Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

Klyith posted:

I'd eat a $5 cookie, but not $70 worth of $5 cookies

This person gets it. Johnny Walker Blue is nice, but it’s not a daily drinker.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

apatheticman posted:

Is there an option to not show the spine fund badges?

It is my greatest shame, well after my life.

If you donate again after the handover the badge changes colour.

AdmiralViscen
Nov 2, 2011

I feel like if the Patreon rewards are free access to poo poo that you already have to pay for, it might wind up being revenue neutral or worse

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

I think it's pretty clear from this thread that a ton of people would pony up for a patreon out of love if the website, i don't think you need to tie it to any reward. A lot of us feel that we get a lot of value out of this website and could afford to help support it but don't particularly feel like we need to buy a new av every month. Some other posters can't afford it and deserve to keep getting the most of their original :10bux:. But I'm not an e biz mastermind so who knows.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
I signed up for Lowtax's patreon to support the forums, because I sure as poo poo wasn't watching Gaming Garbage. I'd sign up for another one that was actually keeping the place afloat

I gotta say too that a membership option does give a certain air of sophistication and exclusivity to the place, don't you think? :rackem:

Nitr0
Aug 17, 2005

IT'S FREE REAL ESTATE
You should put all the revenue into GME

Ork of Fiction
Jul 22, 2013
Jeffery: Here are the forums finances, as you can see, the forums are in the black, generating ~$4000 in profit per month.
Goons: HOW CAN I GIVE MONEY???

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler

alnilam posted:

I think it's pretty clear from this thread that a ton of people would pony up for a patreon out of love if the website, i don't think you need to tie it to any reward. A lot of us feel that we get a lot of value out of this website and could afford to help support it but don't particularly feel like we need to buy a new av every month. Some other posters can't afford it and deserve to keep getting the most of their original :10bux:. But I'm not an e biz mastermind so who knows.

Yeah I'm not really the type of person who buys avatars or whatever all the time but I'd be happy to sub to a patreon that went to improving the forums/keeping them afloat. That's why I subbed to Lowtax's patreon before it turned out he was a huge piece of poo poo liar-abuser. lol that he never seemed to realize people wanted to give him money just for the sake of the forums and not because of Gaming Garbage which was in fact garbage.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
I can't afford much but would do a patreon - I don't need a reward, this is one of my favourite places on the internet with the 'curated' news from the particular threads I haunt. I'm a skint oldie :corsair: so was paying $2.99 - not sure how much of that was going to Lowtax / tax / patreon. (My av changes and platinum privs were donated by anonymous persons.)

Advantage of patreon is if you are doing several, it just comes off in one monthly hit instead of having yet another outgoings pot to think about.

Front page? I think I went on it twice. I found this whole site by googling a particular incident in British politics and landing in one of the threads so definitely agree it should be low priority.

dee eight
Dec 18, 2002

The Spirit
of Maynard

:catdrugs:
if y'all want to give money away i'll take some

CHODEGOD420
Oct 27, 2020

by Athanatos
I'm sorry for my comments. Jeffery is a good person and I wish him well on his ventures. I will donate all my savings of $5 million to this site

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Ork of Fiction posted:

Jeffery: Here are the forums finances, as you can see, the forums are in the black, generating ~$4000 in profit per month.

These forums are exceptionally important for a lot of people, past and present. 20 bucks a month for the entire time I've been registered wouldn't really be enough to pay back what these dead gay forums have given me.

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

Hi I like somethingawful.com

I have been posting here for nearly 15 years and if anything, I’m worse than when I started.

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

Wait I have an idea:

Require a credit card tied to your account and every post charges a nickel

Bada bing bada boom

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

Yorkshire Pudding posted:

Wait I have an idea:

Require a credit card tied to your account and every post charges a nickel

Bada bing bada boom

So if you post in FYAD you make money?

Serjeant Snubbin
Feb 1, 2002

Pillbug

ChubbyChecker posted:

lmao at how much lowtax lied
My wallet is upset by how much Lowtax lied.

Are you going to get back in touch with the front page writing staff and bring them back on?

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

I intend to be proactive in growing this place, be it be enticing old users to return

How much would it cost me in patreons to get permabanned user "bring back old gbs" aka "32 MB OF ESRAM" unbanned?

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

This borders on competence and I am not used to it

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Ork of Fiction posted:

I think it's a pretty easy call that the first couple months of jeffrey's ownership would have an unusually high amount of avs bought, returning regs, and other forms of :homebrew: to celebrate. Monthly revenue will probably not be that high in the future. And if he's thinking of spending more on hosting and paying to improve the SA code, it'll leave the black real quick.

People donated thousands a month to Lowtax, and the main reason was because we thought that if he was too broke the forums would go away. Plus a whole heap of emotional manipulation and lying, but mostly the forums.

Also, Jeffrey's said he's not looking to make money from this, but if he wanted to pay himself back I think that would be totally cool with most people. Maybe the patreon reward tier can be shares in GBS LLC, and we eventually transition into a poster-owned cooperative.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Ork of Fiction posted:

Oh you just skimmed the numbers and didn’t read the post then, huh?

SimpleCoax
Aug 7, 2003

TV is the thing this year.
Hair Elf
I would do a patreon but I would have to mail you the cash each month. LMK

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

jesus christ lowtax was lying out of his rear end on how much this site costs to just clear basic operations. you could probably cherry pick 5-10 people here probably put that much money into their own discord servers monthly

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

beep by grandpa posted:

jesus christ lowtax was lying out of his rear end on how much this site costs to just clear basic operations. you could probably cherry pick 5-10 people here probably put that much money into their own discord servers monthly

He wasn't lying its just that nobody bundled in the website-owned Nissan GTR lease payments and its need for premium gas, fluids, tires, tickets and insurance premiums.

Just wait till this website gets its NISMO 370Z

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

Just tell me an address and I will place a stamp on a $5 bill once a month to save Patreon fees.

Dead Like Rev
Sep 6, 2010

"The dead walk among us."

Hahahaaha holy crap congrats to Skyl3lazer. Also I’d patreon gladly.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
I was subscribed to the old patreon until poo poo went down, I'd subscribe to the new one. I don't want to use the donation link because I have the best tag right now

Clibanarius
Sep 22, 2020

by Athanatos

I would like to congratulate Skyl3lazer for spending the most the first month - he will get to permaban lowtax! He spent enough to pay for an entire month of hosting costs, super cool.

Hell yeah, dude. I know him from: Path of Exile Goons and #poligoon on synIRC!

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

But the real question is how many Audi’s can you lease a month with the forums income ?

Maybe we can do like a ride share deal where everyone gets the car for a day

henpod
Mar 7, 2008

Sir, we have located the Bioweapon.
College Slice
Down for a few bucks/month to keep the corpse of this dead gay forum twitching.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

this place is home and I'll chip in

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
I'm still curious to know how much Lowtax was paid for the assets.

Teledahn
May 14, 2009

What is that bear doing there?

gently caress SNEEP posted:

did anyone mention using Google Pay or Amazon Pay or PayPal (if they haven't unblacklisted SA yet lol) as payment processing yet? idk how much that would help reduce credit card transaction fees

I was going to post something very similar. I admit I'm in Canada land, where I don't have to pay for healthcare and my government isn't wasn't actively trying to plot my death, but paying 6-8% in fees on credit card transactions is bonkers, like actually bonkers. We should definitely be able to cut it in half, get that down to 3-4%.
The catch I guess is you'd need a processor plugin that would work with whatever electric-hamster based architecture is actually running the forums store. This is also predicated on the forums store remaining extant, which may or may not be the case.

I admit, my experience is dealing with different a market segment, not people buying 5$ memes for each other, but I am curious who is providing our merchant account? If we've a variable rate depending on customer cards it sounds like they're not an aggregator, ie maybe not a very big outfit and we potentially could do much better elsewhere.

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

perhaps the patreon folks should give their extra money to some charities instead

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

everybody relax, i'm here
Nap Ghost

ChubbyChecker posted:

perhaps the patreon folks should give their extra money to some charities instead

This isn't really the same equivalence, it's more like a subscription to support a service that I enjoy, two different categories of spending. Plus without knowing the numbers I think Jeffrey deserves some recompense whatever cash he outlaid to basically save this place -- someone mentioned resetera and if you know what happened with neogaf this place was on a similar trajectory, preventing that type of implosion was pretty clutch

The Artificial Kid
Feb 22, 2002
Plibble
So we aren’t about to have our next Fred Sanfordesque “big one”?

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Mod sass? This evening?! But the cakes aren't ready! THE CAKES!
Fun Shoe

Freakazoid_ posted:

I'm still curious to know how much Lowtax was paid for the assets.

at 4x those margins about $200k but who knows

NoDamage
Dec 2, 2000

Forums tech has been progressing nicely. I am still in the process of doing the legal legwork to hire Astral (it is more onerous than I ever realized to do this right.) We have some big improvements planned even if many of them are under the hood. There is a tech forum now that I expect will get much more active over the coming year as more stuff changes.

Overall, while we are covering our costs just fine, I could use more money for development work. I am not going to pretend that we're on our last legs, or struggling to pay hosting costs. That said, I am going to spend money on modernizing the software and software process around here. Developer hours are expensive and there is a lot of work to be done to modernize this place.
Have you considered taking on volunteers? I bet if you asked in Cavern of COBOL you'd find a bunch of people willing to contribute. Considering how time I've spent on this forum over the past two decades I'd be happy to put my spare time towards improving it.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
*Jeff enters SA fixer upper after purchasing it from Lowtax*

"A doom forum?!"

pad thai hi-five
Aug 11, 2003

Oven Wrangler
Just to chime in, please set up a new patreon.

These forums have provided me with entertainment and information for a long time now, and I will gladly support them again.

I gave to the Gaming Garbage patreon not because of Lowtax, but because I thought I was helping keep this site around. I would give money again to whatever patreon replaces it.

Thank you for taking care of this place.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Jeffrey is very good! 2021 is all about healing.