Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

stev posted:

In my mind season 1 was always one of the weakest - cheesier music choices, much more of a sitcommy pastiche feel, wacky 'my family's trying to kill me, but which one?' plot.

Rewatching it though that's really just the pilot and maybe a couple of episodes after that. When it finds its feet it's fantastic straight away. I think that awful promo/poster must have coloured my perceptions over the years - it seriously gives the wrong impression of what the series is.

Yeah the first episode very much felt like "Goodfellas: The Show" and I'm grateful that it didn't even take a full season to shift away from that.

Not that Goodfellas: The Show wouldn't be entertaining, but it would certainly not be what the sopranos became

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Yeah, every time I rewatch the pilot all I can think is,"This show desperately wants to be Goodfellas" and, as wonderful as that movie is, I'm so glad how quickly they pulled away from that.

Imagine if they'd kept the gimmick of Tony's therapy being a framing device that allowed for him giving narration over scenes.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
The thing to keep in mind about the pilot is that it was filmed in 1997, so they had a full year between getting picked up by HBO and starting the filming of the rest of the season.

That is a lot of time to adjust things.

David Chase's backup plan was to get some more money and shoot an extra 45 minutes to turn it into a movie instead. In which case, it would have been a lesser Goodfellas I guess.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Dawgstar posted:

I think the peak (or possibly nadir) was 'A Hit Is A Hit' which really did feel like a sitcom with a TV Guide blurb like 'Ade wants to go into the music biz with the help of a gansta rapper, Chris disapproves; Tony feels used by his new non-mafia friends; Carmela plays the stock market.' It doesn't have anything to do with the two episodes it's in the middle of, with 'Boca' giving us the catalyst of Tony finding out Uncle Junior whistles to the wheat fields and 'Nobody Knows Anything' where they think Pussy might be a rat and he vanishes.

Yeah honestly that's the only season 1 episode that I flat out didn't enjoy rewatching - I probably spent more time looking at Twitter than the screen. I was never a fan of any of Chris' dalliances with the entertainment biz though, even if there's something true to life about an amateur gangster producing a lovely made for DVD horror film.

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

I'LL PUNISH YOU ACCORDING TO YOUR CRIME

Dawgstar posted:

I think the peak (or possibly nadir) was 'A Hit Is A Hit' which really did feel like a sitcom with a TV Guide blurb like 'Ade wants to go into the music biz with the help of a gansta rapper, Chris disapproves; Tony feels used by his new non-mafia friends; Carmela plays the stock market.' It doesn't have anything to do with the two episodes it's in the middle of, with 'Boca' giving us the catalyst of Tony finding out Uncle Junior whistles to the wheat fields and 'Nobody Knows Anything' where they think Pussy might be a rat and he vanishes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7sSIE-o2V9g&t=73s

Such a cornball ending.

CHODEGOD420
Oct 27, 2020

by Athanatos
Stay out of our way, and don't be so gay

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

CHODEGOD420 posted:

I like how Defiler sounded like lovely latter day Guns n Roses. That song could've been on Chinese Democracy.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
If you haven't seen it yet make sure you watch Im The Loop by armando ianucci which Gandolfini plays a big and great part of.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

MrBling posted:

The thing to keep in mind about the pilot is that it was filmed in 1997, so they had a full year between getting picked up by HBO and starting the filming of the rest of the season.

That is a lot of time to adjust things.

David Chase's backup plan was to get some more money and shoot an extra 45 minutes to turn it into a movie instead. In which case, it would have been a lesser Goodfellas I guess.

Sopranos is up there with Mad Men for pilots that look almost completely then the rest of the show.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

CHODEGOD420 posted:

I really wish they had released singles for Defiler/Visiting Day, the songs are just so perfect, like the argument over whether “Sharon’s Chair” or “Melt” would be their first hit single.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

"I've recorded in Denmark" I have to admit is an amazing line even as I ran down the episode.

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

I'LL PUNISH YOU ACCORDING TO YOUR CRIME

Dawgstar posted:

"I've recorded in Denmark" I have to admit is an amazing line even as I ran down the episode.

The ultimate :smuggo: line.

CHODEGOD420
Oct 27, 2020

by Athanatos
"Richie had third-degree burns from trying to grill that trout with a downed power line"

and

"maybe you should suck on another downed power line"

are genius comedy

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
“We’ll use a ukulele or something...” after he breaks the acoustic guitar over Richie’s head.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

meoww!

CHODEGOD420
Oct 27, 2020

by Athanatos

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

hottake: furio would not have hosed up the hit on Philly L if he were still around.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
Ade: I don't know why we fight so much

Christopher: It's my fault, I don't communicate my needs

loving :lol:

potee
Jul 23, 2007

Or, you know.

Not fine.

Matt Zerella posted:

Ade: I don't know why we fight so much

Christopher: It's my fault, I don't communicate my needs

loving :lol:

I'm going to start using the phrase "abundant intentionality" in work meetings.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
Dominic Chianese is on the latest Talkin Sopranos podcast and it's a pretty good interview. He sounds really good and I swear for some reason I thought he had died. I might have been thinking of Bruno Kirby.

https://talkingsopranos.simplecast.com/

CHODEGOD420
Oct 27, 2020

by Athanatos
Calm down, we're not making a western here

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

BiggerBoat posted:

Dominic Chianese is on the latest Talkin Sopranos podcast and it's a pretty good interview. He sounds really good and I swear for some reason I thought he had died. I might have been thinking of Bruno Kirby.

https://talkingsopranos.simplecast.com/

I was surprised to see he's only 89. I pinned him as late 70s when Sopranos started. I guess that's not a compliment but I'm glad he's alive.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

stev posted:

I was surprised to see he's only 89. I pinned him as late 70s when Sopranos started. I guess that's not a compliment but I'm glad he's alive.

It is usually better to get not-so-old people and age them up with make-up to get that look, because real old people can't do the hours and the physical activity sometimes needed. Carl Reiner by the end was doing cameos sitting in a chair for a decade.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

He never had the makings of a varsity old person

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

banned from Starbucks posted:

He never had the makings of a varsity old person

You posted that in front of the girl Aunts, which was very upsetting to me.

Kemper Boyd
Aug 6, 2007

no kings, no gods, no masters but a comfy chair and no socks

stev posted:

I think he still has an active singing career, which tend to be indicative of a robust health.

Unless you're like, Lemmy Kilmister.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Dominic Chianese did six songs at the con and you’d never know he was that old with those pipes.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

You hear about the Chinese godfather?

CHODEGOD420
Oct 27, 2020

by Athanatos
I get it, he drives a caddilac

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Is there a more masterful and intense conversation on the show than the Tony Ralphie convo right after Jackie Jr knocks off the card game?

Goddamn that's possibly the best moment of season 3. The look on Ralph's face when he leaves and they way they play hot potato on the decision is unreal.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Only somewhat a comedy option, Richie trying to sweettalk Albert Barese into siding with him against Tony:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6g3Nvi5vVxw

Albert's not the smartest guy in the world, but he basically manages to talk his way through the conversation keeping as neutral as possible until Richie forces him to tell him straight to his face,"No." At which point Richie has to walk away, because he's the one who has tried to finesse him and the very reason he's come to Albert in the first place (the power of he and Larry Boy's crew) is the exact same reason he can't do his usual thing of losing his poo poo and lashing out violently.

Jerusalem fucked around with this message at 03:53 on Jan 28, 2021

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Jerusalem posted:

Only somewhat a comedy option, Richie trying to sweettalk Albert Barese into siding with him against Tony:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6g3Nvi5vVxw

Albert's not the smartest guy in the world, but he basically manages to talk his way through the conversation keeping as neutral as possible until Richie forces him to tell him straight to his face,"No." At which point Richie has to walk away, because he's the one who has tried to finesse him and the very reason he's come to Albert in the first place (the power of he and Larry Boy's crew) is the exact same reason he can't do his usual thing of losing his poo poo and lashing out violently.

I always enjoyed that the most competent mob guys were the ones who always kept their heads down and didn't go in for any of that insane poo poo like the main cast did. Every time it looks like they're getting dragged in to a power play or some drama they just kind of nod and try to play it as neutral as they can.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Goddammit what's it like to live in a house that's fully stocked for a baller sundae at any moment?

CHODEGOD420
Oct 27, 2020

by Athanatos

Matt Zerella posted:

Goddammit what's it like to live in a house that's fully stocked for a baller sundae at any moment?

Turning into AJ

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

CHODEGOD420 posted:

Turning into AJ

BEEEEP be a leada not a followa *throws bat*

CHODEGOD420
Oct 27, 2020

by Athanatos
So what, no fuckin' ziti now?

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Matt Zerella posted:

This says with pulp. I like the one with some pulp.

Suxpool
Nov 20, 2002
I want something good to die for...to make it beautiful to live
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZhDq-70caV0

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Actual question: What's the current state of the american mafia cause things looked pretty grim during the time period the show depicted.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Stairmaster posted:

Actual question: What's the current state of the american mafia cause things looked pretty grim during the time period the show depicted.

They're still around. They're much more centralized to the northeast US and like Chicago now. They subcontract a lot of work to outlaw motorcycle clubs* and find out new ways to pull the same old tricks. They have to be a lot more careful in how they do business now thanks to RICO.

*Go ahead, somebody. You know you want to.