Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Fartington Butts posted:

The episode after it is the one with the mournful tits.

Edit: And holy poo poo there's a character named Storm Front.

Stormfront got it's name from an actual meteorological thing and so did the guy with weather powers

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
okay, i know this is incredibly ancient news, but i watched the venture christmas special last month and just remembered something i wanted to bring up

.......what the gently caress is with Pete hitting on Treanna?! seriously???

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

okay, i know this is incredibly ancient news, but i watched the venture christmas special last month and just remembered something i wanted to bring up

.......what the gently caress is with Pete hitting on Treanna?! seriously???

drat that sure puts a spin on his days fronting for child prodigies.

Also it's Triana, as in "order of the Triad".

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
That probably reads a lot more differently after the 00s when grown men hitting on teenagers stopped being a punchline, but Pete is a dirtbag, that is well established.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
The xmas special was also just a dream.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
She shot him down with a fantastically sick burn.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Ghost Leviathan posted:

That probably reads a lot more differently after the 00s when grown men hitting on teenagers stopped being a punchline, but Pete is a dirtbag, that is well established.

right, but Billy doesn't say "dude that's hosed up, she's like half your age if that", he just says "she's way out of your league, also you're gay lol"

X_Toad
Apr 2, 2011

Mr. Nice! posted:

The xmas special was also just a dream.
Rusty's dream at that, and we all know how young Nicky was when they conceived Dermott (ok, technically he thought she was 20, but still), so maybe he projected on White ? We don't have a lot to go on with White, but I believe the fantasies we've heard about were about adult women ?

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

X_Toad posted:

Rusty's dream at that, and we all know how young Nicky was when they conceived Dermott (ok, technically he thought she was 20, but still), so maybe he projected on White ? We don't have a lot to go on with White, but I believe the fantasies we've heard about were about adult women ?

You fantasize about conquering...the mother from growing pains!?

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

it's in the mighty hands of steel
Fun Shoe
Also, it's not like much of White's character had been fleshed out at this point. He was a guy in a funny outfit with a thick accent who lived with a short dude with a giant head. He went to school with Rusty and wasn't too handy with a shrink ray.

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Step 1: Start fight
Step 2: Attack straw man
Step 3: REPEAT

Do not engage with me

I didn't understand the question, guys!

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
Miss Bonnie Bedelia, meow!

Fartington Butts
Jan 21, 2007

Whoever made this did a bad photoshop job, but still:

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Mr. Nice! posted:

You fantasize about conquering...the mother from growing pains!?

Oh god I still remember the uber-creepy look on Pete's face after that was revealed.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

Fartington Butts posted:

Whoever made this did a bad photoshop job, but still:

I bet he'd do a good "Chirp!"

Fartington Butts
Jan 21, 2007

My god he would. And I can exactly hear it.

Edit: I just hit the point when they brought Dermot back in S7. I totally forgot they did that.

Edit2: Dear christ this episode has some of the best wordplay. "You're shoving your hand up my rear end and telling me you're Jim Henson!" (Gathers)

"You're throwing up in my hair and telling me it's shampooo!" (Shoreleave)

"We're talking level 5 that's like a guy called Mr. Cold and has a snow cone maker set on high!" (Dragoon/Red dude)

Fartington Butts fucked around with this message at 06:46 on Jan 26, 2021

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I've said it before, that boy was born to be a shithead private and he seems happy for it.

As much of a shithead as Dermott is, someone pointed out he's been nothing but a good friend to Hank, and even tries to get along with Dean for the most part. That he's a completely unremarkable teenage dirtbag hanging with boy adventurers is the kind of dynamic that makes the show really work. I need that one clip where Hank explains to Dermott how easy it is to fool Doc because he's grown up surrounded by so much weirdness he really has no useful benchmark for reality anymore, so the more insane the excuse the better.

Oh, reminds me- one of the points of contention in negotiations was the OSI wanted to have two agents on site at all arching events, even ones that the Guild considers to be basically a nuisance, and given the one agent showed up at the St Cloud vs Billy and Pete level 1 arching I'd guess the OSI ended up conceding that demand?

Fartington Butts
Jan 21, 2007

Dermot is that kid from middle school that seems like an rear end in a top hat, but actually means good. AND... motherfucker actually had a ob at the mall while he was stealing poo poo from Gamestop or whatever.

I was constantly drinking and angry about the world after a layoff when Season 7 came out so it's like.... newish to me?

Fartington Butts
Jan 21, 2007

Double post because... I'm sure this has been posted previouslly, but it's wild to me. I was gonna say Jimmy Fallon took over after saeson 4 but I guess I'm wrong. But I'm also surprised that this carried enough "umph" to have it come to this show.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4K7eSmh28EE

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Fartington Butts posted:

Edit2: Dear christ this episode has some of the best wordplay. "You're shoving your hand up my rear end and telling me you're Jim Henson!" (Gathers Shoreleave)

"You're throwing up in my hair and telling me it's shampooo!" (Shoreleave Gathers)

"We're talking level 5 that's like a guy called Mr. Cold and has a snow cone maker set on high!" (Dragoon/Red Mantle dude)

FTFY. :colbert:

But really, that's one of my favorite episodes.

Dragoon: Are you staring us down, sir?!
Shoreleave: I'm smizing at you! You wanna fight me, bring it! You wanna challenge me for my golden fleece, you loving hydra!?

pablo gbscobar
Nov 24, 2007

oh shit i got the snype

:wom:
Lipstick Apathy
Yeah that episode is great and it sucks that we'll never get a follow-up or any closure on the reveal that Rusty is a clone as well. Apparently they were originally going to have Triana make an appearance in that episode as well but ended up nixing it in favour of the Red Helper plot, which is a shame as I've always wanted to see how Dean would interact with her now that he's more mature and seemingly over his crush on her.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters

Fartington Butts posted:

Double post because... I'm sure this has been posted previouslly, but it's wild to me. I was gonna say Jimmy Fallon took over after saeson 4 but I guess I'm wrong. But I'm also surprised that this carried enough "umph" to have it come to this show.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4K7eSmh28EE
This was from when Pulp reunited for the first time in ~10 years and were playing at Radio City Music Hall for a couple of their only US reunion tour dates, they were booked regardless (and played the closest thing to a stateside hit they ever had, Common People on the actual telecast) but it seemed like the band was genuinely pleased that one of their songs was used for the Venture Bros. The performance of "Like a Friend" was a web exclusive.

The song wasn't a regular part of their initial UK setlists but they played it at Radio City and acknowledged Hammer and Publick were at the show, and they played it much more frequently for the remainder of their reunion tour.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
Sitting around with the 24/7 stream on in the background, and I just realized that Dr. Orpheus calls out the Action Man's season 7 stroke in season 1. :psyduck:

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

AlternateNu posted:

Sitting around with the 24/7 stream on in the background, and I just realized that Dr. Orpheus calls out the Action Man's season 7 stroke in season 1. :psyduck:

Yeah it’s a great callback and also highlights how insanely quickly everything between happened.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Hey. Regardless of its future, it's pretty cool how many seasons of this perfectly unique and wonderful show we got, hih?

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
It sure was, bud, it sure was. They had a noble sendoff in Operation P.R.O.M. and everything since then has been pure bonus material. Think of our pals The Venture Bros. as sailin' on out into space just like General Traister, and hope they find some aylee-enn technologee to return them to us in the form of a kind and merciful streaming network.

...Aw, what am I thinking, a "kind and merciful network" is pure comic book fantasy.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

It's getting another season. I recommend fear and trembling by søren kierkegaard if you feel yourself doubting.

Fartington Butts
Jan 21, 2007

I get to introduce this show to my very younger cousin tomorrow . I’m starting with the first episode I saw: Hate Floats.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

An HD remaster of Babylon 5 hit HBO Max this week. All things are possible.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Someone on reddit just pointed something out that I thought was interesting. In the season 1 episode Mid-Life Chrysalis, the guy doing Brock's exam to get his license back is General Treister's son. Then a few seasons later, in Venture Libre, Hatred has flashbacks to when he was given the serum that turned him into what he is. In that scene, it shows that it is bring your son to work day and Treister has his son there in the chamber they are injecting Hatred in. Then hatred goes into a rage and tries to molest the kid. I guess every father in this universe is just absolutely terrible and puts their children in terrible situations.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Fun Shoe

Cojawfee posted:

Someone on reddit just pointed something out that I thought was interesting. In the season 1 episode Mid-Life Chrysalis, the guy doing Brock's exam to get his license back is General Treister's son. Then a few seasons later, in Venture Libre, Hatred has flashbacks to when he was given the serum that turned him into what he is. In that scene, it shows that it is bring your son to work day and Treister has his son there in the chamber they are injecting Hatred in. Then hatred goes into a rage and tries to molest the kid. I guess every father in this universe is just absolutely terrible and puts their children in terrible situations.

Well to be fair, Treister was just bringing his kid to work, and his work is weird. Hatred going all bad-touch-crazy was probably not a foreseeable side-effect. Treister thought he was taking his kid to see a real-life Captain America get made, not a Captain Driver Of A Windowless Van That Roams The Neighborhood Offering Free Candy. And, the kid seems no worse for the wear, since his brief later appearances show him to be competent and stable.

Fartington Butts
Jan 21, 2007

Today I showed my aunt (she loves animation and almost worked at Pixar right out of college) and cousin (12) Hate Floats and some of Dia de Los Dangerous. They loved it.

I have spread the gospel just like Otto Aquarius.

Snark
Sep 19, 2003

no dice

TK-42-1 posted:

Yeah it’s a great callback and also highlights how insanely quickly everything between happened.

Even the matter of fact way Orpheus says "...a stroke" during the stroke reinforces the callback.

I'm a huge Orpheus fan in case it wasn't clear. He's the sweetest awkward single dad ever and he's just so kind to 21 in Operation PROM. It's hard coming to terms with the fact that Baba Oje is not, in fact, the titular Mr. Wendal.

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Looks like someone forgot his hardhat...
I'm so glad Orpheus and 21 got a scene together and they were pretty cool to each other, even if Orpheus was drunk and 21 was ... going through some stuff.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
So any sign of life with the HBO thing? I mean they are putting money down for a movie over that Gamestop insanity.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
I always liked that Jefferson thought the real Baba Oje would "love this", this being a bizarre homeschool prom.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Fun Shoe
I like that Baba Oje keeps getting referenced, usually incorrectly in some way, in that episode.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

tarlibone posted:

I like that Baba Oje keeps getting referenced, usually incorrectly in some way, in that episode.

...Mr. Wendal?

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Fun Shoe
He also wasn't the one who said "You cannot step into the same river twice."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
I need more of this show in my life.

...I need more of this show. There, I said it. I'm not sorry.