the part number?

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

BLOBby Newmark posted:

do you know the part number?

yeah the battery is a TP1GT or PW23Y, for an XPS 13 9360 laptop. I can find plenty of replacements online, just don't know what to trust

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Private Speech posted:

A bit late but give "pcem" a go, it's a much lower-level emulation than dosbox and supports larger variety of audio cards along with voodoo graphics and 2d cards; though it does require a good cpu to run (it's also heavily multithreaded).

Also unlike dosbox it will emulate a particular CPU and motherboard model, meaning it isn't as reliable in cycle control and the audio is tied to the speed of the emulation (as with e.g. console emulation).

e: the main reason not to use it for everything instead of dosbox would be the lack of shared filesystem and requiring minutes of boot time, as it runs a standard bios complete with PC speaker beeps, but it really is a much better solution for accurately emulating old PC systems

I appreciate the suggestion. I'd really like to get dos sound, even emulated, working on this win98 ThinkPad though. It's weird...in Wolfenstein 3D I am finally getting sound effects, but no music. The music in Wolfenstein surely has to be MIDI, right? MIDI files play just fine on this computer. However I'm only getting sound effects which is even weirder because I think the sound effects are Sound Blaster.

NoneMoreNegative posted:

A year or two ago my internet completely went out for like two days straight. I hooked up my laptop directly to the modem so I determined it was an issue with my router. I returned the router (even though it was three months old...ty Amazon) and the new one worked fine. Then a week later the same thing happened again. I exchanged that one too and that one did the same thing again a week later.

I can't explain the reason behind it but it turned out a WiiU game transfer program somehow completely hosed up my entire network and ability to connect to the internet (even though it didn't even connect to the internet at all). Basically you'd run a program on your PC, then you'd run the transfer app on the hacked WiiU, and you could install games that way instead of having to run back and forth with an SD card a hundred times.

Even when the program wasn't running my internet would be hosed for a good 24 hours. To this day I have no explanation as to what that program could have been doing to gently caress up my entire house but it did. Maybe it's some weird poo poo like that.

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice
hm. have you considered the idea that maybe you got cursed by a wizard?

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Cold on a Cob posted:

hm. have you considered the idea that maybe you got cursed by a wizard?

install wizard strikes again!

Helianthus Annuus
Feb 21, 2006

can i touch your hand
Grimey Drawer

I appreciate the suggestion. I'd really like to get dos sound, even emulated, working on this win98 ThinkPad though. It's weird...in Wolfenstein 3D I am finally getting sound effects, but no music. The music in Wolfenstein surely has to be MIDI, right? MIDI files play just fine on this computer. However I'm only getting sound effects which is even weirder because I think the sound effects are Sound Blaster.

A year or two ago my internet completely went out for like two days straight. I hooked up my laptop directly to the modem so I determined it was an issue with my router. I returned the router (even though it was three months old...ty Amazon) and the new one worked fine. Then a week later the same thing happened again. I exchanged that one too and that one did the same thing again a week later.

I can't explain the reason behind it but it turned out a WiiU game transfer program somehow completely hosed up my entire network and ability to connect to the internet (even though it didn't even connect to the internet at all). Basically you'd run a program on your PC, then you'd run the transfer app on the hacked WiiU, and you could install games that way instead of having to run back and forth with an SD card a hundred times.

Even when the program wasn't running my internet would be hosed for a good 24 hours. To this day I have no explanation as to what that program could have been doing to gently caress up my entire house but it did. Maybe it's some weird poo poo like that.

i think you have electrical problems

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

Jenny Agutter posted:

yeah the battery is a TP1GT or PW23Y, for an XPS 13 9360 laptop. I can find plenty of replacements online, just don't know what to trust

I shop for replacements on ebay that ship from the US, have a picture taken by the seller instead of a stock image, and actually have a dell logo on them. For whatever reason a lot of the Chinese knockoff sellers will blur out the dell logo. I've bought several replacement latitude 7XXX batteries this way and haven't been burned (literally lol) yet, but yeah, it is pretty dicey

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
one of the USB ports on the front of my computer tower is kinda loose and disconnects if you touch it a little. can I fix this without replacing the case

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice

Silver Alicorn posted:

one of the USB ports on the front of my computer tower is kinda loose and disconnects if you touch it a little. can I fix this without replacing the case

there are springy metal bits in the bottom of a usb port that you might be able to bend back up with a toothpick

disconnect power first obvs

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
oh yeah those look a little deflated

looks like I might also be able to buy replacements, but I'm not sure if they'll fit

I might get one of those dealies that goes in one of the 5.25" bays so I can have USB-C on front

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)
i have a hosed up usb port on my Thinkpad too. tried tweaking the little tabs but no dice. think i just need to replace the port. problem is I can’t find the part(s).

the port in question is on the left side. can find plenty of replacements for the right side usbs.

e: uh oh. think they might be part of the motherboard.

President Beep fucked around with this message at 18:10 on Feb 13, 2021

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

gently caress. yep. there they are.

wonder how hard that would be to replace myself...

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

How much experience do you have soldering surface mount connectors? If the answer is "none" you _will_ destroy your motherboard. Practice on some salvage boards first.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

eh, i can (kinda) solder, but if I’ve got to go through the trouble of tearing it out of the chassis anyway I’ll probably just replace it and keep the old one as a spare.

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Just the small tip: If you used custom searches in your chrome address bar you'll see in Chrome 88 you can no longer type eg: yt big bongos to do a youtube search, you have to tab after yt instead of spacebar.

As per

https://www.androidpolice.com/2021/02/04/chrome-88-disables-space-bar-shortcut-for-custom-search-engines-but-theres-a-fix/

disabling

chrome://flags/#omnibox-keyword-search-button
chrome://flags/#omnibox-suggestion-button-row

will get your searches working again.

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice
i like tab for this, it jives with my muscle memory for autocomplete elsewhere

A Wheezy Steampunk
Jul 16, 2006

High School Grads Eligible!
is there a relatively straightforward way to take photos from my iphone 7 to my windows 10 pc if and only if they are not in album (both the system ones like favorites and the albums i've made) and then delete them from my phone?

i have backblaze on my pc and i'm running out of phone storage

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

A Wheezy Steampunk posted:

is there a relatively straightforward way to take photos from my iphone 7 to my windows 10 pc if and only if they are not in album (both the system ones like favorites and the albums i've made) and then delete them from my phone?

idk but maybe something via itunes?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

A Wheezy Steampunk posted:

use onedrive, op