Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Nap Ghost
I'm so sorry to hear about remy :( I was looking forward to seeing him tripod around

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lhet
Apr 2, 2008

bloop

Had to say goodbye today.

Last night I started up a fire and hung out with him all night.

Wasn't sure if we might be able to keep swapping the bandage for a few days, but unfortunately he got so much worse overnight, even on the edges of the bandage things were really really bad. Thankfully we were able to find an at-home service to give him his final sendoff. He was spoiled all day: He got some Tilapia marinated in rum and infused olive oil, over saffron rice, and topped with brie and bonito.

Then when it came closer he started to get forbidden treats: liquor chocolates, really good mead, and sake.

He loves the backyard more than anything, so we brought him to his favorite place in the backyard, where he loves to sleep.

Then for the final sendoff, we gave him some mead and he was able to do what he loved the most: fall asleep with the sun in his face and his head in the grass.

Remy has been such a good dog, and will be sorely missed. The last few weeks have been hard, and the last couple days have been so much harder, but I'm so glad we were able to say goodbye like this.

Lhet fucked around with this message at 01:50 on Jan 28, 2021

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011
Poor Remy...I'm so sorry :(
At least it sounds like he had a great time with you, while it lasted

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Nap Ghost

Lhet posted:

Had to say goodbye today.

Last night I started up a fire and hung out with him all night.

Wasn't sure if we might be able to keep swapping the bandage for a few days, but unfortunately he got so much worse overnight, even on the edges of the bandage things were really really bad. Thankfully we were able to find an at-home service to give him his final sendoff. He was spoiled all day: He got some Tilapia marinated in rum and infused olive oil, over saffron rice, and topped with brie and bonito.

Then when it came closer he started to get forbidden treats: liquor chocolates, really good mead, and sake.

He loves the backyard more than anything, so we brought him to his favorite place in the backyard, where he loves to sleep.

Then for the final sendoff, we gave him some mead and he was able to do what he loved the most: fall asleep with the sun in his face and his head in the grass.

Remy has been such a good dog, and will be sorely missed. The last few weeks have been hard, and the last couple days have been so much harder, but I'm so glad we were able to say goodbye like this.

What a wonderful way to go. I'm so sorry you had to go through it

Thank you so much for sharing Remy with us. I'm hugging my dogs extra tight tonight

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
So sorry to hear this. That’s such a sweet send off though. :(

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

I love capitalism!! DM me for the best investing advice!
I’m sorry to hear about your pup, and am glad he had a loving home.

Radiation Cow
Oct 23, 2010

Remy had a life full of love and the best send-off possible. It must have been heartbreaking to see him turn for the worse so quickly.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

What a nice sendoff! Definitely just gave Abby some hugs. She mainly seemed confused.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Remy :cry:

I hope you’re doing okay. It’s the worst feeling, but you can take comfort in knowing you gave him an amazing life and that you always did right by him

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
RIP Remy. It’s always horrible losing a friend. I hope Katie and I will get that close.

Hard to follow that up, but:

Katie had her first micro-zoomie today! She did the freeze-and-scamper thing like twice. I do worry a little bit she’s going to gain a lot of weight, since we don’t go outside for very long and she hasn’t shown any interest in running yet (the ground is frozen so it might be dangerous anyway). I think her fancy coats show up today so maybe that will help with taking longer walks (just in time for the rain all weekend! :suicide:)

Unfortunately she’s also seemed to gain an aversion to her crate. I tried luring her in this morning while I showered but she didn’t want to, despite a treat in there she wanted. She ended up following me upstairs again and seemingly laid peacefully while I was in there, but I’m a bit worried about what this means for leaving her alone. I would greatly prefer she’s in the crate at first since I know she’ll be safe. Also how do you get a sleepyhead grey into a crate? I know she springs to life seconds after I leave from video footage.

Should I try feeding her in there to build up some more positive reinforcements?

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Abby sends her sympathies

Only registered members can see post attachments!

NomNomNom
Jul 20, 2008
Please Work Out
First week crating: all food in the crate. The crate is a happy place. Want a toy? In the crate. Humans are leaving and I'm scared? Aw snap, I get a bully stick in my crate.

It's not hard. It's not dog jail, it's your dog's safe space super cool hangout zone.

Pictured, a dog who can't loving wait to go to bed. I'm pretty sure he actively dislikes me working from home because he can't sleep for 8 straight hours.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
Hmm, I can start doing food in the crate instead. I think this weekend I’ll work around having to leave and we can try it next week.

Picture tax:

New coats came in! Looking snazzy Katie

Wake up sleepy head! Time to go downstairs

(I put an old pillow next to the closet door because her nails on the fake grain was annoying)

Katie is apparently capable of sitting, I know some of them can’t

Edit: lol I gave her breakfast in the crate today and now when I’m doing breakfast and she’s bored she went in there by herself. The well isn’t poisoned!

david_a fucked around with this message at 14:15 on Jan 29, 2021

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

nice coat! k9 apparel right? it definitely looks familiar

Only registered members can see post attachments!

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
Yes, K9

Katie is having a bit of a weird day. I think the week caught up to her a bit.

Earlier in the week she was a bit spooked of going out, so anytime she actually wants to go walking I let her. After lunch today we took a long walk - she was mainly leading the way, sniffing and staring at everything. When we tried to go back in she really didn’t want to, despite the temperature. I might have forced her a bit and I think it upset her. She also didn’t relieve herself at all despite not going since before breakfast.

She didn’t want to settle down when inside (I thought maybe she realized that she did have to go after all) so we went out again. I was mostly her staring and listening for 40 minutes until she wanted in. She seemed calmer after coming back.

We went out again for maybe an hour and for some reason she really wanted to go to the road, which I didn’t let her. Lots more of standing still, not wanting to move much, and listening & watching stuff. After a while she was actually shivering so I eventually managed to get her in.

Dinner was exciting and she’s settled down for a snooze in her crate.

This seems like she’s just getting used to her new environment, right? I’m trying to be respectful of her needs, but I also don’t want her to get too cold or cause her any trauma. I think maybe she’s a bit lonely too.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

young greyhounds can have pretty big bladders, when I first got her I remember Abby didn't even want to go out before bed, so she'd end up going from like 5 pm to the next morning just fine.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

david_a posted:

Yes, K9

Katie is having a bit of a weird day. I think the week caught up to her a bit.

Earlier in the week she was a bit spooked of going out, so anytime she actually wants to go walking I let her. After lunch today we took a long walk - she was mainly leading the way, sniffing and staring at everything. When we tried to go back in she really didn’t want to, despite the temperature. I might have forced her a bit and I think it upset her. She also didn’t relieve herself at all despite not going since before breakfast.

She didn’t want to settle down when inside (I thought maybe she realized that she did have to go after all) so we went out again. I was mostly her staring and listening for 40 minutes until she wanted in. She seemed calmer after coming back.

We went out again for maybe an hour and for some reason she really wanted to go to the road, which I didn’t let her. Lots more of standing still, not wanting to move much, and listening & watching stuff. After a while she was actually shivering so I eventually managed to get her in.

Dinner was exciting and she’s settled down for a snooze in her crate.

This seems like she’s just getting used to her new environment, right? I’m trying to be respectful of her needs, but I also don’t want her to get too cold or cause her any trauma. I think maybe she’s a bit lonely too.
Okay so I had trouble walking Bonnie when I first got her. She did all the stuff you're talking about. Some of this is down to learning how to be a pet, but there's some stuff you can do to help her along.

It helped us so much getting a long lead - like 30ft - and using it at the park or in a forest or whatever. Giving her space and being able to walk ahead taught her to follow after us. I'm sure this is common sense, but never use it with a collar! Only with a harness.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
Oh, before I forget: she made it down the stairs all by herself today!!! :) Well, with lots of treats, anyways. She did it twice but I doubt she’ll do it without encouragement still.

actionjackson posted:

young greyhounds can have pretty big bladders, when I first got her I remember Abby didn't even want to go out before bed, so she'd end up going from like 5 pm to the next morning just fine.

Yeah I figure that’s part of it too, she’s young enough she can hold it super long

jesus WEP posted:

Okay so I had trouble walking Bonnie when I first got her. She did all the stuff you're talking about. Some of this is down to learning how to be a pet, but there's some stuff you can do to help her along.

It helped us so much getting a long lead - like 30ft - and using it at the park or in a forest or whatever. Giving her space and being able to walk ahead taught her to follow after us. I'm sure this is common sense, but never use it with a collar! Only with a harness.

That’s actually really encouraging to hear, thanks. I haven’t gotten a harness yet but I need to at least get one for the car (or is that a different type of harness?).

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

You can't really judge anything a dog does in the first three weeks, that's how long it takes for them to get used to their new home and family. If you can give them lots of love and patience you're gonna get them off on the right foot :)

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Nap Ghost

jesus WEP posted:

You can't really judge anything a dog does in the first three weeks, that's how long it takes for them to get used to their new home and family. If you can give them lots of love and patience you're gonna get them off on the right foot :)

Three days before they realize "I guess this is permanent I better get used to it", three weeks before they start to understand the routine and how things work with you, three months before they are relaxed and confident enough their true personality starts coming out.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

three millennia before they acquire a lick of sense

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

jesus WEP posted:

three millennia before they acquire a lick of sense

Hey Katie, I’m trying to let you take your time figuring stuff out and all, but when you refuse to budge out of the middle of a road for long enough that you start shivering from the cold, I’m going to be forced to pick you up!

Akbar
Nov 22, 2004

Hubba-
Hubba.
Starbuck started having diarrhea a few days ago and it seems to be getting a bit worse (she woke up twice tonight to have us take her out, whereupon she trotted for a while and dumped out some gross poop/poop water 2-3 times). We're going to add some pumpkin and white rice to her food to help her keep things together. I don't think it's diet-related unless she managed to chomp some food she wasn't supposed to. My best guess is it might be an allergy given that she's been licking her lower legs lately and matting the fur down there. Are there any common greyhound allergies, how can we tell, and how should we treat it?

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Nap Ghost

Akbar posted:

Starbuck started having diarrhea a few days ago and it seems to be getting a bit worse (she woke up twice tonight to have us take her out, whereupon she trotted for a while and dumped out some gross poop/poop water 2-3 times). We're going to add some pumpkin and white rice to her food to help her keep things together. I don't think it's diet-related unless she managed to chomp some food she wasn't supposed to. My best guess is it might be an allergy given that she's been licking her lower legs lately and matting the fur down there. Are there any common greyhound allergies, how can we tell, and how should we treat it?

Check that it's not hemorrhagic gastroenteritis. Giving pumpkin and rice will help, important thing is that she stays hydrated

Akbar
Nov 22, 2004

Hubba-
Hubba.

DarkHorse posted:

Check that it's not hemorrhagic gastroenteritis. Giving pumpkin and rice will help, important thing is that she stays hydrated

Reading up on it, I don't think it's HGE. She hasn't been vomiting and the stools are yellow (her normal color), not brown or red. She got us up two more times this morning and is just curled up on the couch looking kinda pathetic today.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Akbar posted:

Reading up on it, I don't think it's HGE. She hasn't been vomiting and the stools are yellow (her normal color), not brown or red. She got us up two more times this morning and is just curled up on the couch looking kinda pathetic today.

Don't "read up on it," go to the vet. That's your responsibility as a dog owner.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Nap Ghost

actionjackson posted:

Don't "read up on it," go to the vet. That's your responsibility as a dog owner.

Yup this is it

Diarrhea that does not resolve is a BIG danger sign and the more you delay the harder it will be to recover if it's something serious. She could have eaten poison, have an infection, or a tumor messing with digestion. Only a professional will be able to tell for sure.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Abby had GE a couple years ago, she had to get an entire bag of fluid, which looked funny for a while because it was all just kind of hanging below her chest after it went in

Akbar
Nov 22, 2004

Hubba-
Hubba.

DarkHorse posted:

Yup this is it

Diarrhea that does not resolve is a BIG danger sign and the more you delay the harder it will be to recover if it's something serious. She could have eaten poison, have an infection, or a tumor messing with digestion. Only a professional will be able to tell for sure.

Ok, we'll make an appointment and let the vet know what we've observed. What a "normal timeframe" for diarrhea resolving? Today's maybe day 2-3 for Starbuck (last night was the first night she woke us to go out) and we're trying to encourage her to drink water regularly today. She also chippered up after I posted this morning, acting like her normal curious self on a ~30 minute walk and then going a little bugnuts when a visitor stopped by.

E: ok, the vet has an opening in about an hour so we'll get her checked out

Akbar fucked around with this message at 20:02 on Feb 1, 2021

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

You can't use an internet forum as a substitute for veterinary advice (i.e. asking us a normal time frame for diarrhea resolving). I'm going to harp on you because this is serious - you have an obligation to your greyhound to get him/her proper medical care when things like this come up.

If you want, there are some vets in this subforum I think that you could talk with, but again that's not a replacement for your actual vet.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
How do I work on getting Katie aligned to my schedule?

As I sort of suspected, she was extra subdued last week because of the stress of everything. This week she feels safer and is more interested in doing things and is letting me know she is a 2.5 year old.

She doesn’t seem super keen on taking a morning walk but I think I will try harder tomorrow. It seems like at around 10:30 she’s like “OK time for walk now.” I ate lunch earlier than I planned and we had a pretty long walk afterwards.

We come back and she snoozes for a little little while but then 2 is apparently Zoomie Time followed by “OMG let’s go for a walk again.” Yesterday I didn’t give in but today I caved at like 3 and she stayed out for another hour.

She hasn’t wanted to do zoomies or run while outside but I can’t tell if that is due to confidence, wearing a jacket, the weather...

Sort of related, but if we have differing opinions on which direction to walk, what is the best way to handle that? Stubbornly wait her out? Try to encourage her? I figure forcing her is the worst alternative.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

david_a posted:

Sort of related, but if we have differing opinions on which direction to walk, what is the best way to handle that? Stubbornly wait her out? Try to encourage her? I figure forcing her is the worst alternative.

Not an answer to your question, but I just wanted to add that I've been experiencing this with Opal a lot, too. We've figured out that she seems to have one route locked-in as the route she wants to take every single walk...and any deviation is met with her immense stubbornness. Neither waiting her out or carrying her (which I think someone here suggested, when I originally brought it up) work - she has zero shame, when it comes to being carried! :D It just seems like she doesn't want to go to the effort of walking, but she has serious FOMO, so she cries (a lot. And very loudly) unless we take her, so it kinda seems like forcing us on a walk of her choosing, before returning is her definition of a compromise, heh.

Oh and it's only a short walk too, unless we do it while it's dark and she gets lost. (We walk around a lake before returning - so if it's dark she often forgets where she's going and wants to do a few laps of the lake. Which is great for Taz since he wants the exercise, but coaxing Opal into going the right direction can sometimes be a pain)

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Major Isoor posted:

Not an answer to your question, but I just wanted to add that I've been experiencing this with Opal a lot, too. We've figured out that she seems to have one route locked-in as the route she wants to take every single walk...and any deviation is met with her immense stubbornness. Neither waiting her out or carrying her (which I think someone here suggested, when I originally brought it up) work - she has zero shame, when it comes to being carried! :D It just seems like she doesn't want to go to the effort of walking, but she has serious FOMO, so she cries (a lot. And very loudly) unless we take her, so it kinda seems like forcing us on a walk of her choosing, before returning is her definition of a compromise, heh.

Oh and it's only a short walk too, unless we do it while it's dark and she gets lost. (We walk around a lake before returning - so if it's dark she often forgets where she's going and wants to do a few laps of the lake. Which is great for Taz since he wants the exercise, but coaxing Opal into going the right direction can sometimes be a pain)

I got the advice that taking the exact same route from your home is a good thing since if they ever get loose, that’s the way they’ll go.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

david_a posted:

I got the advice that taking the exact same route from your home is a good thing since if they ever get loose, that’s the way they’ll go.

True - normally I stick to a very similar route each time, like if I'm just taking Taz...but well, the main problem is that the route Opal wants us to take is much shorter than desired. Plus, if we drive to parklands etc. (to see if she'll want to walk around more, in an entirely foreign environment) half the time she won't want to walk more than 10-20 metres, unless there's sufficient reason to (e.g. my parents' dog joining us)

NomNomNom
Jul 20, 2008
Please Work Out
We would just walk the direction Watson wanted... For like 5 feet, and then slowly loop back the direction we wanted. Not sure if he wised up, but he's less impulsive 6 months in.

Akbar
Nov 22, 2004

Hubba-
Hubba.

actionjackson posted:

You can't use an internet forum as a substitute for veterinary advice (i.e. asking us a normal time frame for diarrhea resolving). I'm going to harp on you because this is serious - you have an obligation to your greyhound to get him/her proper medical care when things like this come up.

If you want, there are some vets in this subforum I think that you could talk with, but again that's not a replacement for your actual vet.

I was asking for advice as a new dog owner because I don't have any informed expectations as to what's "normal" and what's aberrant. From the books we read before getting her, diarrhea can either be an occasional thing due to the dog sneaking food she wasn't supposed to or something life-threatening like HGE. I'm glad you suggested it but I was already taking the situation seriously -- her exhibiting a new, worrying behavior was why I asked for other perspectives in the first place. If you've seen my way-too-involved effortposts in the past couple of months, I don't take pet ownership lightly. I apologize if it sounded like I was dismissing you.

In any case, the vet says Starbuck has an inflamed colon and gave us some meds for that, but otherwise said she seemed fine, had no abdominal pain, and was hydrated. Her fecal test was also negative for anything. However, he seemed interested by what I described as her usual pooping behavior, which is that she might poop 2-3 times on a long walk or 4-5 times a day if we have time to take her out frequently. Usually the first one will be "well-baked" and pretty firm, but subsequent poops might be smaller and softer. We had been thinking that she's just trained herself to void when she's let outside. We've also become friends with another couple who adopted a similarly-aged grey from the same breeder (not littermates unfortunately) and their dog poops the same way. The vet thinks that's too often and might be a sign of whipworms or IBD so he also gave us some dewormer, and we can try an elimination diet if that doesn't change anything.

So here's my next question: how do your dogs poop?

skoolmunkee
Jun 27, 2004

Tell your friends we're coming for them

I apologize but I have been enjoying the stories of stubborn and silly dogs. It wouldn’t be so funny to me if my josie was so set in her ways, but she isn’t, so Opal & co. are very funny.

Josie has 2 poos a day normally, however, often on walks she likes to force another one out, which is always runny and disgusting, but apparently walks are so amazing they require as many poops as can be manufactured.

NomNomNom
Jul 20, 2008
Please Work Out
Watson poops a minimum of 4 times a day. Two on the morning walk, once at noon, and once in the evening. All are good firm stools.

Occasionally he tried to back it up on a bush or tree.

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
Hazel is similar in that she’ll poop 2-3 times on a walk of 45 mins+ with the first being good and next two smaller and not great.

After that she sometimes goes once more in the evening but that’s it.

We know that the crappy (sorry!) original biscuits we bought are the source of the softness. I’m expecting things to get better once that bag is all done (soon!).

Unrelated: we are going to try get a trainer to come to our house as she’s getting more stubborn about not going out and has started growling when she gets on furniture she’s not supposed to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

skoolmunkee posted:

I apologize but I have been enjoying the stories of stubborn and silly dogs. It wouldn’t be so funny to me if my josie was so set in her ways, but she isn’t, so Opal & co. are very funny.

Josie has 2 poos a day normally, however, often on walks she likes to force another one out, which is always runny and disgusting, but apparently walks are so amazing they require as many poops as can be manufactured.

Oh yeah, it is kinda funny! Gets a little awkward explaining why we're walking past the same couple sitting on a bench three times in 10min, though... :D Opal also can't be tricked, unless it's dark. If we do it her way, then try leading her back on-course, she'll just stop. She's very stubborn when she wants to be.

Also, Taz is the same as Josie. He'll normally do a poo 1-2 (generally twice) a day, but when he goes on a walk he'll try and push out as much poo as he can. He seems to think that I can't possibly be enjoying our walks unless I have a full poo-bag in my hand!